• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Quick Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
You're all very helpful. Just a few more questions:

Once my pokerus goes away I get a little pink symbol, it still has the pokerus effect on it right?

An example for my next question: If I want to get 56 attack, and i have pokerus (x2 evs) and machobrace (x2 evs) i only have to kill 14 patrats? Does this count if another pokemon kills them for my dratini who is wearing an exp share?

Even if they can't spread it, it will still give them double EVs.

And no, it doesn't work like that because your Dratini can't hold an exp. share and a macho brace at the same time. So you'd have to kill twice as many if you're using an exp. share.

Molts

Novice Breeder
Years
  • Age 32
  • USA
  • Seen Nov 13, 2013
You're all very helpful. Just a few more questions:

Once my pokerus goes away I get a little pink symbol, it still has the pokerus effect on it right?

An example for my next question: If I want to get 56 attack, and i have pokerus (x2 evs) and machobrace (x2 evs) i only have to kill 14 patrats? Does this count if another pokemon kills them for my dratini who is wearing an exp share?

Yes, the pokerus effect remains forever, but that pokemon may no longer spread the effect to other pokemon, so its always best to keep one pokemon in the PC with it so you can transfer it whenever you need to.

Not sure about the EV calculation though.

Years
  • Seen Apr 7, 2013
Ok so I would have to kill 28 patrats with my dratini holding an exp share if i want 56 atk. This doesn't affect the EV gain if another pokemon is doing the killing correct?

chaos11011

[untitled]
Years
  • Age 27
  • MA
  • Seen May 4, 2021
But once I do that? My EVs will be maxed and I can kill whatever pokemon i want without ruining the EVs??

Well kinda, you will have 2 leftover EVs afterwards, though it doesn't really matter since 2 EVs do not effect any stat gain (4 Evs = 1 Stat Point)

Also about the Exp.Share question, Exp.Share does pass EVs weild, but you will get a diffrent amout from the one wearing the Macho Brace. Like if a Macho brace pokemon holds kills a Patrat(+PKRS) it will get 4 EVs, but the EXPShare Pokemon will only get 2 (if it has Pokerus)

Also, the Pink symbol still allows you to gain double the EVs you obtain, but you can't "pass the virus" to other Pokemon.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Ok so I would have to kill 28 patrats with my dratini holding an exp share if i want 56 atk. This doesn't affect the EV gain if another pokemon is doing the killing correct?

Nope, you've got it right. EVs are multiplied with the exp. share, not split like the experience is. Each Pokemon will get 1 attack EV, multiplied by Pokerus or items or whatever. So Dratini would get two, which means 28 patrats/lillipups.

Years
  • Seen Apr 7, 2013
Fantastic.

What about this? How do you guys usually breed your pokemon? Is there some secret quick way? What I do is let my dratini breed 5 eggs for my party, i got on one of the long bridges and just run up and down until they all hatch.

Is this a good way or is there a more efficient way?

btw, i really really appreciate all the help.

chaos11011

[untitled]
Years
  • Age 27
  • MA
  • Seen May 4, 2021
I use the small path along the Daycare Center, just because the Daycare Man tells you when another Egg has been discovered. Though I use that method mainly because I hatch eggs while getting eggs, if that makes any sense.

Years
  • Seen Apr 7, 2013
I use the small path along the Daycare Center, just because the Daycare Man tells you when another Egg has been discovered. Though I use that method mainly because I hatch eggs while getting eggs, if that makes any sense.

Makes a ton of sense, you would have to use the PC every now and than but that seems very effective.

One hopefully last question :P:

What are the groups like for the nature types for breeding. For example if I want a timid nature charmander, what kind of charmander nature would help breed a timid nature?

Molts

Novice Breeder
Years
  • Age 32
  • USA
  • Seen Nov 13, 2013
Fantastic.

What about this? How do you guys usually breed your pokemon? Is there some secret quick way? What I do is let my dratini breed 5 eggs for my party, i got on one of the long bridges and just run up and down until they all hatch.

Is this a good way or is there a more efficient way?

btw, i really really appreciate all the help.

Another good spot is in the battle subway, you can hold down the left button and go around and around forever. I sometimes do this so that you can be reading something else, while passively hatching eggs. :)

Years
  • Seen Apr 7, 2013
Atk
Route 1 - Lillipup (50%, 1 Atk) and Patrat (50%, 1 Atk)

I saw that in the EV pokemon guide. What does the 50% mean as opposed to some pokemon that have 100%

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Atk
Route 1 - Lillipup (50%, 1 Atk) and Patrat (50%, 1 Atk)

I saw that in the EV pokemon guide. What does the 50% mean as opposed to some pokemon that have 100%

50% appearance rate. Half of the Pokemon there are Lillipups, and half of them are Patrats.

Years
  • Seen Apr 7, 2013
I have to kill 126 litwicks instead of 63 because my dratini cannot fight them herself as she is too low a level. How do people normally deal with this and raise their ev training pokemons level without ruining the distribution?

Molts

Novice Breeder
Years
  • Age 32
  • USA
  • Seen Nov 13, 2013
I have to kill 126 litwicks instead of 63 because my dratini cannot fight them herself as she is too low a level. How do people normally deal with this and raise their ev training pokemons level without ruining the distribution?

Well, its a task of patience. When you're playing the main story, it would be very time consuming to EV train at the same time. while after the main story, you have greater mobility and a lot more options to train with.

Once a Pokemon's EV's are maxed they don't change, so you only have to do it once per Pokemon, which is a reasonable goal for most people. Since once you're done you can battle all you want and whatever you want to get to lvl 100.

Starrodkirby86

Das Kirby
Years
Makes a ton of sense, you would have to use the PC every now and than but that seems very effective.

One hopefully last question :P:

What are the groups like for the nature types for breeding. For example if I want a timid nature charmander, what kind of charmander nature would help breed a timid nature?

It's all random unless the mother or Ditto is holding an Everstone, then that Pokemon's nature will have a 50% chance of transferring over. So you'll need to either get a Timid mommy Charmander/Charmeleon/Charizard or a Timid Ditto. Just a note that this won't work if the parents are from different countries.

Also, when I have to fight Pokemon that are higher leveled than me in EV's, I'll just switch them out. You know, like, have them in the lead, then switch immediately to someone who already maxed out their EVs and are presumably strong enough to hold their own. They'll still get the EV points, and it won't be shared like Experience.

Years
  • Seen Apr 7, 2013
Also, when I have to fight Pokemon that are higher leveled than me in EV's, I'll just switch them out. You know, like, have them in the lead, then switch immediately to someone who already maxed out their EVs and are presumably strong enough to hold their own. They'll still get the EV points, and it won't be shared like Experience.

Wow so simple. So I can get the x4 with my dratini holding a macho brace and having pokerus, all i have to do is switch him out right away. Sweet :D

Wow so simple. So I can get the x4 with my dratini holding a macho brace and having pokerus, all i have to do is switch him out right away.

Can anyone confirm this works for x4 EVs before I start the training?

Last edited:

darkfighter

That random guy
Years
After getting pokemon white ROBBED from me, I sought out to get another copy, because I'm determined to make an epic pokemon team for competitive battling. I thought mostly about typing and a mix between walls, sweepers, and powerhouses. In total, I got a whopping 7 immunities, and 9 resistances from 6 pokemon. I was wondering if this team (by far) would be a good team:

1. Cobalion. The strategy I have in mind for this one is to power it up with Swords Dance/Rock Polish, and then let loose with Sacred Sword/Iron Head. It has to be faced with a pokemon with moves that are basically terrible against it, like say...Scissor, or it won't work.

2. Chandelure. This is to cover the fire weakness for Cobalion. With Flash Fire, switching in Chandelure gives me a boost on fire moves. I'm thinking about a Will-O-Wisp and Hex combo, but I'm not sure. But Shadow Ball and Flamethrower are a MUST! If I am faced with a Dark type, I could switch in Cobalion to take advantage of the Justified ability. But Pursuit would really kill me...

3. Salamence. Salamence provides a ground immunity, protecting Cobalion, Chandelure, and Metagross (See #5). Salamence is my sweeper, and nothing more to it. Dragon Dance would work well, I guess. Also, I don't have to worry about that 4X Ice weakness, because the rest of the team can take Ice moves pretty well.

4. Politoed. Politoed was added to destroy the Bulky Water types that lurk about...sort of. But that Drizzle ability is awesome.

5. Metagross. I added Metagross to add resistances to Flying and Psychic. Both types are troublesome, as Psychics usually have Ghost-Type moves to destroy Chandelure, and Flying types to get rid of Politoed. Earthquake is a must to get rid of the few Electric pokemon that are around. And...Meteor Mash and Psychic work well too.

6. Chansey. A Special Wall. That and the Evolite will do just fine. The Ghost immunity will help, because Chandelure will be faced against many bad moves like SHADOW BALL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back