• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Developers, developers, developers, developers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
Years
While Unicode sporting corporate-bought emoticons is all great and wonderful, I don't think it's fair. Unicode is supposedly a specification - a standard that everyone follows - and having money shouldn't entitle you to dictate the whims of what others have to support. Be it developers, users, or what.

@Zach I don't see any of those emoticons on Arch Linux. Probably wouldn't even see them on #!. I have a hunch the Linux dev community may feel similar to how I do, eh?

I do like how Font Awesome gets custom TTF work done without buying out the specification, though. Kudos to them.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
Hmm, I think I have seen some of the emojis since I saw it on YouTube with my Firefox in about half a year ago, and it's quite good looking. I'm still quite unsure how to type it in PC, though.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
Years
I really don't like how many closed-market advances are being made in the world of tech. Corporate interests are having so much say in things simply because they're rich and it's not cohesive to keep new ideas flowing into the system. As Linus Torvalds once said, "software is a lot like sex. It's better if it's free."

And it's all the more better than having no choice but to pay for it. Imagine that!

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Feb 16, 2020
I really don't like how many closed-market advances are being made in the world of tech. Corporate interests are having so much say in things simply because they're rich and it's not cohesive to keep new ideas flowing into the system. As Linus Torvalds once said, "software is a lot like sex. It's better if it's free."

And it's all the more better than having no choice but to pay for it. Imagine that!

Yes, everything in the world should be free. Then we'd all live in a perfect world, right? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back