• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Zelda: Oracles Engine; for Game Maker

DaSpirit

Mad Programmer
Years
The OP already choose his tool. He already explained his reasons.

Sorry bro, but the STL is bad because you cannot directly control how it allocates memory. No professional game developers uses it because of this. It relies on the heap too much rather than on the stack which is considerably slower. It's not designed for games. It's made for general use. You should read about programming game engines, I have a book (written by the lead of Naughty Dog) that I refer to.

Don't try to suggest something like this. The OP probably knows his/her options prior to making an engine and they would have chosen the best tool they could have made.

Now back to topic:
@Nintendork15: Have you figured out how the red/blue switches will work yet? If done correctly, you should be able to stand on high blocks if you switch it while standing on a lowered one. It's probably the most difficult you would have to add, as it might have to change your collision system. It was the first thing I always programmed whenever I made an Oracles engine.

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
Years
Sorry bro, but the STL is bad because you cannot directly control how it allocates memory. No professional game developers uses it because of this. It relies on the heap too much rather than on the stack which is considerably slower. It's not designed for games. It's made for general use. You should read about programming game engines, I have a book (written by the lead of Naughty Dog) that I refer to.

The STL has been used in many professional games also it's defined by the very same standard document that defines the language itself. Read this

interesting how your trying to tell me what to do..
Don't try to suggest something like this.
haha

But im done with this arguement...

OP, is this gonna be a SDK for others to use or a game in development? If its an SDK can it be used with the free version of GM?

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
Yeah the people who made it are in fact experts who have made the entire engine probably in C++. The industry standard.

at the college level you shouldn't be learning such things. Besides, GML is not a good language to learn its sloppy it teaches you bad programming habits. Its like trying to shoot fish in a barrel. Your not gonna learn algebra in college are you? No your expected to go into college knowing algebra.

As I said above GameMaker is very basic, its like the ABC blocks a baby would use. There is not one area of professional game development that I know of that your experience with GameMaker will be beneficial. Since this is a college class I assume you want to develop games seriously. You'll see soon enough that GameMaker will not help you reach that goal.

As a hobbyist GameMaker wouldn't be a bad toy. If you want to seriously develop games you'll need to look into more professional languages. It doesn't necessarily have to be C++, it could be Java, Python, LUA, C, C++, C# or other languages that engines use such as UnityScript or UnrealScript.

I presume the way you describe college you're out of the UK area.
In UK college is a High school level, i think, of America.
University is where you need to know all the stuff before entering.

And besides I come to college to learn not to show what I know. It's a waste of money otherwise.

ANyway, Last night I started working on dungeons, but no screenshot yet...

Catman

Testosterone Incarnate
Years
Not to sound harsh but any college teaching/using Game Maker should not be teaching Game Development.. But It was just a suggestion, I see you have no intention of switching so good luck and i'll be following your progress... because i think this is cool :)

We're only using GML as a simple example of Object oriented programming.

Anyway, you want me to do the up-scaling thing for you again Varion? It looked like you had lost that part

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
We're only using GML as a simple example of Object oriented programming.

Anyway, you want me to do the up-scaling thing for you again Varion? It looked like you had lost that part

I know what to do with that now.

Rafael-animal

Pokémon DS Kit
Years
  • Seen Mar 27, 2015
I always wanted to create my own Zelda game... I hope you release it soon :D
Lucky (;

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
''Lucky (;''

Not sure what I'm lucky for?
but nyeh.
Release won't be any day now, most likely. Got lots to do.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
zelda2.jpg

Sword is being done.
Animations and cutting work.

Anyway, I'm not sure of what use this project really is. It seems outdated in terms of graphical style and therefore perhaps even a few features so only a few would really want to use it. Honestly, I think more people would use a Minish Cap styled engine.

Like I've said in an earlier post, if people wish to change the graphics for the engine they can't. It won't be that hard to do.

Catman

Testosterone Incarnate
Years
zelda2.jpg

Sword is being done.
Animations and cutting work.

Like I've said in an earlier post, if people wish to change the graphics for the engine they can't. It won't be that hard to do.

Lol, that can't is supposed to be a can right?
And I have thought of a way of making the sprites recognise one sheet (Making use of the import from strip's selection areas) which includes the animations. So yeah, we should try to sort this out because it'll making graphics swaps much, much easier.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
lol, yeah it's a can.
But as of now, I'm fine with the way I'm doing things.

Lin

JohtoMap/ZOLE Creator
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 26, 2014
Looks pretty good so far! Just so you know though, ZOLE can export entire tilesets from both games, which might be easier for you when it comes to mapping instead of using fan-made maps. :)

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
Looks pretty good so far! Just so you know though, ZOLE can export entire tilesets from both games, which might be easier for you when it comes to mapping instead of using fan-made maps. :)

In the .gmk file I have added the maps of Ages, seasons and Fan Made Hours.
So they have 3 styles to choose from. But I may need to export the dungeon tiles from that, actually.

Years
  • Seen Nov 21, 2012
I am super-excited for this. Keep it up!

My only complaints are the top menu would not be transparent because the GBC actually isn't capable of that (to my knowledge..)

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
I am super-excited for this. Keep it up!

My only complaints are the top menu would not be transparent because the GBC actually isn't capable of that (to my knowledge..)

It needs to be transparent, over link can walk under it and you won't see him.
And, it can be change able to anyone who wishes.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
It's hard to put in with the way I'm doing things.
The HUD bar itself is not an object, it's shown using codes.
So it doesn't and can't have collision data. I know what your saying, but I can't make it 100% to the original.

Years
  • Seen Nov 21, 2012
It's hard to put in with the way I'm doing things.
The HUD bar itself is not an object, it's shown using codes.
So it doesn't and can't have collision data. I know what your saying, but I can't make it 100% to the original.
Isn't it possible to show the status bar at the top "offscreen"? Because when the player moves between zones and different screens, it will look very weird with it ontop of the player. Furthermore, it might frustrate those going for 8-bit accuracy.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
That would mean extending the port on screen and camera view, therefore viewing what's gonna be where I've just extended everything.

No matter which way you or I go of thinking about this, the chances of a solution are slim.

DaSpirit

Mad Programmer
Years
Chances of solution slim? Huh? I have tons of ideas of how to make something like this work.

Easiest solution: Why don't you just make another view?

Back