• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen X/Y General Chat and Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

blue

gucci
Years
I think the division of HMS & TMS are by the use of them, so TMS are used in-battle whereas HMS are used both in and out of battle to navigate through the game, which is why I think they will keep to this mechanism for the time being.

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
With TMs now becoming reusable and the existence of non-HM moves like Flash, there's really no point in having HMs back, because really, new players will think it's lame to have certain reusable moves that can't be removed easily.

Nah, HMs are too important. What if you taught over Surf or something and trapped yourself?

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
Years
The Reason you cant forget Surf is because you might choose to forget Surf on a one tile large island and then be stuck forever. You would have no choice but to Erase your game.

That is what makes an HM, how bad you can F*** yourself if you delete it.

I would Like an HM system not based on specific attacks but on the 17 elemental types in general. you just need "A Fire Type attack" to burn a tree.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
Yeah HM's becoming natural traits would be better. I just don't get the logic that you need a fancy disc to teach your Pokemon how to swim, how to fly or go against a current. I mean really, they fly, swim, and do all the other stuff by natural survival skills, why not have them as such.

blue

gucci
Years
They could even revert back to the old method of having limited TMS, although unlikely it's still something they could do which would be in favor of keeping HMS.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
They could even revert back to the old method of having limited TMS, although unlikely it's still something they could do which would be in favor of keeping HMS.
I can't fault you for wanting a tradition being kept, but its a stagnating own, and it just slows things down. Everyone has their opinions though, and I'm glad you're sticking up for them. But man, wanting the world burn by reverting back to 1 one use TM's to give HM's a reason? You sir are sick.

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
Years
Tackle now does 50 Normal-Type Damage. HM01 Cut does 50 Normal-Type Damage. Do you see a problem here. This HM move is as strong as an attack most pokemon know when they are BORN.

Compare that to Surf which is arguably the best Water attack in the game.

Cut and Slash should be combined into one move. 70 Power +1 Crit Stage - teachable to any pokemon who could learn Cut before - would make that HM useable. That increases the odds of a player having Cut with him.

As it is now, you never use Cut because in handicaps your Pokemon.

Last edited:

blue

gucci
Years
I can't fault you for wanting a tradition being kept, but its a stagnating own, and it just slows things down. Everyone has their opinions though, and I'm glad you're sticking up for them. But man, wanting the world burn by reverting back to 1 one use TM's to give HM's a reason? You sir are sick.

I'm not saying I want them to revert back, I support the infinite TM feature I'm just keeping the options open of what they could do.

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
Yep, HMs will make a return to Pokémon X and Y, no doubt about it. Acting in the same way as their predecessors did, and probably would remain that HM moves can't be forgotten normally unless you go to the move deleter, which would make the Pokémon forget the HM move.

Guy

just a guy
Years
Or what if someone traded the Pokémon with the move and you didn't have the HM yet?
You wouldn't be able to use the move outside of battle until you receive the badge that is required before using the HM move on the field.

I don't believe HMs are going anywhere, even though I do prefer the idea of using certain Pokémon with certain field capabilities to navigate yourself around obstacles a la the Pokémon Ranger games. Which I still believe they could use in the main rpg's so trainers don't move off course too quickly.

Other than that, maybe we can expect a new HM or two like we did in DPPt. But if it's anything as useless as Defog, omg... :|

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
ya I'm hoping they don't make a repeat of Defog either. It was just... so useless. But by this generation I doubt HMs will have as much use as they did in the past anyways, and rather there will be more alternatives for the most part.

Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2014
Yeah i hope they don't make something like Flash or Defog again.Actually i'd like to see more non-HM moves used outside of battle like for example Explosion used to clear out debris or blow down walls or something.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
You wouldn't be able to use the move outside of battle until you receive the badge that is required before using the HM move on the field.

I don't believe HMs are going anywhere, even though I do prefer the idea of using certain Pokémon with certain field capabilities to navigate yourself around obstacles a la the Pokémon Ranger games. Which I still believe they could use in the main rpg's so trainers don't move off course too quickly.

Other than that, maybe we can expect a new HM or two like we did in DPPt. But if it's anything as useless as Defog, omg... :|

They stopped needing Badges to use HMs in Gen 5. I don't think they'll get rid of HMs either. HMs have been in the games for too long to be randomly removed.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
In that aspect, it's up to the reader to decide what to believe and what not to believe. As I pointed out it's a speculation thread so as it stands I'm pretty sure most people are aware that an eeveelution isn't confirmed. A simple Google search can clear up any doubts or rumors if somebody actually believes some of the speculation here. To limit the way people speak or word their sentences in a speculation thread is borderline ridiculous man (excluding forum rules).
My point is that people are coming here, reading all the Eeveelution discussion, and going away with the knowledge that an Eeveelution is coming. It's not even confirmed yet.

We can't base it off a pattern since there's been a couple of occasions where we've had eeveelutons and then none. We could get an eeveelution with all this promotion of Eevee but then that could be irrelevant to Gen VI, we just don't know. It also could be any of the remaining types since they all have potential to be an eeveelution. IMO I think we could well get a flying type Eeveelution.
Flying-type Eeveelution comes to my mind as a nice one, as well. A Dragon-type would be a difficult one to use as I also find other Dragon-types (since they are weak to themselves) so I wouldn't want to see that type.

With TMs now becoming reusable and the existence of non-HM moves like Flash, there's really no point in having HMs back, because really, new players will think it's lame to have certain reusable moves that can't be removed easily.
HMs are blocked from use outside of battle until certain Gyms are beaten. I haven't seen GF do this with TMs, though some hacks have prevented these from use outside of battle in hacks.

Nah, HMs are too important. What if you taught over Surf or something and trapped yourself?
Let's complicate this. You get to a city only accessible by water. You then reach the PC and start organizing your Pokés, and accidentally say goodbye to your Surf and Whirlpool user (I've done accidents before, I just quit without saving). You are literally trapped on the island unless there happen to be more Surf users in the water around the island. Furthermore, you have to be able to fish for them; without the fishing rod, you ARE actually trapped.

Obviously the player can take care of this by catching as many Pokémon as possible, but if you really want to account for something like what you suggested, let's think about the fact that you can reteach an HM move to the original learner. Once you say goodbye to someone, you can't get that back.

Tackle now does 50 Normal-Type Damage. HM01 Cut does 50 Normal-Type Damage. Do you see a problem here. This HM move is as strong as an attack most pokemon know when they are BORN.
Yes, Cut needs an upgrade in power. Tackle may one day exceed Cut otherwise.

But what if you were surfing at the time... would you just sink? Or what if someone traded the Pokémon with the move and you didn't have the HM yet?
Touche, sir, on the sinking.

However, if you receive a Surf user in trade, chances are the game would still disallow it outside of battle; after all, you have to receive the HM to use it normally, and this is usually programmed in a spot either before or immediately after you can start using it.

They stopped needing Badges to use HMs in Gen 5. I don't think they'll get rid of HMs either. HMs have been in the games for too long to be randomly removed.
Really? I missed this somehow?

Cyclone

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
I hope they do the badge and HM thing, Gen 5 had very little use for HM so I guess it was justified but it also made it too easy. I hope this region has more harsh terrain that needs rock crushing, surfing, and climbing up slopes and waterfalls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back