• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Inserting New Pokemon for n00bs

Years
  • Seen Jul 8, 2011
INSERTING NEW POKEMON

Hi all,
I actually typed the whole tut out but pokecomunity rejected it because smilies are html. My incorrect spelling and punctuation are because I'm getting frustrated.

Anywayses... I looked around and I found many confusing tuts about inserting pokemon. Almost all of them either didn't work, were really vague, or were on the advanced level of hex-editing (well, advanced for us n00bs) so I decided to write my own Tut the way I do it. The pallete changing part isn't 100% tested but it should work.

This TUT does NOT cover using APE. If you are smart enough to figure out APE you probably don't need to be reading this tut

Tools you may need to use/abuse:
unLZ
PokeEdit Pro
Paint
RSBall
FreeSpaceFinder
Any program with a color picker that shows rgb values (I use GIMP)
IconEd (optional)
APE (can do without but if you know how to use it it can be a real timesaver)
A BRAIN! (at least i'm pretty sure...)
Note: Steps 1-4 are for non game-ready sprites. if you already have a pallete imported, and a sprite that uses that pallete, skip to step 5.

Step 1: retrieving the pallete
open up RSBall and find a Pokemon with as similar colors to your sprite as you can find. Copy the pallete offset down on a piece of paper or a txt file or something then Export the image as a bmp if you can. Open it up in your other image editor. Then open YOUR sprite in paint.

Step 2: retrieve RGB values
On the sprite you got from step 1 (not YOUR sprite) use color picker to select a color. You need to write down the rgb values for EVERY color on the sprite. The methods purely depend on the program you are using. In GIMP when you use color picker to select a color a little box pops up. this has the rgb values written on it. write those down but remember which color it is! (for example: white, light blue, blue, dark blue, black.)

Step 3: transfer pallete
You should now open YOUR sprite in paint. Go to Colors>Edit Colors and click on Define Cutom Colors. Click on an empty custom color box and input a set of rgb values from before. Repeat this until youv'e used up all the rgb values. The Custom Colors boxes should now contain the colors from step 2.

Step 4: recolor
Using the custom colors you just got recolor YOUR sprite. Make sure you keep the same shading (Hint: switch dark colors with other dark colors) save the finished product as a png if you can.

Step 5: FreeSpaceFinder
You don't need the other sprite (the one open in GIMP or whatever) close it. open up the folder where you just saved YOUR recolored sprite. right-click on YOUR recolored sprite and select properties. look at the size in BYTES and remember it. Now open Free Space Finder and search from begining of ROM using the size you just looked at plus ten bytes just in case. Copy the offset given and write it down. You may need it later.

Step 6: unLZ
Open unLZ. navigate to the 2nd empty pokemon slot (look some where around #964) click import and browse to YOUR sprite. Select it then click ok. Make sure it looks okay then click write to ROM. In the box for Image offset paste the number from FSF and add 2 zeros in front. Then in the box for Pallete offset type the offset you got in step 1. Put a check in every checkbox except export pallete. Then click OK. Navigate to the next sprite then go back. If the sprite is really messed up (NOT the colors. They will look messed up but will be correct ingame) you did something wrong. If the SPRITE looks mostly okay close unLZ and go to Step 7.

Step 7: PokeEdit Pro
Open PokeEdit Pro and open your ROM. Open the second blank pokemon spot (not including the one before bulbasuar). On the right you should see boxes for all the offsets. Use the same offsets you used in step 6 for the image offset and normal pallete. Then edit the stats as you see fit and save.

OPTIONAL: Backsprites, Icons, Attacks
For Backsprites just repeat steps 1-7 using the backsprites and put the offset in PokeEdit Pro. Save.
For Icons use IconEd and select the same spot your new pokemon is in. Remember the Pallete you used and select that in PokeEdit Pro. Save.
For Attacks use FSF to find 1024 bytes free space. copy the offset and in PokeEdit Pro on the far right select insert table, paste the offset plus 2 zeros on the front and select 4 attacks. change the attacks and save.

If this doesn't work tell me.
Hope this helps,
Maroy

Last edited by a moderator:
Years
  • Seen Jul 8, 2011
Well, I'm using Windows 2000 and It's not like I'm going to rewrite the tut every time a new tool comes out... plus these tools are quite a bit simpler than newer tools due to their lack of "functionality" Plus my computer hates Pokecommunity. It won't let me download attachments. So yeah, this is the only way I know how to do it.

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
Years
Hey now, no need to get defensive! I never said this tut didn't work! Heheh, It is pretty good, and it works. And the best part is, it is not just some remake / rewording of another persons tutorial. It is good.

Years
  • Seen Jul 8, 2011
Hey now, no need to get defensive! I never said this tut didn't work! Heheh, It is pretty good, and it works. And the best part is, it is not just some remake / rewording of another persons tutorial. It is good.

I'm sorry If I seemed angry I was just trying to point out that I think the older tools are better, and that my comp sucks. :|

Years
  • Seen May 9, 2010
Where do i get pokeedit pro? i can't find it in the tool box...who makes it? thanks

Sloofish

★Cannibal Psycho Soft For Pkmn
Years
I'm using the following programs,

UNLZ and MS Paint to do all of my sprites and so far it's been working smoothly. One problem though....

When I open the game afterward, the back sprites all look good. One of the starters turns the entire screen red and the bottom halves of their fore sprites turn into something along the lines of the Missing No. Random glitchy white red and black blocks scattered all over the place just passed the middle of the Pokémon sprite.

The images I'm using are PNGs. However, UNLZ tells me that png files are too large when I try to create the sprites. I have tried various programs such as Paint.NET to change the file size or quality of different PNG files. ... Unsuccessful. What am I doing wrong..? ><'

Master Terrador

Mostly Dead
Years

I'm using the following programs,

UNLZ and MS Paint to do all of my sprites and so far it's been working smoothly. One problem though....

When I open the game afterward, the back sprites all look good. One of the starters turns the entire screen red and the bottom halves of their fore sprites turn into something along the lines of the Missing No. Random glitchy white red and black blocks scattered all over the place just passed the middle of the Pokémon sprite.

The images I'm using are PNGs. However, UNLZ tells me that png files are too large when I try to create the sprites. I have tried various programs such as Paint.NET to change the file size or quality of different PNG files. ... Unsuccessful. What am I doing wrong..? ><'

A similar thing goes wrong when I Do this (but, I redirect them to an empty space first) but when ever I start a battle with the pokemon the game either freezes or resets itself...Whats going wrong?

P.S-Can ya tell me where I can get FSF?

Years
  • Seen Jul 8, 2011
make sure you're repointing to enogh space. FSF can be found at pokemonhackersonline.

Years
  • Seen Jul 8, 2011
That wasn't a download link, but anyway yeah HackMew makes it I forgot XD

Years
  • Seen Jan 17, 2010
I'm able to properly insert the graphics and edit its stats and moves, but everytime I capture the Pokemon in-game, the Pokedex screen causes issues that tend to result in a lock-up. I would edit the entry, except for the fact that it technically doesn't exist.

Is there a way to create extra Pokedex slots for the new Pokemon added to the game? Otherwise, the only way to insert a non-glitchy Pokemon into the game would be to remove a different Pokemon.

Also, sorry if this is the wrong place to put this. I looked everywhere for a tutorial on how to add slots, but couldn't find one. This seemed to be the best thread to ask the question, and I certainly didn't want to make a thread based solely on this question.

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
Years
I'm able to properly insert the graphics and edit its stats and moves, but everytime I capture the Pokemon in-game, the Pokedex screen causes issues that tend to result in a lock-up. I would edit the entry, except for the fact that it technically doesn't exist.

Is there a way to create extra Pokedex slots for the new Pokemon added to the game? Otherwise, the only way to insert a non-glitchy Pokemon into the game would be to remove a different Pokemon.

Also, sorry if this is the wrong place to put this. I looked everywhere for a tutorial on how to add slots, but couldn't find one. This seemed to be the best thread to ask the question, and I certainly didn't want to make a thread based solely on this question.

So far as I know, the simplest way to do this would be to disable the pokedex... but this would be noticed, that is why the extra 25 spaced pokemon are usually event pokemon... I don't remember if re-pointing the data would work.

Years
  • Seen Jul 8, 2011
Theoretically you could repoint the data but i'm no good with hex or asm

Years
  • Seen Jan 17, 2010
0m3GA ARS3NAL said:
So far as I know, the simplest way to do this would be to disable the pokedex... but this would be noticed, that is why the extra 25 spaced pokemon are usually event pokemon... I don't remember if re-pointing the data would work.
That works I suppose. Unfortunate that you lose that touch of authenticity though.
maroy said:
Theoretically you could repoint the data but i'm no good with hex or asm
That may merit further looking into. I'll see what I can find.

MMGiru

Dilettante Extraordinaire
Years
sooo...

So far as I can tell, I followed all the steps shown. When I open it in vba link, however, I immediately get a whitescreen. Throwin' that out there; wondering what I did wrong.

Back