• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fixing Map Footers

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
Years
Requirements:
:pokeball: A ROM with a corrupted footer
:pokeball: A Clean ROM
:pokeball: Advance Map
:pokeball: A Hex Editor (I use Hex Workshop)

Now, if you ever read Don Patch's tutorial on the Advance Map method of tile inserting, map footers can corrupt. This can also happen by making a new map and and inserting it over a map which shares a footer with another map. Basically, it's due to bad repointing from Advance Map.

Now you can tell if a map had a corrupted footer because when you click on it this will appear.

and after that, Lu-Ho's contact info will appear.
Now to fix this, go to the corrupted map and enable pro-header view (Ctrl + H).
Nex find the footer offset and copy it.

Open your ROM with the bad map and go to the offset you just copied,
You'l see some FFFF which are the badly repointed bytes of the footer.

Now open a clean ROM of the same version in your Hex Editor.
Go to the same offset and you'll see the bytes which should be there.

Now copy and paste those bytes over the FF in the other ROM.
Save and go back to a-map.
The map should be black (if not go on another map and then got back to it).

Now just redraw the tiles on the map (the events and map scripts will still be there)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Copyright 2009 Pokepal17
Credits to Andrea/HackMew for showing me this.

Last edited:

mat1554

French Translator
Years
Hi,
I have a question for you, do you give me autorization to translate your tutorial in french for my forum please ? I you want, can you answer me by MP please.

Thank you !
Mat1554

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
Years
Hi,
I have a question for you, do you give me autorization to translate your tutorial in french for my forum please ? I you want, can you answer me by MP please.

Thank you !
Mat1554

Sure, juest credit me and HackMew.

Years
  • Seen Jul 8, 2016
You said, "open your ROM with the bad map and go to the offset you just copied." Open the ROM where? In Advance Map? In the hex editor? In the emulator? If you posted pics they don't show up for me so all I have are the words to go by. I'm confused. My warps work in advance map but the offset is not dividable by 4 so I get a blank screen when trying to enter Professor Oak's lab on my ROM in the emulator.
Requirements:
Open your ROM with the bad map and go to the offset you just copied,
You'l see some FFFF which are the badly repointed bytes of the footer.

Now open a clean ROM of the same version in your Hex Editor.
Go to the same offset and you'll see the bytes which should be there.

Now copy and paste those bytes over the FF in the other ROM.
Save and go back to a-map.
The map should be black (if not go on another map and then got back to it).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Copyright 2009 Pokepal17
Credits to Andrea/HackMew for showing me this.

Back