• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Most overrated generation of Pokemon?

Stormborn

Indecisive
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 26, 2013
Gen I was by far the most overrated.

I bought Blue back in the day and loved it but it shouldn't be put on the pedestal it's on. Sure it's the first of it's kind and thus I'd easily rate it among the best Pokemon games but it was flawed and also buggy at times as well.

It's funny how people claim RBY were the only good games when GSC and BW made multitudes of improvements.

Last edited:

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
Why is it that I feel fifth gen is overrated? Maybe because I really didn't feel it was up to the "Dream Game" standards, which most people thought it was. I mean, it was really cool and all, but it was lower than that of people's views.

Rayziken 2

Beginning ROM Hacker
Years
  • Seen Sep 9, 2016
Generations I and II, considering I class them as the same Generation. Honestly, I've never finished HeartGold or SoulSilver (couldn't play the original G\S\C because I don't have a GameBoy or GameBoy Colour) because they're not interesting enough to make me want to play them. I've also never even managed to get to Lt. Surge in FireRed because the game bores me so much.

Adding on to this, I still pick up Emerald (first Pokémon game), Platinum and White 2, even though I'm actually lost in Emerald (finished the game, went into the Magma Hideout and I've been lost in there for years), so I personally find those Regions more enjoyable.

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
Years
I feel them the second gen is over rated..

1. Kanto take half the Johto dex
2. you can not get the good Johto pokemon until Kanto part
3. Red beginning final boss not the champion.
4. lack of MissingNo!

RoreyG

Lizardon Man
Years
I would have to say Gen 3.

Whilst the Hoenn games did give us better graphics, added a new dynamic with Pokemon natures and gave more variety to the landscaping that we previously had, it also gave us a plethora of useless features. To name a few:

1. Contests

2. Secret Bases

3. The most moronic antagonists in the Pokemon franchise (Seriously, what did Chuck and Maxie hope to gain by either flooding the world, or making it a barren wasteland. Until they unleashed hell, they didn't think that they would be dooming the world's population, including themselves. WTH!!! Giovanni was a mob boss, so we understood his motivations, Cyrus and N both had expressed ideals and Ghetsis was a cut rate Giovanni, so we understood where the rest of those antagonists were coming from, but not these clowns.)

4. Those annoying water paths.

5. The need to constantly use about a million HMs in every dungeon. (the only thing that I could find worse is defog)

Gens 1 and 2 are a tad bit overrated, but justifiably so. Gen 1 laid the foundation for Nintendo's second most successful franchise and Gen 2 set the tone for how the franchise would later evolve. Gen 3, though it has made some significant contributions, I found to add the most useless and nonsensical gimmicks to the franchise.

Whist I find Gen 4 in Sinnoh continued this trend, it did add alot more significant contributions to the franchise (the physical/ special move divide, better moves, more evolutions to pre existing Pokemon) and it's nowhere near as loved as the Hoenn games (thus, can't be any more overrated than those games are).

As far as Unova goes, I rather enjoy Gen 5 (though not as much as the originals) and love the additions of Audino training, unlimited tms (who doesn't) and the legendaries in that region.

Last edited:

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
Years
5. The need to constantly use about a million HMs in every dungeon. (the only thing that I could find worse is defog)

Mt. Coronet would like to have a word with you.

To get to Spear Pillar in Diamond and Pearl (They luckily toned it down in Platinum), you need:
Rock Smash
Strength
Surf
Defog
Rock Climb

That is unforgivably bad.

RoreyG

Lizardon Man
Years
Mt. Coronet would like to have a word with you.

To get to Spear Pillar in Diamond and Pearl (They luckily toned it down in Platinum), you need:
Rock Smash
Strength
Surf
Defog
Rock Climb

That is unforgivably bad.

Mt. Coronet is unforgivably bad, but Victory Road in Hoenn ranks alongside it. You need:
Strength
Rock Smash
Flash
Surf
Waterfall

As I've said, Gen 4 continued most of these annoying trends, but Gen 3 is ultimately the more popular of the two, hence why I rank it as more overrated.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Apr 8, 2013
we are not debating about which generation was the best (just reminding the community and myself)

as for me, I think Gen I too is the most over rated generation. But still it has my respect for starting it all. Sure the game is outdated but we don't need to compare it to its successors especially in terms of content.

they were not developed at the same time and of course with each generation improvements are expected. if your gonna compare a new generation to an old one in terms of content then of course the new one will win.

about gen II being overrated: No it is not over rated, considering how much gap the franchised jumped in terms of improvement from Gen I to Gen II.

i can even say it is under rated, it is just too awesome. all the features introduced made a big shift to the whole franchise (gender, dual typing, new types, breeding, egg hatching, night and day many more)

Plus it feels more like a sequel than BW2 is to BW

compare that to the useless features that were added on Gen 3-5

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
Years
III. Everyone seems to like it, but it has always been my least favorite. I feel that the color scheme is so bland and that the pokemon weren't designed well. There are pokemon I like from the third generation (Skitty <3), but overall, I don't think the games and pokemon were made as well as other generations.

Gen 5, because everyone looks at it with rose-tinted lenses. The scenery is hardly changed the trees look all the same. It wasn't much of a jump from gen 3. The attacks are still lackluster. Hyper beam looks gross now. There's not much that's new to the games. It's over hyped, and people glorify Pokemon. I don't like Zebstrika. Audino's useless. The levels are really high. I have almost all the Pokemon from Unova, and the other generations. They didn't bring any of the old pokemon back until the sequel. There's not much that goes on after completing the Pokedex, getting a certificate.

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
Years
Mt. Coronet is unforgivably bad, but Victory Road in Hoenn ranks alongside it. You need:
Strength
Rock Smash
Flash
Surf
Waterfall

As I've said, Gen 4 continued most of these annoying trends, but Gen 3 is ultimately the more popular of the two, hence why I rank it as more overrated.

Yeah, I won't deny it, Hoenn's Victory Road is pretty damn abysmal. However, you can get by without Flash if you have a map or walkthrough.

Honestly, the reason that Gen. III is more popular is because it is generally accepted that the Hoenn Pokemon are fantastic and the region is a really interesting, tropical region with locations never seen in a prior Pokemon game (rainforest, volcano, undersea, etc.). Whereas Sinnoh was cold, kind of boring, and filled with mostly-non-noteworthy Pokemon, Hoenn was vibrant and colorful.

Plus, as I said before, many of the Hoenn Pokemon designs are amazing (Flygon, Metagross, Sableye, Dusclops, Zangoose, all 3 fully-evolved starters, etc.).

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
Yeah, I won't deny it, Hoenn's Victory Road is pretty damn abysmal. However, you can get by without Flash if you have a map or walkthrough.

Honestly, the reason that Gen. III is more popular is because it is generally accepted that the Hoenn Pokemon are fantastic and the region is a really interesting, tropical region with locations never seen in a prior Pokemon game (rainforest, volcano, undersea, etc.). Whereas Sinnoh was cold, kind of boring, and filled with mostly-non-noteworthy Pokemon, Hoenn was vibrant and colorful.

Plus, as I said before, many of the Hoenn Pokemon designs are amazing (Flygon, Metagross, Sableye, Dusclops, Zangoose, all 3 fully-evolved starters, etc.).

Hoenn is the hardest region to build a team for me, because many of the Hoenn Pokémon are quite awkward and don't learn good moves until high levels or evolve by stones but you only get the stones near the end of the game (I'm looking at you, Seedot and Lotad).

I liked a select few Pokémon from Hoenn, mostly the ones that didn't deviate too much from the early gen art.

In trying to be oh so different, Hoenn is the region that feels the least like a Pokémon game. It's just a bunch of everything crammed into a space that wasn't very big to begin with, and half the map is water and pointless underwater dungeons that just scream laziness on the devs' part. It's interesting how Sinnoh felt much more like a Pokémon game, maybe it's the fact it isn't a tropical area. The coldness of Sinnoh appealed to me a lot, all the evolutions aside from maybe Dusknoir were very much needed, and the few Sinnoh Pokémon are very cool IMO.

Sinnoh is definitely underrated, and it was when the game started to shine in terms of variety and viability of many Pokémon.

Aeon.

Carrion
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 22, 2016
Three. It was fun but...

2019.jpg

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
Years
Gen I. Every one seems to like it since it was the first, but honestly all there is in Gen I is Pidgey, Zubat and Geodude. I also like more complex Pokémon designs, which most Gen I Pokémon did not have.

Gligar

Bruhfication Sayan
Years
All the generations were okay, but generation 4 was a bit too overrated.

FlameChocobo

Warrior of Hoenn
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 27, 2016
*sigh* I know I've been treating it as the worst of all time, but I am going to say this.....

The most overrated generation is...

d2azWFf.png

Generation II

THERE! I said it! I am stating that my least favorite generation is the overrated generation. Pokemon Gold, Silver, and Crystal are considered the holy grail of the series, I respectfully disagree as there are better games out there such as Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald. In fact, it's the worst generation of the series IMO. I played through, researched, and dissect it to point out the flaws that Gold and Silver has. In order to hold the greatest generation of all time title is that it needs to age good. It doesn't meet that criteria because of the flaws that are too glaring to ignore.

Back