• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] Using 'Not-Yet-Released' Pokemon

Years
  • Seen Jul 21, 2015
Hi.
So is it legal to use pokemon like Fennekin, Froakie, Chespin, Xerneas, or Yveltal in a fan game if they are going to be used in the upcoming pokemon games? I'm not sure since they aren't in a public game yet. I don't want people to get sued for something kind of dumb like that. >_>

Also, i'm not sure which section to put this under, so I put it under here cause I thought it would fit.

Last edited:

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
Well, it's no more illegal than the rest of Pokémon fangames.

The follow-up question (which can be made the point of this thread's discussion) is whether you should, even though all the details about said Pokémon aren't known yet.

I think rushing to use these not-yet-new Pokémon is one of the best examples of "new for the sake of new", and is therefore a fantastically daft idea. "New for the sake of new" is by definition a stupid thing to do.

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
Couldn't of been answered any better by anyone else, using them is silly since you may as well draw up your own and use them.

Years
  • Seen Jul 21, 2015
Good point. Because sometimes around deviantArt or other forums I see threads where people are saying "Fan Game including new 6th Gen POKEMON!" And that aroused my brain to think to myself if it was necessary or not..

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
It's up to you obviously, but everything with the new Pokémon is a guessing game, they could end up being new types like Garbage type Pokémon, or Methane Types, or Clown types, who knows, things can change... It's all up to you in the long run.

Ben.

Orange I s l a n d s~
Years
I agree with Maruno's post about 'new for the sake of new' to a certain degree, but I think if you're planning on have all pokemon why not? You're only saving yourself some work when they're all released, it's not like you can't change the information in the future? Inserting something such as fairy type is going to be official (as well as all the new pokemon), it's only a few graphical changes and changing text tiles to add it, and it's literally changing a few lines of text. IMO it's far 'stupid' because you're just helping yourself out in the future, just because they're new I don't think they should have a bad rep for being added in to essentials, they have just as much right to be in as any other pokemon.

the__end

Pixel Artist
Years
  • Seen Jun 9, 2016
Well the most of the new Pokemon can't be added yet (fully) anyways. Besides the front sprites you need back sprites, party icons and cry sounds. Even if you found some front sprites, it doesn't mean you can add them just like that. You need to add MANY "placeholder graphics" and they can't be replaced before someone creates resources that replaces them you know. And there is the question if it is wise to have sprites with different style and quality. There will be a Gen 6 resources pack anyways so why not just wait for it? Of course it is preferable if the resources are made by artists that can imitate the Gen 5 style. Otherwise you will have a mix of styles in your game which doesn't look appealing you know. ;)

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
Well the most of the new Pokemon can't be added yet (fully) anyways. Besides the front sprites you need back sprites, party icons and cry sounds. Even if you found some front sprites, it doesn't mean you can add them just like that. You need to add MANY "placeholder graphics" and they can't be replaced before someone creates resources that replaces them you know. And there is the question if it is wise to have sprites with different style and quality. There will be a Gen 6 resources pack anyways so why not just wait for it? Of course it is preferable if the resources are made by artists that can imitate the Gen 5 style. Otherwise you will have a mix of styles in your game which doesn't look appealing you know. ;)

This is true. Even though like many people I can make my own, it stays that the absence of other graphics is a big barrier.

Well, the main thing is that you should know how to go on. Don't add graphics from 6th gen before it's all revealed out, or else you will end up with bad concepts. What is better to do, is make your game with the existing Pokémon and add 6th Gen Pokémon later on by yourself. That way, you're bound to be more successful. Don't ever wait for the resources, take them along when they come. Game Dev offers the concept of 'nothing is permanent' so you may alter any aspect of your game at any stage.

Also, it's gonna be hard to insert new items, new moves etc. but keep trying. I mean yes it's true that RGSS is a hard language but do you expect to get everything every time?

In short, don't jump the gun before the bullets are reloaded.

Ben.

Orange I s l a n d s~
Years
Don't add graphics from 6th gen before it's all revealed out, or else you will end up with bad concepts.
I don't get how you came up with that, you don't know what you're talking about, at all.
Are you trying to say that no fans are up to standard with Game Freak? Because that's totally wrong, I've seen many, sprites, concepts, artworks, maps, GUI's that I would rate leagues better than the official work. You can't say because honestly it's not true.
I see no problem with adding in the new Pokemon if you're future proofing yourself, there is nothing wrong, they are still as much a Pokemon as well as anyone else.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
I'm the one who thinks that the graphics are the tip of the iceberg and the pokémon data values are the real problem when they differs of the official ones?

Anyway, waits the data and the packs being released. Making a game is like a marathon, rushes at beginning and you lose.

About the "legal" issue, when BW are released at Japan, Nintendo almost take down some popular sites only because these sites showed the new pokémon, imagine fangames...

the__end

Pixel Artist
Years
  • Seen Jun 9, 2016
About the "legal" issue, when BW are released at Japan, Nintendo almost take down some popular sites only because these sites showed the new pokémon, imagine fangames...

Nope, false information. The correct one is that Nintendo almost took down some sites that showed LEAKED BW sprites BEFORE the games were even released. There was no problem showing them after the release or using fan-made sprites before release. ;)

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Apr 7, 2014
Avoiding this- the need to keep up with canon, basically- is part of the reason I decided to go with a full Fakedex for my game.

Back