• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Books What are you currently reading/What's the last thing you read?

Years
Pretty simple - see title.

I'm currently listening (via audiobook) The Hollow of Fear by Sherry Thomas. It's the third book in a series about a female Sherlock Holmes. It's pretty interesting, and I enjoy the twists on classic Sherlock Holmes tales.

I've also just started reading The Heart's Invisible Furies by John Boyne. It's a pretty solid read so far - it's about a boy (so far) who is given up for adoption. It starts off with his mother being banished from her home town and moving to Dublin. She was branded a whore in front of the church's congregation due to being pregnant out of wedlock. Pretty intriguing so far!

What about you? What's the last thing you read? What are you currently reading?

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 8, 2024
Currently reading Long Way Down by Jason Reynolds. Not that far into it, but it's good so far. Also reading Ghost by the same author. I'm quite far in this, and it makes me excited to get to the second book!

baire

many such cases
Years
always wondered why there wasn't a thread like this, am reading:

The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle - Haruki Murakami
love Murakami way too much. shoutout to Aslan for recommending this author

Abstract Algebra - Dummit and Foote
my algebra textbook this year! reading through the sections which weren't covered in class

Introduction to Commutative Algebra - Atiyah and MacDonald
cause Dummit & Foote is painfully dry and it's nice to have another reference for commutative algebra

Last edited:

EmTheGhost

I say a lot of words
Years
  • Age 24
  • Ohio
  • Seen Mar 24, 2023
My last read was Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I'm so glad I finally got around to reading it, because it - it's special. ;_;

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
Years
I don't really read all that much tbh. It's harder on my poor reading comprehension, and I often have to do it when I'm really in the mood.

With that said, I've been trying to read Wings of Fire: The Lost Heir by Tui T. Sutherland. ^^; It has to do with dragons... and it's absolutely AMAZING because they are one of my most favorite creatures.

We're supposed to go to the library today, so I'm hoping to find some good books there.

Last edited:

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
Used to read a lot more when I was younger, haven't done much in the past several years. But the other day I finished reading Dan Brown's Origin.

idk when I'll read something again though, I don't have anything in mind

Years
just wanted to say i finished the book in my first post:
I've also just started reading The Heart's Invisible Furies by John Boyne. It's a pretty solid read so far - it's about a boy (so far) who is given up for adoption. It starts off with his mother being banished from her home town and moving to Dublin. She was branded a whore in front of the church's congregation due to being pregnant out of wedlock. Pretty intriguing so far!
and i have to say that it was SO good. i cried a lot in the last 100ish pages or so. I'm now about to start reading Big Little Lies in preparation of the new season on HBO.

Firebolt

Reach for my hand~
Years
I finally started Derek Landy's Midnight (Skulduggery Pleasant series) in preparation for Bedlam coming out later this year. Honestly, some of this stuff is a bit too creepy for comfort, but I love the dynamic between Skulduggery and Valkyrie and how they've become close over the course of the last..11 books. The series definitely could've ended on book 9, but I'm glad the author decided to take it into this direction to flesh out Valkryie a bit more, as she felt too much like a static punk teen was way more cocky than a detective should be 😂

baire

many such cases
Years
I finished Wind-Up Bird Chronicle today, what a bizarre and fun read. there are still a ton of Murakami books I want to go through but I'm just a bit tired of his typical tropes/themes so I'm gonna read some other stuff atm. but yeh Wind-Up Bird nets two bingos among the Murakami tropes!

GzMx2Fq.jpg

haven't decided what to read next, possible choices I'm considering are... Either/Or (Kierkegaard), Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao (Diaz), Faust (Goethe) and Gravity's Rainbow (Pynchon). but I'm at a lost for what to start

Last edited:

EmTheGhost

I say a lot of words
Years
  • Age 24
  • Ohio
  • Seen Mar 24, 2023
I just finished Greystone Secrets - The Strangers by Margaret Peterson Haddix. I'm a huge fan of Margaret Peterson Haddix, so I was excited to see a new book by her, but I thought it was one of her weaker entries. :/

Spoiler:

Sorvete

Novice
Years
How have I not noticed this thread's existence?

Anyway, I'm reading A Song of Ice and Fire, currently in book three. Imma share my thoughts about some characters if yall don't mind, might come with spoilers:

Arya - Her arc is interesting and pretty distanced from the other POV characters. It started slowly, but at the beginning of book 2 I began to develop some liking for her and enjoy her chapters a little bit more. I like reading the stupid decisions she makes sometimes and her overall thoughts on other people.

Bran - He's alright, and I was really shocked after that fall scene, it made me hate Jaime even more. I mean, yeah his wolf dreams are cool and all, but his chapters aren't really that exciting to me. I do want to see how that crow thing is going to unravel, though.

Catelyn - Very interesting and unique character. She's brave in her own way, and a caring mother. I felt bad when she received those fake news about her children, considering the already traumatic things she's been through.

Daenerys - Not a very interesting character imo, and her dragons only make it worse.

Davos - Blarghhhhhh. Not sure where his arc is going tbh. He's just kinda there to show Stannis and Melisandre, but he's not one of my favorites.

Jaime - His interactions with Brienne are golden. And that battle they had after the Frey died got me really excited to see more of him. Even though I had negative thoughts about him in the beginning, I'm eager to read more of his chapters!

Jon - Interesting in the beginning. I like his relationship with Sam and his uncle, but when he's began messing around with Ygritte I started losing interest in his chapters.

Samwell - I LOVE HIM THAT FLABBY BASTARD. But seriously, the first two POV chapters have caught my attention on him. It was already easy to feel empathetic for him and love him when we couldn't see his thoughts, but in book three he gained a perspective. I'm excited to see how his character develops throughout the book.

Sansa - I actually like her. She did make a lot of stupid decisions, but her first chapter in A Clash of Kings was what made me feel empathetic towards her. That Joffrey is a bastard.

Tyrion - Excited to see where his character goes with both his father and his sister giving tension to his chapters.​

For non-viewpoint characters (so far), I like Cersei and Tywin. It's always fun to read when they get their screentime.

Oh yeah, and P.S., I haven't watched the show.

Last edited:

Loriania

Mars Adept
Years
I just started Star Wars- Queen's Shadows by E.K. Johnston, and Star Wars- Master and Apprentice by Claudia Gray.

Last edited:

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
Years
I just started Star Wars- Queen's Shadows by E.K. Johnston, and Star Wars- Master and Apprentice by Claudia Gray.

I have quite a few Star Wars books that are catching dust... hm. I collect them more than actually read them. D: You make me want to read some of the ones I have, so I'm going to start doing so. ;w;

Star Wars: Secrets of the Jedi by Jude Watson

This is one of my older SW books I've had for years. >w<

DigitalMewtwo

Somewhere on the digital spectrum
Years
Just finished reading Operation Paperclip (about a secret intelligence program that brought Nazi scientists to America) by Annie Jacobsen.

Very creepy read... and one I've learned more about history from.

Years
The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss, and uh...well, I'm mostly trying to get through it because I'm curious as to where it's wanting to go. It's taking a while though. At least I'm past the point where I was willing to just skip ahead and spoil things because "something needs to happen soon I swear to god".

Sorvete

Novice
Years
I finished A Dance with Dragons recently, waiting for Winds 🕒

Meanwhile I'm thinking of starting the Lord of the Rings series, or Sherlock.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Online now
This year I've spend quite some time reading older public domain books. The last one was a collection of Don Quixote stories, which I found rather meh.

Just recently I started reading Crime and Punishment which has been interesting so far.

Soaring Sid

Now I'm motivated
Years
I was reading 1984, by George Orwell,. At the moment, it is The Silmarillion, a mythopoeia by J.R.R Tolkien. After this, I'm thinking of going with Crooked Kingdom, by Leigh Bardugo. Also, Aquacorde suggested to me to read Good Omens, by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman so I'll be going for that as well.

Last edited:
Back