• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

If all of Ash's rivals...?

The Void

hiiiii
Years
If all of Ash's main rivals (Gary, Morrison, Paul, Barry, Bianca, and Trip) all battled together in the same tournament, who do you think would stand out as champion?

jzcnlt.jpg

I'm definitely going for Paul. He may have a bit of difficulty with Gary but he has way more advanced and stronger Pokemon. The second place winner would be Gary and the third place would be Trip. Yup, yup.

Last edited:
Years
I'd say Paul cos he uses strong Pokemon like Honchkrow, Ursaring and Electivire.

He is also my fave of Ash's rivals with Trip and Barry coming a close second.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
Years
If you were going to include League Rivals like Morrison then at the very least include Richie, Harrison, and Tyson. Also if Gary had ample time to train up and get back into the motivation to battle I could see him as good as any Rival including Paul. I'd think his vast knowledge he would obtain while working as a professor would farther help him in how certain pokemon are and the capabilities they possess. For instance when Ash attacked Trip Frillish and it had Curse Body it wouldn't surprise me if Gary did research on various pokemon prior so he would know what too look out for. I know he didn't far all that well against Saturn Toxicroak... Paul has as much experience as any of these Rivals since he has been traveling region to region as long as Ash has. As I mention and Hikari mentioned Paul has a good deal of powerhouses. And if they met again in battle I am sure we would see yet another one. As of now I'd go with Paul with Gary slightly behind. As far as League rivals Harrison>Tyson>Morrison>Richie. Barry and Bianca both seem like sub rivals if you ask me. I haven't even seen much of a battle between her and Ash, if anything they are mostly sparring battles. Heck she even got swept by Elesa. Trip is too soon to call, from what I have seen I am not blow away by his battles.

I'd say Paul cos he uses strong Pokemon like Honchkrow, Ursaring and Electivire.

He is also my fave of Ash's rivals with Trip and Barry coming a close second.
What no love for his starter Torterra? Or his beastly Drapion(who dominated in the league match).

Years
Well Kenshin, Trip's Servine proved to be strong - it did defeat Ash's Pikachu when it was still a Snivy. His Gurdurr put up a good fight against Cilan's Dwebble in the Club Battle Tournament and Vanillite tied against Ash's Tepig in a 3-on-3 battle. Tranquill defeated both Ash's Oshawott and Tepig with Aerial Ace while Frillish managed to defeat Ash's Snivy by taking advantage of Cursed Body. Trip also has a Lampent but it hasn't been seen since the episode where Ash's Pidove evolved into Tranquill.

Paul has really strong Pokemon as I said earlier - Honchkrow, Torterra, Drapion, Electivire, Ursaring, Magmortar, Gastrodon, Ninjask, Weavile, Aggron and Froslass among them. Paul has actually used Pokemon of every type except Dragon and Psychic.

Barry's Empoleon is tough with its Hydro Cannon. And don't forget Barry's Roserade (only appeared once) where it defeated Ash's Chimchar despite having a type disadvantage. Barry also has a Staraptor and Heracross (Barry's Staraptor hasn't been seen since its debut) along with a Skarmory and Hitmonlee he used at the Sinnoh League. Barry's team is very similar to his in-game team (assuming the player starts with Chimchar), having Empoleon, Staraptor, Roserade and Heracross, although his in-game team also has Floatzel and Snorlax.

Trip's anime team has some similarity with Cheren in the games (Cheren only has a Servine if the player starts with Oshawott). In-game Cheren has a starter (Serperior/Emboar/Samurott) strong against the player, an elemental monkey (Simisage/Simisear/Simipour) of the same type as the player's starter, as well as Unfezant, Liepard, Gigalith and Haxorus. (Trip and Cheren also share a Tranquill)

Bianca doesn't really look tough but her Pignite hits hard with Heat Crash. Also, her masculine Minccino knows Hyper Voice and it's said that her Shelmet will evolve soon. Also in the games, Bianca only has a Pignite if the player starts with Oshawott. In-game Bianca has her starter (Serperior/Emboar/Samurott) weak to the player's choice, an elemental monkey (Simisage/Simisear/Simipour) strong against the player's starter, as well as a Musharna, Stoutland, Mienshao and Chandelure.

Stephan's Sawk put up a good fight against Iris' Emolga, using Close Combat to block Attract. Even his Zebstrika defeated Bianca's Minccino easily in the Club Battle.

Yeah, I've noticed some similarities there.

Last edited:

Kenshin5

Wanderer
Years
Well Kenshin, Trip's Servine proved to be strong - it did defeat Ash's Pikachu when it was still a Snivy. His Gurdurr put up a good fight against Cilan's Dwebble in the Club Battle Tournament and Vanillite tied against Ash's Tepig in a 3-on-3 battle. Tranquill defeated both Ash's Oshawott and Tepig with Aerial Ace while Frillish managed to defeat Ash's Snivy by taking advantage of Cursed Body. Trip also has a Lampent but it hasn't been seen since the episode where Ash's Pidove evolved into Tranquill
It has proved strong? It lost to Snivy. Ash has also won against type advantages in the past so the tie with Tepig and Vanillite really doesn't mean a whole lot to me. The only time I thought Trip was impressive was Battle Club the following battle with Ash was alright(according to him he was experimenting). And his Servine beat Pikachu as Snivy, again I don't see this as a big of a deal as a lot of people make it out to be. Pikachu lost to Gary Eevee after beating Dragonite, Pikachu tied against Elekid after beating Regice, so Pikachu losing to Snivy after beating Latios is just another one of the poor performances of the trend at the beginning. Pikachu was recently zapped by Zekrom anyways, so good look preforming against something if you got zapped by a legendary regardless of who you are. All this being said I'd like to reserve overall judgement compared to prior characters until we have the full Unova Series shown.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
You forgot about Stephan. :-P

Anyway, I think Paul could win among Ash's rivalss because he has strong Pokemon with him.

The Void

hiiiii
Years
If you were going to include League Rivals like Morrison then at the very least include Richie, Harrison, and Tyson.
Morrison is Ash's main rival in Hoenn, not just any league rival. Gary, on the other hand, is Ash's rival in Kanto and Johto.

Years
How could you forget Richie :O

Well It'd be tough between Paul and Gary, but i'd have to say Paul because he does intense training with his Pokemon while Gray went the researcher path.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
Years
Morrison is Ash's main rival in Hoenn, not just any league rival. Gary, on the other hand, is Ash's rival in Kanto and Johto.
Ehhh not much of a rival if all you do is appear in one episode prior to the league... Which Stephan as already mentioned as being left out has already had multiple appearances even halfway through the Saga. Yeah and Gary as Ash rival through Kanto and Johto is pretty common knowledge... Also left out are other minor rivals like Nando and Conway who were rival like before the league and fought Ash in First and Third round respectively. So saying main rival is a bit of a stretch for Morrison.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 13, 2016
If you were going to include League Rivals like Morrison then at the very least include Richie, Harrison, and Tyson.
While you're at it add Tobias in there too... oh wait. xD;

In all seriousness though, it is arguable that you could put him in Ash's rivals category, but at the same time they didn't interact much other than that semi final. But if you tossed Tobias in this tournament too, he'd probably murder everyone.

I don't think Bianca is strong enough just yet to put her into this tournament, that goes for Trip too. I don't see why Gary wouldn't enter, just because he isn't pursuing his old goal, whatever that actually was, doesn't mean he can't battle in his spare time.

But yeah, it's been mentioned. Gary would probably have to knowledge and skill to win, whereas Paul has those powerhouses.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
Years

While you're at it add Tobias in there too... oh wait. xD;

In all seriousness though, it is arguable that you could put him in Ash's rivals category, but at the same time they didn't interact much other than that semi final. But if you tossed Tobias in this tournament too, he'd probably murder everyone.

I don't think Bianca is strong enough just yet to put her into this tournament, that goes for Trip too. I don't see why Gary wouldn't enter, just because he isn't pursuing his old goal, whatever that actually was, doesn't mean he can't battle in his spare time.

But yeah, it's been mentioned. Gary would probably have to knowledge and skill to win, whereas Paul has those powerhouses.
Lulz if we included Trollbias he would probably kill everyone with legends.

I'd include Bianca, but I could tell you she would lose in the first round. And too me she is more of a rival of the group then a primary Ash rival. She battled Ash, was in the Fishing Competition against Cilan, then tried to catch Emolga when Iris was as well. Here team really isn't that dynamic either her Shelmet looks like it will be Accelgor that maybe or may not stay with Juniper and she will be getting Escavalier(maybe temporarily maybe for keeps maybe even both of them). Regardless her team is going to improve, but still I don't ever see her being as the upper Tier such as Gary, Paul, Trip.

Gary got some powerful pokemon himself. His starter Blastoise, Umbreon, Scizor, Electivire. I think with the battles with Team Galatic and J he was a bit rusty since he dedicated most of his time I would think to lab research and studying various aspects of pokemon. That all probably took away from honing his skills as a trainer, it's like not doing something for awhile then going back into it after a prolonged period of time. I think if he had plenty of time for such a tour he would be just as big of a threat as Paul.

As for Trip yes he has shown some good skills in battle, but it seems way too soon for a ruling. I'd like to see another battle out of him. And the lost versus Cilan Dwebble doesn't detract much from him imo since it was one on one which is a sudden death kind of match.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
Years
  • Age 27
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 10, 2023
Honestly, I'd rule out Gary because he'd be so out of practice. I don't think he trains his Pokemon so much anymore, but his strategy would surely grow there's no question in that. Gary probably caught a lot more Pokemon too. I don't remember the episode, but I remember that the Oak Ranch was filled with Pokemon Professor Oak said belonged to Gary. I thought there was about 200 or so, though there were some duplicate species there. If Gary had like months to prepare himself, like Rocky or someone, then I'd say he'd be the top contender.

I'm going with Paul here. I'm pretty sure he doesn't abuse his Pokemon anymore, following the loss to Ash, so I'd think his Pokemon would grow stronger in a way. They wouldn't be physically and mentally abused so that's a plus. He's also traveled around a lot so he'd have just as much, if not more, experience as Gary.

Markichuuuuu

YouTube LP'er :3
Years
It'd be between Paul and Gary. Paul has the advantage because he's still training, but Gary has to have sooo much knowledge of Pokémon at this point. If he had time to train I think he'd probably defeat Paul.

Mentalii

Back
Years
Gary all the way. I can't forget the former Gary, the REAL Gary, who was really tough, a fantastic trainer, and even if I know that he's not really a trainer anymore, I choose him. And I hope he would win !

Years
Assuming this is a universe where Gary continued as a trainer, Gary would definitely win. He is not only well disciplined as a trainer, but he also loves and cares so much for his Pokemon. Plus, he has a Nidoking which is definitely one of my favorite Pokemon of all time, so ya, I'm a lil bias.

The Void

hiiiii
Years
Assuming this is a universe where Gary continued as a trainer, Gary would definitely win. He is not only well disciplined as a trainer, but he also loves and cares so much for his Pokemon. Plus, he has a Nidoking which is definitely one of my favorite Pokemon of all time, so ya, I'm a lil bias.

Well he didn't and we're talking about the canon Pokemon universe here. The universe where Gary discontinued his path as a Pokemon Trainer and took the road to professorship.

Zapperz

colour swapper!
Years
  • Seen Oct 18, 2023
Id probably go with Paul/Gary cause they have strong pokes, like that giant krabby Gary has, haha!

Brittani

Pokefan for life!! (:
Years
Definitely Gary. Sometimes strong pokemon are not enough to win a battle. With Gary I'd think,with all his experience, he'd be able to develop a better strategy than Paul ever could. Maybe even better than any of Ash's other rivals. I'm not exactly sure but my money's on him.

Back