• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen A little help with the Pokémon League Please?

Years
Hi guys! I seem to have a problem with winning the Pokémon League on Platinum. Last time I tried fighting I had used the following Pokémon:

Level 56 Tentacruel holding mystic water with 171 hp attack of 105, defense 96, Sp. Atk 105 Sp. Def 177, Speed 116. Ability - Liquid Ooze. Movesets - Wring Out, Waterfall, Surf and Hydro Pump.

Level 50 Giratina holding Amulet Coin with 221 hp attack of 122, Defense 139 Sp. Atk 110 Sp. Def 123 Speed 99 with ability pressure movesets - Ominous Wind Heal Block, Dragon Claw and Shadow Force

Level 41 Onix holding Metal Coat with 91 hp attack of 50, Defense 126 Sp. Atk 37 Sp. Def 45 Speed 73 with ability sturdy movesets - Rock Polish, Curse, DragonBreath and Iron Tail

Level 39 Machoke holding Fist Plate with 114 hp attack of 88, Defense 63 Sp. Atk 45 Sp. Def 63 Speed 50 with ability No guard movesets - Revenge, Vital Throw, Submission and Wake-up Slap

Level 69 Infernape holding Shell Bell with 207 hp attack of 185, Defense 127 Sp. Atk 189 Sp. Def 116 Speed 164 with ability blaze movesets - Cut, Flare Blitz, Close Combat and Rock Smash.

Due to lack of money, I only had 5 full restores and 2 revives. I lost on the 2nd elite 4. Can someone recommend me what techniques I should use, the items I need, the Pokémon to use or the items to hold or how much money I need, or what items my Pokémon should hold?? Any form of help will be appreciated!

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
I think it's possible to grind money in Platinum, right?

If possible you want to evolve Onix and Machoke, but if you can't you may want to find better replacements--stuff that holds type advantages against the types of the Elite 4. Or at least get a 6th 'mon, unless that slots taken up by an HM slave.

Give Giratina its Griseous Orb, as this'll give a slight boost to its STABs, while also turning it into its Origin Form, which has better attacking stats while still retaining respectable bulk and gaining a more useful ability in Leviate.

Tentacruel doesn't need 3 Water attacks (this a common problem amongst people's teams, Pokemon overloaded with attacks of a single type), you could use to get rid of one of those for something that might be useful like Ice Beam or Toxic or something. Infernape can also do without Rock Smash and Cut--you're at the end of the game and don't need these much anymore, and they're pretty bad attacks.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
Thanks! But, how can I get a Griseous orb? I haven't obtained one. I got Palkia and Diagla's Orb though.
It's either at the end of Turnback Cave, or at the end of Turnback Cave is a portal to the Distortion World that takes you to a special part of it where the orb is. I can't remember which it is.

ChaddyCFC

Veteran PokéNerd
Years
Evolve that Machoke and hope it has No Guard. This with a combination of Dynamicpunch to confuse with 100% accuracy and fill out the other moves with elemental punches and you'll be golden.

Years
Ok, after a bit of consideration, I have managed to make progress on upgrading the Pok?mon's strength and changing their moves. This what I have changed:

Changed members:
Level 56 Tentacruel holding mystic water with 171 hp attack of 105, defense 96, Sp. Atk 105 Sp. Def 178, Speed 116. Ability - Liquid Ooze. Movesets - Wring Out, Toxic, Surf and Ice beam. Tentacruel now has better moves and it's Sp. Def has increased by +1!

Level 70 Infernape holding Shell bell with 210 hp attack of 187, defense 128, Sp. Atk 191 Sp. Def 118, Speed 167. Ability - Blaze. Movesets - Flare Blitz, Close Combat, Flamethrower and Substitute. Infernape has leveled up by +1. If you think I need to tweak these two a bit more, just tell me.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
Years
You might want to consider moves or pokemon that can counter Milotic (which i have found quite bulky) because you dont seem to have pokemon that can hit it with solid damage. Both Onix and Infernal are especially susceptible to its attacks. Has that Tentecruel worked out for you? I think toxic is a good move to chip away at Milotic's health.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Apr 6, 2018
Eh I would help but I'm the noob who leveled his Lucario to level 100 and bought a hell of a lot of max revives and max potions and PP restoring items. Then I spammed Dargon Pulse of destruction. But you probably should replace the Onix and get a sixth mon (I would suggest getting a grass type cause you SERIOUSLY need one). Also a good way to farm money in Platinum is to give one of your Pokemon an Amulet coin and spam the battles with the maids in that mansion near Hearthome City.

Back