• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Do you play with 3D turned on or off?

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 30, 2024
I had it on for certain scenes but now it's always off. It's better to save the battery and not have the slight lag, I think. The 3D effects were pretty solid, though, so that was a plus for whenever I had it on.

Years
To people who say your eyes hurt, try checking the calibration settings or something. Unless you have very sensitive eyes, you're probably doing it wrong.

I play with 3D on all the time. I have 8 - 10 hours grinding sessions every now and then, and it doesn't affect me in any way. I personally don't see why anyone would turn off such an awesome feature.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
To people who say your eyes hurt, try checking the calibration settings or something. Unless you have very sensitive eyes, you're probably doing it wrong.

Not really. Its well known that our eyes cannot handle the 3D effect due to how the eyes having to process the images we are receiving at a very fast and changing pace in a scale that is larger than we were born to be able to perceive. There are warnings on 3D TVs, systems, games, and movies that say people are supposed to take breaks from interacting and over exposure could cause irreversible consequences.

I cannot see 3D effects, but I still suffer from the draw backs because, even though I cannot see them, my eyes still try to process the images the way they are meant to be processed and it puts a lot of strain on my eyes.

If you can do the 3D effect, having your slider up at all times, and not suffer from anything that means your eyes are just more accustomed to something it shouldn't be accustomed to at all. Means in this one instance your eyes are better than most people's.

Years
Not really. Its well known that our eyes cannot handle the 3D effect due to how the eyes having to process the images we are receiving at a very fast and changing pace in a scale that is larger than we were born to be able to perceive. There are warnings on 3D TVs, systems, games, and movies that say people are supposed to take breaks from interacting and over exposure could cause irreversible consequences.

I cannot see 3D effects, but I still suffer from the draw backs because, even though I cannot see them, my eyes still try to process the images the way they are meant to be processed and it puts a lot of strain on my eyes.

If you can do the 3D effect, having your slider up at all times, and not suffer from anything that means your eyes are just more accustomed to something it shouldn't be accustomed to at all. Means in this one instance your eyes are better than most people's.

Yes, however, where I live it is also well known that looking at a computer screen for too long would give you square eyes, so I tend to take those kind of statements with a grain of salt.
Granted I see some people do get irritated from the 3D function, but relating to myself I can't figure out why.
That said, the moment I move my 3DS out of it's "perfect position", my eyes get teary because the 3D effect becomes irritating - I can clearly see an overlay of the same two pictures. This is where my previous statement came from.

Vanish

Poof
Years
  • Age 35
  • US
  • Seen Aug 25, 2016
Yes, however, where I live it is also well known that looking at a computer screen for too long would give you square eyes, so I tend to take those kind of statements with a grain of salt.
Granted I see some people do get irritated from the 3D function, but relating to myself I can't figure out why.
That said, the moment I move my 3DS out of it's "perfect position", my eyes get teary because the 3D effect becomes irritating - I can clearly see an overlay of the same two pictures. This is where my previous statement came from.

Therein lies the issue (at least for me). Do you have a regular 3DS or an XL? I hear it's a bit trickier to stay within the "3D zone" on the XL, which is why I never have it enabled for long periods. It's not the actual 3D effect that seems to give me a headache, it's the fact that my eyes are constantly going in and out of "focus."

Years
Therein lies the issue (at least for me). Do you have a regular 3DS or an XL? I hear it's a bit trickier to stay within the "3D zone" on the XL, which is why I never have it enabled for long periods. It's not the 3D that eventually gives me a headache, it's the fact that my eyes are constantly going in and out of "focus."

I play on a regular 3DS, and aside from that, I usually play in bed or on the sofa, primarily when lying down, so I don't move around much. This is how I can keep my screen in focus towards my eyes.

Years
I tried having the 3D on for one battle, then turned it off for the rest of the game. I have to be sitting in a very specific position for the 3D to even look the way it's supposed to, but even then I can't look at it for very long without it giving me a headache, so I don't bother.

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
Years
Hey, koffi~

Those who own the 2DS unite! Stand proud that you weather a storm against the waves of tyranny and those that would seek to put you down! Down with 3D and down with 3D gaming! 3D gaming is not as cool as it sounded, koff~

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
I try to keep my 3D on most of the time, after a while it does hurt my eyes so I have to turn it off for a while - or I can give the 3DS XL a break - but my Pokemon X addiction keeps making me come back for more (so I just turn off 3D slider off for a while).

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
The 3D effect of Nintendo 3DS is certainly unique, as it doesn't require you use any glasses. But I never play games with 3D, though, because if I stare at the screen for too long by having it enabled, I always get strain on my eyes. This causes a lot of other people to have eye strains, too, not just me. d: Eye strains may not give you any permanent damage, but still… it's good to avoid them. While playing Pokémon Y, I've had 3D enabled only on three occasions—the character selection screen, my first trainer battle, and when encountering Yveltal. I might've turned on the 3D two - three more times, but those don't necessarily count, since they were for testing purposes only. xD

If I knew that they were going to release the 2DS, then I would've bought that instead and be able to save some money. Some people may find this console to be a little bad-looking, but since I don't use the 3D very often, it would have been the best option for me. One thing that they could've done, though, is make the 2DS flat and have a single screen, sort of like a tablet... but oh well, maybe next time!

ramibas299

GOTTA CATCH EM' ALL!!
Years
Off. Even if it doesn't hurt your eyes, it is definitely not good for your eyes.
Sure it's a nice feature, but I rather not ruin my eyesight.

icklebug

Champagne Supernova
Years
I let a friend of mine borrow my 3ds and now my 3d doesn't turn off so.. I don't really have a choice. I used to always have it off but it doesn't really bother my eyes so much now that I have it on all the time.

James

Make it double!
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Dec 31, 2017
I keep mine off. but i do slide it on from time to time during a mega evolution cause it looks really cool. :)

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
Since it's really only battles and other little scenes that are 3D I keep it off to save battery. When I do turn it on it's normally during a cut scene like during the plot when it is in 3D and so forth. Helps since I can never seem to get the angle of the 3DS right so yeah. Little bits at a time hahah.

Back