• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What are the Water Starters based on?

Years
  • Seen Sep 1, 2023
So, if the fire starters are based on the Chinese Zodiac and the grass starters have a theme of evolution going for them (or so I've read), then what is the water starters' theme? Is there any?

CloysterOyster

Master of Ice
Years
Most of them seem to be reptilian or amphibious in nature, with the exception of Piplup which is based on a penguin I believe. Not sure what pattern the starter Water-types follow other than that.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
At least for me, water type starter just seem random aquatic creatures.

Most of them seem to be reptilian or amphibious in nature, with the exception of Piplup which is based on a penguin I believe. Not sure what pattern the starter Water-types follow other than that.

Oshawott is based on an aquatic mammal, an otter.
(thats the main reason its my favorite starter)

lifeburst

ROAR OF TIME
Years
Squirtle is based on a turtle. Totodile is based on a mini shark. Mudkip is based upon something. Piplup is a penguin, Oshawott is based on a otter, and Froakie is based upon a frog. All of them are pretty much based upon aquatic animals. Dunno 'bout Mudkipz.

Years
Mudkip is based on a mudskipper, at least in part. And I'm pretty sure Totodile is just a small crocodile.

But the pattern seems to be animals that can live and move on both land and water. Turtles, crocodiles, mudskippers, penguins, otters, frogs. I don't think there's any pattern beyond that. They just wanted to give you an animal that made sense for a Water-type, but that wouldn't be out of place on land (like a fish would).

coolcatkim22

Team Rocket's Rockin'
Years
Fox isn't part of the Chinese zodiac and neither is a porcupine so that sort of debunks that theory.
I also don't get the grass type theory. What do you mean by evolution?

Years
The Water-type starters are based on aquatic creatures that can walk on land, like a tortoise/turtle (Squirtle), crocodile (Totodile), mudskipper (Mudkip), penguin (Piplup), sea otter (Oshawott) and frog (Froakie).

It's pretty simple once you know it.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Fox isn't part of the Chinese zodiac and neither is a porcupine so that sort of debunks that theory.
I also don't get the grass type theory. What do you mean by evolution?

Cyndaquil isn't a Porcupine. Its based off of an Enchidna or Shrew. Its also Classified as the Fire Mouse Pokemon, making it the Chinese Zodiac representation of the Mouse.

While, yes Fennekin does break the chain as a Fox is not part of the Zodiac, though many support it representing the Dog as Vulpines are related to Canines. And with that theory...I dread it evolving into a Dog now.

I don't know what they meant by Evolution, but Grass Types used to be all reptilian based. Bulbasaur and Chikorita based off some kinda Dinosaur, Treecko a gecko, Turtwig was a turtle, Snivy was a snake. Chespin who is a Mammal breaks this cycle.

Water is the only thing with a close relationship as all Water Starters are Semi-Aquatic creatures.

Years
Cyndaquil isn't a Porcupine. Its based off of an Enchidna or Shrew. Its also Classified as the Fire Mouse Pokemon, making it the Chinese Zodiac representation of the Mouse.

While, yes Fennekin does break the chain as a Fox is not part of the Zodiac, though many support it representing the Dog as Vulpines are related to Canines. And with that theory...I dread it evolving into a Dog now.

I don't know what they meant by Evolution, but Grass Types used to be all reptilian based. Bulbasaur and Chikorita based off some kinda Dinosaur, Treecko a gecko, Turtwig was a turtle, Snivy was a snake. Chespin who is a Mammal breaks this cycle.

Water is the only thing with a close relationship as all Water Starters are Semi-Aquatic creatures.

Xander has a point, with this generation they sorta "broke" the Grass and Fire Starter trends, but the trend of what Water Starters are based on remains.

Chespin is the first Grass Starter not based on a reptile, Fennekin is the first Fire Starter not based on a Chinese Zodiac animal (but also like what Xander said, foxes do have relation to dogs so it could represent the Dog) but the trend with Water Starters hasn't been broken.

At first I didn't know what Mudkip was based on, but now I know it is part of the Water Starter trend for being based on semi-aquatic creatures.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
As others said, the Water starters aren't based on a particular theme; they're based on aquatic creatures in general, as the others above me said:
-Squirtle is based on a turtle
-Totodile is based on a crocodilian
-Mudkip is based on the mudpuppy/mudskipper and axolotl
-Piplup is based on a penguin
-Oshawott is based on a sea otter

27thColt

The Collector
Years
  • Seen Sep 3, 2023
Squitle - turtle
Totodile -Aligator/Crocodile
Mudkip - mudpuppy (search on Wikipedia!)
Piplup - Penguin
Oshawott -otter
Froakie - frog

Back