• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Harvest Moon Tool Kit (HMTK)

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Mar 31, 2014
Sweet! I was starting to wonder if this project was still active, and you answered my question. ^o^ I want to play with this after I get more experience with Pokemon Essentials, so I'm looking forward to playing with this eventually. Thank you for all your hard work on this.

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 20, 2017
Minor update, so you guys know I'm still working on this.

A fully functional greenhouse has been finished, and best of all it spawns dynamically (i.e. it does not exist in the map data, not even the door event, until it is unlocked). This will likely become the groundwork for eventual building upgrades (such as for your house, barn, coop, etc). Direct tile and event manipulation on maps using code rather than the point and click functionality of RMXP is mostly sorted out, but I have plans to eventually make it a little more flexible and seamless so everyone can use it without too much trouble.

I've also worked out a couple of minor bugs (though I'm certain there are more), and am planning to finally bring back the ability to ride a horse. It was partially finished in an earlier version, but was too buggy and was subsequently removed. Swimming may also be in the pipeline. I'm planning for a minor release (v2.3), so the major remaining features like marriage, children, basic festivals, building upgrades, etc, likely won't be finished until the next major release (v3.0).

As always, if you'd like to contribute anything, feel free to do so. Even simple things like finding (or better yet, fixing!) bugs would be great. There's also a sore lack of music to provide atmosphere, and character dialog is incredibly limited and basic. If you'd like to help with dialog for the various characters, let me know and I'll get you pointed in the right direction. Also, if anyone has mapping skills and wants to make the test maps look better, that would be awesome.

Varion Bluefire

A.K.A The Glitch
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 3, 2015
Minor update, so you guys know I'm still working on this.

A fully functional greenhouse has been finished, and best of all it spawns dynamically (i.e. it does not exist in the map data, not even the door event, until it is unlocked). This will likely become the groundwork for eventual building upgrades (such as for your house, barn, coop, etc). Direct tile and event manipulation on maps using code rather than the point and click functionality of RMXP is mostly sorted out, but I have plans to eventually make it a little more flexible and seamless so everyone can use it without too much trouble.

I've also worked out a couple of minor bugs (though I'm certain there are more), and am planning to finally bring back the ability to ride a horse. It was partially finished in an earlier version, but was too buggy and was subsequently removed. Swimming may also be in the pipeline. I'm planning for a minor release (v2.3), so the major remaining features like marriage, children, basic festivals, building upgrades, etc, likely won't be finished until the next major release (v3.0).

As always, if you'd like to contribute anything, feel free to do so. Even simple things like finding (or better yet, fixing!) bugs would be great. There's also a sore lack of music to provide atmosphere, and character dialog is incredibly limited and basic. If you'd like to help with dialog for the various characters, let me know and I'll get you pointed in the right direction. Also, if anyone has mapping skills and wants to make the test maps look better, that would be awesome.

I can try help supply Harvest Moon Music from various harvest moon games, if you need it?

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 20, 2017
I can try help supply Harvest Moon Music from various harvest moon games, if you need it?
That would be great actually. I don't remember 100% for sure how each harvest moon does music, but I do remember HM:64 off the top of my head. I've already got the title screen music (from HM:64), which leaves:

• Farm and minor area BGM (1 for each season. I may need to code seasonal music)
  • Town BGM
  • Mountain BGM
  • Ocean BGS (Not music, just the sound of waves)
  • Goddess Spring BGM (there's no dedicated map for it right now though)
  • Some festival BGM
I would almost say HM:64 music is preferable, being so iconic, but as long as it's a consistent set from one particular game or another, I am fine with music from any of the games. It could be SNES music, HM:64, HM:FOMT, etc. If it's not from HM:64, I'll also need title screen music. Any or all of the above are fine, so if you can only find a couple, it's not a problem. I will add whatever I get. If it comes from somewhere online, please include any applicable credits from the source so I can credit them as well as you for the music.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jan 16, 2015
Hello May i ask something?. i get an error when using hoe on the same tile twice.

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 20, 2017
Hello May i ask something?. i get an error when using hoe on the same tile twice.
Thanks for the tip! I've addressed the issue, and the fix will be in the next release. For clarity, if you use the hoe on a tile that's already been tilled, it will crash as you experienced. Using the hoe repeatedly anywhere else should be fine.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jan 16, 2015
Thanks for the tip! I've addressed the issue, and the fix will be in the next release. For clarity, if you use the hoe on a tile that's already been tilled, it will crash as you experienced. Using the hoe repeatedly anywhere else should be fine.

Oh yeah also i think there's an error when we give villager an item...

Im new here pleased to meet all of you

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jan 16, 2015
If we remove 2 from if tile2==TILES["Seeds"] on line 172 script tool i think the problem for using hoe on same place twice will be fixed

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 20, 2017
If we remove 2 from if tile2==TILES["Seeds"] on line 172 script tool i think the problem for using hoe on same place twice will be fixed
I'll check out the issue with giving a villager an item. I did a lot of reworking of core functionality, so it's likely an artifact left over from the old code.

Also, yes, removing that line would fix the error in that spot, however I think it may cause some undesirable behavior. tile2 refers to the tile on the second layer in this case, which is where seeds should go, so you may lose the ability to dig up seeds with the hoe. Alternatively, you can grab the line of code that assigns tile2 below the block the error occurred in and move it up just below the other tile= assignment. This would make it available in the whole method, instead of it being defined within the second block. That's basically all I did to fix it.

And before I forget, welcome to PC!

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jan 16, 2015
I'll check out the issue with giving a villager an item. I did a lot of reworking of core functionality, so it's likely an artifact left over from the old code.

Also, yes, removing that line would fix the error in that spot, however I think it may cause some undesirable behavior. tile2 refers to the tile on the second layer in this case, which is where seeds should go, so you may lose the ability to dig up seeds with the hoe. Alternatively, you can grab the line of code that assigns tile2 below the block the error occurred in and move it up just below the other tile= assignment. This would make it available in the whole method, instead of it being defined within the second block. That's basically all I did to fix it.

And before I forget, welcome to PC!

I see. okay i'll try it. Oh by the way where i can get the graphic for this game?. I don't have mayor's face.

This is an interesting project could i join?. Maybe i can be the tester if you don't mind ^_^

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 20, 2017
I see. okay i'll try it. Oh by the way where i can get the graphic for this game?. I don't have mayor's face.

This is an interesting project could i join?. Maybe i can be the tester if you don't mind ^_^
For graphics, there's a few routes you can take. You can try The Spriter's Resource, which has graphic rips for tons of games, ripping your own with an emulator (legality is questionable at best), or requesting them in the resources section of this forum. I'm not sure how much luck you'll have requesting them here though, as resources tend to primarily be Pokemon oriented.

As far as joining goes, there's no official team. It's a completely open project, so whoever wants it can download and modify as they like. If you come up with new scripts, bug fixes, maps, or have resources to contribute, etc, they will be credited appropriately in the first post if I add them to the project. As far as testing goes, anyone is free to do so. If contributions are meaningful in quality and quantity, say a significant amount of bug finding from testing, resources, script development, map making, etc, I may designate individuals as team members for their contributions, rather than just contributors.

One thing that may be helpful at this point is for users (including yourself if you like) to attempt making something of a game of what's currently developed. You should quickly find missing features, limitations, or bugs in doing so (and I also plan to do so eventually). Things like attempting to add new characters, creating additional working farm and mine maps, new animals, new crops, etc, should help reveal any unnecessary complexity or bugs. Any and all contributions are welcome, so feel free to contribute whatever you like as motivation dictates.

Also, a wiki would likely prove to be an immense help eventually. It would be a great place to include the basics of how things work, how to add new stuff (i.e. crops, animals, etc), what the controls are, what's been implemented, bug tracking, etc. I may do so if motivation allows it, or if someone else would like to, they would have a golden spot on the contributor/team member list.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jan 16, 2015
Well if that the case, i have some favor to ask. Could you change notification when we get power berry into conversation text like when we talked to villager instead of notification from program.Its kinda weird for me but since i don't really understand the script

Oh yeah recently i download two project of yours but when i open the new one there's an error when i talked to Mayor...I don't know why the first run smoothly

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 20, 2017
Well if that the case, i have some favor to ask. Could you change notification when we get power berry into conversation text like when we talked to villager instead of notification from program.Its kinda weird for me but since i don't really understand the script

Oh yeah recently i download two project of yours but when i open the new one there's an error when i talked to Mayor...I don't know why the first run smoothly
I tracked down the problem with the mayor. If you check the Villagers data module (in the script editor, find ---Data Modules--- and open the Villagers section), you'll see that the Messages module only has data for two villagers, numbered 0 and 1. In the Names module at the very top, you can see that 0 is Ann and 1 is Ellen, but the mayor is number 5 (which doesn't exist in the Messages module). I haven't got around to loading much for conversations. Only the mechanics behind them. It seems I removed the error catching bit when redoing some of the message system this last time, but I put it back now so that any character should at least say that their message data is missing instead of crashing. It can be fixed by adding another item to the Messages module numbered 5, and filling in text just like 0 and 1 have for Ann and Ellen. It's tricky business if you aren't familiar with code though, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Though if you'd like to contribute conversation text, that would be awesome. It's separated out by season and affection lvl at the moment, and eventually there should be weather conversation as well. If you have any or want to write some, I'd be more than happy to add it.

Eventually, I think it would be best to move out the text data into txt files. Perhaps each villager having their own named txt file. I'll need to write a tutorial on how to insert your own text for villagers at some point to make this easier to do. Perhaps once I start up a wiki, so I don't clutter the main thread here.

As for showing a text box for power berries instead of a debug message, it's a piece of cake. I'll have it in the next release. Basically, instead of p "Some message" you'll need to change it to Kernel.show_text("Some message"), which uses my custom message system. I went ahead and changed it but there's still more work that needs to be done for power berries, which is the reason I hadn't updated that yet. I haven't implemented the eating animation and I don't think I have the sound effect yet, so I had been putting it off until I could finish it in one go.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jan 16, 2015
I tracked down the problem with the mayor. If you check the Villagers data module (in the script editor, find ---Data Modules--- and open the Villagers section), you'll see that the Messages module only has data for two villagers, numbered 0 and 1. In the Names module at the very top, you can see that 0 is Ann and 1 is Ellen, but the mayor is number 5 (which doesn't exist in the Messages module). I haven't got around to loading much for conversations. Only the mechanics behind them. It seems I removed the error catching bit when redoing some of the message system this last time, but I put it back now so that any character should at least say that their message data is missing instead of crashing. It can be fixed by adding another item to the Messages module numbered 5, and filling in text just like 0 and 1 have for Ann and Ellen. It's tricky business if you aren't familiar with code though, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Though if you'd like to contribute conversation text, that would be awesome. It's separated out by season and affection lvl at the moment, and eventually there should be weather conversation as well. If you have any or want to write some, I'd be more than happy to add it.

Eventually, I think it would be best to move out the text data into txt files. Perhaps each villager having their own named txt file. I'll need to write a tutorial on how to insert your own text for villagers at some point to make this easier to do. Perhaps once I start up a wiki, so I don't clutter the main thread here.

As for showing a text box for power berries instead of a debug message, it's a piece of cake. I'll have it in the next release. Basically, instead of p "Some message" you'll need to change it to Kernel.show_text("Some message"), which uses my custom message system. I went ahead and changed it but there's still more work that needs to be done for power berries, which is the reason I hadn't updated that yet. I haven't implemented the eating animation and I don't think I have the sound effect yet, so I had been putting it off until I could finish it in one go.

Ok about Mayor its already fixed...but still getting error when gave the villager item..
And maybe about the text conversation i can help but after i finished my first job. i think weather conversation is very important cause many HM game's NPC affected by weather, the fastest that thing come the better it i think.

Okay i'll try to make it as fast as i can.
I'll send you after it done oh do you want to add another character? I suggest we can put extra marriageable character on HM in this game but in different village ex. Celia would be unlocked when certain event is happened

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jan 16, 2015
Kitsune Kouta-san I already PM you with my work

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 20, 2017
Ok about Mayor its already fixed...but still getting error when gave the villager item..
And maybe about the text conversation i can help but after i finished my first job. i think weather conversation is very important cause many HM game's NPC affected by weather, the fastest that thing come the better it i think.

Okay i'll try to make it as fast as i can.
I'll send you after it done oh do you want to add another character? I suggest we can put extra marriageable character on HM in this game but in different village ex. Celia would be unlocked when certain event is happened
The error when giving an item should be the same issue as the error when talking to the mayor. There's another element in the Villagers module that corresponds to the villager's preferences. When you give them an item, it will attempt to determine if they like it, dislike it, love it, hate it, etc, and display a message accordingly. However, just the same as not having text for villager number 5 (the mayor) in the Messages array is a problem, it's also a problem when it's missing in the Preferences and Reactions arrays. It will first check Preferences for villager 5 and determine how they feel about it based on the position of the item id, and then find the corresponding reaction message. I fixed it with the error catching I put back in, and moreover I will likely be re-writing that functionality a bit to make it more user-friendly.

As for characters, I haven't been too concerned about adding specific ones. The point of HMTK is to be a general starter kit that you can use, swapping in your own characters, etc, as desired to make a Harvest Moon (or Rune Factory) game with. If I spend much time on specific characters or minor features, the overall project would be delayed further. It should be noted that this will not be a game of its own, but instead a development kit for making Harvest Moon games. For that reason, there won't be much in the way of events or unlockables, etc. Items, features, characters, etc, are all made available from the beginning for debugging and learning how the features work. That said, I am planning to use the kit once finished to make a game, at which point things like specific characters, events, locations, etc, would be relevant, but for the purposes of the kit I'm trying to focus as much on underlying mechanics as possible and using filler for everything else so that it at least has some semblance to the official games.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jan 16, 2015
The error when giving an item should be the same issue as the error when talking to the mayor. There's another element in the Villagers module that corresponds to the villager's preferences. When you give them an item, it will attempt to determine if they like it, dislike it, love it, hate it, etc, and display a message accordingly. However, just the same as not having text for villager number 5 (the mayor) in the Messages array is a problem, it's also a problem when it's missing in the Preferences and Reactions arrays. It will first check Preferences for villager 5 and determine how they feel about it based on the position of the item id, and then find the corresponding reaction message. I fixed it with the error catching I put back in, and moreover I will likely be re-writing that functionality a bit to make it more user-friendly.

As for characters, I haven't been too concerned about adding specific ones. The point of HMTK is to be a general starter kit that you can use, swapping in your own characters, etc, as desired to make a Harvest Moon (or Rune Factory) game with. If I spend much time on specific characters or minor features, the overall project would be delayed further. It should be noted that this will not be a game of its own, but instead a development kit for making Harvest Moon games. For that reason, there won't be much in the way of events or unlockables, etc. Items, features, characters, etc, are all made available from the beginning for debugging and learning how the features work. That said, I am planning to use the kit once finished to make a game, at which point things like specific characters, events, locations, etc, would be relevant, but for the purposes of the kit I'm trying to focus as much on underlying mechanics as possible and using filler for everything else so that it at least has some semblance to the official games.

Well thanks i have tried it and fixed that. Is there someway to make a conversation instead of Hated item or liked item on conversation box?

Hmm yeah i know i mean not specific character I mean if there's feature that allow you to add character with additonal requerement that would be great i think..

Ah i also forgot. Is there any blacksmith on this game?

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 20, 2017
Well thanks i have tried it and fixed that. Is there someway to make a conversation instead of Hated item or liked item on conversation box?

Hmm yeah i know i mean not specific character I mean if there's feature that allow you to add character with additonal requerement that would be great i think..

Ah i also forgot. Is there any blacksmith on this game?
There is no blacksmith yet, but one will be added when ore-based tool levels are implemented properly. I generally only add new characters as necessary to support underlying functionality, so there's currently a few missing.

As for adding new characters with requirements, that will most likely have to be handled with standard RMXP event functionality such as switches and variables. Villagers are relatively simple, as they have only a single method call to handle all of their functionality (Villager.interact). As for moving, appearing certain times/places, that will be up to the developer of the individual game to take care of, just like in any other RMXP-based project. Villagers are merely events, and as such their motions, appearance, location, etc, can be handled with standard event functionality.

Highly specific conditions, such as character x appearing after event y is far too narrow to be possible in a standard kit. The event is whatever you make it, and will vary greatly from game to game, so simply setting a switch when the event occurs would allow you to control the villager event's appearance with out of the box functionality. You may want to check into some RMXP eventing tutorials for a deeper understanding of how much you can do with it, as this is very definitely the type of thing it exists for.

As for displaying conversation text when giving an item to a villager, it is controlled in the Reactions array in the Villagers module. The Preferences array I mentioned before only determines whether they like it, and the Reactions array determines what they say based on that result. You should find the exact text you are seeing in that array (for each villager number), and should be able to change it to whatever you like.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jan 16, 2015
There is no blacksmith yet, but one will be added when ore-based tool levels are implemented properly. I generally only add new characters as necessary to support underlying functionality, so there's currently a few missing.

As for adding new characters with requirements, that will most likely have to be handled with standard RMXP event functionality such as switches and variables. Villagers are relatively simple, as they have only a single method call to handle all of their functionality (Villager.interact). As for moving, appearing certain times/places, that will be up to the developer of the individual game to take care of, just like in any other RMXP-based project. Villagers are merely events, and as such their motions, appearance, location, etc, can be handled with standard event functionality.

Highly specific conditions, such as character x appearing after event y is far too narrow to be possible in a standard kit. The event is whatever you make it, and will vary greatly from game to game, so simply setting a switch when the event occurs would allow you to control the villager event's appearance with out of the box functionality. You may want to check into some RMXP eventing tutorials for a deeper understanding of how much you can do with it, as this is very definitely the type of thing it exists for.

As for displaying conversation text when giving an item to a villager, it is controlled in the Reactions array in the Villagers module. The Preferences array I mentioned before only determines whether they like it, and the Reactions array determines what they say based on that result. You should find the exact text you are seeing in that array (for each villager number), and should be able to change it to whatever you like.

I'll try it thanks oh yeah about fishing, when the fishing system would come?

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 20, 2017
I'll try it thanks oh yeah about fishing, when the fishing system would come?
The fishing system should already be there and working, albeit a little buggy. If you go to the mountain and talk to the fisherman, he'll give you a fishing pole. You can use it in the water right next to him, or in the lake at the bottom of the mine.

In the very first post of this thread, I have a section that outlines what functionality is already in place. I try to keep it updated, so you should be able to see what is and isn't finished by checking there. There's quite a bit of other info there as well, so it may be helpful to check it out.

Back