• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon C# Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Varion Bluefire

A.K.A The Glitch
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 3, 2015
Imo, this app looks promising, it will probably be better than Essentials once released.
Although I'm not trying to offend oxysoft in anyways, I'm kinda disappointed at how slow this is progressing. Maybe you can add a few more screen shots once in a while?

But overall, it looks great!

I'd say he's progressing faster than most engines I've seen around actually. <3

Years
  • Seen Jun 14, 2013
I'd say he's progressing faster than most engines I've seen around actually. <3

If he posts images more often, it would seem like he is progressing even faster.
Also, oxysoft, if you ever get stuck on something and don't know how to handle it, or want a better way to implement it, just ask. I might be able to lend a hand. :)

I like where this editor is heading.

Varion Bluefire

A.K.A The Glitch
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 3, 2015
If he posts images more often, it would seem like he is progressing even faster.
Also, oxysoft, if you ever get stuck on something and don't know how to handle it, or want a better way to implement it, just ask. I might be able to lend a hand. :)

I like where this editor is heading.

Eh, there's no need to mega update stuff.
Better off only showing major things, which oxysoft has been doing.

Years
  • Seen Jun 14, 2013
Eh, there's no need to mega update stuff.
Better off only showing major things, which oxysoft has been doing.

Well, I guess he doesn't have to show every little thing, but putting images to show progress keeps this going, and gets even more followers, imo.

And it keeps super-followers like me tied to the thread.

Varion Bluefire

A.K.A The Glitch
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 3, 2015
Well sit there and keep following?
Asking more images is just pressure, which causing the OP to feel under pressure, and probably mess some things up.

Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2023
The thing is right now I'm trying to think of a better way to program map connections. Suggestions are appreciated :)

Varion Bluefire

A.K.A The Glitch
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 3, 2015
I don't know a lot about c#.

But essentials currently has it so you drag and drop the maps together, and save it. It then complies it into the .txt for RGSS to read and compile into the game.

Is something like that doable in C#?

Years
  • Seen Jun 14, 2013
That was one of my opinions, to drag and drop maps, so you can align them.
It makes it really simple for us developers.
Of course it's possible, it would be odd if Essentials can do it, and C# cannot.

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
Years
Very cool, this has sparked my interest.

If you'd like a little help drop me a PM and we can discuss working together.

Years
  • Seen Jun 14, 2013
Aww man! I'm dissappointed.
I was amazed at that Map Editor you made, how you can select tiles at different sizes, place entities, and I loved the SmartPlace feature that placed tiles that automatically 'adapt' to the ones near them.
After doing a lot of searching on Google for other stuff like this, I found Pokemon Dawn Engine, an open source C# Pokemon Engine.... Just like this. I downloaded the source code, and checked some stuff, and the map editor is nearly identical...
If you're going to steal, at least give credit. And here I thought you were doing all this from scratch!!
If you did do something, it was probably compile those tilesets into one from others..
Next time don't change the name of something that is already made, releasing it again. If you're going to make a Pokemon C# Engine, even if you're going to learn from other source codes, at least don't copy and paste. Do it in your own way, hell, you even kept the design of the forms the same...
I once, several months ago, started a C# Xna based Pokemon game, but I stopped. I'm now going to pickup that project, and continue. I'm going to make an ever better engine than Dawn, and It won't be based on it either.
Thank you, oxysoft, for inspiring me to get back to it, and have a nice day.

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
Years
I was amazed at that Map Editor you made, how you can select tiles at different sizes, place entities, and I loved the SmartPlace feature that placed tiles that automatically 'adapt' to the ones near them.
After doing a lot of searching on Google for other stuff like this, I found Pokemon Dawn Engine, an open source C# Pokemon Engine.... Just like this. I downloaded the source code, and checked some stuff, and the map editor is nearly identical...
If you're going to steal, at least give credit. And here I thought you were doing all this from scratch!!
If you did do something, it was probably compile those tilesets into one from others..
Next time don't change the name of something that is already made, releasing it again. If you're going to make a Pokemon C# Engine, even if you're going to learn from other source codes, at least don't copy and paste. Do it in your own way, hell, you even kept the design of the forms the same...
I once, several months ago, started a C# Xna based Pokemon game, but I stopped. I'm now going to pickup that project, and continue. I'm going to make an ever better engine than Dawn, and It won't be based on it either.

it appears you may be correct. I looked into it aswell and things do seem alot alike. But then again it could be a coincidence...

Rayquaza.

Lead Dev in Pokémon Order and Chaos
Years

You know that this is from scratch.

Just because they're similar doesn't mean they're the same. This is unique because it is here on this community, the biggest Pokémon fangame forum in the world, and will almost certainly be better.
If you have nothing to say exept false facts then say nothing at all. All that you have said is really quite rude and it is people like you have set my teeth on-edge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Years
  • Seen Jun 14, 2013
Just because they're similar doesn't mean they're the same. This is unique because it is here on this community, the biggest Pokémon fangame forum in the world, and will almost certainly be better.
If you have nothing to say exept false facts then say nothing at all. All that you have said is really quite rude and it is people like you have set my teeth on-edge.

Yea, there is a possibility it's a coincidence, but if I understand your comment correctly, you're saying it's unique because it's the first time it has been posted on this forum. So you're saying it's okay to steal if it's from another forum?!

It's possible that they are very similar, but how do you explain the similar form design? Hell, even he toolbar icons were the same! How can you explain that? Also, I always make sure I have proof before I make accusations.

Rayquaza., did you even search the internet for Dawn Engine before insulting and accusing me of false accusations?!

This is [supposedly] his engine: youtube.com/watch?v=s09VA4pO0VQ

This is Pokemon Dawn Engine [Official Youtube Channel]: youtube.com/watch?v=Kno4RxOlJ80

Next time, before you attack me back, search and do your research. The icons, the names of the toolbar menus, and even the default outdoor tile set is the same, not to forget that Dawn Engine is open source, so any one can steal or contribute to it.

All the evidence you need is in front of you, don't be a fool.

Last edited by a moderator:

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
I'm locking this thread, pending an investigation.

EDIT: I've unlocked it again. Oxysoft should be explaining things shortly. Don't derail the thread over it.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2023
yes, i was about to post explaining some stuff when maruno actually close my thread, disallowing me to do so :(

everything in my project (or almost) has been written by myself and from scratch. i've inspired myself from some design patterns they have chosen in pokemon dawn that i liked and were suited perfect for some situations but the code is mine in the most part.

i've alway sucked at making attractive GUI; i liked pokemon dawn's map editor GUI, so i remade it for my map editor and used their icons. i'm almost 100% sure those icons were found on google or www.iconfinder.com (amazing site for icons, check it out if you're a developer and need icons)

the auto tiles depicted in dawn's map editor do not work the same as me and are more limited from what i can see. the released source code of their engine and map editor did not even have the code for anything scripting related anyway. i use LUA, the scripting you can see in some of their videos looks nothing like LUA.

the graphics, tiles, etc. all belong to pokemon dawn or whoever made them for them. i liked them and i actually grew annoyed of looking at these awkward green/blue grass tiles from fire red when i was just starting to work on the engine, like way back before i had added any tool or anything.

some snippets of code and utility classes were recycled from their engine such as serialization (writing and reading my files, kinda cool how they did it) and shadow generating.

finally, i believe their engine was going to be used for their own poke server if i'm not mistaken and was never going to be public for people to make their own. (i don't speak german, had to rely on google translation)

credits have alway been in the description of my youtube video that was uploaded, i guess i've forgot to add them to the original post of this thread when i was editing it. will add them now.

anyway
back to the development of the engine, this is on the to-do list right now

- saving and loading region projects
- actual engine (rewritten so much stuff for the editor that old code is no longer compatible)
- day night system once engine is made
- map connections, need to think of a good way to implement them
- better management of maps in the editor, i have some ideas but i can't promise anything!

there's more but i can't think right now

Last edited:

zingzags

PokemonGDX creator
Years
Before the thread was unlocked I seen what was posted, I was about to prove that you are a capable programmer; Then I sent a pm to Maruno, and refreshed the page lol.

the__end

Pixel Artist
Years
  • Seen Jun 9, 2016
everything in my project (or almost) has been written by myself and from scratch. i've inspired myself from some design patterns they have chosen in pokemon dawn that i liked and were suited perfect for some situations but the code is mine in the most part.

I am REALLY surprised and disappointed right now. And I am curious about how much you have written yourself. According to the following quote...
oxysoft said:
only the Map Editor has been worked on so far
...you only worked on the map editor which was already done in Pokemon Dawn which you can see on these old screenshots:
Spoiler:

Here is one i made using Pokemon Dawns most recent source code:
Spoiler:

So you say you have written most of it yourself and made it look similar? I say PROVE it!
You can do it by showing us your source code you know! There is nothing you need to hide if your source code is unique and not the copy of Pokemon Dawn. By how it looks right now you just made a few changes to the original code which you can't claim as your own.

If someone wants to download the Pokemon Dawn source code go here.
Open "mapeditor.exe" from root\PokemonDawn\Dawn.MapEditor\bin\Debug to test their map editor features.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back