• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Digimon or Pokemon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
Digimon are created by taking an animal, covering it with thousands of weapons, spikes, armor, and markings, and calling it *something*-mon. These names are very uncreative, in contrast to Pokemon's witty names. Pokemon also, in appearance, are based off of real creatures, for the most part, and retain a fantasy appeal. Digimon are just giant robots. It's also obvious that Digimon was created to compete with Pokemon, but in that it failed miserably.

Digimon isn't even close to being a good Pokemon knockoff. Just compare a few creatures and note the differences. While Digimon have to resort to spikes, robotic limbs, armor, masks, markings, and all this other crap, Pokemon is much more simple in that regard.

Another thing that sticks out about Digimon is the color schemes. The color scheme of a Digimon is almost always random, and without any reason. Pokemon, though, have meaningful color schemes, or at least ones that look good together. Although some of the newer Pokemon exhibit Digimon-like traits (Black and White Kyurem, anyone?), I doubt that Pokemon will ever get quite as bad as Digimon.
This post just screams bias and baseless assumptions. Digimon is full of weapons, spikes and armor and aren't based on real creatures? They're uncreative? (which is so hilarious since we're also taking Pokemon into consideration)That's wrong, so wrong. And created only to compete with Pokemon? That's illogical considering Digimon started as a virtual pet toy. I'm not gonna even bother with the rest your rather unprofound statements.

Anyway Digimon for me. Pokemon just isn't all that appealing for me anymore, and is always "same-y". I feel Digimon always got something entirely new.

Affliction

Booted out - don't be like me!
Years
  • Age 46
  • Seen Sep 3, 2016
Hard.

I became more of a Digimon Fan since I lost my Heartgold game - But I have Mewtwo on Pokemon Red which NOTHING CAN MATCH.

I'd say they're equal.

But actually, Digimon came first until they're first game was cancelled and was put up for sales in 1997, 4 years later.

Pokemon Trainer UV

Attractively foolish
Years
..you're asking that question in a Pokemon Forum...really....

I prefer Digimon when it comes to the anime, but Pokemon wins by a landslide in games.

tajaros

Hi I'm dawg
Years
POKEMON! Why would I not choose POKEMON??!!

I don't freaking get anything about digimon all I know is all Digimon's have mon on the end of their names... xD

So it'll be POKEMON! :)

Murkrow

Nasty Plotting
Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2023
digimon was better in the old days. That was during its anime season 1-3/4 and when everyone was playing with the old digivices (ver 1-11?)

then everything went downhill from there. hated the newer shows (altough the latest one seems okay)

pokemon has always been decent throughout but digimon IMO has a stronger showing during its heyday.

Affliction

Booted out - don't be like me!
Years
  • Age 46
  • Seen Sep 3, 2016
The only Digimon thing I had was Digimon World. Quite good.

But this is what we need to decide:

Who has the best Games and
Who has the best Anime.

Years
I would have to say in terms of games Pokemon is certainly better, in terms of anime Digimon definitely has a more interesting and varying storyline, i only usually watch Pokemon for nostalgic reasons whereas Digimon can actually be interesting as well

Years
  • Seen Jul 17, 2015
both franchises are good in their own ways. Pokemon has a great collection of pokemon games and I've always enjoyed the digimon anime.

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
Years
Easy one. I've played most of the major Digimon games (World 1-3 + Data Squad, DS ones), and they were great, but hey can't really beat the Pokemon games IMO. Digimon World 3 was a close call, but it had some serious issues, like being to hard in some parts (aka requires a lot grinding) and sizes of Digimon were ridiculous, like some small Digimons were as big as Angemon. The DS games and Data Squad improved a lot, but in I think they never really surpassed the third one. They looked better, played better, but DW 3 just had something those games don't. tl;dr - Pokemon all the way. As for the anime show, I'd have to go with Digimon. I watched all seasons except for Xros Wars, and they are way better than the Pokemon show. I love Pokemon, but in the terms of directing and actual storyline, Digimon did better. But I am not really fond of Xros Wars (saw two episodes) since they used some fusion things. I don't really like that since Digimon was always about levels (Baby, Child, Adult, Perfect and Ultimate) except for Frontier, but I liked that concept. I guess if I watch it I'll like it. Maybe the concept ain't that bad. tl;dr - Digimon shows win. Original Uncut that is. Not the dubs.

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2012
Both Digimon and Pokemon as anime were gold up until season 2, then I lost interest for both of them. But Pokemon obviously beats Digimon when it comes to games.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
Can people give a good, detailed reason as to why the Pokemon games are better than Digimon instead of just flat out saying it?

I get that Pokemon makes a lot of impacts as a media icon nowadays and is easily accessible, but as games they are completely overrated by the older audience (which I'd argue is because of nostalgia.). Sure, it gets a lot of praise for being a very accessible and easy to get RPG series, and it's warranted. But the whole mechanics are lackluster and predictable that I feel people hype it way too much when it's completely for younger audience. And don't give me that "but competitive battling is deep" stuff, it's not. It doesn't take months to learn about EVs, IVs and Natures like what some people make it seem to be, and strategy is present in all turn based RPGs anyway. Pokemon certainly has strong points that make it a good IP but I feel it's a weak RPG overall.

I will not deny that Digimon games have flaws, because they certainly do, and I have only played two games so my opinion is not biased. But when I played the games I felt, as a general RPG, it was the better one. The gameplay is fresh and something I don't usually see, the level designs were pretty good and the mechanics to getting a Digimon is very thought out and puts an emphasize on managing your team rather than just using your favorite. It's just much more challenging, fun and rewarding.

It's like calling Pokemon better than Final Fantasy III/IV/V/VI/VII/whatever, Persona 1/2/3/4, Shin Megami Tensei 3: Nocturne, Chrono Trigger, etc for all the wrong reasons imo.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Oct 11, 2012
I love them both and grew up watching them religiously. They have special places in my heart for being one of my early "gateways" into anime.

KonohaSkye

Gamer 4 Life
Years
Digimon for the anime. As for comparing the Digimon games to Pokemon I have not played the new games since they are only in Japanese so can't say

Keitaro

Urashima
Years
I'm going to say Pokemon, I could tolerate Team Rocket doing their motto + blasting off every episode a lot more then 50 Digimon having to Digivolve, but by the same token I'd take the first two seasons of Digimon any day over anything after Season 5 of Pokemon. After Ash battled Gary in the Johto League and they ditched Misty, Pokemon has gone downhill in my opinion. Even when Ash went back to Kanto, we never saw any of the old school characters from Season 1, show just continued with a bunch of fillers and is a chore to even watch for me.

Thing I felt Digimon missed out on was sticking to their core characters, I've always thought it would of been neat to see how the original gang develop in their older years since unlike Pokemon, characters actually aged in that show, lol. Just my opinion though.

SinisterEternity

→ Friends call me SE, or Neo ~
Years
I personally like both, though Digimon really was better anime-wise, ... Now maybe if they made an anime out of the BW2 games with the characters, and around the same lines of the trailer, that may change my mind.

Years
  • Seen Oct 16, 2012
I'm honestly gonna have to say Digimon here. At first, Pokemon was cool and all, but after a few years it REALLY started to get boring. These days, the only Pokemon games that can actually keep me amused are PMD and, to a lesser extent, Ranger.

When I first discovered Digimon while channel hopping not too long ago, my first reaction was 'Meh. Must be another crappy excuse for a monster anime'. And so, I simply skipped over it. But after actually watching a few eps, I was hooked. After finishing Savers, I watched Tamers and Frontier, and played a few games. In my honest opinion, they were way better than the Pokemon anime, and the games were pretty damn awesome too. And the fact that the Digimon SPOKE made life better. Be honest here, how many of you can understand every word Pikachu says?

The only problems I actually have with Digimon are the fanbase and the first two seasons. I didn't feel the same thing I felt while watching seasons 3, 4 and 5 while watching 1 and 2. But yeah, my vote goes to Digimon. *Dodges tomatoes*

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
Years
POKEMON, OF COURSE. <3 who wouldn't agree? This IS Pokecommunity after all. I assume all of you are fans of Pokemon. Or else why would you join? :D

Well, I say this as I'm only a fan of Pokemon. I've never watched an episode of Digimon nor played their games before, so perhaps my vote isn't really fair for this case. Almost my whole childhood has been about Pokemon. Well, I don't know. Maybe I would like Digimon if I've tried? I really wouldn't know. The only thing I've ever played was Digimon Rumble on the PS2. That's not even a real Digimon game, for all I know.

Last edited:

daniel4230877

Personally, I feel that Digimon had a much better anime (if the Pokemon Adventures manga had been the anime, then Pokemon would definately win ;]), and Pokemon has much much better video games. Although I did enjoy Digimon World and Digimon Rumble Arena

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back