• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

March Maaaadness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
I feel so weird when people talk about customary tips that even go for percentages of their bills- here tips are considered a reward and if they go over €1 (even for a 10-people massive dinner), the waiters can consider themselves happy.

Traditions I guess.

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
Years
Every place kinda differs... some places yes the tips are for extra rewards, while some others the tips are expected as you're paying them for their services directly (and not through paying for the food, and the restaurant pays their staff.) I am relatively cheap and I pay around 10%, while someone online was rather upset at me about it as he tips 17.5%... so heh.

As for movies just never a big movie type of guy... not a lot of people to go with maybe the cause of it XD

Years
Well, I know in my case, we're paid below minimum wage. I guess the tips are supposed to make up for that? Idk. It's kind of a wonky system.

It snowed here on my birthday. It was magical. (I stayed inside the entire time~)
I'm actually going to go see Les Mis with an old friend from high school tonight, and then we're going to a club to see my friend perform in a drag show. Then..probably a bar? It's pretty exciting because this is my first time to go to a bar as I just turned 21. :B

I really wanted to see Lincoln, but never got around to it. :C

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
Wow, lots of snow on the way. 3-6 inches for all of Pennsylvania. This will be a great opportunity to test my new camera some more.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
I'm definitely interested in seeing Les Miserables. I'm really into movie adaptations of history novels/musicals (since the book came first, then the musical, then the movie) and while I've not read the book or seen the musical, it looks like it'd be worth going to see. Also Amanda Seyfried <33

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
I'm only interested in seeing Lincoln really. I'm not a movie guy. I have enough trouble finishing hour long shows like Dexter and Gamecenter CX, as good as they are.
Well, bear in mind that Lincoln is a 2 1/2 hour talky extravaganza. I'm not its biggest fan (although I loved Daniel Day-Lewis and the way it looked) but I'm aware that I'm definitely in the minority on this one. :O

Last edited by a moderator:
Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2015
Maybe seeing Les Miserable today. I hear good things about it, so im sure it'll be great.

The movie is too late today, so seeing it tomorrow, which also happens to be my sister's birthday.

Last edited:

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Les Mis is amazing. Such a great movie.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
I would love to go and see Les Mes but I just saw the Hobbit earlier this week and my family, unless we're going with a friend, tend to be on this 'one movie a year' sort of deal due to how much they are. Though since my brother missed seeing the Hobbit with us (we thought he was going to see it with his friend but apparently his friend had already saw it guh) he'll be going to see that today and we're... probably going to go carpet shopping or something?? idek anymore since who knows when my sister is going to wake up.

outfox

in
Years
  • Seen Feb 25, 2013
I had no idea there was a new movie adaptation for Les Mis. I'm too busy being safe and cozy under my rock to know what's going on in the world. I'm curious about it, but I refuse to pay 17$ to see any movie

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Yeah I skipped The Hobbit to watch Les Mis because I'm the same way about movies - it was Les Mis or The Hobbit.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
I'm definitely interested in seeing Les Miserables. I'm really into movie adaptations of history novels/musicals (since the book came first, then the musical, then the movie) and while I've not read the book or seen the musical, it looks like it'd be worth going to see. Also Amanda Seyfried <33

I'd be more concern about the movie watchers' demands for pure original movies (Star Wars, E.T., Inception, etc) rather than movies based on history novels/musicals, because those people would mark the end of Hollywood and the beginning of the Moviepocalypse, as suggested by the Movie Preview Critic.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Wait what? People demanding original movies will end movies? o_O

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Wait what? People demanding original movies will end movies? o_O

Um no, perhaps I should go into more detail. The people who demand more original movies believe that if Hollywood were to continue making movies based off of books, comics, TV shows, plays, musicals, and toy lines, as well as remakes and sequels to previous movies, it would mark the end of Hollywood as we know it. That's what I'm trying to say.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
That's fine and dandy, but I'm sure most people are still fans of movie adaptations just for the thrill of indulging in someone else's perception of whatever it is adapting. I like them, anyway!

outfox

in
Years
  • Seen Feb 25, 2013
Um no, perhaps I should go into more detail. The people who demand more original movies believe that if Hollywood were to continue making movies based off of books, comics, TV shows, plays, musicals, and toy lines, as well as remakes and sequels to previous movies, it would mark the end of Hollywood as we know it. That's what I'm trying to say.

These kinds of people misunderstand that every idea is based on something, and that the mainstream movie industry is not the only place where brilliant ideas can be found.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2015
Movies based on books and stuff are usually very well made, Harry Potter films were terrific as were Lord of the Rings, and The Hunger Games( though the other films of that series have yet to be released but Im expecting them to retain their quality). Les Miserables looks like a very good film and I cant wait to see it, I enjoy seeing films based on already existing material, I like seeing what people bring to it in film, original films are also great, but I really enjoy films based on books and such.

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
I've only seen one movie that was based on a book I've actually finished and it was quite a while ago.

In some ways, I think movies made from books can ruin it a bit. Isn't some of the fun of reading being able to mentally picture what's going on? The details of characters that haven't been described? The exact landscape of where they are?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back