• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Synergy [Gen IV RMT] [Heavy Offense]

Snorelacks

Ready to get burned?
Years
Hullo there. I've been inactive a lot lately, so I decided to make a new thread to let people know I'm back. This Generation Four heavy offense team is appropriately named Synergy because it's all about taking advantage of immunities and resistances on the switch. I run pretty much all 4/252/252 because of this team's Heavy Offense category.

Infernape @ Focus Sash
Blaze
Jolly Nature (+Speed, -Special Attack)
~Mach Punch
~Stone Edge/Close Combat/U-Turn/Flare Blitz/Stealth Rock
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe

This is a lead... it still needs some deciding... obviously.
Please Help. Stone Edge gets good coverage. Close Combat is awesome but redundant with Mach Punch. U-Turn lets you get the heck out when you need to and hopefully preserves your Focus Sash. Flare Blitz would be mostly used as a finishing move since Focus Sash doesn't like recoil. Stealth Rock is an entry hazard... yeah. I don't have it anywhere else on my team, so it could be of help. I really need help with this one, thanks.

Jolteon @ Life Orb
Volt Absorb
Timid Nature (+Speed, -Attack)
~Charge Beam
~Thunderbolt
~Hidden Power (Ice, 70)
~Shadow Ball
EVs: 4 HP/252 SpAtk/252 Spe

Jolteon is... awesome. Purely. It's mad fun to use and can sweep entire unprepared teams. The strategy (in Gen IV) for this Charge Beam set is to bring him in on the free switch after a teammate is KOed, then Charge Beam the weakened opponent and sweep.

Alakazam @ Choice Specs
Inner Focus
Timid Nature (+Speed, -Attack)
~Psychic
~Focus Blast
~Shadow Ball
~Trick
4 HP/252 SpAtk/252 Spe

Alakazam? But it's UU!
Yeah, but I don't get why. So it's frail. Gengar's frail too, and it has lower Speed and Special Attack than Alakazam, but it's OU. So why can't Alakazam be?
This set is self-explanatory. Choice Specs gives tons of power with the highest non-Uber Special Attack (Remeber, this is a Gen IV team), base 135.

Yanmega @ Wise Glasses/Leftovers
Speed Boost
Modest Nature (+Special Attack, -Attack)
~Protect
~Bug Buzz
~Air Slash
~Hidden Power Ground
4 HP/252 SpAtk/252 Spe

Yanmega's really good, blah blah blah, all that trash. It has good Special Attack and doesn't have to run Timid because of Speed Boost to raise its mediocre speed. Modest further bolsters the aforementioned Special Attack stat, as does Wise Glasses. I'm considering replacing them with Leftovers, however, so that Yanmega can deal with priority users that take about a third of its HP with each hit, because this Yanmega can
3(if not 2)HKO the entire metagame.

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Intimidate
Adamant Nature (+Attack, -Special Attack)
~Dragon Dance
~Waterfall
~Stone Edge
~Earthquake

I had a serious lack of Physical Sweepers going on, so here's DDdos. After a Dragon Dance it becomes a beast with huge Speed and double that in Attack. Waterfall is the obligatory awesom STAB move, while Stone Edge and Earthquake are great coverage and hit many Gyarados counters hard.

Garchomp @ Salac Berry
Sand Veil
Jolly Nature (+Speed, -Special Attack)
~Substitute
~Swords Dance
~Dragon Claw
~Earthquake

SubSalac Garchomp. It might not look effective to you, but it works wonders for me. Underestimate it at your own risk.
The key here is simple: Sub until you can get in a Swords Dance/Salac Boost. If you can get both, it can devastate entire teams. With one, it's still a terrifying sweeper. Swords Dance raises its Attack astronomically; giving an equivalent of base 250 Attack, while Salac gives its Speed a huge boost; an equivalent of base 153 (which outruns Normal Deoxys and Attack Deoxys, for good measure).

So, there's my team.
Please remember that this is a Gen IV team! B/W doesn't exist to this team!
Thank you.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Infernape is best with the standard lead set, since it has Fake Out to break opposing Focus Sashes. Don't use Flare Blitz because it renders Focus Sash useless if it's intact or kills you after it has been activated:
-Fake Out
-Stealth Rock
-Fire Blast
-Close Combat
Nature: Hasty/Naive
EVs: 64 Atk/252 SAtk/192 Spe
Item: Focus Sash

Alakazam has little use for Inner Focus; use Synchronize instead.

Also, Garchomp is an Uber in the generations it's in; your best bet for an OU Dragon in Gen IV is Dragonite:
-Dragon Dance
-Dragon Claw/Outrage
-Earthquake/Fire Punch
-Roost
Nature: Adamant/Jolly
EVs: 252 HP/44 Atk/212 Soe
Item: Leftovers/Life Orb

Snorelacks

Ready to get burned?
Years
I'll consider Fake Out, but honestly it's pretty impossible for me to get it. Same with Fire Punch for no recoil. I've been considering Flame Wheel, but it's so weak... if only Infernape had Technician... Maybe I could go Mach Punch/Stealth Rock/U-Turn or Stone Edge/Close Combat or Stone Edge?

This is actually a PBR team since Platinum doesn't support my Wi-fi, so Ubers are totally legal, and Garchomp, Salamence, and Wobbuffet aren't frowned upon. Also, the SubSalac set is an OU set.

Snorelacks

Ready to get burned?
Years
I have an Infernape set here that's close:

Infernape @ Focus Sash
Blaze
Hasty Nature (+Speed, -Defense)
~U-Turn
~Stealth Rock
~Fire Blast
~Close Combat
EVs: 64 Atk/252 SpAtk/192 Spe

But I realized that Protect+Vacuum Wave/Mach Punch might do a good job as well (this is actually an original strategy):

Infernape @ Focus Sash
Blaze
Timid Nature (+Speed, -Attack) For the special version
Jolly Nature (+Speed, -Special Attack) for the physical version
~Protect
~Stealth Rock
~Vacuum Wave/Mach Punch
~Fire Blast/Fire Punch/Stone Edge
EVs: 4 HP/252 SpAtk/252 Spe (for the special version)
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe (For the physical version)

So, the basic strategy here is to send it out as a lead, Protect if the opponent can learn Fake Out (so as not to break Focus), then you're not hit by the Fake Out (or whatever they do use, so long as it isn't Stealth Rock/Spikes, etc. and then you can proceed to hit the opponent with Punch/Wave or one of the more powerful moves. What do you think?

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
I second PlatinumDude's Infernape set.

The reason Gengar is in OU while Alakazam is in UU is because of it's typing. Gengar finds itself weak to the same threats as Alakazam (save Bug/Psychic), but has 6 resistances. Half of them being full immunities. While Alakazam only resists Fighting and Psychic. Not to mention Gengar's spin blocking abilities.

Use Leftovers on Yanmega. That way, you can get some HP back while using Protect.

I see Dragons giving this team a hard time because everything but Garchomp takes neutral damage from them. Garchomp taking super effective damage, obviously. So something like Ice Fang on Gyarados might be something to consider.

That's all I can come up with now. I might be back later.

Snorelacks

Ready to get burned?
Years
I think Ice Fang on Gyarados is sort of an abomination. It's just so weak, and, believe it or not, Jolteon's HP Ice is a great Dragon Counter. I could use the Specially-Based Mixed Attacker Infernape just to get another Ice move on there.

I know about the typing difference. In fact, Gengar would probably be best on this team considering the title. Maybe I could compare it to Azelf. It uses Special Choice sets but is slower and less powerful that Alakazam.

I was also thinking of giving Yanmega

Back