• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen I've never played R/B/G/Y!!!

Pinta77

I've played, and beat, Gold and Crystal, R/S/E, FR/LG, D/P/Pl, Soul silver, Colosseum & XD, Battle Revolution, and White Version! (Most of the main games) But I've never even played Red, Green, Blue, or Yellow Version!

So I got Yellow Version today and I'm Playing it on my iPhone. And I'm Kind of surprised, right off the bat, it was different from what I expected. I got to watch Professor Oak catch a Pikachu, and Gary got an Eevee.

So what do you think about me playing every other game, but not the originals? (Until now)

And what can I expect? How is Yellow Version different from Red/Blue/Green version?

Last edited:

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
Yellow Version features elements from the anime;
Pikachu doesn't go in a pokéball but follows you instead.
Team Rocket Duo Jesse and James appear
Gary gets an Eevee and has a better team (based on the anime team apprently)
Default name is ASH instead of RED.

So if you wanted a more game element based, R/B/G would be your ball.
But if you want some anime elements Yellows your man.

Dartht33bagger

Only plays Gen I and II
Years
I've always wondered how people that have only played the newer games feel once they play the Gen I games. I started off with Gen I and have mostly played through that game, so it's near and dear to me.

As for if you should play Red or Blue, I'd say yes. Honestly, Yellow version is my least favorite of the Gen I games and I've only played through my Yellow version once. Pikachu is a horrible starter because it limits you so much since you'll only have the ability to catch normal and bug type pokemon before Brock. In Red and Blue you can pick a starter that gives you a varied type, with the ability to catch a Pikachu in Viridian Forest (the forest before Brock).

So if you do continue with Yellow, I would definitely say play through Red or Blue at one point. They are incredibly different games, but I think they are different enough to make it worth the second play through.

Grif of Hearts

Que sera sera~
Years
I've always wondered how people that have only played the newer games feel once they play the Gen I games. I started off with Gen I and have mostly played through that game, so it's near and dear to me.

As do I, Darth. I'm not going to go all 'RAWR YOU'RE SO INFERIOR FER NAWT PLAYIN GEN1', but I do think you should play one of the original Pokemon games to see how far the games have progressed since then.

Yellow is the only Gen1 game I've owned (although I have played through Blue), and it's also the first Pokemon game I've ever had. Loved it to pieces. The start is a bit of a pain, since you're forced to start with Pikachu and it has no chance of fighting against Brock's gym. Generally though, I think that Yellow, Red, Blue/Green are all equally amazing.

Years
  • Age 31
  • IL
  • Seen Jan 12, 2013
Yellow was my first Pokemon game. I played the hell out of that game back then. Brock was a bit of a pain since you started with a Pikachu, but if you caught a Mankey or got a Butterfree, you should be able to beat him.

I also like that you can get all three starters as you progress through the game.

Grif of Hearts

Que sera sera~
Years
Yellow was my first Pokemon game. I played the hell out of that game back then. Brock was a bit of a pain since you started with a Pikachu, but if you caught a Mankey or got a Butterfree, you should be able to beat him.

I also like that you can get all three starters as you progress through the game.

Or a Nidoran. Nidoran was my personal favourite, honestly.

That was indeed a nice feature. And getting Bulbasaur depended on how happy your Pikachu was. Putting the pre-happiness system to good use, I think. c:

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015

As for if you should play Red or Blue, I'd say yes. Honestly, Yellow version is my least favorite of the Gen I games and I've only played through my Yellow version once. Pikachu is a horrible starter because it limits you so much since you'll only have the ability to catch normal and bug type pokemon before Brock. In Red and Blue you can pick a starter that gives you a varied type, with the ability to catch a Pikachu in Viridian Forest (the forest before Brock).

So if you do continue with Yellow, I would definitely say play through Red or Blue at one point. They are incredibly different games, but I think they are different enough to make it worth the second play through.

Obviously someone didn't know about the Mankey's and Nido's on Route 22 that learned Low kick, or some sort of fighting move at around Level 12.

Pinta77

I had to restore my iPhone x( so all of my data was lost for Pokemon yellow... Once I get things working again, I will probably get red and/or blue as well as yellow.

I have to say, I was pretty happy with yellow version so far. I mean, I only got to viridian city, but right off the bat it was different from what I expected. I'm not very happy with the pikachu starter though... Can I evolve it?

Dartht33bagger

Only plays Gen I and II
Years
No, you can't unfortunately. Only way is to trade it to either Red or Blue, evolve it, then trade back to Yellow.

If you do this, Raichu won't follow you around anymore either if I remember correctly.

Obviously someone didn't know about the Mankey's and Nido's on Route 22 that learned Low kick, or some sort of fighting move at around Level 12.

When I was a kid I never knew about it. On my single play through of Yellow as a kid I remember training Pikachu up to level 20 something in the grass below Pewter and then beating Brock. I now know to get one of those Pokemon but I don't really like that method too much since I'll be wasting valuable trainer xp on pokemon that I don't plan to use in my team after the first gym.

I actually started playing through Yellow on my phone last week because I have only played through it once but I gave up on it quickly. The start of the game was just too tedious and I eventually switched to Blue. Why not start with a water/grass/fire and then catch a Pikachu a little bit later instead of getting stuck with a Pikachu and some normal/fighting/bug/poison types. At least that's how I feel about it.

Ammako

I hate you. You know who you are.
Years
  • Seen Feb 1, 2018
What do I think?
You didn't miss much.

Kanto_Johto

Never glimpse the truth
Years
What do I think?
You didn't miss much.
Disagreed. Gen I was awesome back in the day. Anyone aged 18-22 who didn't have this game during their childhood definitely missed out.

Yellow is much better than R/B/G because graphically speaking, everything is so much nicer to look at. Other than that it's pretty much exactly the same gameplay wise, just with different Pokemon that are unobtainable (and you have to start with Pikachu, which is unfortunate if you don't have a way of trading to R/G/B/G/S/C to evolve it and trade it back).

If you enjoyed all the other games (FireRed/LeafGreen in particular), you'll definitely enjoy Yellow. It's basically just a less graphically enhanced version of FRLG with a few different game mechanics and not as many moves/Pokemon.

Years
That's ok. I've only gotten to Lavender town on Yellow and haven't played the game since. (don't take that the wrong way because it's Lavender Town)

Dartht33bagger

Only plays Gen I and II
Years
What do I think?
You didn't miss much.

It depends on what you like, really. I like the older games because they are so much simpler than the new games. No need to worry about EV's natures, weather, etc. Not to mention I think the 8-bit music is far superior to the newer games/remakes music. The new music just sounds way too clean and boring to me.

hinkage

Everyone currently in an argument with this member
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 24, 2024
I feel bad for the people who really love Pokemon, but are too young/too new to the series, and didn't get to play the originals before playing any of the newer games.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
I see a lot of dissing on Yellow, which I can understand since I didn't like it much either, but no one has bothered to mention that you can obtain all three starters in Yellow, rather than just one, which is a benefit.

I certainly enjoyed my Blue Version back in the day (Go Blastoise!), but at the time, I didn't really understand entirely how to play it. My friend Vincent wound up getting my pokemon to level 36 for me and beating most of the gym leaders, then I would just play around, 'cause that's what kids did. It may not have been that special, but it was certainly a highlight of my childhood.

Fun Fact: I lost my Blue Version by the time Gold came out, so I couldn't transfer my starter. I was very sad.

Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2016
I see it as unfair to the series if you don't at least find out what the roots of the game where like. I'm obviously biased because I started Pokemon with REd and Blue. You will hate the graphics most likely, but I find something calming about the simplicity and nostalgia.

Back