• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Starter Pokémon

Pick a starter.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PhoenixWright77

Pokémaster Attorney
Years
  • Seen May 17, 2015
I noticed something interesting. In the video you will notice each starter attacking twice. The first one using it's own type and the second time it's using a move of a different type. Maybe that other type is their secondary type? If that is true, this is what I think their types will be.

Chespin=Grass/Dark

Fennekin=Fire/Psychic

Froakie=Water/Fighting

Years
  • Seen Jul 31, 2016
Fennekin is easily my favourite, but these guys do look interesting. Better than the Gen 5 starters. My Fennekin will be called Mozilla :3

PaxAmericana

Resident Peacekeeper
Years
Rating them in my mind on what I'd use in-game, I'd probably pick Fennekin over the others just because I have a passion for fire types and the fact it looks sexy/cute.

Rating them on creativity, Chespin takes the cake for that one. It sort of resembles Nuzleaf in a way but gives a new twist to the design.

And, lastly, contrary to most people on here, I'd also probably pick Froakie, for it has given a better looking design to a "frog" than any others before it.

masaru3

Chespin, I choose you!
Years
I'm going to pick Chespin, but I have to have a Fennekin in my team as soon as possible. These starters look awesome and actually worth training. I can't say the same thing about the frog. It's the only ugly water starter until now, they could have done a better job with the water starter. Maybe it's evolutions will change my mind about it.

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
Years
The new starters are some of the best I've seen in like 2 generations. My favorite of the three would have to be Chespin O:

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
So, what does everyone think the Evolutions of the starters' types will be?

Personally I think the fox will stay pure fire while the Chipmunk will be either Grass/Fighting or Grass/Ground. Water will be Water/Flying. His white fluff looks like clouds to me even though some people draw him with bubbles on his back.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
I'm someone who goes after the grass-type starters first. My first impression of Chespin was...not so well. To me it looks like a tanned Dewott in a Snivy costume. I'm still trying to figure out why it has some kind of hat on its head. Or whatever it is. As I am posting this, it is starting to grow on me. It's typical at first, but I'll give it time.

Fennekin is just simply ADORABLE. I like foxes, and Fennekin might just beat out my other favorite fox Pokemon Ninetales & Vulpix. I'm really curious about this Pokemon's later evolutions. I hope it's majestic, and I REALLY hope it doesn't turn out to be a fire-fighting starter, or I will be disappoint.

I'm not a fan of Froakie, so I'll be staying away from that Pokemon. It's a huge disapointment from last generation when we had Oshawott. I hope this Pokemon has a good evolution line, then we'll talk. :P

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Fennekin. Sold. It even looks the most like a Pokémon.

Chespin looks cute, but seems like the odd one out as far as what the three are (Fennekin is obviously a cute little fox cub, Froakie is clearly a frog). While Froakie meets the "looks like a Pokémon" criteria I have, Chespin comes across as a more useful starter already without even knowing movesets. But Fennekin is my choice. Fire better not be weak early on or I will be sad.

Hikari: nice sig. image already. That was quick!

Cyclone

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
Froakie looks funny, it's definitely the one I'll be choosing when it comes out :P

The grass kinda looks like a grass type Oshawott in my point of view haha.

And the fox, I'm not really amazed by it's design really. Froakie got to me by the way his face just looks like a derp face :P

Deceit

Toxic.
Years
Wow, I'm surprised Froakie is the least picked pokemon. I really love that frog. And again, I've fallen for the water type, must be some kind of pattern or something. Next favorite would be Fennekin, it has a cool design. I don't like Chespin really. Idk, for me it seems like its design is just mixed up.

But the evolutions haven't even been released yet. I really hope Froakie doesn't turn out to be something like Oshawott to Samurott. That was really disappointing.

So what are your typing guesses, guys?

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
I actually like these! I'm seeing very little hate which is a huge difference from last year, iirc there were lots of hate for our little Unova starters :(

Chespin kind of reminds me of Oshawott but I actually like it's design and hopefully its fully evolved form looks cool, because I think I'm going to pick this one. n_n Froakie's alright, I hope it doesn't end up like Seismitoad and Fennekin like Ninetales. But overall these are nice!

I just realized today that since there is almost no way they could pull off a Fire/Fighting fox we are free from that type combination!

Kloun

Dividing by zero since 2011.
Years
I would really have to see the evolutions to decide who I'm going to pick, seeing as I always pick my starters on who I think looks the coolest.

I do think Froakie has huge potential, though, so I'm really excited to see what he's going to look like fully evolved.

I'm not a huge fan of the grass type. It just looks so.... familiar. I really want to see what the fire type will look like though, since I can definitely see something epic evolving from that little fox. I'm generally super excited about the new game, and can't wait to see the other gen six pokemon.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Wow, I'm surprised Froakie is the least picked pokemon. I really love that frog. And again, I've fallen for the water type, must be some kind of pattern or something. Next favorite would be Fennekin, it has a cool design. I don't like Chespin really. Idk, for me it seems like its design is just mixed up.

But the evolutions haven't even been released yet. I really hope Froakie doesn't turn out to be something like Oshawott to Samurott. That was really disappointing.

So what are your typing guesses, guys?
I have a feeling Chespin gains a Fighting subtype. It stands upright already. However, it looks like a mole, so it could be Grass/Ground.

Fennekin I can't see sub-typed. None really match. Unless it gains Psychic abilities (I swear I saw it using a Psychic attack in the trailer, so I'd bank on this one). Just look at my avatar, so cute chasing a Pokéball on the string!

(Just to clear something up, I'm male. That just looks cute.)

Froakie is like a Water form of Croagunk to me. I'm not a fan of it as I never liked Croagunk (must be a frog thing). However, it may grow on me. Water/Poison, mebbe? In light of a post below mine, Water/Fighting is my second guess for the same reason stated; I saw a Fighting move there. However, a lot of Pokémon can learn individual Fighting moves. I'm going with Water/Poison as a frog comes across as a poisonous type to me.

Cyclone

Last edited:

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
Years
I actually like these! I'm seeing very little hate which is a huge difference from last year, iirc there were lots of hate for our little Unova starters :(

Chespin kind of reminds me of Oshawott but I actually like it's design and hopefully its fully evolved form looks cool, because I think I'm going to pick this one. n_n Froakie's alright, I hope it doesn't end up like Seismitoad and Fennekin like Ninetales. But overall these are nice!

I just realized today that since there is almost no way they could pull off a Fire/Fighting fox we are free from that type combination!

I remember thinking that when Tepig was revealed, a fighting pig is just a ridiculous idea, and it was indeed ridiculous.

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

I really love these starters, there getting no where near as much hate as Unova's. Chespin looks really cool, and looks like he could turn into some bad-ass Pokemon. Fennekn is too cute, it is adorable <3 I can see it turning into some really beautiful Pokemon. Froakie is okay looking, but Im glad to say his evolutions have big potential. I think they missed the mark with the other frog Pokemon, maybe this time they'll hit it.

I think the types will be: Chespin-Grass/Dark, Fennekin-Fire/Psychic and Froakie-Water-Fighting. Reasons, well in the trailer it appears that they use moves mentioned above. This would be awesome because then all the types would be balanced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back