• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokémon] ~>{*Shiny Hunters Club}<~

mathioks

owner of the lonestar's gym
Years
first of all congratz on all new shinies!

my diamond must be the worst chaining game ever! my best chains from now on, 29,32,34,35,39 :o i am really getting frustrated, trying to chain a pikachu but can't pull it off ...

good luck to all of you !

Shadow Chaos

Has gone...
Years
  • Seen Aug 9, 2012
I hate you Lord Danswich. (j/k)

You got your sttupid Chimchar on the 39th egg while I passed 1000.. ;^;

I have a feeling that those eggs that I never got to hatch (DS crashed) one of them was a shiny.... ;<

I am having no luck and I feel like quitting and just starting on hatching (shiny) Aipom for my team. (And the other shiny Pokemon team members, Chimchar isn't on the team)

<:(

There were 6 Eggs that I could'nt hatch cause of the same reason, and I fear the same...

Spoiler:

I wish I had that luck. Congratulations. :D

Okay guys, I'm back, and slightly dissapointed. I was in the Safari Zone in my LeafGreen, and I saw, and caught, a shiny with one ball. But it wasn't a Tauros or Kangaskhan as I had been hoping and praying. It. Was. A. God-darned. Nidoran. Female.

phpQIWMUHAM.jpg

(Yes I know the picture sucks, but it was the best I could do).

She's Hasty, and her IVs are the following:

1/22/21/27/22/11

Not half bad, but could I at least get an Exeggcute or something non-Pokeradarable? Sorry to sound bitter, but that's not what I wanted in my lengthy search for an Adamant or Jolly Tauros or Kangaskhan. -__-;

I caught my Nidoran (M) in the Safari Zone. Actually managing to capture one there is a privilege few have.

Spoiler:

Have I mentioned how much I wish I had your luck? XD

Slowly, but surely, I'm continuing with my hatching. Updates are gonna be in my signature, and I'm gonna keep track of how many Eggs via the Masuda Method it will take to get Charmander in my signature. Good luck everyone.

It's Just Fufu

Nostalgia is powerful.
Years
Good luck with your shiny Charmander, Shadow Chaos! You've been at it so long!

And if you wanted my luck then, you're going to want it even more now...because I got ANOTHER new shiny today!

To keep a long story short, I fished up a male shiny Horsea in Vermilion City. It was the 1201st Pokemon I fished, and it has a Hardy nature. I caught it in a Dive Ball. :) It's IVs are

HP: 18
Att: 29
Def: 26
SAtk: 26
SDef: 23
Speed: 3

Which are stellar to say the least. Definitely one of my most prized shinies now! I'll EV train it later, after I get shiny Rotom.

I'm going to focus on getting a shiny Rotom on Diamond or Platinum now. I've changed the clocks around, so I will be able to get in many more SRs. Good luck everyone (exlucding me)!

Oh yeah, I'll also sneak in a few SRs for Regirock here and there. Nothing too serious, though.

Edit: Yeah, SRing for Regirock is not happening. Double SRing for Rotom is too fun. :) I also decided to do some faux EVing for Kingdra on FR, so that I don't feel bad for "neglecting" it or anything.

Edit2: Well, I'm shocked.

Literally.

me on a different forum said:
Oh my god....

I had just woken up not quite an hour ago, and I was reading the posts that I missed...and I read Rednight17's post. While I doing that, I was SRing for Rotom on my Platinum version and Diamond version. I had had done 58 resets between them (29 each) and on the 30th SR...the Rotom on my Platinum was SHINY!! I am in a battle with it right now, and I shall talk you through what I do. It appeared at 10:09 AM; the reason I am just now posting is because about thirty seconds after the shiny Rotom appeared, my dad walked in and showed me how to use my new cell phone. -_-

Anyways, I send out my shiny Giratina, for it is the first Pokemon in my party.

I switch to my Bibarel. Rotom uses Uproar. I switch to Noctowl, so that I may use Foresight because it can't fall asleep while using Uproar. It uses Uproar once more. Noctowl uses Foresight. Rotom uses Uproar again. I switch to Bibarel, and Rotom uses Uproar again. I use Super Fang. I switch to Bidoof, and Rotom calms down. Rotom uses Confuse Ray on my Bidoof; I use Cut with Bidoof. Rotom is now in the low yellow health.

I switch to Noctowl. Rotom uses Uproar again! I use X-Accuracy, and Rotom continues its Uproar. I apply another X-Accuracy on my Noctowl, and Rotom uses Uproar once more, and it calms down. I throw a Luxury Ball at the shiny Rotom. It breaks out after two shakes! It uses Uproar again....next turn, I throw another Luxury Ball, and it breaks out! Its Uproar drones on...I throw a third Luxury Ball...ack! It breaks out and Uproar continues! I throw a fourth Luxury Ball, and it breaks out almost instantaneously. And Uproar once again...I wish it would calm down already!

Another Luxury Ball is hurled at the shiny Rotom, and it breaks out after only one shake. Of course, Rotom uses Uproar...and it calms down! Finally! This time, I use Hypnosis with Noctowl, and Rotom falls asleep. I throw a Timer Ball this time because I think it would go well with Rotom's electrical appliance theme. Rotom breaks out, and wakes up! Only two turns of sleep. It uses Confuse Ray on my Noctowl. Afraid of it uses Uproar again, I risk using Hypnosis while it is confused (after all, the only other possible thing that will happen will be a little HP taken away from my Noctowl). Yes! My Noctowl prevails and fires off another Hypnosis. I throw another Timer Ball and cross my fingers....

YESSS!!!! SHINY ROTOM WAS CAPTURED!!!! In a Timer Ball, no less. I bestow him with the nickname "Galvanimp" a portmanteau of the words "Galvanic" and "Imp".

The shiny Rotom appeared on the 1140th or 1139th soft reset. I say that because I don't the shiny Rotom on my Platinum appeared at about the same time the normal Rotom appeared on my Diamond version because I was soft resetting simultaneously on both. Separately, however, I did much less SRs on my Platinum because originally, I was SRing for Rotom on just my Diamond version.

Now to check its stats! I wonder if my Synchronizer worked...

It did work! Here's the info:

Timid nature - caught in a Timer Ball
July 15, 2009
Old Chateau
Met at Lv. 20
Often lost in thought
Likes sweet Food

Stats
HP - 52
Attack: 23
Defense: 39
SAtk: 47
SDef: 40
Speed: 49
Ability: Levitate

Moves: Thundershock, Confuse Ray, Uproar, and Double Team

Wow...I will post pictures of it shortly!

Edit: Here are the IVs

Timid #479 Rotom: 14 / 7 / 20 / 23 / 23 / 21 Hidden Power Ice 62

:o

I've never been so lucky in my life. 11 shinies in three months, sheesh! o_O

Next up on my games...I'll be SRing for Mesprit or Cresselia on Diamond, playing through Platinum (then Radaring for shiny Slowpoke, Bagon, Gligar, Houndour, and some other stuff), SRing for Regirock on Ruby, and SRing for Palkia on Pearl. Someone else please get a shiny!

*throws luck at random people*

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Feb 19, 2011
Well congrats on getting your lucky streak Fufu. Mine consisted of 13 shinies back in '06 and took 6 months. I didn't notice that you got a shiny Horsea until I got here. I'm kinda low on free time but I'll try to continue hatching Charmanders.

Razer302

Three Days Grace - Break
Years
Wow I have been gone for nearly 10 days and we only had 4 posts...

Anyway. I finally grabbed myself a shiny Giratina. I took my DS into school last week as we aren't doing work anymore and thought I would make the most of my time and ended up grabbing shiny Giratina during it.

Shadow Chaos

Has gone...
Years
  • Seen Aug 9, 2012
Good luck with your shiny Charmander, Shadow Chaos! You've been at it so long!

Spoiler:

*throws luck at random people*

Thanks, and congrats yet again. :3 *tries catching most of that luck*

Wow I have been gone for nearly 10 days and we only had 4 posts...

Anyway. I finally grabbed myself a shiny Giratina. I took my DS into school last week as we aren't doing work anymore and thought I would make the most of my time and ended up grabbing shiny Giratina during it.

Awesome, congrats on the 'Tina!! And awesome Ace set. :D

Masuda Eggs Hatched so far: 180. Should have some more by the end of the day, about 200+. But maybe it'll hatch before then.

It's Just Fufu

Nostalgia is powerful.
Years
Damn. It seems like this club is going through an activity slump. :(

Anyways, I think my shiny streak is drawing to a close. I'm okay with that, though, because I got lots of great shinies from it, and I couldn't be happier! I still have been hunting regularly, though, and I've started a couple of new hunts as well.

Ruby: Almost at 7750 encounters on Route 115.
FireRed2: SRing for another golden lizard. Shiny Charmander, you shall be mine! 872 SRs so far.
Palkia: Only 351 SRs for Palkia. Sad, I know, but I want the other two shinies more.

Also, on Diamond, I'm no longer SRing for Cresselia. Instead, I've prepped myself to begin breeding for a shiny Cyndaquil. Both of my parents have flawless Satk, SDef, and Speed, so there's a good chance that my hatched shiny Cyndaquil (if I ever get it) will have a decent Hidden Power. Furthermore, I'm not using the Masuda Method, so I'm gonna need heaps of luck to get this, lol. Oh well. That's how badly I want it!

Good luck, everyone!

Empty Pot

a new beginning...
Years
May I join?
I have

Mantine, Gyrados, Starly, Starvia, Staraptor (forgot Starvia's evo), and Charizard.

I am currently working to Giratina to SR it til shiny. Along with Azlef and Uxie.

Shadow Chaos

Has gone...
Years
  • Seen Aug 9, 2012
Damn. It seems like this club is going through an activity slump. :(

Anyways, I think my shiny streak is drawing to a close. I'm okay with that, though, because I got lots of great shinies from it, and I couldn't be happier! I still have been hunting regularly, though, and I've started a couple of new hunts as well.

Ruby: Almost at 7750 encounters on Route 115.
FireRed2: SRing for another golden lizard. Shiny Charmander, you shall be mine! 872 SRs so far.
Palkia: Only 351 SRs for Palkia. Sad, I know, but I want the other two shinies more.

Also, on Diamond, I'm no longer SRing for Cresselia. Instead, I've prepped myself to begin breeding for a shiny Cyndaquil. Both of my parents have flawless Satk, SDef, and Speed, so there's a good chance that my hatched shiny Cyndaquil (if I ever get it) will have a decent Hidden Power. Furthermore, I'm not using the Masuda Method, so I'm gonna need heaps of luck to get this, lol. Oh well. That's how badly I want it!

Good luck, everyone!

That it is. :( I bet Serebii's is a lot more active, no?
And you'll probably get it first than me. |D
Cool, good luck with that Cyndaquil as well (and all those other targets too). =D

May I join?
I have

Mantine, Gyrados, Starly, Starvia, Staraptor (forgot Starvia's evo), and Charizard.

I am currently working to Giratina to SR it til shiny. Along with Azlef and Uxie.

Till a co-owner comes by to welcome you officially, welcome, and have a good time here. ^_^

270 Eggs so far...

Razer302

Three Days Grace - Break
Years
After another week of inactivity due to my net just not wanting to work for me. I am back and hoping it will work again.

Nothing new from me. Have been busy with a few things recently.

I swear the Matsuda Method doesn't work. Tried it once with no results in 500 eggs so I dropped it and just stick with normal hatching.

It's Just Fufu

Nostalgia is powerful.
Years
Razer, 500 eggs isn't even 1/4th of the average amount of eggs one would expect to hatch using the Masuda Method...I think you gave up too easily. Besides, Junichi Masuda (is that his name?) himself confirmed that it was in the game.

Razer302

Three Days Grace - Break
Years
I might carry on with it. I just find hatching boring. I prefer looking for the random shinys, can get experience and Evs from them. Still I would like to finish off the method attempts.

Years
  • Seen Jul 24, 2013
Hi everyone, congrats to all the new shinies you have gotten while I was away.

I managed to get a few shinies myself. I hatched a shiny Totodile, got a shiny Porygon from SRing when I wasn't even hunting for a shiny, shiny Wailmer by fishing and I also managed to get myself a shiny Palkia in my "lucky" Platinum. Palkia took me a little over 5 weeks to appear, so I was really pleased that my synchronizer worked and it ended up Timid. I will post pictures of all of these shinies later when I get home to proper Internet(using a hotspot at the airport currently :p).

Since those shinies, I have been hunting for a shiny Heracross in LeafGreen. I am up to 6000 encounters so far, maybe more, but I haven't kept track :p. I hope to get a Heracross to appear before the end of the month, and hopefully beat my record for the most shinies this month.

It's Just Fufu

Nostalgia is powerful.
Years
We've had this discussion over at Serebii quite often as well. I made a post that sums up my views on RNG abuse as a shiny hunter, but it was deleted. Fortunately, I saved a copy of it on a word file. I saved it because it was so "long" that I feared that my computer would time-out if I tred to post it (or perhaps I'm just bombastic). Anyways, here it is.

Me said:
I don't think that people are "jealous" that they can't RNG abuse. I'm sure that kirk has the intelligence to look at the thread in Smogon about RNG abuse and learn how to do it to get all the shinies he wants. From my knowledge, those that are against RNG abuse are shiny hunters who value shinies for the dedication it takes to get them.

Aside from learning how to RNG abuse, (I cannot say I know how hard/easy it is to learn, I've never attempted to figure it out) I don't think it takes as much dedication to get a shiny through RNG abuse as it does to, say, soft reset, breed, or chain for a shiny. RNG abuse eliminates the effort (and, admittedly, the luck part as well, because you can get lucky with shinies) component of obtaining shinies.

What seems to be the issue is that the two opposing parties are trying to draw parallels between the two shinies. Other than the shinyness of RNG abused shinies and regular shinies, we are trying to assess and compare the values of each, which, in my opinion, really shouldn't be done at all. Views concerning RNG abuse differ from person to person.

What I'm trying to say is that the regular shiny hunters normally get shinies with poor natures and crappy IVs. On the other hand, RNG abused shinies can have awesome IVs, egg moves...anything and everything, really. But once you think about it, yes, they're Pokemon, but from an effort vs. reward (I really don't know how else to describe it) perspective, they're not the same. The shiny hunters hunt for shinies for the sake of having them, NOT for their competitive prowess. Those who RNG abuse probably want Pokemon to be as competitively viable as possible; thus, the shinyness of a Pokemon to them is nothing more than an extra option to make their pokemon "cooler" (after all, most people would rather look at a shiny than a normal Pokemon, aside from crap like Garchomp :))

As an aside, I really wish there was another name for the exploit besides "RNG Abuse". The name alone already carries a negative connotation with it, and I believe that this contributes to its stimga among people who hate or disapprove of RNG abuse.

Going back to the effort vs. reward argument, it seems to me like shiny hunters in general are indeed a bit angry...I mean, they normally put in high effort to get shinies that end up being relative crap. But then, RNG abuse comes along, and anybody who knows how to do it is rewardly heartily with perfect nature/IV'd shinies, despite the fact that the effort put into RNG abusing for one shiny is probably less than that put into obtaining a normal shiny. It's almost like the psychological maxim of the "Just World Fallacy"; we believe that good things happen to good people, and bad things happen to bad people. Similarly, shiny hunters think that their countless hours of searching should be rewarded with at least partially decent shinies, yet RNG abusers (who are "the bad" in their eyes, I would assume) get the best of the best. In their opinion, "the good" are stuck with...well, crap, for the most part.

However, that's where the problem lies; the world doesn't work like that. In the end, shiny hunters have to realize that they're playing with astronomical chances; like people say, if there are 8192 balls in a box and only ONE of those balls contains a shiny pokemon, the odds of getting the shiny are incredibly low (and to be even more realistic, there's no guarantee that ANY of those pokemon are shiny, this is probability after all). It's somewhat foolish for the shiny hunters to be mad that their shinies have bad natures/IVs because that's not what they're aiming for in the slightest sense; in my opinion, they should just be happy with their shinies.

Those that want Pokemon that are both shiny and competitively viable should just stick to a method that requires much less frustration, a method that consistently produces desirable results. Regular shiny hunting is not that method. RNG Abuse is.

Damn, this is a long-*** post, I didn't even mean for it to be like this. o_O Anyways, I guess for those that are thinking tl;dr and just scrolled to the bottom of my post, at least read this:

RNG Abused shinies and regular shinies are fundamentally different. RNG Abused shinies are desired for the fact that they can manipulated into nearly anything the player wants, which allows for an unparalleled amount of customization. On the other hand, the value of non-abused shinies stems from the blood, sweat, and tears that one often goes through to obtain his or her most sought-after prize. Their worth is directly equated to effort.

As such, the roles of RNG abused shinies and regular shinies are different and separate. Yes, technically, they're both shinies -- but their unique qualities, specific to both abused and non-abused shinies, are what make them coveted throughout the Pokemon community.

And for the record, I used to be against RNG abuse for shinies. Now, however, I do consider them to be legitimate shinies. They just don't have the same value to me as regularly obtained shinies. I am not against RNG Abuse anymore, either, but I doubt I'll ever have the patience or desire to learn how to do it, either.

Anyways, Fantomix, I feel compelled to ask you the same question. What are your views on RNG'd shinies, and furthermore, why did you bother to ask such a question if you were under the supposition that you would just be ridiculed if you posed said question towards us?

Evil Sonic

Fufufu, All according to plan.
Years
  • Seen Jun 5, 2023
I dislike RNGing it's so cheap.
--

Anyways I'm going to try for a shiny Abra on Leaf Green once I get enough coins

oske

>:D
Years
Can I join?

I've gotten into chaining Shiny Pokemon recently, I caught a Shiny Smeargle a few days ago and a Bidoof yesterday. Smeargle was at a chain of 6, Bidoof was at 40. I also have a random encounter Shiny from FR.

Years
  • Seen Jul 24, 2013
S5030809.jpg

Shiny Heracross appeared in LeafGreen :D, I am totally amazed that it appeared today. After literally spazzing out(because it was a male shiny Heracross and didn't take too long to appear) I took a video of me capturing it. I started chucking Ultra Balls at it, and managed to snag it in the 3rd one I threw.

It has a Modest nature, and I used only 290 regular repels out of the 2997 I had(this doesn't include the ones I used before I started counting the repels). I had only just started up my hunt again for Heracross about 30 minutes before this shiny appeared, pretty cool that it appeared shortly after I started.

More pictures:

Shiny Heracross, no cheat devices
Shiny Heracross, Modest nature
Stats
Shiny Heracross video

Congrats to new shinies guys :D.

Fantomix

^^^^^^^^^
Years
*snip*

Anyways, Fantomix, I feel compelled to ask you the same question. What are your views on RNG'd shinies, and furthermore, why did you bother to ask such a question if you were under the supposition that you would just be ridiculed if you posed said question towards us?
[/FONT]

Sorry for the late response, I'm at fault there (although this club does seem to be experiencing a slump in activity of late). My thoughts on RNG'd shinies? Well at first, I saw them as completely legitimate shinies - the amount of research and testing that went into 'perfecting' the technique certainly seemed to make up for the "cheapness" of the whole thing. Plus it offered a solution that seemed just as easy as chaining to capture shiny Pokemon that weren't available with the PokeRadar. But then I learnt that so many people were still soft resetting and hunting and whatnot for shinies, and I figured that evidently the best of the best at shiny hunting evidently viewed it as some form of cheating.

That's why I decided to soft reset for a shiny Giratina, but after what I recall was about 1000 resets, I honestly couldn't stand it anymore and thought I might turn to RNG abuse to finally get it. But, you know, there was still that niggling feeling that it might be the wrong thing to do. So I asked around my Pokefan friends, some said just to hack it and cut out the middle man, others said that RNG abuse was cheating. I figured I'd come here and check out your opinions.

I suppose I consider RNG shinies as cheating, but then again, it's more of an exploit really. So I'm torn - RNG abuse, save time and get an essentially legitimate shiny Giratina, or spend up to months pressing the same few buttons and earn it. I'm a bit confused on what to do, but your post sort of straightened it out a bit more. It's just, I think that in the future I might wish to join a club such as this, and then I might feel as though I didn't really put in the effort I should have to get Giratina, so it's difficult to say.

As for why I posted here with the possibility of ridicule and whatnot; well, if I got a "No you noob, RNG abuse is cheating and we don't do it and it's evil and hax blahblahblah" then I'd at least have known the general stance of dedicated shiny hunters on the subject, kindly delivered or otherwise.

Would you look at that, a wall of text! Heh.

templekeeper

Remember: you're a member!
Years
  • Seen Apr 3, 2010
RNG abuse is no more cheating, rather, gamebreaking, than using an IV calculator or using the damage formula in your head. I'm not going to write several paragraphs (maybe three) on this inane discussion because that sentence sums it up, but anyone who argues against it is playing the wrong game. They should go back to GSC before Emerald's "random" numbers. I have many young cousins and neighbors who all come to me with pokemon help, and they all struggle with battling because they don't have a type chart sitting in their head. I land supper-effectives whenever possible, and they all wonder how I do it. I know how to calculate damage. That is no different than if you have insight as to when a shiny will appear. It's an edge.

In all honesty, if someone is against RNG abuse, then they can not abuse it. It's not anyone'e sright to judge another's use of the game. The point of a game is to have fun. If one person has fun by pokesavijng everything while another doesn't even bother to learn how EVs work, then let them. They're both enjoying their game.

I was against RNG abuse a few months ago because the trading community was hit hard with IV-bred, nonchainable shinies, but it's inevitable. We've moved on into a new time in pokemon from where shinies were "rare and valuable". Now they're...I don't have a good word right now. "Luxurious"?

EDIT: oh yeah, I'll be chaining several different targets today...Magmar amongst them-

Last edited:
Back