• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Official Hack Checking Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
Years
"You can never REALLY tell if something is a hack" has literally been said since the dawn of Pokemon. Of course we can't, and to some that warrants not even trying. For the rest of us, who have been in Pokemon for so long and KNOW things can be gotten legitly, it encourages us even more to check for hacks. There are plenty of people who don't care, so someone has to do it.

Anyway, real question. I'm getting "Can't have ball for encounter type" errors on some Pokemon and I'm a bit confused. One of them I'm getting this on is a Nidoqueen in a Safari Ball, but it's from FR and Lv. 31, which matches up for the info for Nidorina in the game (then was just evolved with Moon Stone). Getting the same error for a Magnemite from SS, Lv. 16 which matches the level for Route 38/39 and is in a Luxury Ball which I'm pretty sure you can buy in those games. (Magnemite also has "Encounter type PID Mismatch" which I heard happens on 4th Gen Shinies, but is it ALL 4th Gen Shinies? Soaps told me to ignore it but I wanted to check.)

I have other questions but will save those for later as I keep checking. @w@

Are these Pokemon that you caught yourself? It's possible that someone could have entered the wrong encounter type for the Nidorina, and it's also possibly a false flag. Pokecheck wasn't perfect either, especially when it came to trash bytes.

Last edited:

Haileo

Fluttershy is mai waifu
Years
"You can never REALLY tell if something is a hack" has literally been said since the dawn of Pokemon. Of course we can't, and to some that warrants not even trying. For the rest of us, who have been in Pokemon for so long and KNOW things can be gotten legitly, it encourages us even more to check for hacks. There are plenty of people who don't care, so someone has to do it.

Anyway, real question. I'm getting "Can't have ball for encounter type" errors on some Pokemon and I'm a bit confused. One of them I'm getting this on is a Nidoqueen in a Safari Ball, but it's from FR and Lv. 31, which matches up for the info for Nidorina in the game (then was just evolved with Moon Stone). Getting the same error for a Magnemite from SS, Lv. 16 which matches the level for Route 38/39 and is in a Luxury Ball which I'm pretty sure you can buy in those games. (Magnemite also has "Encounter type PID Mismatch" which I heard happens on 4th Gen Shinies, but is it ALL 4th Gen Shinies? Soaps told me to ignore it but I wanted to check.)

I have other questions but will save those for later as I keep checking. @w@

It's a good thing 99% of hackers/genners have no idea what they're doing which makes it quite easy to spot hacks if you've done your research. The philosophy I go by is "legit until proven hacked."

"Can't have ball for encounter type" deals with hex values.

https://projectpokemon.org/wiki/Pokemon_Save_Structure#Encounter_Types

Those are the possible encounter types, but what I believe you're talking about is 86h in this link:

https://projectpokemon.org/home/forums/topic/196-~guide-to-44h-45h-46h-47h-and-85h-values~/

As far as I know, this is a false error flag, so you don't have to worry about it anyway. And I'm not 100% certain on this, but it makes sense. Any Pokemon Pal Parked into an HGSS game (as opposed to DPPt) will obtain a value in 86h that is determined by what Poke Ball it's in. Encounter type is located in 85h. What I believe is happening, is PKHeX is reading wrong values or misplacing 85h into 86h or something. Something like, it's not reading the encounter type so it thinks the ball value is the encounter type. I'm not sure about this. But don't worry about it.

"Encounter type PID mismatch" deals with the PID algorithm PKHeX is reading on that Pokemon. There are ways to look at what it's reading, but it's hard to do, and not something an average person knows. Usually, this means it's reading a different PID than what it's expecting (ie. Shiny Magnemite caught in the wild in 4th gen should read Common NDS A-B-C-D, but instead it's reading Chain Shiny). That's what happened to a Shiny Banette I caught in Platinum. I haven't seen that error anymore, so I guess it's fixed. Most of the time, PID mismatch means it's hacked, but I can't know for sure until I see what PID type it's reading. No, not all 4th gen shinies have this error.

Hope that helps :)

Road

beyond salvation
Years
Are these Pokemon that you caught yourself? It's possible that someone could have entered the wrong encounter type for the Nidorina, and it's also possibly a false flag. Pokecheck wasn't perfect either, especially when it came to trash bytes.
They are not, they're from old trades possibly as far back as 4th Gen. Not particularly attached to them, just don't want to toss stuff if it's just an error.
It's a good thing 99% of hackers/genners have no idea what they're doing which makes it quite easy to spot hacks if you've done your research. The philosophy I go by is "legit until proven hacked."

"Can't have ball for encounter type" deals with hex values.

https://projectpokemon.org/wiki/Pokemon_Save_Structure#Encounter_Types

Those are the possible encounter types, but what I believe you're talking about is 86h in this link:

https://projectpokemon.org/home/forums/topic/196-~guide-to-44h-45h-46h-47h-and-85h-values~/

As far as I know, this is a false error flag, so you don't have to worry about it anyway. And I'm not 100% certain on this, but it makes sense. Any Pokemon Pal Parked into an HGSS game (as opposed to DPPt) will obtain a value in 86h that is determined by what Poke Ball it's in. Encounter type is located in 85h. What I believe is happening, is PKHeX is reading wrong values or misplacing 85h into 86h or something. Something like, it's not reading the encounter type so it thinks the ball value is the encounter type. I'm not sure about this. But don't worry about it.

"Encounter type PID mismatch" deals with the PID algorithm PKHeX is reading on that Pokemon. There are ways to look at what it's reading, but it's hard to do, and not something an average person knows. Usually, this means it's reading a different PID than what it's expecting (ie. Shiny Magnemite caught in the wild in 4th gen should read Common NDS A-B-C-D, but instead it's reading Chain Shiny). That's what happened to a Shiny Banette I caught in Platinum. I haven't seen that error anymore, so I guess it's fixed. Most of the time, PID mismatch means it's hacked, but I can't know for sure until I see what PID type it's reading. No, not all 4th gen shinies have this error.

Hope that helps :)
Okay, so the ball error I can ignore if it's stuff that's been Pal Parked. (Course if I see it again I'll make sure the ball makes sense based on where it can be caught in the origin game.)

Mmk, that basically matches up with what I've been told. I think I heard that Chained Shinies make that error pop up, which is why I think Magnemite is okay (catchable in grass so probably chained). I'm seeing it on Trophy Garden Pokemon which I got from the source back in the day, and he told me he chained them so it also makes sense there. Anything else I'll make sure to blacklist.

Very helpful indeed! Should be all for now, once I start going through Events I'll have different questions but not quite there yet.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jan 24, 2022
got this one a while back through random trade
It looks legit but I'm afraid it's been altered however I'm not sure how to tell if it's not obvious like more than max stats and such.

Jirachi - nrml Pokéball
OT: WISHMKR
ID: 20043
Ability: Serene Grace
Nature: Jolly
Seems to have traveled across both space and time to reach you from the hoenn region.
Characteristic: Mischievous
No special ribbon (just a kalos champion, that's from me XD)
Stats:
HP: 343
ATK: 299
DEF: 267
SP.ATK: 212
SP.DEF: 267
SPEED: 328
Moves:
-drain punch
-ice punch
-thunder punch
-fire punch

MechaMoth

Eloquent Speaker
Years
no idea how to do that O.O
Except from the name, I'm not really familiar with Pokehex

Hey there. I would be happy to check your Wishmkr on PKHeX. If it does turn out hacked, know that hacks are not allowed on the site, but I'll trade it back to you no matter the condition so you can decide what to do with it. I should be home from work in about an hour.

Years
  • Seen Aug 21, 2020
Just got a few DBHA pokes and would really appreciate if someone were able to check them via PKHeX!

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Sep 28, 2017
Hey all, just got a Shiny Barbaracle lvl 100 (WITH POKERUS) from Wonder Trade and I was curious as to whether or not it was hacked...

HP: 285
Attack: 309
Defense: 267
Speed: 258
Sp. Def: 208
Sp. Atk: 129

Moves:
Shell Smash
Razor Shell
Substitute
Earthquake

Ability: Tough Claws
Egg recieved: 6/10/2017
Egg Hatched: Apparently 6/10/2017
Where: Paniola Ranch
Characteristic: Capable of taking hits

It was caught in a Dusk Ball.

Spyro

[title=Free 6iv Dittos!][url=https://www.reddit.co
Years
  • Seen Oct 5, 2018
Hey all, just got a Shiny Barbaracle lvl 100 (WITH POKERUS) from Wonder Trade and I was curious as to whether or not it was hacked...

Moves:
Shell Smash
Razor Shell
Substitute
Earthquake

Can you also list the OT and ID please? :)

Haileo

Fluttershy is mai waifu
Years

Moves:
Shell Smash
Razor Shell
Substitute
Earthquake

Due to the shininess, level, and Pokerus, I would easily say that's hacked. Let me check the IVs now...

Perfect IVs and 252 Atk / 252 Speed / 4 Def.

Yep, hacked.

Road

beyond salvation
Years
New update for PKHeX was just released. Summary said something was added for PCNY events, and as such, the following in my lists have been flagged with "Encounter Type PID mismatch":

Spoiler:

Was told these were legit originally so I'm wondering who's wrong here.

Haileo

Fluttershy is mai waifu
Years
New update for PKHeX was just released. Summary said something was added for PCNY events, and as such, the following in my lists have been flagged with "Encounter Type PID mismatch":

Spoiler:

Was told these were legit originally so I'm wondering who's wrong here.

Was this the Sep 22 update?

I checked all the legit PCNY I had when it updated, and the update looks really buggy. All the ones you listed have been proven as legit. Encounter Type PID Mismatch means it's expecting a different PID algorithm, but all these PCNY have the same PID type as far as I'm aware. The unflagged ones show up as Unknown GBA Type, but these PID Mismatch ones also show up as Unknown GBA Type. Then I have a couple of others that have PID Mismatch, but show up as Common GBA Event [Restricted].

For the most part, PCNYs have impossible PID algorithms that not many people have figured out. I talked to Sabresite a few weeks ago and he told me two major bombshells:
1. Every PCNYa is hacked.
2. PCNYs can have IDs over 01000 because there wasn't a limit. He said 00001 - 65535, but what I'm pretty sure he means is "The IDs can go up numerically up until the point of the last one obtained." I saw on Reddit someone offering their personally obtained 01068 PCNYd Pikachu, etc. Meaning the max was like 01500, but there wasn't a limit so theoretically, there could be more, but in practice there wasn't.

The problem is, I'm not sure how much to believe Sabresite because especially the first one is unbelievable. Second one could be believable, but the way he wrote it, saying that there could be a 65535 PCNY, is unbelievable.

Road

beyond salvation
Years
Was this the Sep 22 update?

I checked all the legit PCNY I had when it updated, and the update looks really buggy. All the ones you listed have been proven as legit. Encounter Type PID Mismatch means it's expecting a different PID algorithm, but all these PCNY have the same PID type as far as I'm aware. The unflagged ones show up as Unknown GBA Type, but these PID Mismatch ones also show up as Unknown GBA Type. Then I have a couple of others that have PID Mismatch, but show up as Common GBA Event [Restricted].

For the most part, PCNYs have impossible PID algorithms that not many people have figured out. I talked to Sabresite a few weeks ago and he told me two major bombshells:
1. Every PCNYa is hacked.
2. PCNYs can have IDs over 01000 because there wasn't a limit. He said 00001 - 65535, but what I'm pretty sure he means is "The IDs can go up numerically up until the point of the last one obtained." I saw on Reddit someone offering their personally obtained 01068 PCNYd Pikachu, etc. Meaning the max was like 01500, but there wasn't a limit so theoretically, there could be more, but in practice there wasn't.

The problem is, I'm not sure how much to believe Sabresite because especially the first one is unbelievable. Second one could be believable, but the way he wrote it, saying that there could be a 65535 PCNY, is unbelievable.
Yes that update. What a nightmare. So I guess I'll ignore the flags on these, and if something else comes up hopefully one of you guys will let us know.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jul 11, 2018
Hoenn Cap Pikachu Lv.100, Ability. Static
OT: ???
ID No. 021121
Hp.212, Att. 153, Df. 151, Sp.A 144, Sp.D 149, S.222
Moves : Thunderbolt, Volt Tackle, Thunder, Iron Tail
Nature : Hardy

Date Met: 5/2/2017
Where: 2017 Pokemon Movie
Level Met: 6
Note: Apparently a fateful encounter
Characteristic : Mischievous

It seems legit but my main concern is that it does not have the wishing badge

Spyro

[title=Free 6iv Dittos!][url=https://www.reddit.co
Years
  • Seen Oct 5, 2018
Hoenn Cap Pikachu Lv.100, Ability. Static
OT: ???
ID No. 021121
Hp.212, Att. 153, Df. 151, Sp.A 144, Sp.D 149, S.222
Moves : Thunderbolt, Volt Tackle, Thunder, Iron Tail
Nature : Hardy

Date Met: 5/2/2017
Where: 2017 Pokemon Movie
Level Met: 6
Note: Apparently a fateful encounter
Characteristic : Mischievous

It seems legit but my main concern is that it does not have the wishing badge
It is hacked, since it doesn't have the Ribbon

Road

beyond salvation
Years
MechaMoth and I noticed this about some Shinies and were wondering if we can get some answers.

First, this Shiny Shaymin.
Spoiler:

I'm concerned that the Encounter drop down appears but nothing is listed there. MechaMoth says he has a different Shiny Shaymin and the Encounter drop down isn't there at all. Note that this is checked as legal.

Second, Shiny Darkrai.
Spoiler:

As you can see the OT is Mat, which I heard was a reputable RNGer in 4th. My concern comes from the fact that this comes from Plat, but has no FE and Encounter drop down as "Tall Grass." (This is what I would expect for a DP Darkrai, but obviously the Plat origin causes issues.) Again checked as legal.

Mostly posting to see if Haileo can shed light on it, but anyone else that knows about this feel free to chime in!

Last edited:

Haileo

Fluttershy is mai waifu
Years
First, this Shiny Shaymin.
Spoiler:

I'm concerned that the Encounter drop down appears but nothing is listed there. MechaMoth says he has a different Shiny Shaymin and the Encounter drop down isn't there at all. Note that this is checked as legal.

The encounter dropdown refers to 85h here:

It should correctly say None in the box, and the dropdown doesn't appear on a gen 7 save. So everything is good there :)

Also on the same link, you could see that Darkrai is also combined with Tall Grass in value 02 on 85h. Darkrai was a weird one, it never came with a fateful encounter flag on both DP or Platinum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back