• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Jul 31, 2012
In fire red is it possible to have separate maps like the ones for the sevii islands, i'd like to make actual Regions if possible

Years
  • Seen Apr 8, 2014
Please tell me, how I can find script with some string? There is no such function in XSE.

tajaros

Hi I'm dawg
Years
In fire red is it possible to have separate maps like the ones for the sevii islands, i'd like to make actual Regions if possible

Yes, You can just sprite a new map and insert that on UNLZ and repoint the map offsets and that's it!

But I don't know anything about repointing map offsets yet.... :(

Please tell me, how I can find script with some string? There is no such function in XSE.

What do you mean it doesn't have in XSE?

By string do you mean offset?

You can just decompile the offset you wanted in the upper portion of XSE, or maybe open you ROM using A-map and find your offset there and open it with XSE and that's it! :)

Years
  • Seen Apr 8, 2014

You can just decompile the offset you wanted in the upper portion of XSE, or maybe open you ROM using A-map and find your offset there and open it with XSE and that's it! :)

Yes, but if I want to look at a script that uses a string of pokedex or from any menu, I can't find this in AMap.

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
Yes, but if I want to look at a script that uses a string of pokedex or from any menu, I can't find this in AMap.

These strings aren't in scripts, they are stored in the ROM and directly referenced by the ASM when required.

In order to find and modify them - you should use Advance-Text to search for the string (but remember that a lot of the dex strings have buffers for the species name and such) and then modify by changing the text using hex, and/or inserting a string using XSE and repointing the old string.

If you mean the dex entries themselves, there are editors which allow for the editing of them.

Aquamentis

Touhoumon Master
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 22, 2016
I am planning on editing the amount of trainers in the Sevii Islands in FireRed using A-Trainer, increasing their amount to match something similar to Kanto's trainer size. I already have confirmed that I have the required free space to hold the vast increase, but I would like some confirmation if this is a safe idea.

There are a lot of blank spaces that do not appear to have any usage in the main game, and often are using only level 5-pokemon for their list. I would like to know if it is safe to use these slots in A-trainer for the new trainers, since I would not be repointing the trainer table itself, just the trainers data.
Spoiler:

*Edited to show what I mean by blank spaces (starting with the 004 trainer)

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jul 22, 2012
Well, if you think about it, you'll be replacing tiles one by one no matter what you do. If you want, just clear out the entire Tileset, and begin from scratch that way. You don't have to use the existing Tileset as a template either. You can also make the amount of tiles you can use larger in A-Map 1.95.
Is there anyway just to upload a whole new one if I created one in Photoshop?

redriders180

Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
Years
Is there anyway just to upload a whole new one if I created one in Photoshop?

First, you need to index it to sixteen colors. Edit one of the palettes between number 7 and 12 (6 and 12 if Ruby) to match those sixteen colors exactly. Export the tileset, copy the custom tileset on top, and import the tileset back in. Then you have to make all your tiles in the normal way. That's pretty much the only way to do it.

Years
  • Seen Dec 18, 2020
DrawTile8@LZ77 keeps popping up when I open Advance Trainer.

I read to just click 'Ignore' but all I get is Retry Cancel and Close. Retry/cancel keep bringing up the the error and close obviously closes the tool.
Any suggestions?(Using Windows 7 if that's relevant at all)

redriders180

Years
DrawTile8@LZ77 keeps popping up when I open Advance Trainer.

I read to just click 'Ignore' but all I get is Retry Cancel and Close. Retry/cancel keep bringing up the the error and close obviously closes the tool.
Any suggestions?(Using Windows 7 if that's relevant at all)

Judging from the error message, it seems to be a problemm with LZ77...basically, sprites are messed up. Have you replaced any sprites?

Years
  • Seen Jan 8, 2017
Hey guys, I've been hacking ROMs for not too long now, and I'm still learning about it, and I'm using the tutorials and everything to try and teach it to myself, and I was wondering if anyone who's really good at hacking has ever thought to create a quiz of some kind for those who are new to hacking. Because like I said, I am and as I've been learning I keep thinking that having something to test my knowledge before putting it into use would be very helpful.

FrozenInfernoZX

What is out there?
Years
Does anybody know why the tiles that contain water tiles keep appearing like that? I am following MikeMatt15 tutorial where I assign those tiles those colors, but it does not appear as its normal palettes like the others in game.
I'm new to rom hacking.

Just reposting this. The attachment is in the other post.
I have another question. Is it possible to reorder the Pokedex? I remember somewhere that some things needs to be repointed, but I'm not entirely sure?

redriders180

Years
Just reposting this. The attachment is in the other post.
I have another question. Is it possible to reorder the Pokedex? I remember somewhere that some things needs to be repointed, but I'm not entirely sure?

I have more experience in regards to your Pokedex question...it's quite a hassle, actually. There's a program called "Sebbe's Pokedex Editor 2008" that has the easiest interface, but the names are preprogrammed...basically, if you changed the names of something, it doesn't show up in this program. There's another program, the name of which escapes me, that has a less-than-optimal interface, but it'll display names that have been changed.

ADDITIONALLY, some other things need to be edited. When you change the order with these programs, it just changes the order of the names. Pokedex data, such as entries, height, weight, and species name DO NOT GET CHANGED. Meaning, if you moved Quilava to slot one on the dex, it would display Bulbasaur's dex entry, and it would be called the SEED Pokemon. Take this into account if you decide to edit...I ended up changing the order of pretty much everything in the Dex, and now I have to restore all the Dex stuff.

Years
  • Seen Mar 2, 2017
Well, I posted this as a thread a bit ago, but I suppose that my question is more than simple but apparently not a full thread worthy. Either way, I have had quite a few problems with making a new custom world map, and the 3 or 4 tutorials I have followed have all resulted in some type of error. I was wondering if anyone was successful with replacing the world map because it has just given me a headache!!! Here is an example of what is happening, and the other problem is that my sevii islands are being messed up. Thanks for the help :)

Problems with the side changer and close buttons:
Untitled.png

Sevii Islands with the green background:
Untitled1.png

Hey guys, I've been hacking ROMs for not too long now, and I'm still learning about it, and I'm using the tutorials and everything to try and teach it to myself, and I was wondering if anyone who's really good at hacking has ever thought to create a quiz of some kind for those who are new to hacking. Because like I said, I am and as I've been learning I keep thinking that having something to test my knowledge before putting it into use would be very helpful.
That is a great idea come to think about it. I know very little but I have done a bit of hex and do understand the concepts. There are quite a few who don't even know what hex is and use only tools!

Does anybody know why the tiles that contain water tiles keep appearing like that? I am following MikeMatt15 tutorial where I assign those tiles those colors, but it does not appear as its normal palettes like the others in game.
Make sure that you change the tileset palette numbers in NTME when you are making the tileset. You are lucky that yours looks like it is basically working - mine is not :(

So, I'm making maps and test them out in the game, and click the world map. However, instead of saying that I was on Four Island, where I was, it told me I was in the Tanoby Ruins. It would also explain why there's a picture of them every time I enter a map of the sort. I don't exactly know when this happened. Could someone help?

For this, you will need to edit the map in Advance Map. I am assuming that you chose to edit the names of one of the Ruins to be your own? This is what I did to get 6/7 new spots in the game rather simply. Just open the world map editor and then make sure to change the location. I also found that the game will only update your location on the world map when you are outside (not in a cave). Good luck!

Last edited:

redriders180

Years
Well, I posted this as a thread a bit ago, but I suppose that my question is more than simple but apparently not a full thread worthy. Either way, I have had quite a few problems with making a new custom world map, and the 3 or 4 tutorials I have followed have all resulted in some type of error. I was wondering if anyone was successful with replacing the world map because it has just given me a headache!!! Here is an example of what is happening, and the other problem is that my sevii islands are being messed up. Thanks for the help :)

Problems with the side changer and close buttons:
Untitled.png

Sevii Islands with the green background:
Untitled1.png

It looks like, for the most part, everything is working. I've been able to change the World Map for my games...kinda. NTME seems to be somewhat glitchy, because there is always six or seven tiles at the bottom right corner that seem to stay transparent not matter what. In a more extreme case, it's ended up looking like this:

Although I don't have a clue what causes it :\

Anyway, your world map itself looks great, except for that white square. But in regards to your second question...have you changed the TILES of the World Map? Since the layout of the map is still exactly in the same shape as the original islands, I'm inclined to say that it's incredibly unlikely a glitched map would have the same shape as the original. Kanto and the Sevii Islands all use the exact same world map tiles, so if you change one, you change them all. Although, it looks like you used the same tiles...

+N30N_J3ST3R+

Pokemon Black Chasm Director
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jul 17, 2012
Im having some trouble uploading new tiles to tilesets and if someone isnt to busy they could walk me through the processes.

Years
  • Seen Dec 18, 2020
Judging from the error message, it seems to be a problemm with LZ77...basically, sprites are messed up. Have you replaced any sprites?

I have, but I tried opening my back up before I added the sprite, and the base untouched Fire red rom I have and I still get the same message.

Renegade

Time for real life...
Years
Hello, I have a question. How would I go about adding 4th gen Pokemon to a Fire Red hack? I know it might be to much to explain, but I could not find a tutorial for it. Can someone please link me a tutorial? If not, how would I go about doing this?

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
Hello, I have a question. How would I go about adding 4th gen Pokemon to a Fire Red hack? I know it might be to much to explain, but I could not find a tutorial for it. Can someone please link me a tutorial? If not, how would I go about doing this?

You don't. You can replace existing Pokémon, but you can't add new ones. Well, not without a lot of effort, hex editing and ASM hacking. Sorry.

redriders180

Years

As for not being able to find a tutorial...I found four tutorials on the first page of the tutorial page alone. Try this, this, this, or this one :)

Edit: The above tutorials are for replacing the 25 ?????????? sprites, or even other Pokemon. Not for adding additional ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back