• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 10, 2024
Hmm, it seems that no matter what map I use, giving any map the tilesets of 14(1), 45(2), and dimensions of 17 width and 9 height will always make that map crash. It isn't just May's house, it seems anything I try it with crashes.

That is strange... But any other dimension works fine? Just make the width one more and see what happens, as then you can just leave the extra space blank, but it shouldn't be happening anyway...

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
Years
That is strange... But any other dimension works fine? Just make the width one more and see what happens, as then you can just leave the extra space blank, but it shouldn't be happening anyway...

Good point. I tested that tileset on a large map that I no longer use, and began to shrink it. It still worked with a dimension of 20 width and 10 height. Then it crashed when I tried to give it 17 width and 9 height. So I can still have a bigger map. As long as it looks the same, there won't be a difference. I'm just curious as to why that specific tileset crashes on certain dimensions. It's not even a size issue, it still works with larger dimensions! Anyone else tried this?

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 10, 2024
Good point. I tested that tileset on a large map that I no longer use, and began to shrink it. It still worked with a dimension of 20 width and 10 height. Then it crashed when I tried to give it 17 width and 9 height. So I can still have a bigger map. As long as it looks the same, there won't be a difference. I'm just curious as to why that specific tileset crashes on certain dimensions. It's not even a size issue, it still works with larger dimensions! Anyone else tried this?

All the ROM's I used I remember never crashed for May's Room and the like at the default dimension (assuming by default it is 17x9), so it could be the ROM I guess, or something you did. Though, it is strange...

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
Years
Actually, May's house has a default dimension of 11 width, 9 height. I expanded the room just as I had Brandan's then gave it the tileset of 14 and 45. Brendan's room didn't crash at expanding it, but then again I kept it's tileset of 14, 40. Like I said, I've tested this on different maps, so it seems the problem lies with the tileset, not the specific map.

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 10, 2024
Actually, May's house has a default dimension of 11 width, 9 height. I expanded the room just as I had Brandan's then gave it the tileset of 14 and 45. Brendan's room didn't crash at expanding it, but then again I kept it's tileset of 14, 40. Like I said, I've tested this on different maps, so it seems the problem lies with the tileset, not the specific map.

Interesting,I will try it on one of my ROM's and report back and see if it crashes.

EDIT: That is so interesting, I see exactly what you mean. I think the only course is to make the dimensions bigger and fill with blank space.

Last edited:

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
Interesting,I will try it on one of my ROM's and report back and see if it crashes.

EDIT: That is so interesting, I see exactly what you mean. I think the only course is to make the dimensions bigger and fill with blank space.

I have run into these problems before with maps expanding and then crashing. Just take the map and insert it into another slot and change all of the warps. It should work then.

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
Years
I have run into these problems before with maps expanding and then crashing. Just take the map and insert it into another slot and change all of the warps. It should work then.

That's the weird part though. The problem isn't in just that map, it's in any of them. It isn't even about expanding, since the maps can work with bigger dimensions. As Banjora Marxvile pointed out, the unneeded space can be filled with the same tiles as the border, and it won't look any different. Thanks to that, it's not causing any problems. But it's certainly strange that it crashes with only certain dimensions, yet won't have a problem with bigger ones so the problem lies with that tileset, not expanding.

Years
  • Seen Jun 18, 2020
Hello ^^ (I'm French and I'm only fifteen, so I'm sorry about my bad English ! :s)

I've got two questions.

First, is it possible to activate an ASM script just pressing a button (without use a XSE script) ?

And then, is it possible, with ASM, to appear pictures on the screen, such as our first Pokémon's sprite ?

Thanks a lot :)

Mickey`

karatekid552

Years
That's the weird part though. The problem isn't in just that map, it's in any of them. It isn't even about expanding, since the maps can work with bigger dimensions. As Banjora Marxvile pointed out, the unneeded space can be filled with the same tiles as the border, and it won't look any different. Thanks to that, it's not causing any problems. But it's certainly strange that it crashes with only certain dimensions, yet won't have a problem with bigger ones so the problem lies with that tileset, not expanding.

Hmmmm, I really don't have anything to say.

Hello ^^ (I'm French and I'm only fifteen, so I'm sorry about my bad English ! :s)

I've got two questions.

First, is it possible to activate an ASM script just pressing a button (without use a XSE script) ?

And then, is it possible, with ASM, to appear pictures on the screen, such as our first Pokémon's sprite ?

Mickey`

1) I believe that JPAN's engine allows the running of a script based upon the press of a button, so it could run a script that just says, "callasm 0x[routine+1]".

2) You don't need ASM, there are scripting commands for that. Something like showpokepic and hidepokepic.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jun 15, 2013
I'm having some trouble in Advanced Pallet Editor (APE). I've been following Khaos Knight's tutorial on how to hack the emerald title screen, and everything was going smooth up until it was time to change the pallet. When I import my pallet, it says "Invalid Pallet" or something along those lines. When I try again it appears to load the pallet but says "Runtime Error 13" and then crashes. Any adive?

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 10, 2024
lol yes... it will always do that for a .pal

when you get the error message you should notice the palette is loaded in the boxes (below the error message)

simply screenshot that, or write down the values for each color.

then reopen the APE and manually type in each Value...

yes, time consuming and annoying... but it works.

shinyabsol1

Pokemon DarkJasper!?
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2022
LocksmithArmy said:
lol yes... it will always do that for a .pal

when you get the error message you should notice the palette is loaded in the boxes (below the error message)

simply screenshot that, or write down the values for each color.

then reopen the APE and manually type in each Value...

yes, time consuming and annoying... but it works.

Not if the .pal is 256 colors. You can index your image down to 16 colors, then increase the color depth to 256 and export. Then when you import the palette in APE it will load correctly. No need to do any manual copying :)

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 24, 2023
Hey guys! I tried putting the offsets I found here at the FontGFX and Font Width Part of the Pokeroms.ini of Fonted but it gives me "Run-time error '380': Invalid property value". Any idea on how to fix this?

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
Hey guys! I tried putting the offsets I found here at the FontGFX and Font Width Part of the Pokeroms.ini of Fonted but it gives me "Run-time error '380': Invalid property value". Any idea on how to fix this?
Well, there could be many reasons behind the error. But, it sounds like this is just a typical error behind the program not recognizing a value due to the format it's being written at.

If you're using hexadecimal numbers to mark the addresses, the prefix of the values could for example be one of these: "$", "0x", "x", or, the value might not need a prefix at all. It all depends on how the programmer of the tool wanted to create it. Also, the ini-file might also not be able to deal with hexadecimal at all, and you'd have to convert the values into decimal first to be able to load data at those addresses (or the other way around).

On the other hand, by what I picked up from diego's thread there, editing the font can be achieved really easily just by using Tile Molester (although it may not sound like that because you can't see images of the process there), so you don't really even need this additional font editing tool for the job.

Pretty much everytime the graphics aren't compressed (just like you can compress data inside zip-archives, graphics data can also be compressed inside the rom with a certain compression routine, to make the images/sprites fit in smaller space), you can edit them with a tile layer editor, like Tile Molester, without having an additional program "making the job easier".

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 24, 2023
Well, there could be many reasons behind the error. But, it sounds like this is just a typical error behind the program not recognizing a value due to the format it's being written at.

If you're using hexadecimal numbers to mark the addresses, the prefix of the values could for example be one of these: "$", "0x", "x", or, the value might not need a prefix at all. It all depends on how the programmer of the tool wanted to create it. Also, the ini-file might also not be able to deal with hexadecimal at all, and you'll have to convert the values into decimal first to be able to load data at those addresses.

On the other hand, by what I picked up from diego's thread there, editing the font can be achieved really easily just by using Tile Molester (although it may not sound like that because you can't see images of the process there), so you don't really even need this additional font editing tool for the job.

Well, about the tool not recognizing the offsets written in the ini, if you put the offset of the FontGFX alone, it will give you "ROM supported but Fontwidths not specified." But once you put in the Fontwidths offset, it will have the "Run-time error". But thanks for helping, its just that it can be a pain in the neck manually going to the offset, export image, edit with paint, import, save, go to another offset etc. But never mind, I'll do it the hard way.

Years
  • Seen Jun 18, 2020
karatekid552 said:
Mickey` said:

I've got two questions.

Mickey`

1) I believe that JPAN's engine allows the running of a script based upon the press of a button, so it could run a script that just says, "callasm 0x[routine+1]".

2) You don't need ASM, there are scripting commands for that. Something like showpokepic and hidepokepic.

1) I know it, but I'm French, so I use French ROMs... and JPAN's engine works only on US ROMs.

2) After I posted my message, I thought to this ; I know the showpokepic and hidepokepic commands, but I don't want to use them. I want to appear only the sprite, not the white background...

karatekid552

Years
1) I know it, but I'm French, so I use French ROMs... and JPAN's engine works only on US ROMs.

2) After I posted my message, I thought to this ; I know the showpokepic and hidepokepic commands, but I don't want to use them. I want to appear only the sprite, not the white background...

1) Hmmmm, we could try porting his hack, he does provide all of the source code. That would be the best and easiest way.

2) In Ruby there is a command called hidebox which removes the white background. This command does not work on FR, but I think that the routine could possibly be repaired/restored.

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
Well, about the tool not recognizing the offsets written in the ini, if you put the offset of the FontGFX alone, it will give you "ROM supported but Fontwidths not specified." But once you put in the Fontwidths offset, it will have the "Run-time error".
Yeah well, if there is no example around "how it should be done", you could just leave trying there. Sounds like you've tried many different ways of approaching the task anyways.

But thanks for helping, its just that it can be a pain in the neck manually going to the offset, export image, edit with paint, import, save, go to another offset etc. But never mind, I'll do it the hard way.
You can still export and import without a problem, unlike others ;)
Tile Molester could be a better tool than TLP which I've been using, with no good reason really.
But at least when it comes to editing 2BPP palettes ("normal Gameboy palette") with it, you can't tell it to import palettes "right", and eventually, have to re-tile the image with the program later on. So it's even simplier to just edit the uncompressed image with TLP without exporting or importing anything.

I could totally try out Tile Molester for this matter. Just, have never felt like downloading it.

Darthatron

巨大なトロール。
Years
1) Hmmmm, we could try porting his hack, he does provide all of the source code. That would be the best and easiest way.
Yuck.
2) In Ruby there is a command called hidebox which removes the white background. This command does not work on FR, but I think that the routine could possibly be repaired/restored.
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=7295572&highlight=showpokepic#post7295572

Maybe you can use that.

Everything

Your English is very good. :)

Last edited:

Renegade

Time for real life...
Years
Is there a tool somewhere out there in the wide internet space zone that will allow me to change attacks' physical/special properties?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back