• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

pokémon obedience question

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jan 24, 2022
This is something I never really thought about before but as bad as the suggestion feed on youtube is, there was a video in there that was a bit of a throw back to the old pokémon anime, more specifically to Ash and Charizard.
Which made me think, if I start my game with any pokémon, let's say I'm on Oras and I take treecko, I level up that Treecko like a madman, let it evolve and what not, right up until level 100 WITHOUT going to any gyms first. This is all hypothetically of course cuz while possible, it would take forever.
Would it still listen to me? If I start with it and just do battles, if I don't trade it or anything at all. During those battles I assume that its happiness will get max'd as well and if needed I can play in poké ami to max its affection, tho as far as I've been told (aka I've read) happiness/affection don't affect whether or not a pokémon listens to you, even tho I definitely should.

Never actually tried to do that so I'm rather curious.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jan 24, 2022
I'm pretty sure pokemon not listening to you in the games only applies to ones that you got in a trade iirc.

The obedience mechanic only applies to traded Pokemon.

And if I were to trade a pokémon that's level 1-5 and train it to level 100 before doing any gyms, will it continue to listen or will it suddenly stop mids training the moment it hit a "level gap"?

Spyro

[title=Free 6iv Dittos!][url=https://www.reddit.co
Years
  • Seen Oct 5, 2018
And if I were to trade a pokémon that's level 1-5 and train it to level 100 before doing any gyms, will it continue to listen or will it suddenly stop mids training the moment it hit a "level gap"?

It will stop listening to you at around Lv. 10 without any Gym Badges

Years

Yup, Pokemon you obtained in a trade will stop listening to you once its level surpasses that of the badge. If you don't have any badges then a pokemon can become uncontrollable as early as after level 10 according to Bulbapedia.

Your Pokemon will act like it has truant and you'll get a message telling you that it's " loafing around" when you click on a move, it may choose moves you didn't select or lay down and go to sleep... I'm totally not speaking from childhood experience. I NEVER had to batter down the door to Misty's gym for that cascade badge to get control of a friend's Pokemon :)

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jan 24, 2022
It will stop listening to you at around Lv. 10 without any Gym Badges

Yup, Pokemon you obtained in a trade will stop listening to you once its level surpasses that of the badge. If you don't have any badges then a pokemon can become uncontrollable as early as after level 10 according to Bulbapedia.

Your Pokemon will act like it has truant and you'll get a message telling you that it's " loafing around" when you click on a move, it may choose moves you didn't select or lay down and go to sleep... I'm totally not speaking from childhood experience. I NEVER had to batter down the door to Misty's gym for that cascade badge to get control of a friend's Pokemon :)

Thank you for the info.
I never actually had problems with it but I was about to give myself a redone Ralts in X/Y which I was about the replay and wanted to push it really far before going to the first gym(s)

Spyro

Years
  • Seen Oct 5, 2018
Thank you for the info.
I never actually had problems with it but I was about to give myself a redone Ralts in X/Y which I was about the replay and wanted to push it really far before going to the first gym(s)

You can always send yourself the Ralts in an Egg, that way you'll be the OT but you can still have your Custom Ralts

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jan 24, 2022
You can always send yourself the Ralts in an Egg, that way you'll be the OT but you can still have your Custom Ralts

I know but there's no way to know whether it's a male or female ... it's ... slightly important ;D

Spyro

Years
  • Seen Oct 5, 2018
I know but there's no way to know whether it's a male or female ... it's ... slightly important ;D

Save > hatch > remember what egg it was > reset.
What is inside the egg is decided when you accept it, so it will never change when you reset after hatching it

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jan 24, 2022
Save > hatch > remember what egg it was > reset.
What is inside the egg is decided when you accept it, so it will never change when you reset after hatching it

Well then ... I always thought it was just random at hatch. How obvious it's getting that I'm to casual XD

Spyro

Years
  • Seen Oct 5, 2018
Well then ... I always thought it was just random at hatch. How obvious it's getting that I'm to casual XD
It's no worries, I used to think that before starting RNG abuse, so I assume most players think so. However to do this you'll need 2 consoles since Poké Bank doesn't accept eggs. If you don't have 2 consoles I'd be happy to help you by holding your egg :)

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jan 24, 2022
It's no worries, I used to think that before starting RNG abuse, so I assume most players think so. However to do this you'll need 2 consoles since Poké Bank doesn't accept eggs. If you don't have 2 consoles I'd be happy to help you by holding your egg :)

I got access to 3 consoles so that definitely won't be a problem XD
I can always use my lil bros DS's since I'm at my mom's place quite often lately to help her out with stuff.
Would be better if I could reset levels, kind of like how you can reset EV's

Back