• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Running Shoes

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
The running shoes were a feature that first appeared in the generation III games and have appeared ever since. They allowed for faster travel when you held down the B button without the need for a bike. So what are your thoughts on the running shoes? Do you think they were one of the highlights of this generation? How could they have been improved?

Discuss

Spr_3r_383.png

So Ruby~

bobandbill

one more time
Years
They were a nice addition, and something I am glad they kept in the games. Yay for not needed to walk slowly!

One thing still bugs me about it though - and that's having to hold the B button. It's something they fixed in HGSS too and then unfixed, so it's something I hope is rectified in later games. After all, having to hold the button for all that time was kinda annoying.

Otherwise I... don't have that much opinion on them. Nice until the bike/indoors in later games, but that's basically all there is to it.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
Awesome addition. :D Like bobandbill said, though- I don't like having to hold the B button down constantly. But that said, I've gotten so used to doing that that I still hold it down when I've tapped the shoes in HG. *shrug* I never played prior to Gen III but I've watched my friend Kelsey play Yellow and I would not have been able to move that slowly all the time wow. :|

Golden Warrior

Pokemon Professor
Years
The running shoes were probably my most used form of transportation, even after I got the bikes.

Look... I completely agree with this:

The greatest invention since sliced bread tbqh.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
Pretty much the only reason I didn't get drunk and raven on how slow the guy is in a GBA console. But in my emu I pressed B and, well, wheeee!

~ Okay, so we couldn't run indoors, so what? At least we prove May and Brendan aren't fatsos who couldn't go more than half a mile in three hours.

Yeah, they broke it in the fourth Generation by letting them run indoors. And Red and eh... Green's running style was babyish compared to the cool jog which Brendan has.

Years
I loved the Running Shoes, they made my traveling experience much better. Even though we may be unable to use them in long grass and inside buildings back in 3rd Gen, they did at least allow that from 4th Gen and on.

Tbh I always use either the Running Shoes or the bicycle when I need to get around on land.

Years
The running shoes was one of the best additions to the game, even if indoor running didn't show up until the 4th gen. It made going to and from places less of a chore, especially when you compare it to the walking speeds of the previous gens, before you get the bike. I loved that HG/SS finally gave us the option to run without holding B (even though I still did through habit), but still can't understand why they didn't add it in B/W. Hopefully we'll see that return with the release of X and Y.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
I think Running shoes is great, that I don't have to slow walking anymore, and I'm glad that this feature is kept and improved after its debut in RSE.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
I love running, one of the best features they implemented in Gen III. They made it even better in gen IV when we could run indoors, and in HG/SS, we were able to toggle on and off the run option :)

FlameChocobo

Warrior of Hoenn
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 27, 2016
Very good feature since its debut. I don't mind holding a B-button. Heart Gold and Soul Silver run feature is toggled, but should have stayed that way in Gen V.

Years
  • Seen Feb 8, 2015
I like the running shoes because it does make me hold the B button down. I feel I need to press a button at all times to enjoy playing. Lol. Pressing B + Up to capture a pokemon even though I know it won't make it 100%. Pressing A after an attack to "make it do more damage". Plus the precision. I like it way more than the bike and waaaaay more than walking.

Aurora

seven years here and i finally figure out how to d
Years
There hasn't been a time where the running shoes haven't been useful, and even their debut -- Generation III -- isn't an exception. Yes, not being able to run in a few buildings is a slight pain, but that's almost completely inconsequential. I've never had an issue with always having to hold the B button, either; you get used to it after a short while (I actually found HGSS's always-on function quite annoying, but...) I found Generation III a bit slow, and I don't think I'd have been able to get through it without the running shoes.

Back