• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokémon] The Kanto Journeys

Years
19. The Northern Cape

"Staryu! Bubblebeam on that Spearow to slow him down!" Ariana Rowe shouted.

"You know that I hate it when you tell my Pokémon what to do!" Proton Carson reacted.

"So what?" Ariana replied.

"So don't do that, focus on your own Pokémon, or I'll tell Lucy about this." Proton threatened.

"Oh, how scary," Ariana sarcastically reacted. Proton was about to reply, but then he remembered that there was still a Pokémon battle going on. He looked at his and his companion's Pokémon to see that Ariana's Gloom had been defeated by Bill's Porygon, while the PokéManiac's other Pokémon were attacking her Diglett and Growlithe, and his own Staryu was under attack from Zane's Bulbasaur.

"Diglett! Mud Slap on Magneton and Voltorb!" He heard Ariana command. He told his Staryu to hit Zane's Bulbasaur with Psywave, while the female Admin's Growlithe attacked Bill's Eevee and Porygon.

Kelvin's Seel, meanwhile, had been beaten by Misdreavus before being able to hit Sneasel, meaning that the latter two could go and help the admins. The Dark Type's Icy Wind managed to defeat Zane's Spearow, whereas Misdreavus confused Bill's Dratini with Confuse Ray. The brown-haired man's two Electric Types fainted due to Ariana's Diglett, while Zane's Grass Type beat Proton's Staryu, leaving the male Admin without any Pokémon to battle. The Misdreavus went on to confuse Bill's Clefairy as well, and Sneasel used Icy Wind to deal critical damage to both Bulbasaur and Dratini. However, the green Pokémon's Ability, Overgrow, was activated because of this.

Overgrow, being the Grass Type counterpart to Blaze, Red's Charmander's Ability, raises the power of Bulbasaur's Grass Type Attack when he hasn't got much health left. Zane knew this and told his Pokémon to use Vine Whip to defeat Ariana's Diglett with one hit. Bill's Clefairy tried to use Disarming Voice to beat Team Rocket's Sneasel, but the attack landed on Bill's Dratini, because of the Fairy Type's confusion, causing the Dragon Type to faint.

The grunt whose Pokémon had already fainted was told something by Proton, after which he ran back to Cerulean City, probably to send that message to their Chiefs. Their Misdreavus, meanwhile, attacked Zane's Bulbasaur with Astonish to defeat him. At least, that's what would've happened if Bill hadn't interfered. His Shiny Eevee beat the Ghost Type with Bite before she could reach Zane's Pokémon. The Sneasel, however, distracted the Shiny Pokémon while Ariana's Growlithe struck with Flame Wheel to beat the Palletan Boy's last Pokémon so that Bill was the only Trainer left to battle the Admin and the grunt.

Clefairy fainted after hitting herself with Disarming Voice, while Porygon used Signal Beam to defeat Sneasel, and Growlithe's Bite was enough to cause the Shiny Eevee to faint.

"One versus one," Zane noted, trying to start a conversation with Kelvin, but the Pewterian boy grumbled back as a sign of neglect, so Zane looked back at the fight. Porygon's Conversion turned it into a Psychic to make its Psybeam do more damage. Bill, however, forgot about Ariana's Pokémon's attacks, and Growlithe used Bite to hit the pink-and-blue Pokémon with a super effective hit. After the Pokémaniac cursed himself, and his Pokémon had only just survived the attack, he ordered it to use Psybeam. That extra bit of damage due to Porygon having the same Type as its move, combined with a lucky critical hit, got Bill quite close to defeating the Fire Type. The admin told her Pokémon to use Reversal, a Fighting Type attack that does more damage when the user has less health left. Ariana's Growlithe had nearly been defeated, so the woman thought it would be a good idea to do this. However, Bill didn't even need to tell his Pokémon what to do, it had already figured out what to do. It used Conversion 2 to change itself to a Ghost Type, causing Reversal to do no damage at all.

"No!" Ariana shouted. "Proton, why did you do this?!" The male admin didn't reply, but even Zane and Kelvin could hear his deep sigh and see the frustrated look on his face.

"You distracted me!" Ariana continued. "Don't you ever dare to do that again!"

"And how would I have been able to do so?" Proton returned.

"By standing there!" Ariana yelled. "Get out!"

"And you'll have to do that with him!" Bill shouted.

"Your last Pokémon has been beaten just now," one of the Grunts noted.

"I can see that myself!" The admin barked. "And why didn't you do anything? You could've told Growlithe to use Bite!"

"Well..." The grunt tried, but the woman had already turned back, and everyone but her knew that she would've yelled at the Grunts if they had dared to even think about ordering her Pokémon to attack.

"You!" Ariana shouted, looking and pointing at Zane. "The Boss will know about this, Patterson! And he will destroy you and your Pokémon!"

"We could've done that if it weren't for you," Proton mumbled, quiet enough for his companion to not hear it. Ariana turned around to the other Admin and the remaining two grunts and shouted at them to return to their base. At that moment, the third grunt reappeared together with five Abra to teleport the five members of Team Rocket. The three grunts and Ariana each took one of the Pokémon and disappeared.

"He'll find you, Patterson," Proton warned with an evil smile on his face. "And I'll be with him when he does. Maybe, if you're lucky, Ariana as well," he laughed, after which took the last Abra in his hand and was teleported away.

While Bill returned his Porygon, Zane tried to start a conversation with Kelvin again, but the Pewterian's response was the same as before.

"I thought I'd told you to give up on your League Challenge, bonehead" he noted.

"You did," Zane replied. "And as you can see, I didn't listen to you."

"You should've," Kelvin said. "You're too stupid to even defeat two Pokémon that were weak to yours, don't you think there's a clear sign in that?"

"But then what about you?" Zane asked.

Kelvin still didn't seem pleased with the amount of frustration in his rival's voice, "mine were defeated after they had beaten four of their Pokémon, idiot. And you even had one more Pokémon and the Maniac to help you."

"So what?" Zane exclaimed.

"That means that you're not good enough for the League," Kelvin calmly replied, irritating the other boy even more.

"That's enough!" Bill interrupted. "I know that you like getting under his hair, probably also under other people's, but the two of us need to continue."

"Good, then I can defeat Misty and continue east," Kelvin replied. "See if you can catch up with me."

"Didn't you do that already? I thought you were so much better than me," Zane mocked.

"That's because I spent some time training with the strongest Trainer in northern Kanto," Kelvin answered.

"You've beaten Lance?" Bill exclaimed.

"Well," Kelvin started, but the Pokémaniac already knew the answer. He turned around, taking Zane with him and leaving the other boy alone to get back to Cerulean City.

"Ah, finally," the wheatish boy sighed. He looked at his companion with his brown eyes to wait for her reply.

"The Floral Lagoon City," the girl nodded as she waved her dark red hair back into place.

"What?"

"That's Cerulean's nickname," the dark brown eyed girl replied after she had removed a bit of sand from the boy's shagged black hair.

"Do all cities have nicknames?" Brown asked.

"Yup," Yolanda replied. "Pewter City, for example, is the Stone Gray City, and Pallet Town is the Tranquil Setting of Peace and Purity, I believe."

"And what about Viridian City?"

"That's your home city, right?"

"Yes, it is."

"It's the Eternally Green Paradise," Yolanda claimed.

"Meh," Brown reacted, "good enough."

Yolanda laughed.

They continued walking to Cerulean City, talking about the nicknames of other cities and towns in the Kanto region. When they entered the TRC, near the east exit to the Rock Tunnel, the two immediately went to ask for rooms. Brown had to share a room with one Cedric Burns, whereas Yolanda got the only one-person room. After this, the two went to the battlefields to see if there was anyone for Brown to challenge. They looked around for some time until someone tapped on Brown shoulder.

"First in Pewter, second-last in Cerulean," the orange-haired boy laughed. "Well done." Brown turned around to see his best friend's face.

"Blue!" He exclaimed. "How are you doing?"

"Well, I haven't defeated Misty yet," the Palletan boy admitted, "even though I did already challenge her twice. How about you?"

"Yolanda and I have just gone through Mt. Moon," Brown replied.

"Yolanda is Brock's sister, right?" Blue informed.

"Yup," the girl behind Brown replied, "and that's me."

"Nice to meet you," Oak's grandson said.

"Same to you," Yolanda returned.

"By the way," Brown interrupted. "Blue, I challenge you to a battle!"

"I was wondering when you'd do that," Blue smiled, and the other two laughed with him.

Meanwhile, north of Cerulean City, Bill and Zane had started their way to the former's house near the lighthouse on the Northern Cape.

"And who was that brat?" the PokéManiac asked.

"Kelvin Berry, from Pewter City," Zane explained. "He challenged and beat me in Viridian City right after I had obtained my Boulder Badge. He is also trying to beat the Gym Leaders, and he told me to give up because I'm not strong enough for that."

"He's right about that," Bill replied, and Zane looked at him with a look of combined confusion and anger.

"Not yet," he continued. "But you've only been underway for less than a month, it's no surprise you're still not strong enough to defeat all the Gym Leaders. However, neither is he. He too has yet to beat Cerulean's Gym Leader." Zane nodded in understanding.

"Speaking of Cerulean," he noted, "why were you there when Kelvin and I were battling Team Rocket?"

"Oh yes! Of course!" Bill exclaimed. "Totally forgot about it, thanks for reminding me."

"So what was it?"

"My girlfriend went to the city this morning like she always does, but she forgot these," Bill explained, while taking a box out of his wave-patterned bag. He opened it and showed Zane the small steel pins in the shape of light blue raindrops.

"What are they?" Zane asked. "The shape reminds of something."

"That could very well be," Bill replied with a mysterious smile on his face. "You'll find out fairly soon."

"Why don't you just tell me?"

"Because I want to see the surprise on your face when the time's there," Bill friendly teased.

Zane noticed it and decided not to respond to the man's mocking, "I'll wait, then." The disappointment on Bill's face satisfied Zane, and the PokéManiac told him to go to the cape and wait for himself to return. The boy nodded, after which the two went their different ways.

When Zane walked onto the grassland on the cape, the first thing he saw was the oldest standing building in the entire Kanto Region: the Lighthouse of Cerulean City, a 70 feet high, square white tower surrounded by a number of lower buildings. Those were the rooms of the lighthouse's owner. For three consecutive days every four years, however, they were reserved for the Pokémon League Competitors as a place to stay during the first three days of the League Competition. This was because of the first round of the competition always taking place at the Northern Cape.

The cape itself was a grass plain that grew steeper when going towards the sea, slowly going from dirt and grass to rocks where it became too steep to stand upon without falling into the waves that crashed into the rocks far below. While Zane was enjoying the view of the ocean and the mountains to the north, he noticed a sound behind him.

As he turned around, he saw two large orange-red pincers and then the Pokémon they were attached to. The upper part of the Water Type was the same orange-red, while the long, thin legs, his jaw, and his hips had a light tan color. On top of his head were two small spikes, and the Pokémon started walking to the left and to the right. Zane knew from the many lessons of Professor Oak that this Pokémon's pincers were not only used offensively but also to retain balance while walking sideways. If one of the two were to break off, which could happen very easily, it couldn't walk sideways anymore, but the pincer would rather quickly regenerate into a new, even stronger one.

The Krabby looked at Zane with something that was supposed to be a smile, but it looked more like he was putting up a challenging look. Luckily for him, Zane understood him and already took a Great Ball out of his bag. This particular Krabby had seen the battle between Team Rocket and Zane earlier that day and figured out that he and the other boy were on an adventure through the region. The Water Type wanted to do the same and decided to go with the kid in the blue jacket.

When he saw that boy's Pokémon and the way he treated them, however, he guessed that it would be a better idea to go with the other Trainer, who actually cared for his Pokémon and treated them as the wondrous creatures they are. This Trainer was Zane, and he had now placed the Great Ball in front of the Water Type. Krabby pushed the button with his right claw so that the capturing device could turn him into his energy state and fit him into itself. The Great Ball didn't even wiggle once before definitely catching the orange-red Pokémon.

'And that's number five,' Zane thought while taking the three Poké Ball and the Brawl Ball out of his bag to let his other four Pokémon meet their new friend.

"So you're finally underway," Nick noted.

"Yes, it took me some time, but here we are," Gray answered.

"And how are the other four?"

"Well, two days before Red's birthday, Brown captured a Geodude in the forest by Route 1. The last time I saw him, he still hadn't beaten Brock yet."

"And did you?"

"Yup, on my first try."

"With just Dratini? Nice."

"But now comes the best part for you," Gray announced.

"I'm listening."

"On Red's birthday, the other three got their first Pokémon from the Professor."

"Seriously? So Zane's on his way through Kanto as well?"

"Yes, together with Bulbasaur, Spearow, and Mankey. I don't know if he has caught any since I last saw him, but he had those three when he defeated Brock."

"And Red and Blue? I suppose they got Charmander and Squirtle?"

"Yup, and Blue caught a Nidoran near Viridian."

"Anything to tell about my sister and her friends?"

"Kiara and Green are still in Pallet, I think. But Yellow is in Pewter already as well. She got her Pikachu a few days after Red's birthday, and she has already caught a Rattata that guided her through the Viridian Forest."

"Isn't that the Forest Guides' job?"

"They've left the woods."

"What?!" The 16 years old stopped walking.

"Why would they ever do that?"

"I don't know," Gray lied.

"What's the matter?" Kevin and the three girls were walking after the two Palletans, but only nearly avoided bumping into Nick when he stopped.

"The Forest Guides left the woods," Gray explained.

"Who are they?" Tanya asked.

"Where are you from?" Nick returned.

"My twin sister and I are from Lavender," Lola replied.

"And we're from Pewter," Tara added.

"That explains it," Nick stated.

"Anyway," Gray continued. "It looks like we've reached Vermilion City."

"I could've figured that out myself," Lola mumbled, watching the sign above the gate that said 'Welcome to Vermilion City.' The six returned to the TRC, in which Gray properly introduced his new friends to Nick.

"They are Tanya and Lola," he started. "As you probably already noticed, they are twin sisters. Tanya is the chirpy one with the curly hair, Lola with the straight hair."

Nick nodded.

"And the other two are Kevin and Tara, the brother and sister I battled in the Pewter TRC together with Blue."

"Who won?" Nick asked.

"We, of course," Tara laughed.

Nick nodded again with a smile on his face.

"Tanya has the Cascade, Rainbow, and Thunder Badge," Gray continued, "and Lola the only the first of those two."

Another nod.

"And the Pewterians have beaten Brock and Misty, just like me."

A final nod, "and you 've captured a Diglett to help you in your battle against Lt. Surge, am I right?"

Now it was Gray's turn to nod.

"And which Pokémon do yall have?" Nick asked the four. He listened to their teams and gave them a few strategies to use with the Pokémon they had.

"And how many Badges do you have?" Tanya asked.

"Six," Nick answered. "And I was about to leave for Fuchsia to obtain my seventh." Gray's friends, even Lola, were impressed by his achievements.

"So you only have to defeat Koga and Viridian's Gym Leader, right?" Tara asked.

"I have already earned my Earth Badge," Nick replied. "When I started my journey, Giovanni was still Viridian's Gym Leader. The other one I haven't defeated yet is Blaine, he's going to be the last one for me."

"By the way," Gray interrupted. "Have any of you heard of Team Rocket?" The other five all confirmed that they did.

"We saw them right before we arrived in Cerulean," Tara explained.

"They were heading for Mt. Moon," Kevin added, "but we had no idea that they were going to harm anyone. It was in the TRC when we discovered who they were."

"We've seen a bunch of them hanging around the Celadon Game Corner," Tanya continued.

"And I saw them when I first arrived in Viridian City," Nick finished. "Giovanni was fighting the six of them when I arrived at the Gym, but they stood no chance against that man."

"I still wonder why he gave up his position," Gray said.

"Same here," Nick responded.

"And where is he now?" Kevin added.

"Nobody knows," Lola replied. "But I've heard some theories that the new Gym Leader has connections with Team Rocket and they forced Giovanni to leave the Gym."

"Wouldn't be a surprise to me," Tara admitted.

"But it definitely would to me," Nick replied. "Team Rocket is a bunch of unorganized thugs, they would never be able to scare a Gym Leader away, not even with twenty or thirty of them."

"I'm not so sure," Gray responded. "They definitely have at least some structure. I've heard people talking about their Admins and Executives."

"Seriously?" Nick exclaimed. "Now that's what I would call a surprise."

"I think they will be a bigger threat than we think now," Tanya admitted.

"But only time will tell," Nick added. "Speaking of time, I think I'm leaving."

"Why don't you stay with us for a bit more?" Gray asked.

"I've had contact with a friend I made in Celadon, we've arranged to meet in Fuchsia's TRC today. It's still early in the afternoon, so I might be able to make it there before dusk."

"Okay then," Gray said. "I guess I'll see you again on the Indigo Plateau."

"If you make it that far," Nick laughed.

"Oh, just you wait."

"Clefairy, Spearow, Bulbasaur, Mankey, meet Krabby." On the Northern Cape, Zane wanted to train with all five of his Pokémon. They attacked the wild Pokémon on the cape, including some Bulbasaur.

'I didn't know they could appear in the wild,' Zane thought, but he didn't take the next step to the conclusion he would later come to.

"Krabby, Spearow, use Vice Grip and Peck to attack the wild Bulbasaur!" Zane was so focused on his own Pokémon that he didn't notice Bill returning to the cape.

"Training your new Pokémon, aren't you?" He shouted, not accidentally startling the Palletan boy.

"Let's go," he continued. "It's less than a five-minute walk to my house." Zane nodded and returned his Pokémon after they had defeated another wild Bulbasaur. He ran to Bill, who had already started walking.

"So, how did it go?" Zane asked.

"How did what go?"

"Returning that box to your girlfriend?"

"Oh, it was nothing special," the PokéManiac answered. "This wasn't the first time she forgot it."

Zane nodded, "Will you now tell me who she is?"

"Nope," Bill laughed. Zane grumbled and decided to stop trying.

"Believe me, you will find out in a few days time," the man repeated. The two chatted some more about the rare Pokémon Bill had at his lab like his Porygon and Shiny Eevee. After about two minutes, they found Bill's home.

It was a one-story-high building, made of yellow bricks with a flat wooden roof. The house only had a bathroom, a bedroom, and a living room, nothing more.

"Here we are," the Maniac announced. "This is where I live together with my girlfriend." He tried to provoke Zane into asking about her again, but the boy didn't give in.

"That's one small house," he instead noted.

"Yeah, she wanted a compact house near the sea, so there you go."

"Can we go inside? It's getting a bit cold."

"Of course," Bill replied. "That's what we're here for, isn't it?"

The dark-brown-haired man quickly showed Zane the few rooms but then led him to the garden, which was much more spacious than the house itself. Flowers in all colors, trees of all sorts, rocks of all sizes, small fountains in all shapes, and gravel paths in all directions.

Bill's Pokémon were all around the garden. There were Shiny versions of several species like Geodude, Raticate, Pidgeotto, and Drowzee, but also Pokémon that weren't particularly common like Omastar, Ditto, Tangela, and Lapras. One thing that got into Zane's mind was that there was an enormous amount of Water Types. He could see one of each species, including Vaporeon, Poliwrath, and even Blastoise.

"Oh, there you are," Bill interrupted the boy's thoughts, he picked something up from the ground.

"Have you heard about different sizes of Pokémon?" The PokéManiac asked, to which Zane nodded.

"Well, then take a look at this one." Behind Bill lay a dark blue-green Pokémon with a cream-colored spot covering his front and the underside of his feet. It was of the fattest Pokémon species in existence, but this one was only as high as Bill's knees.

"The smallest Snorlax ever found," the dark-blue wearing man explained, "living in our garden." Zane, still surprised by the size of the Normal Type, didn't know what to say.

"I get this reaction a lot," Bill stated.

"What reaction?"

"None," the man laughed.

The two went back inside to get something to drink and were followed by Bill's Shiny Zubat.

Her body was a moss green color where a normal Zubat would've been dark blue, and her membranous wings were light brown to orange. Her pointy ears and two thin tails were the same green as the rest of the body, with the insides of the ears having the brown color.

"Do you want to come with me for some time?" Bill asked. The Zubat gave a screech, which the PokéManiac understood as a yes.

"Then Voltorb'll have to stay here for that time." He took out the Luxury Ball containing his Electric Type and sent out the Pokémon. He placed the Ball inside a box and took out Zubat's Dusk Ball to return her into it and bring the Poison Type with him.

"So," Bill continued. "What tea flavor do you like? I've got Qualot, Nomel, Pecha, Salac, and Ganlon."

"Whichever one is the sweetest."

"Well, Qualot is a bit spicy, Pecha is just sweet, and Salac is also sour."

"Then I want the Pecha tea."

"Will be fine!" Bill went into the garden to find a Growlithe that could use Ember to heat up the water. When he came back, he had two cups of hot tea for him and his guest to drink.

"What flavor do you have?" Zane asked.

"This is Ganlon tea, very bitter. I definitely don't have a sweet tooth, I just .. bleurgh, no, not for me."

"I can see," Zane joked. The two talked some more in the company of some Pokémon that walked inside and then out again.

"Oh, there was something I wanted to ask you," Bill started. "I've created something that I want you to test out, I call it the Pokémon Storage System. Could you try to put one of your Pokémon into it to see if it works?"

"And what will it do to them?"

"It will store them in the boxes of the system. Not physical boxes, of course, but boxes on a computer that you can access in every PMC and TRC."

"Sounds cool," Zane admitted. "But is it dangerous?"

"Definitely not," the PokéManiac assured. "The worst thing that can happen is that the system doesn't work, and even then, your Pokémon will still be in its Poké Ball."

"Okay, let's do this," Zane decided while taking a Poké Ball out of his bag. "This is the Clefairy I caught before we battled Team Rocket in Mt. Moon."

"Oh yes, I remember that one," Bill responded. The two walked to the computer that stood on the other side of the living room.

"Now place your Clefairy's Poké Ball here to send her into this box." He pointed at a hole, the size of a Poké Ball, in the desk before the computer.

"If it works, an icon that looks like a Clefairy will appear here on the screen." Zane did as he was told to, and the two looked at the screen to see what would happen.

"I don't think it worked," Zane stated.

"Just wait, this can take some time. I'm going to work on its speed later, this is just to see if it does what it's supposed to do." And there it was, on the screen, a small pink Pokémon with pointy brown ears and a curled patch of fur on her forehead.

"Yes!" Bill exclaimed. "It works!" Zane looked at the man with confusion in his eyes, he didn't understand the importance of what had just happened. Moreover, the Poké Ball containing his Fairy Type had just disappeared, so he didn't feel entirely sure how he should react.

"Zane Patterson, you have just helped me take a step to what'll be the future."

Zane nodded, but still had no idea what he had done.

"Now," Bill continued, "to retrieve your Clefairy, just click on her icon, and her Poké Ball will reappear on the desk." Zane took the mouse of the computer in his hand and moved the cursor to the pink shape. When he clicked on it, it disappeared, and the Poké Ball appeared in the hole in the desk.

"It actually worked!" Bill shouted, even more enthusiastic than before. "Send her out to see if she's alright," he urged. Zane threw the Poké Ball in the air to see his Pokémon jump out of it onto the floor, and she seemed to be doing alright. To confirm, she let out a growl with a high-pitched but healthy voice.

"Perfect," the PokéManiac praised, "absolutely perfect."

"Kadabra, your turn again!" Blake shouted to start the battle between him and Kiyo's favorite in the Fighting Dojo.

"Just as expected," the massive man said with his low and rumbling voice. "X-Scissor to damage that Kadabra!"

"No!" Blake yelled, but he was too late. His Psychic Type got hit by Bruno's Pokémon and, being tired due to the previous seven fights, fainted after only one attack.

The brown Bug Type was only as high as Zane's shoulders if it weren't for the two big spiky pincers on his head. His arms were thin, contrary to his legs, and his teeth were aligned horizontally in his mouth. Each foot and hand had three gray claws, and the look in his eyes was as angry as it always was.

"Good job, Pinsir," Bruno growled. "Now let's see what else that boy's got."

'I could let Beedrill use Fury Attack, but that's too risky,' Blake thought. 'Or Voltorb could... Yes, that might work.'

The Celadonian boy sent out his Electric Type and told it to use Screech to harshly drop Pinsir's physical defense.

"Double Hit!" The gigantic man commanded. The Bug Type hit Voltorb but was paralyzed due to that one's Static Ability.

"Now, Voltorb!" Blake excitedly shouted. "Spark to defeat Pinsir!" The attack didn't have the desired effect, however, since Bruno's Pokémon survived the hit. Luck was on Blake's side, though, because the paralysis caused the Bug Type to not be able to move. Due to this, Voltorb got the opportunity to strike again, this time actually beating the brown Pokémon.

"Pinsir, return," Bruno grumbled. "Cubone, your turn! Bonemerang to get rid of that Electric Type!" The attack was strong enough to severely damage Voltorb, but it just held on. It started spinning around to create orbs of yellow lights around him.

'A new attack,' Blake figured. 'Let's see.' Voltorb sent the five lights towards Cubone, and the rays they left behind had the shapes of stars.

"Swift!" Blake exclaimed. "That could come in handy." The Ground Type, however, managed to beat Voltorb with his second attack, meaning that Blake had to send out his third Pokémon.

"Tangela," was his best option, "Vine Whip!" Again, luck was on Blake's side as his Grass Type's Attack struck on his opponent as a critical hit, knocking out the enormous man's second of three Pokémon.

"And it comes down to you," he shouted while sending out the third.

The gray-skinned Pokémon had four sharp teeth, narrow red eyes, and three dark yellow ridges on top of his head.

"Machoke, Fire Punch!" Bruno shouted. Around the Fighting Type's muscular arms, covered in red stripes, flames started forming. The golden marking on his black belt glowed in red as well when his right fist was set on fire by the flames.

"Tangela!" Blake yelled. "Poison Powder to give us a chance!"

The Grass Type managed to hit Machoke with her poisonous spores but was then defeated by that one's Fire-Type Attack.

"Well done," Blake thanked, so quietly that it almost sounded like whispering. He knew that he had already lost this battle, since his last Pokémon, Beedrill, would also be defeated by one Fire Punch. He tried anyway.

The Bug Type was sent out and told to use Rage, after which he was hit by Machoke. That one's Fire Punch, surprisingly, wasn't enough to beat Beedrill, who continued by using Fury Attack. With their raised power, the Bug Type's stingers hit Bruno's Pokémon five times in total, with one being a critical hit. Even though Blake had all this luck, Machoke didn't faint and used one last Fire Punch while Beedrill got ready for another Fury Attack. Beedrill avoided his opponent's fist but got burned by one of the flares around his arms. This caused Blake's Pokémon's Physical Attack to return to normal, which meant that Fury Attack's two hits weren't enough to defeat Machoke either. Beedrill, distracted by his burn, didn't see the next Fire Punch coming and got knocked out by it.

"And Blake Moran, from Celadon City, is revealed to not be invincible either," Kiyo announced. "and Bruno Garwig, unsurprisingly, won the battle!" The enormous man returned his Machoke and beat on his chest to intimidate Blake, even though their battle had already finished.

"I liked this fight," the man grumbled. "Are you participating in the Pokémon League?"

"Yes, I am," Blake replied with a terrified shake in his voice.

"Perfect," the man laughed, but that sounded more like the barking of a dog than something else.

"Then I'll see you again," he concluded.

"And I'll guide you back outside," Kiyo added. Blake nodded and followed the Karate Master through the main hall. The Black Belts that had earlier shaken their heads of disapproval were now looking at the Celadonian boy with a much more appreciating and challenging look in their eyes.

'Those seven must've told them about me defeating them,' Blake figured. 'It might be a good idea to return here, maybe some stronger Trainers would like to fight me then.'

The two had reached the door.

"Thanks for paying us a visit," Kiyo said. "And to be fair, nobody except for you and two other Trainers has ever been able to get that man to send out his last Pokémon."

"And those other two?"

"Lance Draken and Lorelei Frost."

"The two that won the Pokémon Leagues from fourteen and twenty-one years ago?"

"Correct," Kiyo confirmed.

"So we both have high expectations of you," another voice grumbled. Bruno also walked through the door with a shiny stone in his hand.

"You might want to have this." He gave Blake the white stone.

"Alakazite," Bruno growled. "I thought you might like it."

"I definitely do," Blake responded.

The Mega Stone gave off a particular power. The swirly form inside it had orange, red, and yellow colors to represent Alakazam's Mega Evolution. After he had turned the small gem around several times, Blake stretched out his hand to return it to the massive man.

"No, it's yours to keep," Bruno laughed, and Kiyo laughed with him because of the surprise in the boy's eyes.

"Are you making a joke?" He asked, which only caused Kiyo to laugh even harder while Bruno looked at him with his right eyebrow raised.

"I think that's enough," he barked. "And no, this is no joke, it's actually yours."

"I don't know how to thank you," Blake muttered.

"Just try to make it to the League Competition," Bruno replied. "And I promise you that we'll have another battle."

"I'll do my best," Blake assured.

"You better do," Kiyo concluded.

The three said goodbye, after which the two men went back into the Dojo, and the boy returned to the TRC.

Last edited:
Years
20. Number Four

?Ouch,? Zane mumbled. He had just risen from his bed and bumped his head against the wall when he lay back down. He had slept in one of the two spare beds Bill had at his house. Those were only used for that purpose, Trainers who stop by and stay the night.

Zane figured that he wouldn?t be able to go back to sleep anyway, so he stepped out of the warm bed to put his clothes on. He went to the living room, where Bill was already eating his breakfast. Zane soon learned that the Pok?Maniac?s girlfriend, who he still didn?t know, had arrived back home after he fell asleep and went back out again before he woke up.

His simple breakfast existed of a glass filled with water by a Golduck and three slices of bread with a jam of Papaya Berries, sour and sweet. After he had finished, he brushed his teeth and combed his hair. When he got back to Bill, the man was in the living room, drying off the dishes and glasses at the sink. They had been cleaned by a Seadra?s Water Gun, and now they had to dry.

?So, I suppose that you?re going back to Cerulean today,? Bill guessed.

?That?s my plan,? Zane confirmed.

?Then let me?? The man was interrupted by something hitting the window.

?By Lapras? flippers, what was that?? he exclaimed. He went to open that window, but before he could do so, it broke open, and a Pok?mon jumped through.

?A Bulbasaur? A wild one again?? Zane wondered, but Bill had another concern.

?Not in my house, Zubat, Wing Attack!?

Right when the shiny Pok?mon was sent out, Bill got captured by a thick vine.

?What is...? he started, but he was silenced by the vine pulling him out of his house via the broken window.

?Okay guys,? Zane shouted while sending out all his Pok?mon. Looks like you?re needed.? The boy and his five companions ran out of the house to see what was going. There were wild Bulbasaur and Ivysaur everywhere, but they were led by another Pok?mon.

The dark green-blue Pok?mon had a bumpy hide and thick legs with three claws on each foot. The enormous pink flower on her back was supported by a brown trunk with five big green petals. In the middle of the flower was a golden seed with a top as pointy as the Pok?mon?s ears. She had circular red eyes, and the long vines, extending from under the large petals, were the ones that held Bill captive. By hitting the giant Pok?mon with Peck, Zane?s Spearow didn?t do any damage, but it did distract her enough for Mankey to rescue the Pok?Maniac.

?Run back to Cerulean!? Bill shouted. ?Ask for help!?

Zane nodded and did what the man told him to. At least, that?s what he tried to do, but the Bulbasaur and Ivysaur formed a wall he couldn?t pass. He heard Bill right behind him, cursing the wild Pok?mon.

------
A young boy and a man from about ten years older were running away from the Pok?mon that was charging at them, but the Pok?mon grabbed the older man. The boy turned around and wanted to tell his Pok?mon to attack, but the man had a Pok?mon himself. His Pok?mon attacked and caused the wild one to let the man loose.
------

Zane and Bill were running away from the Venusaur, but the Grass Type grabbed the latter. Zane turned around and wanted to tell his Pok?mon to attack, but Bill had a Pok?mon himself. It attacked and caused the Venusaur to let the man loose.

?Good job, Porygon,? he shouted. ?Keep using Psybeam! Magneton, lower their Special Defense with Metal Sound!? His Shiny Pok?mon, Zubat and Eevee, were told to use Air Cutter and Sand Attack respectively, while Zane ordered his Spearow to use Peck and his Clefairy put some Bulbasaur and Ivysaur to sleep with Sing. Bill?s Clefairy did the same, while his Dratini paralyzed the wild Pok?mon with Thunder Wave. Zane?s Krabby and Mankey worked together pretty well with the Fighting Type using Leer to make Krabby?s Vice Grip do more damage. The boy?s Bulbasaur, however, got scared by the sight of his congeners and their evolutions and hid behind his Trainer?s legs.

?You can do this,? Zane calmed him. ?They may be more powerful, but we are smarter. Try to avoid their attacks while hitting as many of them as possible.?

Bulbasaur nodded, but it was obvious that he didn?t have enough confidence for this. He charged at an Ivysaur and slammed onto her with a reckless but powerful attack. Zane felt his Pok?dex buzz.

Bulbasaur has learned a new move, called Take Down, a physical Normal-type Attack with an accuracy of 85%. This attack also hurts the user a little. Bulbasaur already knew four moves, so he forgot the move Growl.

?Bulbasaur!? The boy shouted. ?Amazing, but don?t use that attack too often, you?ll get hurt as well. Use Cut instead, that?ll be enough!? The other Pok?mon seemed to be doing fine, but there was one thing that bothered Zane, the Venusaur.

?I should?ve seen it,? he judged himself. ?Wild Bulbasaur, that?s impossible. Why didn?t I think about 100 KR then??

There was one difference though. Unlike Golem, Poliwrath, and Machamp, this Pok?mon didn?t attack. She just stood there, as if she was waiting for something.

Back in the city ?Between Rugged Mountains,? Pewter City, another Gym Battle for the Boulder Badge had just started. The girl who had challenged Brock a few seconds earlier was from the northwestern city herself, and the first Pok?mon she had sent out to defeat the Gym Leader?s Onix was her Ponyta. She looked at the Rock Type with her piercing green eyes while ordering her own Pok?mon to lower her opponent?s power with Growl. The Gym Leader, however, ordered his Onix to raise his defense with Harden, so that the girl?s Pok?mon?s physical Attacks wouldn?t be as damaging as they normally would.

The first actual strike after a few status moves came from Brock?s Onix in the form of Bulldoze, which was super effective against Ponyta. As a secondary effect, this Attack slowed Ponyta down, but the girl ordered her Pok?mon to use Tail Whip. It didn?t matter whether Ponyta would be slowed down or even if she fainted. All that mattered was that Onix wouldn?t be able to defeat her second Pok?mon. She swung back the curl of her waving Petaya Berry-brown hair that had gotten into her face and shouted for her Pok?mon to use Flame Wheel to try burning the Rock Type. It didn?t go as the girl had hoped on the first try, but it did on the second after Onix had used another Bulldoze. To nullify the effects of the double Harden the Gym Leader had let his Pok?mon use, Ponyta used a final Tail Whip before fainting because of a Rock Tomb.

?Okay then,? Ira Newton exclaimed. ?Thanks a lot, Ponyta. I?ll finish the battle with my Nidoran!? Her second Pok?mon jumped out of her Pok? Ball and instantly hit Onix twice with Double Kick.

?This?ll be easy!? The Gym Leader shouted. ?Bulldoze to defeat that Pok?mon!? Although the Ground-Type Attack did slow down the Poison Type, it didn?t cause quite as much damage as Brock had expected. He had thought of his Pok?mon?s lowered power but hadn?t realized it had such a big effect, and the burn from Ponyta?s Flame Wheel lowered the strength of Onix? Attacks even more. A cheeky smile appeared on Ira?s face, she was sure of her first Gym Badge. After her Nidoran had used another Double Kick, and the burn had done its damage, Onix fell down on the ground with closed eyes and Ira?s Pok?mon standing next to the big horn on his head.

?Onix is unable to continue,? the judge declared, ?meaning that Ira Newton, from Pewter City, has won the battle, thereby officially earning the Boulder Badge.? The two Trainers returned their Pok?mon and walked to the middle of the field.

?Well done,? Brock praised. ?You?ve defeated my Onix with two Pok?mon that are weak to his Bulldoze, impressive.? Ira smiled, ?thanks!?

?So you?re finally leaving the City?? The man asked.

?Not yet, I?m traveling together with three others. Two of them already have their Boulder Badges, but Yellow still needs to beat you.?

?And Yellow is the girl with Pikachu and Rattata, right??

?You?ve got it.?

?And who are the other two??

?Red Newman and Bethany Adkins.?

?Oh yeah, I remember that Newman boy, he defeated my Onix with just his Charmander. Now that?s what I?d call superb.? Ira laughed.

This was a joke that started between the two of them when Ira was around seven years old. She had wondered why Brock always found things ?impressive.? Brock had then jokingly said that he found the girl?s question a superb one, and it was their inside joke since then.

?Well then,? Brock started. ?Here?s your Boulder Badge.? He handed Ira the small gray octagon, and the girl took her light orange Badge Case out of her bag. She opened the tiny box and placed the reward for her victory in the upper left gap in the lime green velvet.

?Good luck,? Brock wished her. ?And I hope to see you on the Indigo Plateau in a year time.?

?You will,? Bethany assured.

?Then get going,? Brock replied. ?There are seven more Badges for you to obtain.? Ira nodded and said goodbye to her good friend. After the Gym Leader had returned a goodbye and saw the girl walk out of his Gym, he turned around.

?Why do they have to grow up so fast??

During Ira?s Gym Battle, Zane and Bill were able to defeat a big part of the Ivysaur and Bulbasaur, but the endless wall of those Grass Types made them unable to even reach the wild Pok?mon?s leader. The boy?s Spearow and Bulbasaur were attacking them separately, while his Clefairy sang all of her opponents to sleep, and Mankey and Krabby were working together to help as much as they could. The Pok?Maniac was ordering his Clefairy to do the same as Zane?s, and his Eevee and Magneton lowered the Grass Types? accuracies and special defenses respectively. His Dratini paralyzed the wild Pok?mon with Thunder Wave, Porygon was confusing them with Psybeam, and Zubat was attacking multiple of them at the same time by slashing them with a razor-like wind, which she launched by slicing her wings through the air at high speeds.

?Something is off about her wings,? Bill thought. ?It?s like they?re bigger than normal. What?s the matter with her?? The answer came soon: the Poison Type started glowing in a golden light.

?What?s happening?? Zane shouted.

?That?s how it looks like when a Shiny Pok?mon is evolving,? Bill explained.

The chin of the now completely golden shape grew longer, whereas her big ears shrank while becoming pointier. The thin antennae she had as legs became thicker, and long linear feet grew on them. As Bill had already noticed before the Pok?mon started glowing, the wings grew bigger, and the golden light was expulsed after the main part of the Poison Type?s body was about as tall as the wings were wide. This left the evolved form of Bill?s Shiny Zubat to be seen by everyone. The two Trainers now also saw that she now had eyes so that she could see instead of having to use echolocation. The growth of her chin was needed for her now much bigger mouth, which contained four big sharp fangs.

?Amazing, a Golbat!? Bill exclaimed. ?Keep using Air Cutter!?

When he looked around, however, he noticed that Zane?s Bulbasaur had fainted, as well as both Clefairy. Moreover, his Eevee and Zane?s Spearow had been poisoned by the Ivysaur that knew Toxic. A bigger problem: Venusaur had started attacking again. She took out Zane?s Krabby with one Vine Whip, which Mankey avoided. She added a Bulldoze to take out Bill?s Dratini and Magneton, but many of the wild Pok?mon as well. The Pok?Maniac?s Eevee got beaten by a bunch of Ivysaur, while Venusaur was hit by an intense blast of fire.

?Flamethrower,? Bill figured. ?I don?t think any of Zane?s Pok?mon could ever learn that attack, so who was that??

Another Flamethrower was used to defeat the group of Bulbasaur and Ivysaur that was close to defeating Porygon. The Pok?mon responsible for this jumped in the middle of the battle and covered all of the Grass Types around himself in flames. The wild Pok?mon were all hurt by the fire, most of them even fainted. The few that didn?t, were taken out by another Flamethrower from the dark red Pok?mon, who roared while smoke was still coming out of his long snout. The flame at the tip of his tail was bigger than that of Red?s Charmander, which wasn?t weird, considering that this Pok?mon was the evolved form of that species. The Charmeleon had a horn at the back of his head, and his narrow blue eyes made him look a bit arrogant, a feeling that was boosted by the self-satisfied smile on his face and the way he showed off his muscles while roaring as loud as he could.

?Enough bragging!? A man shouted. ?Defeat that Venusaur!?

Another battle fought at the same time, was the one between Blue and Brown in Cerulean City. Both had sent out their weaker Pok?mon to start.

?Beedrill! Harden to defend yourself,? on Brown?s side.

?Nidoran! Focus Energy for critical hits,? on Blue?s.

?This is my first fight against any of my four friends,? Brown thought. ?And I?m not gonna lose it.?

His Beedrill used Rage on his opponent, who countered with Peck, a super-effective move. Beedrill didn?t faint to this, however, and his physical power increased, which only caused Rage to do even more damage. Adding to this the fact that the attack was a critical hit, it was no surprise that Blue?s Poison Type fainted.

?You?re better than I expected,? Blue shouted.

?Better than you, that?s for sure,? Brown returned.

Blue nodded and sent out his Squirtle. ?Let?s see if that?s right. Squirtle, Bubble to take that Beedrill out!?

As both Trainers had foreseen, Brown?s Pok?mon fainted after the Water-Type Attack hit him, but not before he had used one last Poison Sting to poison the blue Pok?mon.

?Geodude, we can do this!? Brown exclaimed. ?Magnitude and hope for the best!? Luckily for the wheatish boy, it turned out to be a Magnitude 10, the strongest it could be.

Squirtle, however, managed to survive the hit and returned a Bubble to Geodude. This attack was super effective against both Rock- and Ground Types, so it did an enormous amount of damage to Brown?s Pok?mon. The gray Pok?mon, contrary to Squirtle, couldn?t hold on and fell onto the yellowish sand on the battlefield with closed eyes and his arms next to him, powerless.

?Geodude has fainted,? the judge announced, ?meaning Blue Oak won the battle.?

?You did well,? Brown told the two Pok? Balls in his hands. ?Both of you.?

Blue, on the other hand, returned his Pok?mon and immediately walked to the other side of the field with an incredibly smug grin on his face.

?I thought you were so much better,? he said.

?I am,? The Viridiane boy replied. ?It?s just that your Pok?mon have an advantage over mine.?

?Yeah sure,? Blue laughed.

?Don?t argue now,? Yolanda intervened. ?You?ve just found each other back, and you?re already squabbling over a simple battle.?

Neither Blue nor Brown had a good reaction to this, so they both kept their mouths shut and walked back into the TRC with Brock?s sister.

?So when are you going to challenge Misty?? Blue asked Brown. ?I don?t think it?ll be very soon. I still need something to do against Water Types. Geodude has an extreme weakness to them, and Beedrill is just not strong enough to do something on his own.?

Blue nodded. ?For me, it?s just that Squirtle can only lower their stats because Water isn?t that effective against itself, and Nidoran, like Beedrill, is still too weak.?

?So that means there?s some training for you to do,? Yolanda concluded.

?That reminds me,? Blue added, ?Zane went to train north of Cerulean, so he?ll probably be here soon.?

?Amazing,? Brown exclaimed. ?Maybe I can defeat him.?

?I don?t think so,? Blue responded. ?He already has four Pok?mon, even I wouldn?t be able to beat him at this point.?

?We?ll see about that,? Yolanda replied. ?I believe in Brown.?

Speaking of Zane, he and Bill were both surprised by the sudden appearance of a Charmeleon in the middle of the chaos. It kept on beating several Bulbasaur and Ivysaur, while Venusaur was attacked by two Dragonair simultaneously using Ice Beam.

?Horsea,? the calm male voice continued, ?Aurora Beam!? The rainbow-colored Attack cleared a path for the man and his other three Pok?mon.

His Tauros immediately charged through the opening to defeat even more Ivysaur with Zen Headbutt, while the man just stood there to watch the battle with his dark blue cape wavering in the wind and his strongest Pok?mon by his side.

The giant orange Pok?mon had a long tail with a striated beige underside. This strike of lighter skin extended all the way up to the Dragon Type?s chin and was broader around his waist than it was on his tail and neck. A small horn was on top of his head, right between a pair of long thin antennae. He had small wings, which didn?t limit the Pok?mon?s speed during flight, and his big round eyes had a gray color. And it was only his happy smile and his round snout that completely nullified the intimidating effect the rest of his body gave.

?A Dragonite,? Zane whispered, impressed by the immense height of the Dragon Type.

?Keep attacking the Bulbasaur and Ivysaur!? The mysterious Trainer shouted with a calm and deep voice. ?Dragonite will take care of the Venusaur!?

Zane?s Spearow worked together with Bill?s Golbat to defeat the remaining few Bulbasaur, while the Pok?Maniac?s Porygon was beaten by one of the Ivysaur, just like Zane?s Mankey and the Trainer?s Horsea.

Charmeleon and Tauros took out most of the other Ivysaur, and the two Dragonair fought Venusaur together with Dragonite. When both Spearow and Golbat were beaten, all but nine Grass Types were defeated.

The eight Ivysaur fainted after being struck by Tauros and Charmeleon, but Venusaur managed to slam one of the Dragonair to the ground. Charmeleon dug his sharp claws deep into Venusaur?s thick hide, but the wild Pok?mon managed to get hold of the second Dragonair with one of her vines and smashed him against the Fire Type, knocking both Pok?mon out. Dragonite kept hitting the Grass Type with his wings, while Tauros used Zen Headbutt to damage her even more. The latter was defeated by Seed Bomb, but Dragonite struck Venusaur with a critical hit, nearly taking out the wild Pok?mon.

?Now, Dragonite!? The man shouted. ?Dragon Tail to finish her off!? The long tail of the enormous Dragon Type slammed into the Grass Type, bringing an end to the battle.

?Well done,? the man praised his Pok?mon.

?You two as well,? this time to Zane and Bill.

?It was about time you showed up!? The Pok?Maniac shouted.

?I?m sorry, Bill, I was taking a shower!? The mysterious man laughed back. ?And who might that boy be??

?This is Zane Patterson, from Pallet Town.?

?Patterson??

?Son of Orion, if that?s what you mean.?

?That?s exactly what I meant.?

?And you are?? Zane asked.

?The name?s Lance Draken,? the man answered. ?Victor of the 3239 Pok?mon League.?

?I, Lola Clayton, from Lavender Town, am here to challenge Lieutenant Surge for a Gym Battle.? One of the green-haired twin sisters had just walked into the Vermilion City Gym to challenge the City?s Gym Leader.

?I accept your challenge!? An arrogant voice shouted back. ?But you already have the Thunder Badge, if I remember correctly.?

?Nope,? Lola replied. ?I haven?t even challenged you before. You?re probably thinking about my twin sister, Tanya.?

?Oh, that explains it,? the enormous man said. ?Now tell me, Lola, which Pok?mon and Badges do you have??

?I?ve got Ponyta and Ekans, and I?ve beaten Erika and Misty.?

?The same two Gym Leaders as your sister, so you?re traveling together??

?Yup, for now.?

Lt. Surge nodded. ?Anyway, I?m using Raichu and Magnemite in this battle. Let?s see how it goes.?

After the judge had announced the battle and explained the rules, both Trainers sent out their first Pok?mon. For Lola, that was Ponyta, which had an advantage over Surge?s Magnemite.

?Thunder Shock to paralyze her!? The Gym Leader started, but the Electric Type didn?t manage to afflict the wished condition onto Lola?s Pok?mon, who responded with Flame Wheel, super effective against the silver Pok?mon. It would?ve defeated it if it hadn?t had the Sturdy Ability, which makes it impossible that a Pok?mon faints after a single hit.

?Magnemite! Use Light Screen to help Raichu!? The big eye on the front of the spherical Pok?mon started glowing purple, and the magnets on its sides created a transparent wall on Surge?s side of the battlefield by spinning around at high speed. This screen made the physical Attacks from Lola?s Pok?mon do less damage against the lieutenant?s Pok?mon. The Pok?mon?s three screws, two underneath its eye and one on top of its body, were also turning around rapidly, but it didn?t look like they had any effect on the Pok?mon?s Attack. After the Light Screen had been set up, Ponyta used Flame Wheel again to defeat Magnemite, which meant Lt. Surge needed to send out his second Pok?mon.

?Raichu! Fake Out to start this!? This Normal-Type Attack made Ponyta flinch, giving the Electric Pok?mon an opportunity to use another move, which was Thunderbolt.

?And finish her off with Quick Attack!? The giant man shouted. Raichu charged at Ponyta with such an extreme velocity that he made himself almost invisible. After he had struck her, he got burned by the flames on her back. Ponyta, however, fainted without having attacked the Electric Pok?mon even once.

Lola thanked her Pok?mon and returned her, after which she sent out her second Pok?mon. Ekans? Ability, Intimidate, lowered Raichu?s physical power. The Poison Type immediately used Screech to lower his opponent?s physical defense as well, after which he was hit by Thunderbolt, which failed to paralyze him. Ekans continued with Bite, which also managed to make Raichu flinch. This gave Lola the time to let her Pok?mon use another Screech to sharply lower Surge?s Pok?mon?s defense again.

?Raichu!? The lieutenant shouted. ?Thunderbolt to beat that Ekans before it?s too late!? Although it did massive damage, the Attack wasn?t enough to defeat Lola?s Poison Type.

?And now it is too late for you!? She yelled to the opposite side of the field. ?Ekans! Bite to Knock him out!?

The reason both Trainers were so sure about the girl?s victory, was that the Light Screen had faded away. This, in combination with Raichu?s lowered defense, made Bite do so much damage that it was able to finish Lt. Surge?s Pok?mon.

?Raichu is unable to continue,? the judge announced. ?Meaning that Lola Clayton, from Lavender Town, has won the battle, thereby officially earning the Thunder Badge.? Both Pok?mon were returned to their respective Pok? Balls, and the two Trainers walked to the circle in the middle of the battlefield.

?You?re as good as your sister,? Surge complimented.

?If not better,? Lola replied.

The lieutenant laughed, ?Good. You?ve earned this.? He handed the girl a small eight-pointed golden star-shaped badge with an orange octagon in the center.

Lola swung her bag from her back and opened the smallest pocket in the front of it. The pocket had two Badges already pinned into it, the Rainbow Badge from Celadon City and the Cascade Badge from Cerulean City. The first was in the bottom-left corner of the pocket, the second was right of the space above the former, and now, the Thunder Badge was pinned into the fabric two places right of the Rainbow Badge.

?Where are you going next?? Surge asked.

?We?re thinking Fuchsia City,? Lola answered.

?You?re going to defeat the old man,? the man laughed. ?He?s the best of us eight if you ask me. Good luck.?

?Thanks,? the girl replied, after which she turned around and left the Gym to return to her twin sister and her friends.

Zane, Bill, and Lance had been talking for several minutes now, and Zane had already figured out that Lance was good friends with his father, Orion, back when they went on their adventure. They had also been traveling around in a group of five friends. Orion and Lance, of course, but also Giovanni Olson, the ex-Gym Leader of Viridian City, Caleb Hudson, Grey?s father who had gone missing a few years ago, and one Conrad Huff.

Zane had never heard of the last name, but Lance told him that the man was impossible to miss with his orange hair and the scar running along the left side of his dark-skinned face.

?So if you?re on your journey now,? the dark red-haired man started, ?you might know the boy that trained with me last week. Do you know Kelvin Berry??

Bill could only just avoid bursting into laughter when he saw the change of the look on the boy?s face.

?Yes, I know him,? Zane replied, ?unfortunately.?

?I understand what you mean,? Lance smiled. ?He may not be the smoothest person in making friends or the most caring Trainer, but he sure knows what?s right and what?s not. He helped me battle Team Rocket at Cerulean?s entrance of Mt. Moon.?

?And he helped us battle them again yesterday, just past the Nugget Bridge,? Bill added.

?Okay, that?s true,? Zane admitted, but not heartily.

?I think he?ll get far,? Lance stated. ?The League is definitely reachable for him. And, no doubt, you?ll get there too.?

?I?m sure of it,? Bill agreed. ?About both of them.?

Lance nodded, ?You might find yourself stuck at some point, but you should never give up. No matter how steep the mountain, how strong the opponent, how dark the cave, how hateable the rival, how difficult the question, or how long the road, you?ll figure out how to beat your challenge. That?s how Orion and Giovanni became Gym Leaders, how Lorelei and I won the League, how Samuel became the Pok?mon Professor, and how Bill got to be the Pok?Maniac.?

Bill and Zane nodded, one in agreement, the other in understanding.

?But you have to remember,? the man continued, ?there are always friends that will help you, Pok?mon that will defend you, and, one day, a partner that will love you.? He turned around to his Dragonite.

?This one was just a tiny Dratini when I got him from my uncle, Derek. Look where he is now. The same will become of your Bulbasaur, your Krabby, and all the others, but only if you keep faith in them, and in yourself as well.?

?I will,? Zane assured.

?Then why are you still standing here?? Lance asked. ?Go to Cerulean and challenge Misty. Go through Kanto and defeat all the Gym Leaders. Go to the Indigo Plateau and win the League.?

Zane nodded with a confident smile on his face. He told the two men goodbye and went back to the northernmost City in Kanto.

Years
21. The Cascade Badge

Zane walked back to Cerulean City. Back to the place where he fought Team Rocket with Bill and Kelvin. Back over the Nugget Bridge. Back through the gate into the city. Back into the TRC, and back onto the battlefields to see if anything interesting was happening.

The best battle that was going on was already more than halfway through. It was between Rosemary Ramos, from Lavender Town, and the Saffronian Stuart Watson. The former told her Farfetch'd to attack the opposing Pidgeotto with Aerial Ace.

'Not going to do much,' Zane thought. The contrary was true. Even though Pidgeotto was still at full health, Aerial Ace caused him to faint immediately. Zane would later learn that this Farfetch'd had the Defiant Ability, just like his own Mankey. Because Stuart didn't know this, he had lowered his opponent's Accuracy, Special Defense, and even Speed without knowing that this all raised the Pokémon's Physical Attack.

Stuart's second-last Pokémon was his Slowpoke, who got to attack before Farfetch'd. He told his Water Type to use Yawn, which would make the light-blue haired girl's Pokémon fall asleep after she'd use one more attack, which was Aerial Ace to defeat the brown-skinned boy's Slowpoke. While Stuart sent out his last Pokémon, Blastoise, Rosemary's Flying Type dozed off. This made Squirtle's second evolution able to use Water Pulse, which wasn't enough to defeat Farfetch'd in one hit. However, the Flying Type was still sleeping, so another Water Pulse could be used to now knock her out.

Zane saw that Stuart started gnawing on the left side of his lower lip, which made the small bit of frizzy blond hair just underneath his mouth stick out a bit. This was, apparently, what he always did when he was thinking about something. This gave Zane some time to look at the two fighters. He noticed that the blue eyes of Stuart had a little lighter tone than Rosemary's hair, while his own hair was a darker shade of the yellow in his opponent's eyes. She wore a vertically striped green shirt, while he had a light brown coat, which had the same color as himself, covering his white t-shirt with a red edge. Rosemary's face was egg-shaped, while the form of Stuart's head reminded Zane of an upside-down slice of bread. This, added to the boy's broad shoulders, made him look somewhat bulky. Rosemary, on the other hand, was even shorter than Red, maybe even Green was taller than her. Zane came to the conclusion that the two Trainers didn't look like each other at all, the only thing the two had in common was the odiously smug smirk on both faces. The Palletan boy realized that it would be for the better if he just ignored them for now.

The battle had already continued, with Rosemary sending out her Starmie, which was defeated by Blastoise's Bite. After this, she had sent out Seadra, who she let use Focus Energy. Stuart's Water Type used Bite again but didn't realize that his opponent had the Poison Point Ability, which, like the name suggests, poisoned Blastoise after he had hit Rosemary's Pokémon. That one went on to use Twister, which was a critical hit thanks to his previous attack. Blastoise used Bite one last time, before fainting due to the combination of his poisoning and Seadra's Twister.

While the judge concluded the battle, Zane already started making his way back into the building. Right before he could walk through the door, he was stopped by three familiar voices.

"Zane!" A girl shouted.

"Long time no seen!" A Viridiane accent added.

"Hoped it would be longer," a third kid added.

Zane turned around and saw two of his friends, together with the sister of Pewter's Gym Leader. Blue and Brown with Yolanda.

"I didn't think you'd already be here," Zane told Brown. "And you've got a new friend?"

"That's right," Yolanda replied. "I'm Brock's little sister."

"I know," Zane responded. "Is Red also here already?"

"No," Brown answered.

"Or he has just arrived," Blue added.

"And how about you?" Zane asked. "Defeated Misty yet?"

Blue shook his head. "I'm going to try again this Sunday."

"In two days?" Yolanda asked. "Why not tomorrow?"

"Because I'm going to challenge her then," Zane replied. Yolanda and Brown laughed, and Blue had a little smile on his face as well.

"Quit laughing and get out of our way!" Someone ordered. The four looked around to see Stuart walking straight at them with Rosemary following close behind. Without giving them a chance to react, the boy bashed right through their group, causing Yolanda to fall to the ground.

"Look where you're walking!" Brown shouted. Stuart looked at him with a threatening look in his eyes. He grabbed Brown by his shirt and clenched his fist.

"How dare you talk to me like that, you little…" He tried punching the smaller boy in the face, but his hand was stopped by a mysterious person with ash brown hair. The lower end of the man's long brown coat fell down against his legs again after being blown back by the wind.

"Look out who you're messing with," 100 KR warned. "Or even better, don't mess with anyone."

"Why would I listen to an old man like you," Stuart replied.

"Old would be an understatement," the mysterious man smiled. "Anyway. Just leave, or you'll regret ever meeting those four."

Stuart's confidence left him alone now, not because of 100 KR's words, but because of the warning tone in his voice and the angry, but calm look in his eyes. The boy swallowed his words and figured that he had lost this word fight. Without saying anything more, he grabbed his girlfriend's hand and ran off into the TRC. Everyone looked with either surprise or pure amazement at the fleeing duo. But when they all looked back to see the man who caused this, he had already disappeared.

'How does he do that?' Zane wondered yet again.

It was only when he couldn't find the exit of Rock Tunnel that Kelvin realized that he should've prepared better. First of all, his blue leather jacket wasn't enough to protect him from the cold inside the deep caves. Second, it was so dark that he couldn't even see his own shoes. Third, those noises were everywhere. Some of them were Zubat and Geodude, he knew those cries, but others he had never heard before. And, to top it all, he was all on his own. His Pokémon had fainted, his flashlight had broken, and he lost his bag with his Poké Balls, Potions, Revives, and all his other items.

'I screwed up,' he figured. 'How, by Articuno's freezing claws, am I going to get out of here?'

GRAAAV

'Oh please no,' Kelvin thought.

"So that was a Graveler?" A female voice asked.

"No Judy, that was a Magikarp." A man sarcastically replied.

"Who's there?" Kelvin asked. "Can you help me?" The two voices didn't react for a few seconds.

"I'm Jeff Boggs," the man finally replied. "And she's Judy Haynes."

"Where exactly are you?" Kelvin asked. "It's quite dark in here, so I can't see you."

"We know, Kelvin," Judy replied. "That's the idea."

"How do you know my name?" The boy informed.

Instead of a response, he heard Pokémon being sent out.

"You are the one who helped our enemy," Jeff stated.

"Which means that you're our enemy as well."

"Who did I help?" Kelvin asked.

"Zane Patterson, the boy from Pallet Town."

"In what way did I ever…" but before the Viridiane boy could finish his question, he already knew the answer. "You two are Team Rocket grunts, am I right?"

"You sure are," Jeff confirmed.

"And like Patterson would've in Viridian Forest," Judy added. "We need you to conveniently disappear."

Without the grunts having to tell them, their Pokémon attacked Kelvin. First, Judy's Arbok slammed her tail against the boy's legs, causing him to fall down and bang his head on the cold rocky floor. Then, Jeff's Geodude, floating above Kelvin's face, punched the left side of the boy's jaw with his small but muscular stone arms. This was the last thing Kelvin would be aware of for quite a long time.

The next day, when Yolanda walked into the dining room for her breakfast, she saw Zane sitting there all alone on a bench on the other side of the room.

"Why are you still here?" She asked once she got there. "You said you'd challenge Misty as soon as you got up."

"I was going to," Zane explained. "But then I remembered that my dad's birthday is in two days. I'm writing a letter to him now."

"When was he born?"

"Twenty-second of April in 3220."

"So he's turning … 38, right?"

"Yup," Zane confirmed.

"Well, congratulations to him from me as well."

"I'll tell him," the boy smiled back.

"Something else now," the girl stated. "How well do you know Brown?"

"We've been friends since I was four years old, together with Blue, Red, and Grey. I guess I know him pretty well."

"How do you think I can get him to like me more?"

Zane raised his right eyebrow. "He… uhm, he likes fast things."

"In what way?" Yolanda asked. "Well, we met when we watched the Pokémon Race through Route 1 a few years ago. He is completely obsessed with racing and things like that. He knew the Pokémon of each Trainer, their names, their results, and, well, everything."

"Do you think he'd like a Rapidash Race?"

"No, he's scared of Ponyta and Rapidash, I have no idea why. An Arcanine Race would be a better idea."

"Great," Yolanda exclaimed. "Can you keep a secret?" She now looked him straight in the eyes with her oval dark brown eyes. Zane was too shy to look her right in the face, so his eyes dwelled of to her dark red hair, her brown-green shirt, the silver pendant hanging around her neck, the sign on the wall behind her, the small cracks in the wooden tables, and some more things.

"I think so," he answered. Yolanda smiled, she had noticed that the boy's face started turning a bit red.

"I think I like Brown," she whispered. "As in, I really like him."

Zane nodded, "that was clear enough."

"You promise you won't tell him, right?"

"Of course," he immediately answered. "And good luck."

"Thanks," Yolanda smiled. "And have fun in your battle against Misty, I'm going to get my breakfast."

Zane smiled back, "I sure will."

Dear dad,

Happy birthday!

I'm in Cerulean City right now, and I'm going to challenge Misty after I've finished this letter. Bulbasaur will make that an easy battle. You already know about my Mankey and Spearow, but I've also caught a Clefairy in Mt. Moon and a Krabby on the Northern Cape. I haven't seen Nick yet, but I hope it'll happen before he's at the Indigo Plateau.
I've also made a new friend, Bill Shaw, he lives north of Cerulean City with his girlfriend, but I still don't know who she is. Brown has made a new friend as well, Yolanda Rokes, Brock's sister. She's traveling with him right now, and they're both in Cerulean, just like Blue.
Anyway, happy 38th birthday, and I hope I'll see you again soon!

Kind regards,
Zane

'That'll be it,' the Palletan boy thought. 'Now let's go to the Gym.' He placed the letter in the envelope, closed it, wrote his father's name and address on the back, and put it on the post bus on his way south.

The Cerulean Gym was right in the center of the city. When there weren't any Gym Battles going on, like when Zane entered the building, it functioned as a swimming pool. There were six main baths. One for the older people that wanted to wanted to swim a few slow laps with their Pokémon. The second was mainly for the toddlers, where they could play with Psyduck and Slowpoke, and a third was for the children that were still learning to swim and their teacher, a woman about the same age as Brock. The fourth bath was for the actual fast swimmers, while the fifth functioned as a water polo pool. The sixth bath, the biggest of them all, was the one with a wooden bridge over it. Only Pokémon were swimming it, with some of them resting on the bottom, and others jumping over the bridge and it's many branches to show their capabilities.

"I, Zane Patterson from Pallet Town, am here to challenge Misty Wells for a Gym Battle," the brown-haired boy shouted. Most of the older and youngest swimmers kept doing what they were doing, but some of them stopped to get the best places for watching the Gym Battle that was about to start. The polo players kept their game going, but all of the fast swimmers got out of the water to look at the battle as well, while the swimming teacher told the children to have some fun and walked to the main bath as well. Instead of going to stand next to the pool like the other swimmers, she went to stand on the platform on the opposite side of Zane.

"You're the first challenger since the new baths were opened," she said. "Let's see how good you are, your challenge has been accepted. Which Pokémon and Badges do you have?" While Zane answered, the orange-haired girl called for a judge.

"I'll use Poliwhirl, Wartortle, and Starmie," she announced. After which all but three of her Pokémon got out of the water.

"The Gym Battle between the challenger, Zane Patterson from Pallet Town, and the Gym Leader, Misty Wells from Cerulean City, will now get underway," the judge shouted. The girl in her bright yellow swimsuit, meanwhile, tied her orange hair in a ponytail but kept looking at her opponent with her ocean blue eyes.

"Both Trainers may only use the Pokémon they named earlier. Furthermore, both Trainers may substitute their Pokémon. Let the Gym battle begin!" Wartortle went to stand beside Misty, while Starmie kept lying on the bottom, and Poliwhirl jumped onto the center bridge.

"Bulbasaur!" Zane shouted. "Use Vine Whip!" Poliwhirl tried to put the Grass Type to sleep by using Hypnosis, but her attack missed. However, she did manage to put Zane's Pokémon asleep on her second try, after another Vine Whip. During the time Bulbasaur was sleeping, Poliwhirl hit him six times in total with her white glove-like hands, but she got beaten by the first Vine Whip after the Grass Type woke up again.

Misty thanked her Poliwhirl and returned her to a Poké Ball to take her to the PMC later. Then, she looked at her Wartortle standing next to her, they both nodded. The Water Type jumped into the pool and started swimming at high speed. Zane told Bulbasaur to use Vine Whip as often as he could, but the Pokémon couldn't keep track of his opponent. Suddenly, Wartortle jumped out of the water and Tackled the Grass Type, after which she instantly dove back into the water. Bulbasaur got even more confused by this, and after Wartortle pulled the same trick again, Zane's Pokémon collapsed, fainted.

'Darn it,' the Palletan boy thought. 'He was meant to stay in the entire battle.' He figured that Mankey would be the best choice to fight Wartortle. After the Fighting Type had used Leer twice, and Wartortle slowed him down with Bubble, Zane thought that it was time to attack. When the Water Type jumped out of the bath to use Bubble again, Mankey used Karate Chop, with his increased physical power because of Defiant, to defeat his opponent in one blow.

Misty recalled her second Pokémon as well, after which a beam of red light shot out of the water. As the ray of light got brighter and brighter, the Gym Leader's last Pokémon started rising from the bottom of the pool. The beam was being emitted from the gem in the center of the gold shape on the front of Starmie. The Water Type had one primary set of five violet arms, with a second attached to its back, spinning around at high speed, which caused the Pokémon to rise from the water and land on the bridge. The beam of light faded, and the Gym Leader ordered her Pokémon to use Swift. Mankey tried to attack with Fury Swipes, but Starmie's high speed made it able to use another Swift sooner, so Zane's Fighting Type fainted before his opponent could even be harmed. The only thing his next Pokémon, Spearow, could do, was using Fury Swipes twice before he got defeated by Starmie as well.

'This might work out,' Zane thought, while he put one Poké Ball away for another.

"Clefairy, use Sing!" Luckily, the attack, with an accuracy of 55%, hit Starmie and put it to sleep, causing the gem on its front to turn green. Clefairy used Disarming Voice several times, but then Starmie woke up again. After the Water Type used Swift, Zane hoped for the best when he told his Fairy Type to use Sing, and he got it. The attack hit again, giving his Pokémon another chance to strike four times with Disarming Voice. Starmie used Swift again after his second nap, which was countered with one last Disarming Voice. Misty's Pokémon used the final Swift that was needed to beat Zane's fourth Pokémon.

His fifth and last was his own Water Type, Krabby. The crowd that was watching loved the battle. Both Trainers down to their last resort, one being stronger the other, but also heavily damaged, while the other had just been sent out. Both of the same Type, both having to deliver the decisive blow in this fight.

"Starmie!" Misty shouted. "Keep using Swift! That Krabby can't even come close to beating you!"

"Krabby!" Zane reacted. "Don't listen to her, I know you can do it! Use Vice Grip!" Misty's Pokémon was able to do damage nearly equal to the amount of damage Krabby could take, while that one took away more than half of Starmie's remaining health. The violet Pokémon's gem had already turned orange before, but it was as bright orange now as it was red at the start of the battle. Zane knew that he had won this battle, if there just weren't any critical hits. There was one, but not from Misty's side. After Starmie's last Swift, Krabby managed to make the final move in the battle, his Vice Grip, a critical hit.

"Starmie is unable to continue," the judge decided. "Meaning that Zane Patterson, from Pallet Town, has won the battle, thereby officially earning the Cascade Badge."

Misty returned her last Pokémon in its Ultra Ball, placed the three Poké Balls on the platform, and dove into the water to Zane's side of the field. Once she had climbed out of the pool, she told Zane to stretch out his hand, after which she put something in his hand, his own Cascade Badge.

'This Badge,' Zane thought. 'I have seen this Badge before.' No matter how hard he tried, he couldn't remember when and where he had seen the light blue raindrop before. He did remember when he saw a shiny Eevee running over the bridge, followed by a Dratini, a Voltorb, and a Clefairy. He was entirely sure by the time a Magneton and a shiny Golbat had also flown towards him.

"Surprise, surprise," a familiar voice said. Zane turned around and recognized the dark blue jacket and fedora that Bill wore again that day.

"Like I told you," the PokéManiac continued. "You'd find out soon enough who my girlfriend is."

"Again?" Misty asked. "On how many more Trainers are you going to pull this joke?"

"As many as meet me before they battle you," Bill laughed. Zane, however, still hadn't fully realized what the man had just told him.

Misty saw the confusion on the boy's face and decided to clarify what Bill meant. "I'm his girlfriend, and I still don't know why." Bill laughed again.

"And let's just say," she continued, with a jokingly annoyed look at her boyfriend, "you're not the first Trainer he's done this with." Zane turned back around to Bill, who still had a big smile on his face.

"Congratulations with your Cascade Badge," the PokéManiac said. "I've seen that battle, it was quite impressive." Zane nodded a thank you, after which Misty continued.

"Are you going east or south now?"

"I think it'll be south, to Saffron City."

"Challenging Sabrina next," Bill noted. "Curious how that would end."

"If you fight like this all the time," Misty added. "You'll be at the Indigo Plateau in no time."

"But beware of Team Rocket," Bill added. "We might've beaten them twice already, but they'll come back for both of us and that Kelvin boy."

"I know," Zane replied, "but it's them that should watch out."

Bill laughed. "Of course they should."

"Now get going," Misty interrupted. "There are still six more Badges for you to get."

Zane nodded. "And I'll get them all."

"Guys," Kevin shouted. "I've beaten him!" About twenty minutes earlier, while Blue had just gone to rechallenge Misty, Kevin did the same to Lieutenant Surge. The Vermiliane Gym Leader's Magnemite and Electrode hadn't been able to defeat Houndour, Machop, and Tentacool. The latter was Kevin's last Pokémon, which had used Poison Sting to defeat Surge's Electrode.

"Good job," Gray praised. One of the twins was as enthusiastic about it as she usually was, while the other was as disinterested as usual. Kevin's sister was, just like Tanya, happy about her brother's third Gym Badge.

"Hey," Tara started. "I heard that the battlefields have just opened."

"Then let's go!" Kevin decided.

"I'm not coming with you," Lola replied.

"Why not, sis?" Tanya asked. "You know it'll be fun."

"Nah," the other Clayton answered, "I don't feel like it."

"And I'm going to drink something first," Gray interrupted.

"Then we'll go already," Kevin replied. "I'll see you there."

The tall boy nodded and went back to the break room to get himself a Lemonade. When he got back, he saw Lola sitting alone at a table, staring out of a window.

"Hey," Gray started. No reaction. "Why don't you just have some fun like the others?"

"Like I said," Lola stated. "I don't feel like it right now."

"But I don't think that you ever do, am I right?" The boy with white hair asked.

Lola shrugged, "they're just too… busy for me."

"They definitely aren't the quietest people, that's true," Gray commented. "But why don't you just try to go along with that?"

"I've already tried," the orange-eyed girl stated. "Many times. But it just doesn't work between them and me." Gray nodded while looking out of the window as well, noticing some wild Pokémon enjoying the first rays of sunlight that spring.

"I didn't know Nidoran can appear here, in the center of Kanto," the Palletan boy stated.

"I don't think they do, actually," Lola admitted.

"That means we're both wrong, I think," the boy noted. Lola laughed.

'See,' Gray thought, 'she can laugh.'

Around this time, Blue had also managed to finally beat Misty on his second try.

"What about a battle between the two of you?" Yolanda suggested.

"Great idea," Brown agreed. "Let's see which one of you is the better at the moment."

Blue nodded, "sure. I'll win anyway."

"And I'll do my best to prevent that," Zane replied.

"That's settled then," Yolanda concluded. "To the battlefields!" The four went outside, and Zane went to ask where they could have a battle. A few minutes later, he and his friend stood on opposite sides of the sandy field, both ready to throw out their first Poké Ball.

"The single battle between Blue Oak and Zane Patterson will now get underway. Both Trainers may use two Pokémon. Furthermore, both Trainers are allowed to substitute their Pokémon. Let the battle begin!"

"Go! Squirtle!"

"I'm counting on you, Bulbasaur!"

The two boys shouted at the same time. Blue's Water Type was the first to attack, using Tail Whip to lower the opponent's physical defense, while Zane's Pokémon used Leech Seed so that he would regain some health at the end of each of Squirtle's moves. This was followed by the blue Pokémon using Tackle, while the green one used Vine Whip to defeat Blue's first Pokémon in two hits. The orange-haired boy's other Pokémon was his Nidoran, who was strong enough to almost defeat Bulbasaur with one Peck. Before the Poison Type used a second attack, Bulbasaur managed to use Leech Seed on his second Pokémon as well, giving the extra health to Zane's Krabby after he had fainted. Krabby, who Zane had captured only three days earlier, was quite a lot weaker than Nidoran, who had been with Blue since Viridian City, almost three weeks now. The only advantage the reddish Pokémon had, was the Leech Seed of Bulbasaur. Nidoran tried to poison him with Poison Sting, but it did nothing more than just a bit of damage. Unlike Krabby's Vice Grip, which did a surprisingly high amount of damage. The poisoning did succeed this time, while Krabby used his strong attack again.

"Keep using Vice Grip!" Zane encouraged.

"Start using Double Kick now!" Blue countered.

Even though Nidoran's attack did seem to do much damage, the Water Type just kept on going. Even after Double Kick hit him six times in a row, Zane's Pokémon didn't look like he took notice of it. With two more Vice Grips, the battle was finished, and both Trainers were left stunned by Krabby's enormous power.

"You caught him in the wild, right?" Blue asked.

"Yup," Zane proudly replied, after petting his small Pokémon.

"Then how, by Zapdos' electrifying wings, can he be so strong?"

"I have no idea," Zane admitted. "But I'm definitely not complaining about that." Blue returned his Nidoran while shaking his head. The two Trainers went off the field to go back to their friends.

"That Water Type of yours was amazing," Yolanda praised.

"That one's going to be an important part of your final team," Brown added.

Zane nodded, "I'm sure about that." He was carrying the 14 pounds heavy Pokémon on the height of his chest. "Let's take you to the PMC," he said, which seemed to cheer the Water Type up. Yolanda and Brown returned to the TRC, while the two Palletan boys went to let their Pokémon be healed, still talking about their fight.

One day later, the 22nd of April in 3258, there was much to do in Pallet Town, as their second-most famous resident was celebrating his birthday that day. When Brenda and Dwayne, Blue's parents, entered the house together with Samuel Oak, Shawn and Roni Newman were already there. A few minutes later, Brown's parents, Cade and Maddy, also arrived, with Ruth Hudson following close behind.

After the families of the five friends, the last two to come to Orion's home were two of his old friends. One of them, Conrad Huff, had bright red hair and a scar over his left eye, covered by a black eyepatch. His beard, like his hair, accentuated the dark color of the man's skin.

The other, Lance Draken, had darker red hair, and he wore a leather jacket with the same color as his companion's hair. The two of them and Orion had traveled through Kanto when they were about the same age as Zane and the other four were right now. They went on their journeys together with Giovanni Olson and Caleb Hudson, Ruth's husband.

"Your son's doing well, by the way," Lance said at a certain point during the party. "I met him a few days ago on the Northern Cape."

"Really?" Orion asked. "He didn't write anything about that in his letter."

"Maybe he knew that I'd be here to tell you anyway," the League winner guessed. "But what I wanted to tell, was that he was having a battle with Bill against a wild Venusaur."

"Wait a second," Conrad interrupted. "Was it, like, bigger and more powerful than normal?"

"I think so," Lance answered. "She took a few of Dragonite's Wing Attack while both of my Dragonair were fighting her at the same time."

"Then I'll have to talk with my colleague about this," the other replied.

"And that person is?" Orion asked.

"I can't tell you his real name, since I don't actually know it," Conrad admitted. "But his codename is 100 KR. There's nothing else I know about him."

"By the way," Lance noted. "Isn't Kirk coming?"

"I was looking for him as well," the scarred man added.

"It's just typical of him to not make an appearance on his brother's birthday," Orion admitted. "Why would he? There's nothing that he cares about less than family." The other two men nodded.

Four hours later, after all the guests had left, the three Pattersons sat down on the sofa in their living room.

"Well, that's done again," Petra said. "Who's up next?"

"Samuel," Orion answered. "Eighteenth of may."

"Less than a month from now," Kiara noted.

Petra nodded, "Have we heard anything about Zane and Nick?"

"Yes, we have," Orion answered. "Zane has already obtained his Boulder Badge with Bulbasaur, Spearow, Mankey, Clefairy, and Krabby. I expect him to have defeated Misty as well by now, he wrote that he'd challenge her after sending this letter, which was the day before yesterday."

"And what about Nick?"

"His Dratini has evolved, and he's beaten the Lieutenant. He's now in Fuchsia City to challenge Koga."

"And Zane's still in Cerulean?" Kiara asked.

"I suppose he is," Orion responded. "But I'm not entirely sure about that."

"Anyway," Petra interrupted. "It's getting late. Kiara, you should go to bed."

Zane's twin sister nodded, "Good night."

"Sleep well," Orion returned.

Years
22. Southwards

Two days after Orion's birthday, Yellow rechallenged Brock Rokes, the Gym Leader in the second city north of Pallet Town. The Rock-Type specialist had already kept her from obtaining her Boulder Badge before, but the blond-haired girl was confident about her new tactic.

"I, Yellow Hudson from Pallet Town, am here to challenge Brock Rokes for a Gym Battle." The light in the Gym flashed on, as the man on the other side turned around on his stone pedestal. "You're that jolly girl, right?" The Gym Leader asked. "Yup," Yellow laughed back. "Tell me what your Pokémon are." "Still the same as last time, Electra and Momus." "Pikachu and Rattata, if I'm correct?" "That's right," the Palletan girl confirmed. Brock nodded, "then I'll use the same as last time as well, Kabuto and Omanyte!"

The Judge announced the battle, naming both Trainers' names, which Pokémon they were allowed to use, and the other rules of the fight. After he was done talking, both Yellow and Brock sent out their first Pokémon. Kabuto versus Electra. The latter was the first to attack. Around her tail, an electric orb formed, which she hurled at her opponent. Brock's Pokémon replied with Rain Dance, the same as the first battle between these two Trainers. Both of the Leader's Pokémon had the Swift Swim Ability, which made them faster in the rain. Furthermore, the rain turned the sandy floor of the Gym into a mud pool, causing Yellow's Pokémon to slow down. Brock's Pokémon was faster this time, and he scratched his opponent several times before being defeated by the jolt of thunder that crashed down on him.

"Good job," Brock praised. "You've come further than in our first fight." Yellow nodded. That other battle had resulted in a loss for Yellow, without her being able to defeat even one of the Leader's Pokémon. Now she had, which made it necessary for Brock to send out his Omanyte. This one was faster than Electra as well, and he used a blob of mud to damage the small yellow Pokémon. This Attack hit the Electric Type right in her face and even slowed her down some more. It didn't matter, as she could use only one last move anyway. The Thunder Shock took away about half of Omanyte's total health by hitting his shell, but the Rock Type shot another glob of mud to defeat Pikachu. "Thanks, Electra," Yellow said, while she returned her first Pokémon. "Momus, finish this battle!" The purple Pokémon bit his opponent's blue tentacles. Omanyte hurled another ball of mud, his only Attack so far, to slow the Normal Type down. The last few raindrops of Kabuto's Rain Dance fell down, after which Momus spent a couple of minutes avoiding Omanyte's Attacks to wait for the floor to turn into dry sand again. After the heating inside the Gym had done its job, Yellow ordered her Rattata to bite again. Brock's Pokémon, however, retreated into his shell to make Momus' teeth hit the hard rock instead of the vulnerable tentacles. Omanyte got out of his shell to attack, but Rattata's speed wasn't reduced by the mud anymore, and the Rock Type's wasn't increased by his Ability. Momus was fast enough to quickly bite his opponent again, which surprised the Leader's Pokémon and thus hurt him more than usually.

Yellow shouted of happiness when she realized that the battle was won. Brock smiled, "Well done." While both Trainers returned their Pokémon, three children, two small and one tall, entered the building. The short girl with piercing green eyes was the first to congratulate her friend on her Boulder Badge. Following Ira was Bethany, the tall girl with sky-blue hair. "Finally," she smiled. "Why'd that have to take so long?" Yellow laughed with her, while Ira had a final chat with the Gym Leader of her home city. The only boy in the group of four, Red, was the last to walk to Yellow and tell her "Well, uhm… Good job."

Once Ira and Brock finished talking, the four children decided to leave the Gym and head for Mt. Moon. After they had gone to the PMC to heal Yellow's Pokémon, Pewter City was finally left by the last four adventurers. "Capper," Yellow started, "are you going to catch a second Pokémon before you're fighting Misty?" "I think that's a good idea," Bethany agreed. "I probably will," the short boy confirmed. "I, ehm, can't defeat her with, uh, just Charmander." "But you've managed to beat Brock with just him as well," Ira said. "That's true," Yellow replied, "but he was pretty lucky. He won't always be." The Pewterian girl nodded. The three girls kept on discussing whether or not Red should capture another Pokémon, while the boy himself walked behind them, smiling because he already knew what Pokémon he'd be looking out for in the mountain.

Zane closed the door of the TRC behind him and went southwards to Saffron City. It had been exactly one week since he defeated the Ceruleane Gym Leader, so he thought it was time to leave the northern city. Blue had already left the day before to head towards the center city of Kanto. While Zane made his way over and between the hills of Route 5, he noticed a nice place to take a rest in the shadow of a big tree at the edge of the west side of the sand path. He placed his bag against the trunk of the maple and took three small lunch boxes and a bottle of water out of it. Next, he brought out his five Pokémon. Mankey and Bulbasaur got confused when they realized that they didn't have to battle, while the other three looked at their Trainer, expecting him to tell what they had to do.

Instead, Zane opened the lunch boxes and divided their contents into six equally big portions. Each of his Pokémon got the same amount of everything: five sweet Pecha Berries and three sour Aspear Berries, one piece of chocolate, and some leftover Magikarp Sushi. All five also got to drink from one of the bottles, while their Trainer sipped from the other, looking around and enjoying this short break. Route 5 was quite a beautiful place with the small hills covered by fresh green grass and trees on both sides of the light brown sand path. There was enough light in the small forests because they weren't too dense with maple trees and the leaves had only started growing on the branches recently.

Wild Pokémon were all over the route. Caterpie and Weedle crawling through the bushes, Poliwag and Psyduck playing in the small pool between a couple of hills, and Nidoran and Ponyta running around on those hills. In the north, the contours of Cerulean City could still be seen clearly with the imposing peaks of the Kantonian Mountain Range a bit west of the city. To the south, however, the skyline of the region's biggest city was already visible. The headquarters of the Silph- and the Sakaki Company towered over the other buildings in the Saffron Business Complex, which, on their turn, were at least twice as high as the residential buildings.

When he looked back at his Pokémon, Zane noticed that his Mankey and Bulbasaur had already become friends. The Fighting Type didn't like the sweet taste of the Pecha Berries, so he traded three of them with Bulbasaur's Aspear Berries. Zane's Starter didn't dislike those, but he loved the sweet Berries even more than his Trainer did, so the trade was a done deal. Clefairy and Krabby were quietly enjoying their meals, while Spearow had already devoured everything except for his piece of chocolate. When the Flying Type swallowed his last Berry, another Pokémon flew down from the tree and picked Spearow's chocolate and flew away with it into the small forest. Enraged by this, Zane's Pokémon immediately started chasing the wild Pokémon. The Palletan boy tried to recall him by shouting that Spearow could have his piece, but it was in vain. This wasn't so much about the food, but rather a case of pride.

Zane heard two short growls of agreement coming from his left. They came from Bulbasaur and Mankey. The two Pokémon nodded at each other and started running after Spearow and the wild Pokémon. Again, Zane's attempts to stop them had no use, only Krabby and Clefairy stayed with him. "You two," the brown-haired boy commanded while packing his bag, "come with me. We're getting our friends."

"Mankey! Bulbasaur! Spearow!" Zane shouted, but his Pokémon were too far ahead. The Palletan boy had already decided that it was probably a Fearow that had stolen one of Spearow's berries. This would mean that his other two Pokémon that went into the woods before him, the Fighting Pokémon he caught atop the Silph Tower in Viridian and the Grass Type that he got from Professor Oak, were in big trouble. As he got further into the forest with his Krabby and Clefairy, he noticed that a flock of Pidgey was gathering a bit to the west. 'Please don't tell me that's their fault,' Zane prayed. Unfortunately, it was.

He followed the flying Pokémon to the place where Bulbasaur and Mankey had already been defeated by their wild opponents. "Spearow!" The brown-haired boy shouted. "Come back here!" This drew the attention of the Pidgey, which was not good for Zane. There were not just fifteen to twenty of them, but more like fifty to sixty. More importantly, it was their leader who started attacking the Palletan boy first.

The Pokémon was cream-colored and had brown feather covering almost her entire body. Only on her underside, the end of her wings and her face could the actual color of her body be seen. Her small beak and thin legs were pink, and there were black angular markings on the sides of her face, starting behind her eyes. There was a crest of red feathers on her head and a plumage of alternating red and yellow ragged feathers as her tail. Zane knew that he had to be careful, as the Professor had warned him and the rest of the group many times that Pidgeotto were nothing like their pre-evolution, in that Pidgey were mostly peaceful Pokémon.

"Clefairy," Zane calmly, but clearly, said, "use Sing to put them to sleep. We need to get out of here." The Fairy Type did as her Trainer told her, and about half of the Pidgey fell asleep, as well as the Pidgeotto. "Now run, come on!" Spearow, however, still wanted his revenge and started attacking the leader of the flock. 'Darn it,' Zane thought. "Let's get this done, then," he shouted. "Krabby, use Vice Grip on the Pidgey. Clefairy, you have to put the wild Pokémon to sleep again when they wake up." The two obedient Pokémon growled as a sign of understanding, and Krabby started crushing the Flying Types with his pincers. Spearow kept hitting the Pidgeotto's back with his beak, while the Pidgey fainted one by one.

Suddenly, Pidgeotto flew up in the air, and the look in her eyes was everything but pleased. "Look out!" Zane shouted, but he was too late. The wild Pokémon flew to Clefairy and used her wide-spread wings to defeat her with one hit, immediately followed by a gust of wind sent to take out Spearow. "Krabby!" The boy shouted. "Vice Grip on Pidgeotto!" Again, the Water Type's attack seemed to be the strongest in existence, as Krabby only had to grip and squeeze only once to take out Pidgeotto. "Amazing!" Zane shouted. "Now let's get out of here!" Krabby nodded and crawled back to the hills of Route 5, sideways. His Trainer returned Spearow and Clefairy in their respective Poké Balls and followed his orange Pokémon. The Pidgey chased them but gave up when their opponents reached the open area and a loud screech came from the sky. A giant Pokémon took off from Saffron City towards the Northern Cape. "A Pidgeot," Zane said, impressed by the enormous size of the Flying Type. "That one's even bigger than dad's Mega Pidgeot." Krabby also followed the Flying Pokémon with his eyes until it disappeared behind the hills.

"And who might you be?" A girl asked.

The day after Zane's picnic, Sunday the 28th, Blake decided to go to the enormous business complex right in the middle of Saffron City. The brown-eyed boy had always thought the Celadon shopping mall to be a tall building, but the towers here made it look like some kind of bitty shed. The two biggest, Silph's and Sakaki's, were over a thousand feet high, while the others were all two- to eight hundred feet. Blake couldn't even see the sun because he stood in the shadow of the Poké Mart Headquarters.

The streets between the offices were crammed with people trying to get to their work or away from it. Men and women, people that had just been employed and people that were fired a few minutes ago, some with more than forty years of experience, some with none at all. The only thing they had in common was that they were all wearing dark suits over white blouses with black shoes and trousers on their feet and legs. Actually, almost the entire business complex was just black and white with tiny bits of gray here and there. 'Everything looks so… dead.' Blake thought. The towers were basically blocks of white brick, hollowed out, decorated with some windows and doors, black doors, stacked on top of each other to be the highest of all the towers. Looking around, Blake also noticed that there weren't any smiles at all, every single person there was either angry, sad, or nervous. 'No surprise,' the Celadonian thought, 'this place just takes every positive feeling and turns them around.' He decided that it was for the best to turn around and never come back to the center of Saffron City.

He made his way back to the TRC but was disturbed on his way there. An explosion at the Pokémon Center next to the Gym in the northeast of the city. When he arrived, he saw the building that had been the target, which was not quite a building anymore.

The explosion had come from inside, blasting out the door and bursting a hole through the roof. The heavily damaged walls broke down, and the last standing bits of the house to fell down as well, right when Blake arrived. A crowd started gathering around the scene, while some people were helping a man who had run outside of the building right before it was blown apart.

"Conrad!" Blake shouted. He had recognized the man immediately. There weren't many people with bright red hair and a scar running along their face. A few scratches were new on his face because he had been blasted away a few feet after the explosion had happened right behind him.

"Blake," the man replied. "In Saffron already?" Blake ignored the man's comment. "What happened?" "They happened," the ash-covered man replied, pointing at a group of six people in black suits who were trying to escape through the crowd. They didn't get far with the gigantic man picking them all up at the same time. "Need my help again?" Bruno asked. Standing beside the bare-chested muscleman was the wise master of the Fighting Dojo.

The people turned around, and a circle was created around the two men. Blake and Conrad stepped into the circle as well. "What's all this commotion about?" A female voice asked. "Nothing for you to interfere in," Kiyo replied, without even looking at the woman who now entered the circle as well. Her straight dark blue hair fell just over her shoulder, and her crimson red coat covered her body until beneath her knees. Her bright violet eyes showed her annoyance with the noise and her arrogance over Kiyo. "I think I would need to interfere," she continued. "As a matter of fact, an explosion near my Gym interests even me." 'Sabrina,' Blake figured. The Saffronian Gym Leader was the woman who beat Kiyo five years ago. Kiyo failed in defending the Gym title, which had been in the hands of the Fighting Dojo ever since the first Pokémon League season. This was the first season without a Fighting Type Gym in Saffron City, or, for that matter, without one in the League at all.

"We know you are more important than us," Kiyo said. "Oh, just a little reminder couldn't be that bad, could it?" Sabrina asked. "You should stop talking," Bruno warned. "I have some bad guys in my hands, and it's not that difficult to throw them." While he said that, one of the six managed to get out of the man's grip, after which she immediately reached for her belt to get a Poké Ball and send out her Pokémon. It was only now, when the woman stood with her front towards them, that Blake noticed the red R on the chest of her suit. Sabrina noticed it too, "Team Rocket? In Saffron City?" The grunt didn't reply but told her Raticate to tackle Bruno. The massive man had to let the other five ruffians loose to be able to protect himself with crossed arms. The five took their own Poké Balls and threw them in the air.

"Kiyo, Bruno," Conrad shouted. "Help us out here!" He and Blake had already sent out their Pokémon. The Gym Leader had also sent out the two she had with her. The first was her Mr. Mime, who set up a Safeguard to protect her and her allies from any status conditions. Her second one was a yellow Pokémon with a ruff of white fur around her neck. The Psychic Type had two legs and two arms, just like a human, and she held a silver pendulum in her left hand. Her eyes turned purple and emitted some kind of purple pulses when she attacked the grunts' Weezing. "Hypno!" Sabrina shouted. "Hypnosis to put the Raticate to sleep." The Psychic Type started swinging her circular silver pendulum in a steady rhythm. The seven Raticate were captivated by it, not knowing that they would be fast asleep within three seconds.

The next to attack were Kiyo's Pokémon. The two Fighting Types were known as each other's opposites. The first, wearing a purple tunic and red boxing gloves, was a Pokémon recognized by his rapid punches, while the other, with a brown egg-shaped body, was famous for the powerful kicks he executed with the three-clawed feet at the end of his beige segmented legs. Hitmonchan's boxing gloves were used to slam a grunt's Geodude into a wall, while the tiny yellow orbs in the sides of Hitmonlee's feet created flames to make the Fighting Type's kick defeat a Weepinbell.

At the same time, Blake's Kadabra and Beedrill, together with Bruno's Pinsir and Conrad's Dodrio, managed to defeat Team Rocket's Victreebel, and Conrad ordered his Raichu to attack Seadra and Poliwhirl with his sparking tail. The grunts' Murkrow, Persian, Parasect, and Growlithe teamed up to defeat Sabrina's Hypno by biting, slapping, and slashing her simultaneously. The Gym Leader's other Pokémon, Mr. Mime, helped Conrad's one in defeating the opposing Mankey and Poliwhirl using their Psychic powers.

"Houndoom, it's time!" The scarred man shouted while holding the ring he wore on his left hand. "Beyond the limits of regular evolution! Mega Evolve!" Blake saw the arrow at the end of the purple-glowing Houndoom's tail split in two, while the bones all over his back thickened, and the curved horns on his head pointed up with a slight curve in the middle. The skull that hung around his neck grew to be a complex bone structure, with three fang-like shapes at the bottom and two large spikes on both sides. The two bands on each of his hind legs disappeared, while the two on both forelegs cracked in the front. Finally, the black Pokémon's claws started glowing red because of the heat they contained, and three bone bands appeared around his tail.

During this process, two of the seven Raticate woke up and started scratching Kiyo's Hitmonchan's sides. Blake, whose four Pokémon were still alright, ordered his Voltorb to send an electric beam at Murkrow, while his Tangela was already whipping a Rhyhorn on the area of his head behind his horn. Two other Rocket members saw Bruno's Machamp struggle against their Golbat and Scyther, as the five remaining Raticate awoke from their nap and started crunching Conrad's Kingler together with their Trainers' Haunter and Nidorino. Bruno tried to help the scarred man by telling his Machamp to take out the five Raticate, but Golbat, the one that had just beaten the giant's Primeape using his wings, blocked him. The seven Raticate each managed to do their job and jumped onto the Gym Leader's Mr. Mime next.

Team Rocket's Geodude and Rhyhorn used their stone fists and horn respectively to beat Blake's Beedrill and Conrad's Parasect. The grunts' own Parasect and their Scyther saw that the bright-haired man's Mega Houndoom was preparing for an attack, as the bones all over the Dark Type's started glowing red. He opened his mouth, showing his sharp teeth, and he unleashed a strong beam of fire, created by and mixed with the toxins in his guts. Both Pokémon were instantly defeated by the intense heat and painful poison.

There was a pause of a few seconds now, as Team Rocket's Golbat and Sabrina's Mr. Mime were defeated by Machamp's charged punches and the Raticate's crunching jaws respectively. Blake noticed that his Tangela had fainted, as well as Bruno's Pinsir and one of the Raticate. The ruffians told their Machoke, Geodude, Rhyhorn, and Nidorino to attack the Mega Evolved Dark Type. Conrad replied by defeating Growlithe and Haunter with Dodrio's sharp beak and a wild jolt of electricity coming from Raichu's cheeks. Team Rocket's Rhyhorn stomped on the asphalt to make sharp rocks point out of the ground, which rushed at Houndoom and missed him, but they did hit Conrad's Dodrio and threw him in the air and into the ruins of the exploded house. Additionally, Persian slashed Conrad's Mr. Mime, which made the Psychic Type fly back into the crowd, fainted. A few people helped him get up, after which his Trainer returned him into his Luxury Ball.

Blake's Voltorb, meanwhile, hurled an orange orb of sparking electricity at one of the Raticate to defeat her by sending her into the concrete wall of a building. 'A new move,' the Celadonian boy figured. 'Probably Electro Ball.' But before Voltorb could strike again, it was taken down by the five remaining Raticate. Bruno's Machamp took care of two of them by picking them up and slamming them into the ground, while the other three managed to heavily damage Blake's Kadabra with their well-known bites. Before the Psychic Type actually fainted, he could still emit a psychic wave from his spoon to defeat Nidorino. Kiyo's Hitmonlee jumped up high and went back down to break Persian's back with his powerful kick.

Meanwhile, Mega Houndoom could only take out one Geodude with his heated claws before fainting due to the punches coming from Machoke, the jabs by Rhyhorn's sharp horn, and the bites of the three remaining Raticate simultaneously. 'I thought that Mega Evolved Pokémon could do so many incredible things,' Blake wondered. 'But he seems so much weaker than he's supposed to be.' On the other hand, Kiyo told his kicking Pokémon to defeat the last Persian, and Bruno's Machamp took out two more of the Raticate with his lower hands, while one of his upper hands bowled Geodude into a wall.

The Rocket members looked pretty scared for the first time in this battle, they realized that they would probably lose this fight. Kiyo, Bruno, and Conrad still had their Hitmonlee, Machamp, and Raichu, while the grunts only had Raticate, Machoke, and Rhyhorn. The middle of those three got beaten by a thunderbolt from the bright sky, summoned by Raichu, after which Rhyhorn took revenge by digging his horn into the Electric Type's side. Now only the colossal man and his old master had Pokémon left against Team Rocket. Both of the thugs' Pokémon, however, had a weakness against Fighting Types, so there was no chance they were still going to win. The grunts knew that, so they returned both of their Pokémon into their Great Balls and forfeited the fight.

Bruno lifted two of them in the air again, while his Machamp grabbed the other four. "Thanks for helping," Kiyo told Conrad and Blake. "We'll be bringing those six to the police station. No need to worry about them." Conrad nodded, and the Fighting Dojo Master turned around to the Gym Leader. "Not much of a help, were you?" He asked. Sabrina didn't react, nor did Kiyo. The small man turned back around and accompanied Bruno and his Machamp to the northwestern part of the City, where the main police station of Saffron City was located. Without saying any more, Sabrina also walked away, back into her Gym.

Conrad and Blake watched the two go their separate ways again. "When are you going to challenge her?" The orange-haired man asked. "I'm thinking tomorrow," the blond boy replied. "But what happened?" "That's not for you to know," Conrad reacted. "Maybe you'll know the truth in the future, but not today." "And what are you gonna do now?" "I'm leaving for Celadon City," the man replied. "Someone at the university needs my help." "You work there?" Blake was surprised by this.

The Celadon University was widely known for its students, but even more for its teachers. People like Erika Blossom, Lynetta Surge, Samuel Oak, and Agatha Murshid were giving lectures in that building from time to time. All four of them, as well as most of the current Gym Leaders, had once been students at the university. Conrad just didn't strike Blake as the person who'd have anything to do with that. "I don't exactly work there," the scarred man replied. "There's just … an acquaintance of mine who is a teacher there." "An acquaintance?" Blake asked. "Or more?" "That's none of your business," Conrad crassly answered. "This is personal, it hasn't got anything to do with Looker." Blake nodded and decided to let the man leave. "I'll see you around," he concluded. Conrad only replied with a simple "Hmpf."

Back