• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon History ?

Years
  • Seen Jun 13, 2013
So, it came to my attention as I watched one movie, Pokemon 4ever, has a major flaw or I really don't remember the series.
It has been years since I have watched any pokemon. So I'm a little rusty.

In the first series of Pokemon ever, when it came to American tv, Oak said there was ONLY 150 pokemon. As of the second, third, fourth, and so on hundreds of pokemon came out, it became quickly apparent 150 was a lie. Within the first ten minutes of Pokemone 4ever, it shows Oak as a child living with the second generation and first generation pokemon.
-So why in the world would he have ever said only 150?
I had a couple theories;
one; he meant to say 150 native to Kanto. Considering the region he was in/grew up in technically was Johto.
two; this was a mess up by the writers
three; the writers never expected pokemon to continue past 150
four; Oak is a jacka$$.
five; combination of these
In the movie, Celebi takes young Oak back to his real time, so Oak continued to grow up in Johto with the 200+ pokemon.
I just have to ask; it bugs me :)

Powerserge

The Imminent Victor
Years
Dude.....this is Pokemon. This is an anime and a game that is pretty much targeted to a youth audience. it doesn't really matter how many older people play it, children are its target audience. The writers of the franchise don't have to check themselves for that very reason. They are allowed to do whatever they want because children aren't going to care. Will the older people care? Obviously. But our criticisms are merely academic at this point.

Maaan...if you pointed out every continuity error in the Pokemon franchise, you would come to the same conclusion. The writers just don't care. I just pretend that every season. game, and movie of the franchise takes place in a separate alternate universe. That helps me sleep at night....haha!

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
Well, most of the pokemon movies do not link to the normal anime most of the time. Only a few times has a movie been brought up in the series. When he said there was 150 pokemon, he probably meant only what Ash would most likely see. He probably knew that there was more than 150 pokemon. When he went to Bill's Lighthouse. Bill said there is over 150 pokemon and that more were discovered everyday. There was potently over 1000 pokemon on Bill's wall, but they only showed the ones we knew about in Kanto.

mahim

A Legend Reborn
Years
Prof. Oak is a jacka$$.

lol just kidding. But he probably meant to say there are 150 native to Kanto. Simple and solved. Pokemon is probably going to continue for more generations just saying.

Years
It is just that the franchise wanted to see whether the show can go on or not. When they saw how much importance it took they just expanded their world. What Oak said at that time was also partially true because he never knew nor had any technology to predict the number of Pokes exceeding 150.

Years
  • Seen Feb 8, 2016
I still don't understand how they can say there's 150 in kanto when nobody knew anything about mewtwo.

Pinta77

Who knows. He constantly has children doing research for him so there's bound to be lots of mistakes.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
Well, the 150 in Kanto was due to them knowing about Mew. tbh Mew should have been #150 because it was discovered before Mewtwo. It had to be in order to create Mewtwo even. Even if it was thought to be extinct, we've got fossil Pokémon to compare it to. idk that aspect of Mew/Mewtwo has always baffled me.

When you're talking theories here, you really can't mix in-universe and out of universe theories. You can't really say "either Oak was a jackass or the writers screwed up". It just doesn't work. Because the definite reason is that they did not expect Pokémon to continue past the first generation. The in-universe explanation would be that Oak was talking about the Pokémon Ash would encounter in Kanto, even if he probably wouldn't have met a good portion of the rarer ones had he been a normal kid.

Side note- please don't try to censor bypass (replacing letters in swear words). I'm not bothered this time because jackass isn't censored, but I am bothered that you would try to bypass it.

Last edited:

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
[FONT-="Sans-serif"][COLOUR="DeepSkyBlue"]Well, some of the explanations are not actually reasonable as it is rather obvious that he was meaning 150 in Kanto, at the time, they hadn't started Johto yet.[/s] This is also apparent in other anime series, because a minor hideout flaw comes along when trying to have a continuation.

Of course, leaving the technical side, I suppose yes, he's only talking about the Pokémon capturable in Kanto since he did not think Ash will finish Kanto and go on to Johto.[/COLOR][/FONT]

Draco Razr

Elite Dragon Trainer
Years
  • Seen Jul 26, 2013
Oh you can't blame them for not knowing the exact number of Pokemon. Even to this day, the numbers will keep on increasing until the creators run out of ideas. Oh how I miss the movies back then. They were as awesome as their theme songs. Haha sorry going off topic. They stated 150 since the audience weren't going to be satisfied without being given an exact number. If Professor Oak said to use the Pokedex to find over 1000 Pokemon and Ash couldn't find that many, you expect everyone to be angry. Nothing's perfect even movie and anime story lines are flawed unless you want them to remake them but that would ruin its classicness.

Oak%27s%20Drawing.png

Back