• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

HeartGold hack: [HGSS] Kris as Female Protagonist

Status
Not open for further replies.

ascension7

Creator of UnovaHGSS
Years
  • Seen Sep 30, 2023
HGSS - Kris as Female Protagonist
Rom info:
Hack of: Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver (USA)
Language: English
Current Version: 2.0
Last Updated: 18th July, 2012

Summary
This is a simple hack of HGSS, where Lyra is replaced by Kris, the female protagonist introduced in Pokémon Crystal. There are a few minor glitches, but these are mostly negligible. All that is changed in this patch is the graphics, as well as any mention of 'Lyra' with 'Kris'.

Screenshots:

kris10144082.png
kris10183507.png
kris10324337.png
kris104823019o.png
kris105166.png
kris102332547.png
kris105732462.png
kristest4722861.png
kristest3422623.png
kristest45216385.png

Videos:

Credits:
Tools used:
Spoiler:

Kimba616 - DeviantArt – for making all the Kris sprites. Link

S-Laughtur - DeviantArt – for making the full-art Kris sprite in the intro. Link

Someone – a kind anon on 4chan sent me his work on a rom hack like this one, entitled 'Pokemon SpiritCrystal', from which I extracted Kris' backsprites from.

Bugs:
Spoiler:

Changelog:
Spoiler:

Downloads and Documentation:
Link to patch and xdelta (used to patch the original rom)

Last edited:

blue

gucci
Years
Apart from the slight changes I can see this being popular, alot of Gold & Silver fans will be made up with this so kudos to you for this project.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
Wow!
I will play this one, for the mere purpose of being Kris again!! :3

Well done!

Kenpokid

Hee-ho!
Years
  • Seen May 22, 2016
Am I the only one who thinks there shouldn't have -had- to be a hack for this, and that Lyra shouldn't have even existed?

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
Am I the only one who thinks there shouldn't have -had- to be a hack for this, and that Lyra shouldn't have even existed?
Why do I see the meme instead of your post?
Well... anyways... the majority of fans prefer Lyra maybe due to nostalgy or something so you may not be the only one but you belong to minority that don't like Lyra ;)

ascension7

Creator of UnovaHGSS
Years
  • Seen Sep 30, 2023
New patch is up! Changes detailed in changelog in original post.

Interesting note: while I was searching the rom for the location of the mini-sprite used to denote the location of the player on the Town Map, I found a file with the icons of the playable characters, Raikou, Entei, and Suicine (as expected). But, instead of Lyra, it had a blue-haired female, which I assume is Kris. I'm not sure if this has been found by anyone before, but it's confirmation that Game Freak did in fact have Kris in the game at one point (or at least used her as a debug for the map icons). Just thought this was pretty cool :D The file is located in a/1/4/2 for anyone that's interested (in Tinke, it's file 22 IIRC). This Kris mini-icon is the one used in the patch, and is pictured in the original post.

Let me know if you find any other bugs not noted in the original post!

Years
  • Seen Jul 30, 2012
Thanks for the awesome patch. Kris has a much better character design than Lyra. Everything works great as far as I can see (Mr. Pokemon's house if you really need to know). However, I tried combining this with the pre-alpha of Moemon soulsilver and I ran into graphical glitches. The strange part is that this hack by itself doesn't have these glitches and neither does the moemon hack, but when I use this patch on the moemon hack, the totodile on the intro cutscene and the marill that Oak releases have palette problems. Does your hack change any of the palettes?

Mr. Magius

  
Years
Very, very cool! Good job with this; playing as Kris is really nostalgic since she was the "first" female character we could play as in the main Pokémon games, in Crystal. Well done, sir. I'm replaying the game just to be as Kris! :D

Ammako

I hate you. You know who you are.
Years
  • Seen Feb 1, 2018

Why do I see the meme instead of your post?
Well... anyways... the majority of fans prefer Lyra maybe due to nostalgy or something so you may not be the only one but you belong to minority that don't like Lyra ;)

Uh, so this patch is made for a minority of people who preferred Kris?

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
Uh, so this patch is made for a minority of people who preferred Kris?
Damn... now I see why I hate English names... I must use Japanese names otherwise I won't be able to explain it...

So once again...

the majority of fans prefer Lyra Kris maybe due to nostalgy or something so you may not be the only one but you belong to minority that don't like Lyra Kris

So to answer your question, this is patch for majority of fans that like Kris more than Kotone.

Years
  • Seen Oct 24, 2012
Which tools you use to find and hack Kris sprite in the intro?

I don't know how to make me find and hack the image of intro.

Last edited:

ascension7

Creator of UnovaHGSS
Years
  • Seen Sep 30, 2023

I used Tinke to look through all the files in the rom (fun) and then Tile Molester/CrystalTile to change the files and palettes.

Liogerzero

Aura Soldier
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 13, 2023
I absolutly love this Hack!!!! Kris is one of my favorite Pokemon Protaganists and now being able to play as her again makes me so happy

BCTElite

Be still, my heart 'cause it's freakin' out
Years
This is so cool, Kris shoulda been there instead of Lyra :I
I just wish I had a DS emulator that didnt run so slowly!

RandomDSdevel

The EXP-Grinding Trainer
Years
HGSS - Kris as Female Protagonist

Bugs:
- The backsprite will temporarily revert to Lyra's palette when entering a Wild battle, though it corrects itself soon after. I don't quite know why, but it is exhibited in the video.
- Trainer Card sprite and the overworld sprite shown when naming your character is still Lyra. I don't know where the sprites are located, but they will be changed if I can find them.
- The large art mugshot in the intro is still Lyra, but this is because I haven't found one made for Kris. When one is made, I'll replace it.

…​

Have you made any progress on squashing these bugs yet? I'm kind of sensitive to the idea of encountering them…​

FenrirDarkWolf

Water Musician Fenrir
Years
  • Seen Nov 10, 2013
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back