• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Roleplay Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 31
  • AU
  • Seen Feb 18, 2023
Have you ever taken part in a competitive roleplay?

Competitive roleplay normally involves organised teams which go head to head. This normally leads to evictions (big brother style) or deaths as the roleplay progresses - however that is not required.

The purpose is to crown a winning member or a winning team, can involve things like writing challenges as well as visual or verbal puzzles to solve.
y'know, we were gonna do one as a Christmas event in 2011 I think but it ended up falling through since people just stopped posting.

it sounds like a whole lotta fun though!! so no... never been a part of one that's stuck around!

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
They can be a lot of fun! They're a lot of work though :L baha. I used to be in a huge pirate one, which was basically ship vs. ship vs. ship, was awesome.

Just to let people know, the RPOs will not be taking place this year (although there is a large possibility they will return next summer with the winter olympics). Instead, there will be an alternative event, which will be entirely roleplay based.

I hope people will enjoy it, I/we are brainstorming ideas at the moment and will hopefully have something for August.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
^I felt it was a good idea if the RPOs would function the same as the Olympics (either Winter or Summer, which means they'll come around every two years). It's an amazing event, and I wouldn't mind waiting another year for those. :D

Eagerly waiting for that upcoming event, Swifty <3

Years
  • Age 31
  • AU
  • Seen Feb 18, 2023
Brainstorming is hard... but we'll have something super awesome for you all to take part in, for sure. ;)

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen yesterday
Hey everyone, join my new journey-like roleplay, Origins! It has Kanto and Bill and levels and interaction, what more could you wish for?

Chalifoux

:: Certified Granblue Fantasy Nerd ::
Years
^And so the legendary Rika x Journey RP ship set sail once more :p

I've never been in a truly competitive RP before, but I guess it'd be very fun! :]

An RP event on the month of my birthday, yay! Eager to see what the mods come up with!

{Swan}

I Never Asked For This.
Years
^And so the legendary Rika x Journey RP ship set sail once more :p

I totally ship this hardcore, man.

As for competitive roleplaying, I've never been a part of one, but it sounds like a lot of fun! Competition is one of the best things there are haha. If there's really something happening in August I'll eagerly await it.

Satan.EXE

King of the Hell
Years
  • Age 29
  • C:\
  • Seen Jun 12, 2015
A sample of the story for Arms Achemy Academy: Busou Renkin! Interested? You can find it in the Roleplay Lounge, right across from the Roleplay Corner!​

Spoiler:

Last edited by a moderator:
Years
  • Seen Oct 19, 2013
I have a proposal for non-standard RP thread.

What I'm aiming for is basically the style of a regular forum/chatroom/[insert correct terminology here] where people post under the context of being average trainers in the pokemon world. We talk about raising pokemon, recent battles, that jerk at school/college/work who you think mistreats his pokemon-- real-life as though pokemon were real. There would be no real plots, as the nature of this doesn't really mesh with such a thing-- after all, life doesn't have a plot. Posters would have characters, although they probably wouldn't have much behind them other than personalities-- since this is based off of a chatroom, there isn't really any need to see people face-to-face.

However, there would be rules. No legendaries on your team, no "perfect undefeated trainer." If you have a rare pokemon on your team, you should come up with a legitimate-sounding reason as to why. Also, we would be trainers-- humans-- so no RPing as a pokemon. Shinies would be heavily discouraged-- they could be allowed (under certain circumstances that I have yet to think up), but it sort of ruins your suspension of disbelief if every person posting in this thread about pretending to be a person in a fictional world has a super rare critter (if you do have a shiny in the end, limit it to one). Don't pretend to be one of the game's protagonist, either.

Also, narrating your actions (like *John Deerling plops in his chair and opens a soda blah blah blah*) isn't really going to work with the style of this thread. I can't quite explain how, but it'll become clear once this hypothetical thread starts up.

And to make it really clear, please please please don't write yourself in a intimate relationship with a pokemon, because that gets really uncomfortable really fast. There are probably threads somewhere on this internet for that, but this thread wouldn't be such a place.

Anyways, that's the basic idea. I'm always willing to hammer things out.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen yesterday
I have a proposal for non-standard RP thread.

What I'm aiming for is basically the style of a regular forum/chatroom/[insert correct terminology here] where people post under the context of being average trainers in the pokemon world. We talk about raising pokemon, recent battles, that jerk at school/college/work who you think mistreats his pokemon-- real-life as though pokemon were real. There would be no real plots, as the nature of this doesn't really mesh with such a thing-- after all, life doesn't have a plot. Posters would have characters, although they probably wouldn't have much behind them other than personalities-- since this is based off of a chatroom, there isn't really any need to see people face-to-face.

However, there would be rules. No legendaries on your team, no "perfect undefeated trainer." If you have a rare pokemon on your team, you should come up with a legitimate-sounding reason as to why. Also, we would be trainers-- humans-- so no RPing as a pokemon. Shinies would be heavily discouraged-- they could be allowed (under certain circumstances that I have yet to think up), but it sort of ruins your suspension of disbelief if every person posting in this thread about pretending to be a person in a fictional world has a super rare critter (if you do have a shiny in the end, limit it to one). Don't pretend to be one of the game's protagonist, either.

Also, narrating your actions (like *John Deerling plops in his chair and opens a soda blah blah blah*) isn't really going to work with the style of this thread. I can't quite explain how, but it'll become clear once this hypothetical thread starts up.

And to make it really clear, please please please don't write yourself in a intimate relationship with a pokemon, because that gets really uncomfortable really fast. There are probably threads somewhere on this internet for that, but this thread wouldn't be such a place.

Anyways, that's the basic idea. I'm always willing to hammer things out.
Welcome to the Roleplay Corner of PokéCommunity, new member! (unless you are an alt, of course)

Ideas like these have come up before, but been decided against. Mostly because one of RPC's strictest rules is against one-liners, posts which include little more than one line of dialogue or action. We want to encourage writing here, and we love when our RPs turn out like long novel adventures with multiple protagonists.

Chat-like RPing can be done over Skype or somewhere in a more fitting medium; here posts in such a thread would rather be considered as spam. I think some other forums allow this though, so you might try there instead if you are interested of joining a pokémon forum just to RP like that.

This is how I feel and how I believe it's been up until now, but maybe you could talk to Skymin and SwiftSign (the moderators specially assigned to this section) and see if they have different opinions on your idea.

EDIT: what you could try, actually, is to post such a thread in Forum Games or Pokémon Trivia! If it's about pokémon, the latter would probably be better. There, post count is turned off and it's all about having fun, so short posts are not a trouble.

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
FreeRangeGrass - interesting idea, but I would like to echo what RHCP has said.

Although, saying that, if you could perhaps adapt it to a 'blogger' style theme rather than active chatting, or making sure people roleplay what is /actually/ happening as well as whatever they are saying online... then it could work.

Years
  • Seen Oct 19, 2013
I had originally posted this in the Lounge a few days ago, and... I think it was Skymin (I'm not so sure anymore because the message I was sent is gone now) sent me a note telling me to post in here. But if this sort of thing isn't allowed here, then so be it. I'll try to appeal one more time, and if that doesn't work, I'll try the other board. Thanks for your input!

Cirrus

dreaming a transient dream.
Years
@FreeRangeGrass: I sort of understand what you're talking about here, and it has the potential to be interesting - but the problem with the idea is, I think, the necessity of making each post a collaborative post (or else risk extreme brevity). If one were to create several NPCs, this problem could be alleviated somewhat, but at its core the idea seems to resemble slice-of-life, which means that (fan)fiction proper would likely be a better medium for you to express the idea.

<Challenger>

Goodbye PC...for now.
Years
Hey guys. I'll be leaving again (last time I promise!) until Friday. I'll be back then, and I'll try to get in a post, but again, my computer has been on the fritz. All of my characters can be bunnied by those who probably think it would be best. Sorry about disappearing again. I'll be back.

Sapphire Rose

[I]Only thorns left on this rose.[/I]
Years
Woo! The RPA's are back!

I have one question though~ Where is "the most improved roleplayer" section? ^^ Was it left out for a reason?

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
I have one question though~ Where is "the most improved roleplayer" section? ^^ Was it left out for a reason?

Good spot! :) I removed it because I, personally, felt it sounded quite patronising. There may be a replacement next time - although I think there's enough to vote on! :D

Glad to see some people have started already. Deadline is 1st August (11 days?).

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
So, since RPC didn't have a get-together event and there are no olympics...

dungeon.png

Mystery Dungeon
PokéCommunity Edition

Coming Soon to a Pokémon website near you!*

*this one​

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen yesterday
I can just imagine how crowded and messy this is going to be. ;D And probably fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back