• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"Whoops" - Money Well Spent

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
Years
Have you ever bought a game impulsively expecting something you liked but it turned out to completely opposite or something you weren't expecting? If so, what game(s) was it?

I've bought games that were for XB360 and ported to PS2 and XBOX systems and found out that they weren't as good or were completely different games.

EX. Spider-Man 3 (PS2) is drastically different than Spider-Man 3 (XB360)

pokemasta92

3rd Gen. Enthusiast
Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 28, 2021
Any game that is ported to an earlier generation of console will unfortunately always be worse. Whether it be graphics, gameplay, features, or length, it won't be as good compared to the newer system.

Years
I bought Medal of Honor: Warfighter impulsively and ended up playing it for a couple of days before I realized the mistake I made.

Darkwing Ducklett

Let's get dangerous
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 20, 2014
My most recent incident of this was Gravity Rush, which turned out to be gimmicky and awkward, rather than the pioneering title that it had been made out to be. I also bought Bayonetta assuming I'd be treated to the same sort of exciting, fast-paced gameplay that Vanquish provided...I'm still quite surprised at how awful it was.

Years
I bought Green Lantern: Rise of the Manhunters on PS3, since it was on sale for $20, and my dad had always been a huge Green Lantern fan. After playing it for maybe half an hour, I quit the game, put it back on the shelf, and haven't touched it since.

I know that games based off of movies and TV shows are generally below average, so I don't know what I was quite expecting out of it.

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
Years
I, myself, bought Gauntlet: The Seven Sorrows via XBOX Live Arcade expecting the game to be as in depth as Gauntlet: Champions (PS2) and was greatly disappointed.

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
Years
Dark cloud, Blue dragon, and Epic Mickey 2 were kinda eh. the first two were probably pretty good for their time, and slightly enjoyable. Epic Mickey could be good, but its still funky. Why can't games get up to the god level that was Superman 64, dang that was awesome.

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
Years
The Last of Us, koff~

Terrible game for me. Stealth? Sub-par. Action? Sub-par. Story? Sub-par. Total amount spent on Limited edition? $90+

It's really a piece of art, not a game. It's not fun to walk back and forth solving ridiculously easy 'puzzles'. Pointless waste of funds, koffi~

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I've played Need for Speed: Most Wanted many years ago on my PlayStation 2, and I absolutely loved it. I've played NFS: Carbon, too, as well as its successor, NFS: Pro Street. They were both great and easy to get yourself addicted to. When they've finally announced Need for Speed: Undercover—the sequel to Pro Street—I was extremely excited for it. I couldn't wait to get my hands on it. I bought the game immediately on the release day, but after only about twenty minutes of playing it, I lost my interest completely. The storyline was kind of confusing to me, and the graphics quality was very generic compared to its procedures. I feel that they've rushed it a little when they were making this game. If they took it slow and gave it a bit more development time, then I'm quite sure that it would have turned out to be at least ten-times better. d:

I've returned NFS: Undercover the day after purchasing it. Since it was open, they've given me only about seventy-percent of my money back.

Last edited:

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
X-Blades. It was on sale on steam for cheap, and (even though it had a crap rating) I decided to get it because hey - Cheap.

Game sucks. The graphics were enjoyable for a half hour or so, but they got old fast.

Nakala Pri

Yup, Moshi Monsters Themepark. The one I first played was great, cute and fun, this one was... well... cheesy and wasn't any fun at all. :C

pokemasta92

3rd Gen. Enthusiast
Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 28, 2021
Perfect Dark Zero on Xbox 360 was NOTHING like the hugely successful Perfect Dark on N64, which was the spiritual successor to 007 Goldeneye on N64.

Pikachuie

Go Seahawks!
Years
i bought de blob 2 for the ps3 because i loved de blob on wii when i rented and de blob 2 is not like de blob 1 so yeahhhhh but it was only 9 dallors

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
Years
I brought myself the DS version of my sims as I had traded in the wii version for pokemon Soulsilver. I paid 14 pounds for it out of a second hand shop. lets just say I only played it for 2 hours before I was done with it.

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2023
Ugh yeah, I bought MAG for PS3 a few years ago, and it as the exact opposite of what I thought. I was young and didn't think it would be as strategic as it was. I didn't have fun playing it at all, and ended up returning it after a month. The new MGS was quite a bit different than I thought. A lot more action based than the normal stealth based MGS; I still liked it regardless.

TY

Midnight Club 3, i never saw the game, never read anything about it, but i just bought it and i instantly fell in love with it when i played it... And now i got the latest MC (dating from 2009 xD) aswell :D

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
Years
I bought Diddy Kong Racing DS because I thought it would be like the original on the N64. I was dead wrong. The soundtrack was almost entirely different from the awesomeness of the original, and wasn't too good either. The controls seemed to be worse as well, and the boss difficulty was severely nerfed. Also, the custom track mode sucked, as there were only limited ways you could make one. These actually replaced the original TT Challenges, instead having to race TT (who is insanely easy to beat) on a custom track. I should've known not to buy a remake where the original creators weren't involved. :/

Back