• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"What is this? Is it fake? How much is it worth?" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Dec 4, 2017
Hey, I'm just curious about this card I have with a misprint on it.

Altaria 12/106 from the Great Encounters set

My card says "Evolves from Loudred", when clearly it should say "Swablu". I was just curious if this might be worth anything. I can't seem to find documentation of this misprint anywhere online!

Thank you!

Years
Hey, I'm just curious about this card I have with a misprint on it.

Altaria 12/106 from the Great Encounters set

My card says "Evolves from Loudred", when clearly it should say "Swablu". I was just curious if this might be worth anything. I can't seem to find documentation of this misprint anywhere online!

Thank you!

Sounds like a fake/counterfeit, based on the "Evolves from Loudred" bit on it. Especially because you can't find anything about it online. An error that big on an officially released card would have been noticed and logged by now.

Do you have pictures you could upload as attachments of it?

CosmoeomJ

CosmoeomJ
Years
  • Age 34
  • USA
  • Seen Aug 6, 2021
Pm when there for sale and where you listed them by the way that charizard sold on eBay for $900 I'm interested in venusaur blastoise machamp and raichu zapdos pikachu yellow cheeks pikachu red cheeks

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Jul 17, 2018
Thanks for the replies guys. Sorry I havent gotten to mess with them lately. Been busy. Looks like I'll send in a foil or two and see what they get graded at so I can compare them to the others and get a good guess what the remaining ones would grade as well.

I'll keep it updated here. Will be interesting to see what happens.

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Jun 30, 2019
How much is a Gem Mint Shining Genesect 9/73 worth? It's in perfect condition, PSA graded

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Jan 6, 2018
Hello! I've been collecting cards for a while now, and I was recently told that I had a rare card. A 2012 holo charizard 136/135. I know it's not fake as I got it from an official Pokémon card pack, but I'm not super sure on it's worth?

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Jan 29, 2018
So I've gone through my old collection of cards from when I was a kid and came across shadowless Charizard from the base set (4/102). I'm wondering if anyone thinks the condition of the card is worth getting it graded and, what your guess on what the grade would be.

I know it is not in mint condition but even those with a low grade go for a few hundred and it seems like the condition is the biggest factor on how much its worth. Its also possible I may be posting in the wrong community and you may know of one that could help me out more.

P.S. yes I'm 100% confident it is not a fake. I very well remember when the game first came out buying a starter deck and 2 booster packs and my Charizard came from one of those.

Link to the pics I've taken of the card
https://photos.app.goo.gl/EH6c262ZDVincqgu2

Years
So I've gone through my old collection of cards from when I was a kid and came across shadowless Charizard from the base set (4/102). I'm wondering if anyone thinks the condition of the card is worth getting it graded and, what your guess on what the grade would be.

I know it is not in mint condition but even those with a low grade go for a few hundred and it seems like the condition is the biggest factor on how much its worth. Its also possible I may be posting in the wrong community and you may know of one that could help me out more.

P.S. yes I'm 100% confident it is not a fake. I very well remember when the game first came out buying a starter deck and 2 booster packs and my Charizard came from one of those.

Link to the pics I've taken of the card
https://photos.app.goo.gl/EH6c262ZDVincqgu2

Well, I only ever ask or suspect it's a fake if I see symptoms of what would be a good indicator about counterfeiting, and I don't see any signs of that here.

So, for your non-first edition shadowless Base Set Charizard, it seems to be worth about... $25. At least that's where I'd peg it with the fraying at the edges. Last couple listings for the card on eBay don't seem to show any fraying and went for $35.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 30, 2018
I purchased a PSA 9 graded card off EBay.

Upon looking at the back of the card, I noticed a link of ink.

Seller is offering a decent discount, or I can get a full refund.

Thoughts on how much this defect affects the value?

Please see photo attached

https://imgur.com/a/FTcAE

Years
I purchased a PSA 9 graded card off EBay.

Upon looking at the back of the card, I noticed a link of ink.

Seller is offering a decent discount, or I can get a full refund.

Thoughts on how much this defect affects the value?

Please see photo attached

https://imgur.com/a/FTcAE

Kind of hard to tell from the photo, but that almost looks like it's on the PSA grading case itself?

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 30, 2018
Kind of hard to tell from the photo, but that almost looks like it's on the PSA grading case itself?
It's definitely on the inside. I cannot for the life of me tell if it's the inside of the case or on the card itself.

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Sep 12, 2023
Hello there.

New here, you're gonna have to bare with me if I'm doing stuff wrong.

For Christmas I received a set of Pokémon EX cards. All are normal.

But a Mew EX card I received has a spelling error. It says 'nees' as opposed to 'need'. I read that error cards are worth quite a lot, but I'm looking for an opinion on this specifically? Would it be worth more?

Vuut030.jpg

Last edited:
Years
Hello there.

New here, you're gonna have to bare with me if I'm doing stuff wrong.

For Christmas I received a set of Pokémon EX cards. All are normal.

But a Mew EX card I received has a spelling error. It says 'nees' as opposed to 'need'. I read that error cards are worth quite a lot, but I'm looking for an opinion on this specifically? Would it be worth more?

Mind attaching a photo to your post? I'm inclined to think that card is a counterfeit as I can't find any information on any Mew EX error cards at this time.

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Sep 12, 2023
Mind attaching a photo to your post? I'm inclined to think that card is a counterfeit as I can't find any information on any Mew EX error cards at this time.

Yeah, I searched for it too but couldn't find it, unfortunately. Photo is now attached.

Years
Yeah, I searched for it too but couldn't find it, unfortunately. Photo is now attached.

What's the texture like on the card? I see something that makes me think it's counterfeit (the copyright year in the bottom left completely not matching what should be on the card), plus a couple things that look counterfeit but I'm not 100% sure on, but I want to confirm the texture of the card first, as the texture (or lack thereof) will be the biggest tell in this case.

Here's a link to another site's scan of the actual card, for reference: http://pokegym.net/gallery/displayimage.php?imageid=53565

As you can see, there's a specific texture pattern the official card has.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Sep 12, 2023
What's the texture like on the card? I see something that makes me think it's counterfeit (the copyright year in the bottom left completely not matching what should be on the card), plus a couple things that look counterfeit but I'm not 100% sure on, but I want to confirm the texture of the card first, as the texture (or lack thereof) will be the biggest tell in this case.

Here's a link to another site's scan of the actual card, for reference:

As you can see, there's a specific texture pattern the official card has.

No, it doesn't seem to have that. The thing that's confusing me is that every EX card I got in that set has the year 2016 or 2017 on it. Are they all fakes? None seem to be textured but

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back