• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your favourite Starter Overall?

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen May 28, 2019
Just wondering what everyone's favourite starter pokemon is from the main games, and what's your favourite final starter evolution? Mine changes so much, but at the minute it's Chikorita as I love grass types, she was super badass in the anime, and my latest one on SS is pretty strong. My favourite final starter evolutions are Serperior and Torterra.

If you're super bored, feel free to post your favourite starter from each typing.

Mine for the others would be water - Totodile, final evo Greninja
Fire - Cyndaquil, final evo Delphox

90% based on designs and how attached I got to them when playing.

Years
  • Seen yesterday
002.png

Ivysaur.

Final evolution? Probably Blastoise.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
Years
Rowlet for being the spherical owl it is.
Treecko because it is one of the few known Pokémon to assume the T-pose.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
Treecko! I really liked it when I first saw it. It's an agile Pokemon--and Mega Sceptile is neat!

Charmeleon & Wartortle are my fave middle stages aaand my fave final stage starter is samurott

Taemin

[i][b]MOVE[/i][/b]
Years
  • Age 36
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 10, 2023
Pikachu and Eevee, technically.

But excluding them, out of the "normal" starters, I like Charmander and Fennekin and their evo lines the most.

I'm partial to fire types, and just prefer their designs.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen May 12, 2022
Popplio - I don't know where to even begin. It's this cute seal pup that sneezes bubbles - and is just constantly happy and energetic - especially in his animations in Refresh.

It is an absolute puppy. And fortunately its personality carries over to its other forms, which I'm glad - because I was worried it'd become something dark or edgy instead of "fun".

And for the record, I don't care about the gender ratio - both gen 7's I've played were with boy Pop's.

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
Espeon is a starter in Colosseum. Espeon = Feraligatr > everything else > trash > Greninja

Years

Charmander. I just think its quite possibly the cutest Pokemon that Arceus ever incarnated on this earth, we're beyond starter pokemon now, his design is just magic. I love the shape of his bald head, big trusting eyes and clumsy walk as he waddles towards you. He's adorable, but without trying overly to be cute. He still looks like a lizard! The cuteness just came out of the situations. There's a classic, simplicity about the Kanto starters that's very hard to beat. I really love all three, with the Hoenn starters being a close second.

Charmander also had a sad backstory in the anime that made him even more precious. They have used this prototype so many times with other starters since. But the original abandoned pokemon will always be the best.

He was also pretty zany for such an intense little chap. He just had so much personality.

I even had a charmander watch as a wee thing. It was an orange wrist watch with an alarm and he would squeal "Charmander! Charmander!" when I set it to wake me up for school.

This is a pokemon that turns my knees to jelly and makes me swoon in excitement every time it appears.

Last edited:
Years

Chikorita is my favorite just because it was the first Pokemon I ever had, and ever since I didn't know you should train your entire team, I struggled in my original playthrough of HG, and it made prevailing super awesome for me. I also like how it changes the usually offensive playstyle of most starters, getting a ton of status moves instead of attacking moves.

Years
389.png

My favourite fully evolved starter has to be Torterra. Diamond was my first game, and seeing my cute Turtwig evolve into this fearsome strong beast of a pokemon with a tree growing on it's shell was just amazing. For me, without a doubt, it is one of, if not *the* best designed pokemon. I also love how smaller pokemon live on its back, sometimes for their entire lives.

722.png

My favourite unevolved starter pokemon has to be Rowlet (I know its also a grass type starter, but it is just that good). This is the cutest pokemon in existence whilst simultaneously being one of the most terrifying if you just look into it's dead black eyes and wonder what tterrifying things it may have seen.

So, for my favourite water type and fire type starters starters:
658.png

Greninja is such a sleek pokemon with one of the best abilities and great moves and stats.

008.png

I am not a fan of most of the 1st stage water starters, so I moved onto the second stage. And Wartortle is beautiful with it's gorgeous tail and wing ears. It really is a pity Blastoise lost these defining features.

006.png

I know that Charizard may be a bit overused (a lot more than the average Kanto pokemon) but I don't mind it too much when it has such a good design. The X and Y megas only made it better, with one finally giving it the dragon typing it deserved and the other making it even better with the typing it had (although I think the X mega was more than enough).

390.png

It just has a lot of personality. Not much to say here.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen yesterday
My favorites are Squritle and Treeko

I also like Piplup and Totodile.

I actually like all the Johto starters, especially the second evolutions.

Years
I dunno if I have a single, absolute favorite starter overall, but I can certainly share my favorite of each type!

My favorite Grass starter is Snivy! I love the graceful, elegant appearance it retains throughout its evolution line, and it was my first starter in Black version, so I have some good memories with it! I still have my very first Snivy to this day, even; she's a Serperior now, though, of course~

My favorite Fire starter is Cyndaquil! It's just super adorable and it has to be the cuddliest darned starter evolution line out there. Quilava in particular might just be my favorite middle-stage starter out of all of them.
Honorable mention goes to Honōguma! Although it may not be available in any officially-released Pokémon games, it's absolutely delightful, and I love Volbear especially!

My favorite Water starter is Popplio! I know it's not a popular one, but it's super cute and I love Primarina's design a lot. I guess a lot of people don't like it because it has such a feminine appearance despite being seven times as likely to be male as to be female, like all other starters. That seems to me like a rather silly and dated reason to dislike it. In fact, I find that aspect of it quite charming, personally~

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
Seeing as I have Pokemon Yellow, I have a fondness for our Electric Mouse mascot. However, if we're basing this on the traditional Fire, Water or Grass set-up like in Red/Blue then its an extremely tough call.

For Fire Types, I'll have to go with Cyndaquil. Just something about this Johto Pokemon's design that makes it irresistible. Honorable mention to Charmander though.

For Water Types, I'll go with Oshawott and only Oshawott lol. Just something about Otter Pokemon that pulls at my heart strings. Honorable mention to Squirtle.

For Grass Types, really no contest as its Snivy. Even though I don't personally own the Unova games, the designs on the starters were pretty good imo and Snivy throughout its stages was exceedingly well done. Serperior, Seviper and Milotic... good luck beating that snake-themed team. Honorable mention to Bulbasaur because I like my Kanto Pokemon.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 7, 2019
My fav starter is Torchic. That's what I picked in my first playthrough of my first game, so of course I love it lol.

My fav final evo is Primarina. He's just so fabulous

atmmachine11

Jumping portals since 1997.
Years
This is going to be a huge shocker. Wait for it....

Squirtle! Yeah, despite the fact that Gen 1 is by no means my favorite gen, I have to have a bit of nostalgia cloud my judgment seeing as it was where the series began for me and a major part of my childhood (along with Gens 2,3, and 4 as they released). Squirtle was my starter of choice in Fire Red and my first Pokemon to be brought to level 100 (legitimately of course) so the little dude/girl holds a special place in my heart. I also love Water type Pokemon and cute/cool Pokemon, and I feel Squirtle fits both descriptors.

Back