• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Question: Where do I ask to hire people?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
As far as recruiting people for your fan game goes - it depends.

Are you making a ROM Hack? If so - I suggest starting off in The Launchpad. Check out the section's rules, btw.
If you're making a game via Pokemon Essentials/etc., there is a Recruitment within the Game Dev section, as well.

Realistically speaking, though, if you only have an idea [ergo, no actual progress - artwork, sprites, maps, etc.], chances are people will not be interested in joining your team. You'll want to have made some sort of progress before making a thread.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 10, 2024
I have no progress cause I have no talent. Would I still be able to post a recuitment thread?

I can't program, I can't sprite, and I can't map or make artwork.

Seems rather unfair that I cannot make my game when I have no talent. People should try to understand my position I'm in.

Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Jan 15, 2024
Stating you have no talent is setting yourself up for disaster. I recommend trying and learning. Who cares if the end product is bad but having a go at it yourself means to others you care about your project. It's about having fun, and is no fun to others if you're not contributing anything.

Btw, it isn't "hiring" unless you're actually paying people money to the work for you.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 24, 2023
I have no progress cause I have no talent. Would I still be able to post a recuitment thread?

I can't program, I can't sprite, and I can't map or make artwork.

Seems rather unfair that I cannot make my game when I have no talent. People should try to understand my position I'm in.

I'm from ROM Hacking land and unsure whether you're doing that or Game Development, but the perspective in this regard can be very similar so thought I would pop in anyway x

Okay so about 6 years ago or so when I first found out about ROM Hacks, I was dead set on creating one. I was so excited and was desperate to jump in right away and try to get my very own project started. The truth is, no one is going to volunteer to make your game/hack for you and do all the work with you simply being project director without contributing anything but instructions. I was in the same boat as you though - I couldn't map, sprite, script, or anything at all. I know it can be disheartening, honestly. But do you know what? It's okay! No one comes in knowing absolutely everything. Everyone starts somewhere. So what I did was decide that if I couldn't get others on board to help me out I'd do it myself.

For example I didn't know how to sprite, so I started off by recolouring the existing in-game sprites, adding customization here and there, and practiced a little bit at a time. One day, I looked at a sprite I'd done and found myself thinking "hey, that's actually not so bad! It's not amazing, but it's not bad". Progress! Then I was really determined to learn how to script because I had all these cool ideas for events I wanted to make, so I referred to some of the great tutorials on here and went through trial and error until I'd achieved what I wanted. It's a brilliant feeling when you finally get something to work for the first time.

You might not have any skills right now, but you can learn. You don't even need to learn how to do everything all at once, pick something you like the look of and see if you can get the hang of it. There are plenty of people here who will be happy to help you out by answering questions you might have if you get stuck. It's not a race or competition, just have fun with it, it's only a hobby after all. I promise it'll be so much more of a rewarding experience when you put the work in on your own and see what you've managed to create all by yourself <3 if all these other people can do it, so can you!

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 10, 2024
I'm from ROM Hacking land and unsure whether you're doing that or Game Development, but the perspective in this regard can be very similar so thought I would pop in anyway x

Okay so about 6 years ago or so when I first found out about ROM Hacks, I was dead set on creating one. I was so excited and was desperate to jump in right away and try to get my very own project started. The truth is, no one is going to volunteer to make your game/hack for you and do all the work with you simply being project director without contributing anything but instructions. I was in the same boat as you though - I couldn't map, sprite, script, or anything at all. I know it can be disheartening, honestly. But do you know what? It's okay! No one comes in knowing absolutely everything. Everyone starts somewhere. So what I did was decide that if I couldn't get others on board to help me out I'd do it myself.

For example I didn't know how to sprite, so I started off by recolouring the existing in-game sprites, adding customization here and there, and practiced a little bit at a time. One day, I looked at a sprite I'd done and found myself thinking "hey, that's actually not so bad! It's not amazing, but it's not bad". Progress! Then I was really determined to learn how to script because I had all these cool ideas for events I wanted to make, so I referred to some of the great tutorials on here and went through trial and error until I'd achieved what I wanted. It's a brilliant feeling when you finally get something to work for the first time.

You might not have any skills right now, but you can learn. You don't even need to learn how to do everything all at once, pick something you like the look of and see if you can get the hang of it. There are plenty of people here who will be happy to help you out by answering questions you might have if you get stuck. It's not a race or competition, just have fun with it, it's only a hobby after all. I promise it'll be so much more of a rewarding experience when you put the work in on your own and see what you've managed to create all by yourself <3 if all these other people can do it, so can you!

Please don't think I'm being rude or harsh or negative. I'm just telling you what I've done from my personal experience.

I started this industry back in 2007(?) when I wanted to create Gamination Studios. Back then, I had no idea what I was doing and had no where to begin. I was young, about 15 to 16 years old, and I didn't have any support on my side. So, after opening a recruitment thread, five days later and no response. So, I figured I'd try my hand at it. It's been 11 years since and now, I haven't gotten anywhere. After being banned from PC for some reason not specified, after being harassed by people for being different and something I'd rather not say in public, after all these things, I still haven't grown up. I haven't learned anything new. I've been dabbling with this industry for quite some time.

The strangest part about it is that, after 11 years, I've lost the ability and motivation to draw. I look to other things for inspiration. But, after 11 years, those things I've looked to no longer inspires me. I've looked for other new things to inspire, I've looked everywhere, and have found nothing.

This is not just my drawing habits.

I'm losing a part of me.

My desires and abilities are waining, and no matter how hard I try, no matter how much I do it or push at it, it keeps getting worse. I feel like I am losing my abilities. It may be my disability causing that, or it may be something else underlying. Who knows? All I know is that what I once was... I am no longer anymore. All my qualities I used to have, other than love, kindness, compassion, etc, have all completely vanished. I am bored, and want something new. But I cannot find anything that I enjoy. I feel empty. So empty. And I've tried looking towards god, but feel no satisfaction in him. It's like there's something missing.

This is not a disability issue, I do not need counseling. It does not affect my everyday life, but only my hobbies. I can still get along with people, interact, make conversations.

So, when I say I don't have any talents or abilities, I'm not talking about actual talents like doing magic tricks, I'm talking about talents as in professional job or hobbies. I don't have any. And I can't even keep a job (I really don't care to work.)

I have no problems with the outside world, but the inside world, the part of me... a huge issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back