• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emerald hack: Altered Emerald (386+ patch with new maps and 7th gen battle engine/evos)

What's your rating, guys?

• ✰ ✰ ✰ ✰ ✰

Votes: 351 70.8%
  • ✰ ✰ ✰ ✰

Votes: 115 23.2%
  • ✰ ✰ ✰

Votes: 15 3.0%
  • ✰ ✰

Votes: 4 0.8%
  • Votes: 11 2.2%

• Total voters

luuma

searching for Meaning, offering HA numel
Years
vb9zns_Y-2.jpg

The current patch, patch 4.2 is available at https://drive.google.com/file/d/15Rdzs6rOsON609TJQe6uiRcym_q8I4pC/view?usp=sharing

to do list before the next big patch is released:

Latest patch: 12 april 2022: Patch 4.2. Revives contests, updates documentation, reimplements a joke dex entry patch, adds new gym puzzles to sootopolis and mauville, adds a new trade, a nature switcher, and a boy in mauville who tells you what moves a Pokémon can be tutored.[/SIZE][/B]

Patch Notes:
Spoiler:

What happens when you take (almost) every move and ability from gen 1 to 7, add some new ones to the mix, and then cram them into just 386 Pokémon?
You get an amount of diversity the main games only dream of. Around half the abilities are signature abilities, and moves are no different! You can catch all your favourites here, and you'll find them stronger and more defined than ever before.

On top of that, I've rebalanced and re-teamed the trainers and gym leaders, then freshened up every route in Hoenn and added five new ones. And I love the puzzles: they're optional, fair, and absolutely devilish.

On with the show!
Starring:

• Dizzy Egg's/Chacha Dinosaur's emerald battle engine: most moves, many items, and all types, phys/spec split, abilities, capture xp, and all abilities (especially the cool ones) up to generation 7 are in the game
  • The palette has been made more vibrant All routes have been remodeled, some islands have been added in the sea, victory road is completely new and exciting, and 5 new (fully optional) routes have been added: a canyon, a haunted house, an extension to route 119's river, a snowy mountain, and a mine.
  • So many quality of life changes!
    • Fly to routes
    • Access Pokémarts downstairs in all Pokémon Centres
    • Use Nature Power as a replacement for all of Strength, Rock Smash, Cut, Surf, Waterfall, and Dive, or just use the old HMs as usual
    • Evolve your team into all their later generation evolutions
    • Evolve trade evos that require items by just levelling them up while holding that item, and evolve all other trade evos at lv36 (or evolve gengar by happiness at night)
    • Reuse tms and move tutors as much as you want
    • Shiny rate doubled to match later generations (with the itemfinder)
    • Run indoors
    • Delete all HMs
    • Use the updated repel system,
    • Access all the secret base items,
    • A few storyline rewrites (the Magma Base is now an enjoyable little sneaking mission where you have to avoid getting seen. )
    • An ability switcher in Mauville
    • An egg hatcher in Verdanturf
    • An IV checker and nature changer in the Battle Frontier (with the option to perfect EVs at a price)
    • An EV checker that can reduce all EVs to 0 by converting them into EV items. 15 EVs make one EV item. e.g a mon with 37 HP Evs would give you 2 HP UPs.
    • Optional patch with 20 more type changes
    • And even more QOL improvements!
      Spoiler:
  • The Hoenn dex mode has been fully reordered to roughly match the order in which mons can be obtained!

• New typings
    • Banette is ghost/normal,
    • Parasect is ghost/grass,
    • Marowak is Ground/Ghost
    • Masquerain is water/bug,
    • Celebi is grass/fairy,
    • Probopass is rock/elec
    • And an optional patch with 20 more, as per some requests
  • New Learnsets for every Pokémon! Listed in the file "Changes to level up movesets" in the folder the patch comes in
  • New abilities for every Pokémon! Listed in a doc called "New abilities, base stats, and evolution info" in the folder the patch comes in
    Spoiler:

• 417 pokémon are available, all of which have been tinkered, polished, dusted off and enhanced. All of them are really cool to use, and I've tried them all. Highlights include:
    • Disguise Sudowoodo complete with a form change
    • Shields Down Golem complete with a form change
    • Ghost/Grass horror tank Parasect with 140 sDef, spore and nightmare
    • Spinda with Dancer and every "Dance" move in the game
    • Grass/Fight Grovyle and Sceptile with Defiant, Forest Curse, Mat Block, Low Sweep, and Sacred Sword
    • Corsola lowers Sp.Def but sharply raises Def when hit by Physical moves, and lowers Def but sharply raises Sp.Def when hit by Special moves. Or gets regenerator
    • Levitate Electrode with a move that calculates damage based on speed. And of course electro ball
    • Porygon/Porygon2 that changes from one to the other every level
    • Ariados with a learnset based round toxic thread (now badly poisons and halves speed), baneful bunker, venom drench, and venoshock and access to electroweb and psychic fangs
    • Beedrill with Merciless and 40 (x2) base power Twineedle with 40% chance to poison each hit.
    • Innards Out Poliwag line (and drizzle for politoed of course)
    • Victory Star Starmie with Laser Focus and Prismatic Laser
    • Soul-Heart Luvdisc with huge defensive power
    • Pixilate/intimidate Snubbull (available on route 101)
    • Reckless Tauros with Head Charge
    • Tentacool line with Tangling Hair or water bubble
    • Moody Sunkern with seed bomb by lv19, gets Weather Ball, Synthesis and Solarbeam, and evolves into Drought Sunflora.
    • Hoppip line without offensive moves til it's Jumpluff but with stunning support ones all along, and also symbiosis then Prankster (or Fluffy)
    • Queenly Majesty Nidoqueen and King's Shield Nidoking, or if you don't like that you can have them with Poison Touch
    • not to mention Flame Body now offering Typhlosion a 30% chance for its own contact moves to cause burns.
    • Schooling Exeggcute lmao. a swarm of eggs
    • Feraligatr with bite moves causing critical hits every time
    • Pidgeot has Delta Stream or No Guard
    • Girafarig turns every battle it's involved in into an Inverse battle.
    • Lunatone sets Gravity on switching in,
    And more. Loads more!

• New difficulty curve! All wild encounters are at roughly the level your team should be at, so switching Pokémon in and out is really easy and rewarding. XP yields are slightly lower early on to compensate for this, which means Nuzlockes are hopefully relatively more challenging than usual.

• New Trainer fights for many trainers (and all the important characters) especially later in the game. Expect to get danced over by Tate & Liza, sharked by Archie, rused by Sidney, and completely rinsed by Wallace, whose battle takes place in semi-permanent rain

• New TMs!
    Spoiler:
  • New move tutors!
    Spoiler:
  • New items!
    Spoiler:

• New battle engine, moves, and abilities!

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
[/INDENT]

UPDATED OLD MOVES

Sky attack now 50% chance to flinch, Special (now a usable option for serene gracers)
Mega Punch now additionally raises the user's attack (for the benefit of pixilate granbull, parental bond kangaskhan, etc)
Shadow Punch now ignores all barriers, substitutes, and protections, and has 75 power (sates a lot of need for physical ghost stab)
Foresight/Miracle Eye/Odor Sleuth/Scrappy now make all moves hit through all type immunities rather than just their respective ones.

Snatch now steals all non-attacking moves instead
Magic Coat now steals all special attacking moves instead (Spoink signature)
Cross Poison now 100 power, 90 acc

Also some changes to signature moves.
Spoiler:

[/SPOILER]
[/LIST]
A comprehensive list of all Pokémon's Learnset and Ability changes comes packaged up with the rom, along with the .ini (for pge, if you want to make your own tweaks), and some patches for optional features. There's one to allow revives to be used in battle again

-------------------------

This rom is complete, and has a good amount of postgame from emerald, but I still occasionally update it with new features. This used to happen pretty regularly, but now I've switched to just doing larger, more infrequent patches, with more playtesting. Please use the Discord server for bug reports.

Most questions you will have are answered in the huge amount of info below:
Pokemon Capture Locations
Spoiler:

Evolution changes/Evolution item locations
Spoiler:

Puzzle Walkthroughs and hints (Pa'i canyon, victory road, and the Second Bike. (There are image gifs in the discord)
Spoiler:

FAQ/walkthrough
Spoiler:

Known Bugs:
Spoiler:

Bugs that cause serious crashes
- When Ditto transforms into a Pokemon with Gravitate, the game crashes.
- Self-destruction moves used against certain pokemon by certain pokemon in certain conditions completely crashes the game. (details????) I've removed several instances of selfdestruction from several trainers, but there are some I will have missed.
- The battle frontier corrupts save file data. If you use savestates, you shouldn't have problems.

VBA-M is thoroughly recommended as an emulator, as it's the one I use to test. It is also available on the largest number of platforms! Visual Boy Advance also works but may have teething issues and show a white screen - I've included a .sav file in the rom with a blank file. emulators on the PSP apparently also suffer similar issues to VBA
Please install only one Altered Emerald patch on a rom at a time. If you haven't played since before patch 3, it might be worth starting a new game, else you'll probably suffer from some serious teething issues with your save file.

Hope you enjoy! Please do drop me an honest rating out of 5 when you're done : )

Chronosplit's also made you some patches that replace the gen 3 starters in this rom with the starters from gen 1 or gen 2.

Join the discord here.

Last edited:

luuma

Years
Wait, what's the sideshow showcase?
EDIT: Oh, gotcha. Yeah, that is a grey area. It is actually more than just a 386 difficulty patch, I promise! The story progresses through routes in a slightly different order, and like I say, every route and city got a few tweaks, and so did every pokemon. It's like pokemon BW versus B2W2 level of changes.

edit 2: this post has aged badly lmao, I moved it to the sideshow showcase in like June, cause the storyline is nearly the same as emerald. I'd rather promise less and impress than promise more and disappoint

Last edited:

The ???

The one true question mark
Years
  • Age 27
  • ???
  • Seen Dec 10, 2020
I do like it overall from the looks of it. Not gonna lie though, while on one hand the move/typing etc changes will make the game fresh but I kinda sorta dislike this as well.
Highly appreciate slight changes in maps and overall higher difficulty. I might try this hack later.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen May 27, 2020
Can you please provide another download link to the patch? I can't seem to be able to download it on my android browser and I don't want to download their app.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 4, 2023
This looks great! you should think about patching in some mega evolutions tho, there are some pretty easy battle engines you can just apply with a patch, but you might have to mess around with offsets since you've already added a bunch of stuff

EDIT: btw, this is gonna get taken down p soon, you're not allowed to link directly to a rom file, you have to link a patch (ips or ups)

Tendoman77

Formerly known as "Da Man"
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
Just to warn that there IS swearing in this hack, caught a female Nidoran and it mentions the F word in her pokedex entry.

Why people insist in putting swearing in Pokemon I have no idea, but that's just me.

luuma

Years
Just to warn that there IS swearing in this hack, caught a female Nidoran and it mentions the F word in her pokedex entry.

Why people insist in putting swearing in Pokemon I have no idea, but that's just me.

Imma patch this out, I thought id updated and removed it but apparently not! give me about an hour.
It's oddly funny having to veto a whole slew of my own dex entries for old edgy teen humour

EDIT: FIXED THIS!! ITS RUDE FREE AGAIN LADS

EDIT: btw, this is gonna get taken down p soon, you're not allowed to link directly to a rom file, you have to link a patch (ips or ups)

Also fixed this

Thanks for reading the rules for me, I'm really sorry guys, I literally just chucked the thread up and assumed I didn't need to check anything. Probs the most useful feedback I could have wished for lmao

EDIT:
Can you please provide another download link to the patch? I can't seem to be able to download it on my android browser and I don't want to download their app.
I've now also attached it to my post. If that doesn't work just hmu again!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jan 3, 2017
Wow is this polished so far. I'm really enjoying the way you've utilized the basics of the game to the fullest instead of needing to artificially add features or anything like that.

Any hints for the condition for Splash to work?

luuma

Years
Wow is this polished so far. I'm really enjoying the way you've utilized the basics of the game to the fullest instead of needing to artificially add features or anything like that.

Any hints for the condition for Splash to work?
I'm really sorry to say that Splash's move description of "deals huge damage under certain conditions" might just be a cheeky joke; Splash still does absolutely nowt! Have fun with hoppip!

EDIT: just patched out some expletives I missed. There were never any in the main story text iirc, just in the dex cause it's the oldest. Magikarp is also no longer called magikrap. If you bump into any more, hit me up #KeepThatERating

Last edited:

luuma

Years
where is hm dive
dude you've gotten far, what the heck! How do you like it so far?

Dive is on route 135, south of Mt. Pyre on the town map. There's a girl with pink hair who gives it you. Should I put in a few more things pointing to her?

Last edited:
Years
I feel like I might give this a try, if you keep on working on it. I do like difficulty patches and ones with the complete pokedex but I feel like you could try to add more features like mega evolutions or BW repel system which are in a lot of new rom hacks. It does look good though, I have been waiting for some Hoenn updates like a sequel or made in the DS style and this does look like what I've been asking for. You may want to check out Pokemon Ruby 2 and Sapphire 2 in the Progressing Hacks thread.

luuma

Years
I feel like I might give this a try, if you keep on working on it. I do like difficulty patches and ones with the complete pokedex but I feel like you could try to add more features like mega evolutions or BW repel system which are in a lot of new rom hacks. It does look good though, I have been waiting for some Hoenn updates like a sequel or made in the DS style and this does look like what I've been asking for. You may want to check out Pokemon Ruby 2 and Sapphire 2 in the Progressing Hacks thread.

I agree with BW repels, although I really think the random encounters give routes a lot of feel. It'd be an improvement, though, so I'll probably chuck it in next time I inevitably update lol

I thought about Mega evolutions, and I think they're unnecessary. If I just chuck them in, it'll screw the difficulty unless I put them in postgame, and much as I've done some charming price reductions in the battle frontier I really doubt anyone will keep playing on once they beat wallace!
Then, even if I bash and tweak them into a less powerful shape, it turns out that megas are essentially less fun than a thunderstone evolution. The only difference is that you have to click more stuff in battle and you have less customisation options because your item slot is gone. If I wanted to add in a mega banette, I would instead change banette's base stats and ability, or do it as a moon stone evo. I'm definitely not going to do this, I don't think it adds anything positive.

In my mind, this hack's virtually in it's final state. I might get myself a moves and abilities patch and make use of that, but honestly there's more than enough different strategies to use already, and I don't think it needs more. I also have uni commitments! I'll wait until someone plays it and says it needs more variety.

Edit 1.5yrs later: "in my mind this hack's virtually in its final state" absolutely fuckin wrong I redid virtually every map, updated the battle engine, added two more routes, added all gen 4 evos and several fancy new moves, and then chucked in a full visual overhaul lol

Give it a shot though, I bet you'll have fun! Thanks a bunch for the recommendation.

EDIT: Credit to danny0317 and Phenom2122, what absolute machines, I now have the full BW repel system working ingame!!!
https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=8724074#post8724074

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen May 19, 2022
This looks great, playing it rn on mobile. Is there an extensive list of pokemon, move, and location changes sitting around? It would probably be very useful for people like me who enjoy knowing why you recommend so many normally crap pokemon.

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Sep 10, 2017
Sorry to be that guy, but I'm pretty sure rattata is spelled wrong in the game as ratatta.

luuma

Years
Sorry to be that guy, but I'm pretty sure rattata is spelled wrong in the game as ratatta.
That's an extra old in joke. Is carvanha by any chance spelled carvahna?
EDIT: yep, wow. It is. I never thought anyone would spot that!
it's fixed, but I'm not releasing a patch just yet

Last edited:
Back