• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen The Exclusive Insects! [November 2017]

Favorite Exclusive bug?

• [IMG]https://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/0/0f/Spr_1b_123.png[/IMG]

Votes: 28 90.3%
  • [IMG]https://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/7/70/Spr_1b_127.png[/IMG]

Votes: 3 9.7%

• Total voters
Years
THE EXCLUSIVE INSECTS!
First Generation's Monthly Poll [November 2017]
Welcome to the First Generation's Monthly Poll! Picking up from where Brendino left off. The purpose of these are simple - provide a monthly question relating to the First Generation, and of course, you provide us with your answers and thoughts! If you have any ideas for future questions, feel free to shoot me a message!

...And now, for this month's question!

"Which is your favorite exclusive Bug Type Pok?mon?"

Unarguably, Scyther & Pinsir are considered to be the strongest Bug Types in the First Generation. Scyther is a speedy Pokemon, with a great Attack stat. Meanwhile Pinsir has just a tad higher defense, and a better Attack stat. Both Pok?mon are great additions to a team, but only one species can be found per game. Scyther is found in Pok?mon Red, while Pinsir is found in Pok?mon Blue. Both can be caught in the Safari Zone.

Now...who would you choose? Why? Let us know your favorite!

YFUUPIi.png
tFT4V5R.png

CSS by Achromatic

Charlie Brown

[font=lato]coolcoolcool[/font]
Years
Scyther. Much cooler design imo, and the extra Speed comes in handy in RB. That said I haven't used either of them much because lazy to catch them in RB lmao

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 19, 2019
If I use a specific Pok?mon I intend to make use of its STAB. Pinsir hardly learns any Bug-type moves (esp in Gen III) and that's really annoying.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Online now
I prefer Scyther, but it can't evolve yet in gen 1 and that bothers me a little bit. If I had to use one, it would be Pinsir.

littlebeeb

小さなもの
Years
Lol, at the time of me posting this, Pinsir has 0 votes. :c Poor bby.

Scyther is just so sleek and terrifyingly rad. I mean he has scythes for hands!!

Utilization-wise I'm not much of a competitive battler so my vote is mainly off of design.
I do know that based on how the critical hits were given out in Gen 1, I'm sure Scyther got a lot of them using slash with his higher speed stat. (Please feel free to call me out if I'm wrong though. ^_^; )

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
Neither Pokemon learn a Bug type move and Scyther has Flying Typing, making it vulnerable to Electric, Ice and especially Rock type moves. Bug types in Generation 1 for all intents and purposes are garbage due to the few Bug type moves and how weak they are. It?s why Psychic types dominate.

However, if we look at it just from a Red/Blue perspective(and ignore Yellow exclusives regarding Scyther), Pinsir is a better Pokemon. Has a stronger Attack and Physical Defense and it?s pure Bug Typing makes it more resilient to Attack. Although Scyther?s speed is appealing(as does learning Slash much earlier), that Flying Typing really hurts it from a Defense perspective.

TLDR: Pinsir gets my vote.

Last edited:
Years
Poor Pinsir, only one vote. :(

Although I myself prefer Skyther too, it's the one Red exclusive I actually prefer. It has a cooler design imo, and its higher speed is more useful in battle. Though I didn't really use either in a most runs, due to me preferring other Pokemon.

Years
Scyther was my favourite Bug Pokemon in Gen I, mostly because of the anime. I never used him in the games, btu I used Scizor few times in competitive battles and still probably have one or two fully trained. But now, I have an urge to make myself battle-ready Scyther... thanks...

Years
Pinsir is great and all, but when you're comparing it to Scyther, I'm going to vote for the latter every time. Then again, I didn't start using Pinsir until waaaaay later in the series, so maybe my opinion would've changed if I hadn't used Scyther first.

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
Prefer Scyther with those sleek scythe arms, over Pinsir's ugly brown design. Never liked Pinsir and I'm still annoyed it got a better Mega than Heracross.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 28, 2021
Pinsir is great but Scyther would make my top 10 so.. Bug Pokémon don't get any cooler than good 'old Scyther.

Back