• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Music in Cars

Years
People can have... funny rules about music in cars. Does the driver always get to choose the music? That is to say, is a car a country and the driver its dictator?

On a somewhat related note, what is good driving music? Is it the same as whatever music you normally listen to, or are there other criteria you follow?

TY

Mostly the radio is on, but when im in a good mood i pop up my phone and play my songs, regardless what the rest thinks (mostly they agree).

and when i do its always the music i normally listen to... it calms me tbh

Kotone

someone needed a doctor?
Years
well when i drive im always in charge of my music. i love listening to pop music. it's when i get my chance to sing in the car. when my dad drives, he's in charge of music and he plays old popular music from the 90s. my mom doesn't listen to music in the car, she just likes talking :P

Sassy Milkshake

It's ok to cry.
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 10, 2013
I usually keep it on like one channel and no one complains, so I just leave it. Now that I think about it music isn't all that important when I'm driving, unless I'm by myself. Most of the time I'm with someone and we'll be talking so the radio will be turned down anyways. When I'm by myself though, good music is just anything I like.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
In my car, if my grandma is on the car only Spanish radio station is on (Radio Sol 1360am, local Spanish station in Seattle). When my grandma is not on the car, and I'm there, usually everyone agrees, have it on the local rock station (99.9 KISW "The Rock of Seattle") is always on. My uncle drives alone he puts on what ever he wants.

When I"m alone, the radio is turned off. I have my cell phone on for music, either I"m listening to Metal music or I have it on Pokemon music. Yep, thats how dedicated I am to Pokemon. Its everywhere with me.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
I don't understand people's affinity with their car radios. I don't care what my passenger or the driver wants to listen to, the only issue I have is if it's really loud or so low to the point that it might as well be off, because then it just sounds like white noise.

A big annoyance I have is when someone borrows my car then returns it with the air on 90/60 degrees, fan on full blast (my car's fan is extremely loud) and the music cranked up to max. Now that really pisses me off.

I typically keep my car on one radio station (whose morning show I utterly loathe, but I either turn it off or grit my teeth through it for the morning commute) at a moderate volume, unless a song comes on that I like, then I turn it up.

Years
My car, my music. I have my phone, which is hooked into the radio, handling music. I'll usually tailor the playlist to be acceptable for other passengers, but if they piss me off, I switch to something they won't like, just to remind them that I'm the one giving them a lift.

Altomare

Purupuru!
Years
I don't drive (yet) so my parents choose whatever music is playing on the car. However sometimes we get to pick as well.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
Whoever is driving gets to choose the music most of the time, though my dad has the habit of changing the station abruptly whenever they start doing commercials, usually with a "SHUT UP!" or some choice four-letter words accompanying the change. Why they don't use the CD player to avoid ads altogether is beyond me,

For the most part the radio is on in the car with any member of the family. When it's me, I pretty much listen to the same stuff I would at home... mostly 80's music.

Years
We have rules around here regarding radio control, and it's because my brother and I have had passengers that dink around with our radio while we're driving. So now the driver controls what everyone listens to in the car. If the driver feels like listening only to the intros of songs, then that's what everyone has to put up with.

As for music that's good for driving, usually up-tempo (as in faster paced and not melancholy) stuff is great for that, as it helps keep me focused and alert, but aside from those criteria, just about anything I feel like listening to at any given moment works.

Sir Codin

I hardly ever drive anyone around for the sole purpose of avoiding people complaining at me for blasting heavy metal in their ears. Some people are the worst....

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
The only time I listen to the radio is when I'm either driving or as a passenger in a car. Because of that, I'm not really too fussed about what music is on at any given time, as I'm in a car so rarely that any radio music is good enough for me. The last time I was in a car, however, I was forced to listen to my brother's REM CD because he was driving us both shopping... THAT was annoying, to say the least!

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
In my car, the passenger usually has the say in music since while I do listen to music when by myself, it's usually via phone and headphones. None of the people that I've ever driven around have had a bad taste in music, but I assume that I would go nuts if they did and insisted that the radio stay on stale channels with equally as stale music. That would be the day I conveniently forget my headphones/phone. XD

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I have a thing that will hook to my iPod/iPhone and play over the radio. The radio cuts in sometimes and it's annoying though. Anyway, I have to have music in the car because if it's too quiet, I get really nervous (that goes for everything actually, not just being in a car). Plus it's really the only place I can sing to my heart's content. I love to sing, but I can't sing in front of people, so that just leaves me with the car being my only stage.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
I always listen to the radio in my car, but I usually am the only one who controls it. Not because I forbid others to change the channel on me, but just because I usually find something that I know everyone in the car will enjoy. I also use my iPod a lot when using my radio. I don't like driving when there is no music at all.

Brizz

TM87
Years
Haha I love to be the DJ in the car at all times, driving or not. Usually I roll with some CDs or even hook up my iPhone despite the crappy FM Transmitter. Or sometimes I'll just go to the radio to see what songs are currently being overplayed.

Years
Any music is good car music, as long as it's loud. Driving through the city at night with the music bumping is the best. It's just one of those things that makes me feel great. Luckily all my friends are the same, I hate people who are stingy with the volume or don't even like music in the car.

The only time I listen to the radio is when I'm either driving or as a passenger in a car.

Aren't those the ONLY options when it comes to driving in a car? hahaha

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
dont stop me now by queen.... cant get much more intense

THIS.

Nah, I absolutely hate being in cars so I tend to listen to my iPod and wait for the journey to be over haha. I think it'd be different when I'm driving myself, I'd probably be one of those people that has the music blasting out loud with classic 80s/90s rock on. As cliché as that sounds, having great music on so loud makes me feel great so it'd definitely help to make the whole experience more bearable!

Back