• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

DJTiKi's MEGA-HUGE Guide To Planning Your Awesome Rom Hack! The Guide For Everything Pokemon!

What topic should I cover after Gameplay & Balance?

• Post-Game

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Personality and Fun

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • A Different Genre, All-Together

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
Years
Just don't give it Wonder Guard.

Wonder Guard is so overpowered, it's not even fair. (Can something that is defense oriented be Over Powered? Huh.)

I'd never consider Wonder Guard. I can't stand that ability. Nobody wants another Wondertomb situation (though a well-aimed Moonblast could take it out). xD

I think it's not out of the realm of possibility for a defense-oriented Pokemon to be OP. Mega Venusaur is a perfect example, as its ability gets rid of 2 of its major weaknesses. That and the fact that it possesses healing in Synthesis makes it one of the more annoying Pokemon to battle. Or Cloyster, whose Skill Link ability + Shell Smash can be very devastating, especially if it's holding a White Herb. And when used effectively, Skarmory can be pretty b0ss. I'd also give honorable mention to Florges, if you can set up a few Calm Minds.

Bliss

Part-time Pegasister, Part-time PokéFreak
Years
I'd never consider Wonder Guard. I can't stand that ability. Nobody wants another Wondertomb situation (though a well-aimed Moonblast could take it out). xD

I think it's not out of the realm of possibility for a defense-oriented Pokemon to be OP. Mega Venusaur is a perfect example, as its ability gets rid of 2 of its major weaknesses. That and the fact that it possesses healing in Synthesis makes it one of the more annoying Pokemon to battle. Or Cloyster, whose Skill Link ability + Shell Smash can be very devastating, especially if it's holding a White Herb. And when used effectively, Skarmory can be pretty b0ss. I'd also give honorable mention to Florges, if you can set up a few Calm Minds.
I was thinking of Salamence, actually xD Ran into a wild Salamence Lv83. I had a team of 6 level 100's. I lost. So yeah.

That reminds me, DJTiKi did you plan to add a section dedicated to custom abilities/moves/animations/etc? Just thought I'd ask, since you have a Fakemon section.

DJTiki

top 3 most uninteresting microcelebrities
Years
I was thinking of Salamence, actually xD Ran into a wild Salamence Lv83. I had a team of 6 level 100's. I lost. So yeah.

That reminds me, DJTiKi did you plan to add a section dedicated to custom abilities/moves/animations/etc? Just thought I'd ask, since you have a Fakemon section.

Haven't really thought of it, actually xD. But if that's what you guys want, I'l do it, in its own section.

Bliss

Years
Haven't really thought of it, actually xD. But if that's what you guys want, I'l do it, in its own section.
I think it definitely deserves mention, though I don't really see a need for a tutorial here. I've seen a few others around, so I think just adding a small section mentioning the options and the pros/cons of adding such.

DJTiki

Years
So I guess I definetly should then. :p

Alright I will. Btw, I haven't updated in a while....I really need to soon. Tommorow, hopefully,

DJTiki

Years
Well that does it, for Fakémon :) The deed is done. Now since there is a new update, I'll ask another question:

Do you prefer your starters to be Fire, Water, and Grass, or something else?

Bliss

Years
Do you prefer your starters to be Fire, Water, and Grass, or something else?
I think that the starters should always revolve around the plot.

If you have a plot based on the main series, it's probably best to keep Fire Water and Grass. But if your story focuses on evil you should have a Poison type, a Dark Type, and something else that's often used by evil for the third.

Doesn't make much sense to see a Grass type Pokemon in a land that's been burned to cinders (for plots that involve Team Magma having succeeded) or to have Fire Pokemon in a region with practically no land. (Team Aqua succeeded) So I think it comes down to plot.

I also worry about balance. What I mean is, if the region has a bunch of forests with Bug and Grass types early on, you shouldn't get a Fire Type so early. Not unless there is a good balance of non-grass, non-bug types to make you want to train other Pokemon.

Note: It also gets really annoying when I go into a forest and see nothing but bug Pokemon. Other types live in forest, but it seems like developers forget that sometimes.

I guess it's a bit difficult for me to really put it into words, but I think Starter Pokemon should always relate to the plot, at least on some basic level. For example:
Bulbasaur, Squirtle, and Charmander were given as choice starters to everyone who came of age in the anime. This created the back story for them to be chosen in the official games. (Yes, two different Pokemon worlds, but still) However, in most hacks there is little information as to why you are being given one of three Pokemon. Why these three? Why not a different three? And why are they giving Pokemon out for free anyway? But I digress.

tl;dr Starters should be based on the story of the hack.

PS Thanks for the update~

BrandoSheriff

Years
The starters don't always have to be Fire/Water/Grass IMO. It works though, because of the rock, paper, scissors effect between them. One always has an advantage and disadvantage to another, which is a great way for beginners to learn about weaknesses and resistances. Though another trio that works this way is Fighting, Dark, Psychic. xD

But should it always be a choice of three, however? If the story is done a certain way, maybe it makes sense for the player to only get one certain Pokemon (like Ash receiving Pikachu). Or you're playing as a bad guy whose team just stole a bunch of Pokemon at the game's beginning, and you can choose from, say, 7.

So starters and their typing all really depend on the atmosphere of the hack itself. I don't have a personal preference on the types though, but it should at least make sense.

~Justified~

~Working On A New Rom Hack~
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Nov 23, 2015
Love this guide. Reading it has helped me plan/organize my hack a lot better, and everyone's posts here are helping me learn what to do/not to do in my hack (what players want to see more of, what they want to see less of, etc) For example, after reading some of these comments, I've decided that I'll give NPC Interaction much more thought than usual, as well as many other things.

I look forward to more from this thread:)

Bliss

Years
Love this guide. Reading it has helped me plan/organize my hack a lot better, and everyone's posts here are helping me learn what to do/not to do in my hack (what players want to see more of, what they want to see less of, etc) For example, after reading some of these comments, I've decided that I'll give NPC Interaction much more thought than usual, as well as many other things.

Seeing this post made me smile.

This proves that DJTiKi's guide, and our opinions, really get through to the hackers of PC and it shows that we can really improve the quality of the hacks PC's community produces, even if it takes a while to do so xD

Just wanted to say thank you to Magic Guard and DJTiKi for taking time to improve the quality of things around here.

DJTiki

Years

Seeing this post made me smile.

This proves that DJTiKi's guide, and our opinions, really get through to the hackers of PC and it shows that we can really improve the quality of the hacks PC's community produces, even if it takes a while to do so xD

Just wanted to say thank you to Magic Guard and DJTiKi for taking time to improve the quality of things around here.

Thank you guys, for being very supportive of the guide. You guys, are why, I continue to write it. Even if it takes me forever to do so xD. The support for this is so great, and couldn't thank you anyone, whether you just came by to read it, and give your opinions on the matter.

Thank you all.,:)

DJTiki

Years
OMIGOSH I just updated :o now including Starters. And do you know what that means: I get to ask another question...

So Finales, are important to a game. Do you think that the Finale, should be based on the plot or should conclude at the Elite Four?

BrandoSheriff

Years
So Finales, are important to a game. Do you think that the Finale, should be based on the plot or should conclude at the Elite Four?

I think it should depend on the plot of the game itself. For example, if it's about a trainer trying to be the best (like no one ever was), then beating the Elite Four and Champion should be the finale since the trainer achieved his/her goal. Then again, it doesn't have to be this way. Pokemon Black and White are good examples, as yes, you did battle the Elite Four, but not the Champion until the post-game, as more important matters had to be dealt with. The finale had you finish off Team Plasma rather than battle Alder, something we've never actually seen before.

So, it's plot for me. I don't mind ending with the League, so long as it fits into the overall story somehow, and not just put there "because endgame". xD

And nice job on the starters update!

Bliss

Years
As Darkrai said: It depends on the story of the game.

If the MC is trying to take a classic path (help with Pokedex/be the best/defeat rival) then yes, I think it should finish up with the E4, but also have a bit to do Post-Game as an optional extra for players who want to go the extra mile.

However, if the MC isn't taking such a classic style plot-path then no, it should not end with the E4. There are actually many hacks I think should omit the E4 completely, since they serve almost no purpose.

An example comes to mind: Pokemon Forest Defender - See Spoiler

Spoiler:

In short, Darkrai explained things perfectly, but I'm weird, so I had to post anyway xD

Thanks for the update! And keep up the great work!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jun 22, 2016

I'd rather it be longer... Since newer, longer plots than just the E4 are funner 3:)

Unless you just want to beat em all or something...

DJTiki

Years
HEY LOOK another update! Now with Filling the Dex. I don't have another question on gaming aspects of hacking, but rather to give news, that I am moving, and therefore, will not be invested as much into the Guide. Of course, I'm getting my writing groove back, so even more quality updates.

So what do you think of the Guide as a whole so far?

Morlak

I am.
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jun 8, 2016
So what do you think of the Guide as a whole so far?

So far,it is SUPER MEGA ULTRA AMAZING!!Yeah ,i have many ideas but cant choose one,and this guide helps me!
I will patiently wait for updates. :) Goodluck

BrandoSheriff

Years
I think it's coming along nicely. It will definitely be a great tool for many people to use when it comes to making their own rom hack. It's helping me in many ways, causing me to rethink certain choices I made (like giving that powerful Fakemon Tough Claws lol), and alter many future plans so that my rom hack will be the best it can be.

DJTiki

Years
UPDATE! OMIGOSH I FINALLY FINISHED THE POKÉMON SECTION OF THE GUIDE! *celebrates.

Well next up, I'll finally cover trainers. :) I know, took me long enough. I don't have a question, just rejoice, in the completion of Pokémon, which took forver to write. Oh and I covered Legendary and Event Encounters.

Back