• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Article: What do you think of paid DLC in the games?

Years
I dont mind this and will be buying it. After all, it is no different to paying full price for "new" versions like with Sun/Moon and Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon etc.

Years
Doubt I will get this, Shield was so poor story wise, and now they want us to pay for a post game and £30 which is only £20-£30 less than what most paid for the full game, its a joke £90 for what we should of had and maybe more if they release downloadable content, pretty much daylight robbery. I'm all for downloadable content but if I'm paying £30 it better be more than a post game and pokemon that should of been in the game.

Also when home comes out would these pokemon that are being added be able to be transfered through from pokebank after the free update

Alex

what will it be next?
Years
  • Seen Dec 30, 2022
I think paid DLC is fine, especially at a lower price than the original games. If they went the way of Sun/Moon and just released UltraSword and UltraShield, priced it at $80 and called it a day, I likely wouldn't have bought them. Cheaper DLC that offers a smaller but better developed region sounds great. And it adds a bunch of old Pokemon, to boot. At the time of writing, it seems as though they put a lot more work into the Wild Area, which is what severely disappointed me about Sword and Shield. I thought it would be a ton of fun to explore every nook and cranny of the areas, but I found they are boring and samey. Nothing interesting to explore apart from new wild Pokemon. No story development entwined within the wild areas. Just a huge place with random NPCs and raid battles. It got old fast.

I'm a fan of expansions for the Pokemon series, as opposed starting new games over every couple of years. Most of us play the same character anyway, so if they treated Sword and Shield as the baseline "vanilla" game for the Switch going forward, each new installment could be a new region that your character travels to. You keep all your Pokemon that you trained up, and instead of catching 'em all every single time, you just catch the new ones and add on to your already-filled dex. You could just cheese and destroy all the gyms with your super leveled Pokemon, or catch the new ones and beat the game that way. The latter sounds way more fun to me, but whatever, it's up to you. Your character would have a super stocked wardrobe and you could collect items of clothing from all the different regions as the game adds more and more expansions. Treat it like World of Warcraft. Vanilla is Sword/Shield, then release a Burning Crusade, Wrath, Cataclysm, etc etc etc. That would be dope.

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Mar 17, 2020
When I first heard of the DLC I was so happy! Pokemon Sword is one of my favourite games and I am really excited to get some new content.
I will buy the DLC but I think it is a little bit pricy. I think it is like 30 Euro, right? But yeah I will still buy it and after that I will see if it was worth it. Haha xD
It just kinda reminds me of the Breath of the Wild and the Splatoon 2 DLC which where great and they cost only about 20 Euro.
I am not complaining or anything. Tbh I do not know everthing about the DLC because I want to enjoy the DLC and all of its content by myself. ^^

Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2023
If Sword/Shield was a game that had a good amount of content that kept me playing for hours past beating it I would welcome the DLC with open arms. But I beat the game at around 30 hours and then slowly stopped playing because there was barely anything to do after finishing.

My feelings are the game was already an extra $20 on the switch. I got a game that had about the same content as x and y, possibly a little less. Now if I want more content I have to pay more for an expansion that I feel probably should of just been apart of the game. So I'm not feeling wild about it all. Also is it confirmed there isn't going to be a third version because of this or is this just assumed?

Years
I think DLC was the right way to go personally. I like how we will be continuing the existing adventure, rather than starting a new one. I also like how it's cheaper than buying a new game lol.

Looking forward to it!

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
At first I'm tad bit reluctant on the Pokémon Sword/Shield's Expansion Pass when I heard that it'll have some costs, especially when a certain other Nintendo game that I played released sort of expansion updates without any charge, and I already have a feeling that DLC might be coming after the announcement of some Pokémon being cut and all.

Still, after I heard that they wanted to try this approach instead of putting some expanded versions like Emerald and Black 2/White 2 on sales, I'm starting to warm up on this approach by a bit, because I don't have to boot up a new game to have more features (unless if I wanted to start fresh with a new save file). Besides, buying the Expansion Pass for both games can be treated as if you're buying the third version in a way, because if let's say you only buy the Pass for Pokémon Sword, the price is only half of the flagship Switch games :tongue-poke:

So... Even though I'm tad bit cautious on this approach at first, maybe it'll grow on me as time goes, probably. Not to mention when the 'mons in the Pass will be available to transfer or trade regardless if you buy the Pass or not. So, I'll looking forward to the new updates when the Expansion Pass comes out, as well.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Already paid for the expansion and I couldn't be happier for it! I think it looks great and honestly I'm so excited that Game Freak's making good on including more older (and apparently new!) Pokémon, even if they're just being drip fed to us. It's a good compromise, imo, especially because restarting your adventure for a third game in the gen was always a little meh.

Years
While I'm glad to hear 200 more pokemon and new forms are coming, I am sad to say that I think Pokemon is going in a direction that I won't be able to afford for much longer. Even though I was really excited about the Galar region at first. Sorry guys!

60 dollars a game is not easy for me to come up with, please don't judge me for my wallet. I was having to adjust to the idea of not being able to pay 39.00 anymore, and having to add that extra 20 dollars. The paid dlc content is even tougher because now it locks me into having to make more than 1 purchase if I want to have the complete experience of a region.

If you were always going to buy more than one version of the game then just buying Sword/Shield and then an expansion pass is the more economical choice in the long-run. I personally was just planning on buying 1 game though. I thought it would still be possible to have the total adventure with one purchase, say a last installment called Pokemon Crown.

As gimmicky as having a third game released that had all of the content from the previous games and more was, if Game Freak refuses to have it all in the first games then it was a little easier for me to just wait patiently and buy the last game when it became available I.e just buy Platinum instead of Pearl and then Platinum. I hadn't bought pokemon Sword and Shield, even though I like what I had seen of Galar's style and it's creatures because I was holding out, expecting to wait a year and then pay my 60 dollars to have a definitive play through of Galar, instead of paying 60 dollars for say Pokemon Shield now and another 60 for say Pokemon Mace later, it made more sense to me just get the final game. Now if I want to do everything in the region I can't do it for 60 dollars, I'm going to have to go up to 90, buy 1 game and then buy dlc instead of just 1 game with everything. I like pokemon, but not as much as that, even though I am really curious about all of the new characters, places and stories that would open up to me if I bought the dlc.I'm not paying 90 dollars for the full gaming experience of a region-- that is too much, and I'm not paying 60 dollars for half of the experience either because it's not all of the game.

I genuinely hope everyone else has fun though and I might still buy the toys and watch the show and movies, but this is my bus stop to get off I think for the main series games ^_^

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen today
I'm unhappy, I would have just preferred more stuff to do in the main story. There was a lack of it and I'm disappointed that to make up for the empty feeling it means buying the DLC.

I would be happy if the games were full of stuff to do, then the DLC was added for people who wanted even more. Instead it feels like getting a portion of Galar and paying for the rest. I'd rather have a 3rd version, because it didn't stop them from releasing full games. You could get a full game out of Ruby and Sapphire without paying for Emerald, but if you bought Emerald you get the extra content and improvements.

Years
I think the price is a big put off if it was say £15 most would jump at that. I would consider it. It's just a cash grab to me, they should of just made a gen 4 remake and took their time with this game, galar is the worst region of the lot with no replay value to me, hopefully they learn from this and take their time so hopefully gen 9 is better. I'm happy to wait a couple of years for a quality game

Hopefully there might be some deals closer to release date.

I also think its a way to stop second hand sales, you need to have the game for dlc so can't sale it if you want the dlc.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Apr 17, 2024
I like the dlc. That said, I do feel sorry for those kids who's parents will never buy anything digitally. Those kids who has nothing but demos and free-to-play games on their device, and no Switch Online membership either. This is just a hard tease to them for something that they could/should have but never will (whether it's their first Pokémon game or third).

I also wonder if the official championship is going to allow the dlc Pokémon in the tournament for the first year or not. That means that anyone who enters either is required to buy the dlc, or go through the hassle of trading for the new Pokémon/items in order to have an equal playing field this year.

Double these statements again if there will be more than the current 2 dlc for the game.

Years
$30 is a high price in my opinion and if you own both games and want all the content for both you would be shelling out another $60. While I plan on getting only Pokemon Shield, I might still get this pass, but not immediately after I purchase the base game.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Apr 14, 2024
Without talking about Sword and Shield themselves I always thought that the third "versions" were a scam and prefer the DLC to paying full price for the base game plus some extra stuff. That being said I'm waiting for more info to come out. Specifically if more new regional forms and possibly more new pokemon are coming out

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
I mean, the best idea would have been to make the DLC content part of the game to begin with. With that said, I'd prefer a fix to the glaring main campaign flaws rather than added postgame content - this game sorely needed help in that regard. And for the record, either DLC or a third version could potentially address the game's issues, but this particular DLC seemingly is postgame content only.

And all bets are off if I have to put up with more of Hop's incessant rambling and whining in the DLC content. Nothing is worth having to deal with that moron again.

As for whether I'll be buying it, try asking me in June. I might not even be playing Shield anymore. I might not even have it anymore. Tough to tell at this point what my interest level in the game will be by release time. I've already lost a lot of interest in the game after running out of things to do in it, and this DLC might be too little too late if I've completely moved on to something else by the time it comes out.

Last edited:
Years
I haven't bought the games yet, I don't have the money lol, but I think if the DLCs are going to replace the third version then it's a good idea, but if they pulled this and then revealed a third version I'd be pissed.
But I don't think they will and also I think these DLCs confirm the DP remakes for some time in the future so that's good

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
The DLC is way better than having to pay an extra $60 for a UltraSword or UltraShield game. I don't mind shelling out an extra few bucks for it. I'm glad there was a solution to the whole "missing Pokemon" controversy. Plus, I'm looking foward to Galar Articuno.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 28, 2021
I am intrigued so I'll reserve judgement until June.

How many hours story play do you think we can expect from each pack?

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jan 9, 2021
+1 for liking this more than a remake, I didn't even bother buying Ultra SuMo

Another $45 AUD for an already $80 AUD game does make me wince a bit. Although the brand new content and areas does excite me a lot. I can't really judge if the DLC is worth it till I play, if it's really quick then that would be a huge disappointment. Well done GF though, they know they've got loyal suckers like me that will buy anything they put out no matter how ridiculous it is.

Back