• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen The Challenge of Finding & Capturing Legendary pokemon

Guy

just a guy
Years
Playing B2W2, I liked that concept that they were looking for you, but gameplay wise, it made it boring. So while it has a good reason, it's still something I wouldn't want to see in XY or subsequent games for that matter. The saving grace for legendaries in B2W2 is that there are a few you have to actively seek yourself, so just those three being out like "hey here I am" is overridden by many others that need more effort.
I think they should have used the Suicune approach for the trio in B2W2. Rather than have them just standing there out in the open waiting for you, they'd first play a game of run and chase instead before you finally get to battle / catch them. At least that would have made it a little bit more interesting.

well not something as hard like the regis in RSE but with a bit of challenge
On the contrary, I would love to see more puzzles involved. Those were a ton of fun in my opinion. It doesn't have to include Braille like in RSE, but something similar would be nice. Anything to add some challenge to the hunt for the new legendaries.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Challenge: Put them in a dark cave filled with level 70 Zubats
Catch rate: raise it to 5, I hate spamming 50 pokeballs to catch them =_=

and I like catching Legendaries in Unfitting pokeballs

"Oh, hey, Arceus" *spams Nest Balls*

That isn't really a challenge if you have a level 71... something and Flash. ;) Although if HMs couldn't be used that'd certainly be more of a challenge. XD;

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
Hopefully they make it like the regis and Beasts...maybe have them hidden than the legend flees from the cavern it's been awaken from...maybe a small minor disaster is caused by the curiosity of the player unleashing said legend.

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
Years
The Regi challenge was too difficult for children. At least I couldn't find them as a kid, although I did find about the code, and used up lots of batteries to translate it. Instead of writing them down, I think I translated them directly on paper, which was a bad idea.

It would be nice to actually do something. Maybe like Articuno? That cave is a pain even nowadays. I really hate it haha.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
Almost all of my 9 year old brother and his friends use Starter / Unfezant / Cobalion / Terrakion / Virizion literally just because it was a "cool legendary" and "easy to catch."

I hope that the legendary capture "puzzles" are more like the Regis, that was fun and hard. :3 I actually felt like a caught a legendary creature instead of a interactable Pokemon that was basically just presented to me!

I also hope that they don't pull a "buy this extra game called Dream Radar to get new formes!" because it's a hassle to get $3 on the 3DS for it. (took a while for it to work on my brother's)

I also really liked how in BW2, you weren't given the option of capturing the mascot as part of the main storyline. Since I knew that it was catchable somewhere, I actually had to go and figure out how to get it, which was nice. :3

Years
  • Age 34
  • UK
  • Seen Jan 29, 2013
I kind of like there to be a story behind why you're searching for it, or some sort of puzzle to solve to get them. It gives it more point. At the moment in Black 2 I just seem to be aimlessly running around to where I know legendary Pokémon are, starting a battle with them, and catching them, which has limited fun.

As for the difficulty of capture, I'm fine with the way it is. Sometimes I find it easy to catch them, but other times I find it challenging, and I think that's the right way for it to be.

PekoponTAS

Game Boy Advance Fan
Years
My favourite way to encounter legendaries is while exploring optional areas I was wanting to explore anyways. I like the mystery of exploring a cave and wondering if there's just going to be a rare item at the end, or a legendary. I also wish that the legendaries weren't plot points anymore. In red and blue all the birds and Mewtwo were pretty much a secret until you found them. Now the legendaries are always on the box or in the opening credits sequence. It kinda makes finding them less special when you know they're coming. If there's one thing Black 2 got right with legendaries, it was that there were no wandering legendaries. Those are the worst since it doesn't feel like you're having a grand battle with a mythical beast when they just run away all the time.

Back