• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] Why did you go into Game development?

carmaniac

Where the pickle surprise at?
Years
As the title pretty much says, what made you choose to go into game development. It's just something I've been wondering with everyone. And also as to why you wanted to go into it, what ambitions do you seek from the experience, are you doing it for fun or do you want to work in game development one day?

I'll start off, I got into game development due to one day my friend showed me about how he started making Pokémon games, that got me into thinking, this seems like fun making my own game.

DaSpirit

Mad Programmer
Years
At first I thought it was fun. It was only a hobby. I never expected this, but now I want to work in game development. I'm now in college where I'm hoping to pursue a degree in Computer Science. I'm not getting any experience anymore, I've already been programming for a long time so everything I make Pokemon related is for pure fun.

Cilerba

the hearts of lonely people
Years
I heard game developers get all the ladies so I wanted some of that.

In all seriousness, I always loved the idea of creating something of my own and being able to do whatever I want with it. I figured making games would be the best way to do that and here I am making a Pokémon fangame.

audinowho

Unovan Indeedee
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Mar 1, 2024
The better question for is... why not?

There's so much possibility in Pokemon that, in spite of the huge amount of coverage from existing media, still has fans like me wanting to see more. Such dreams of "what if this happened, or the games had that characteristic" type of situations. A look upon every Pokemon forum will show at least one or two Pokemon idea threads, often spanning long histories into early 2000's and full of ideas in every variety. Even when someone's complaining about the current state of Pokemon they're often still filled with ideas on which direction they want to take it. Eventually these kinds of fantasies turn into longing.

I actually wonder how it could be that not every Pokemon fan wants to make a fangame of their own, or work with one.

Such is the background for me. I guess it just seemed natural.

UnderMybrella

Wandering Programmer
Years
I've always seen... flaws in Pokémon, or rather, things that seemed underused. I mean, there are so many moves that just seem.... wasted. Battle only. I mean, what if every move could be used outside of battle???

That's what brought me to Abimon, and from there, I needed to make a game. Started off hacking, quit because of conscience and limits. Went to RPG Maker and quit because of limits, and then came to Java in the last month or so. So yeah.... For want of a better term, I saw what could be expanded on.

DarkDoom3000

Super Pokemon Eevee Edition
Years
I was more or less dissapointed in nintendo's efforts with pokemon.
there was so much potential, that was not being used.

BrainWave

A new idea sprouts
Years
Well, I was originally into Game Development to create a good Pokemon fangame.

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
Years
I got into gDev because I like to program, I would rather program games then websites and what not. I am not a designer nor do I ever plan to be I just wanna be an excellent programmer who works on many titles that go on to see good success and make a comfortable living off of that..

FirEmerald

Pokemon reverse engineer
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 18, 2015
why?

I did it because I thought it would be cool to make a game. And then it turned out that I was extremely good at programming, so I decided that it could be an active hobby. That's why.

Arma

The Hyena
Years
I got into developing because there many games (Pokemon being one of them) that could be so much better, just by changing a few things. I had lots of ideas about games, and I want to turn at least some of them into real playable games.

Yuzuki

C++ Programmer
Years
I jumped on the railroad because it´s for me intresting to see how a Game works underneith their hood and it´s beautiful to let your fantasy run wild (e.g. Maps).

kind regards
Syntax

~JV~

Dev of Pokémon Uranium
Years
One day, about 6-7 years ago a friend of mine showed me rmxp and I liked it, I just messed around with it using the default resources. At the same time, being a pokémon fan, I started playing Pokemon Crater, a browser pokemon game and found out about pixel art on the forums there. Then I created a region sprite project, named Tandor Region Project (the region on Uranium =p), it was all going good, the dex was growing and all when suddenly Pokemon Crater got down and never came back. That's when I move to PC and found out I could join together both of my interests! By that time there wasn't Essentials, it was just the old and buggy Blizzy's starter kit haha... good times!

Years
One day, about 6-7 years ago a friend of mine showed me rmxp and I liked it, I just messed around with it using the default resources. At the same time, being a pokémon fan, I started playing Pokemon Crater, a browser pokemon game and found out about pixel art on the forums there. Then I created a region sprite project, named Tandor Region Project (the region on Uranium =p), it was all going good, the dex was growing and all when suddenly Pokemon Crater got down and never came back. That's when I move to PC and found out I could join together both of my interests! By that time there wasn't Essentials, it was just the old and buggy Blizzy's starter kit haha... good times!

Ah yes I remember pokemon crater, I joined it an a week later Nintendo shut it down : / (or so my friends told me)

~Angel~

Lead developer for Pokémon Millennium
Years
I got into game creation to impress people honestly :/ I am bullied and stuff at school and I thought through completing a game I would you know be brought up as someone impressive and knowledgeable. It's working still but not only in the schools eyes but outside. Including PC, Along to my parents (Who I still think don't care)

Back