• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Yellow hack: Pokemon STRIKE! Yellow Version [BETA 0.5 W.I.P. - BETA 0.4 Available]

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2017
So, seems that I'm messing up my hex editor again. The rom got deleted again (0kb file) and half of the work dissapeared once more... It kinda pisses me off...

However, like the last time, I managed to recover (again) a backup. With said backup, I just managed to get rid off the useless route mazes but is ONLY THAT. Sorry.

Just to inform, some good things are happening IRL and everything is going pretty much well. 2017 will start decently good for me and that's enough for now. This means I'll keep working on the hack but slowly (like you have noticed until now). Remember that I'm a newbie yet and have to learn how to work with Notepad++ (Hex editing is fun but takes a lot of time).

The download link has been enabled again and THERE'S NO ANY KIND OF *.GBC FILE into it. IPS patch is available. I noticed today I have to fix the screenshot (the server crashed down), it will be done as soon as possible.

That's all for now. Thanks for the support and all the love that this small and humble hack has received in the last 2 years. I wish you all a Happy New Year and all your dreams come true; keep working to make them happening.

Drake Seawood.
Can you edit ROMs with Notepad++? Anyways, happy new year to you too!

Years
  • Seen Jul 3, 2019
thanks for the update! :)

question, how do i evolve pikachu in the latest version?
If it is not possible, that is fine too.

Years
  • Seen Jul 3, 2019
So, seems that I'm messing up my hex editor again. The rom got deleted again (0kb file) and half of the work dissapeared once more... It kinda pisses me off...

However, like the last time, I managed to recover (again) a backup. With said backup, I just managed to get rid off the useless route mazes but is ONLY THAT. Sorry.

Just to inform, some good things are happening IRL and everything is going pretty much well. 2017 will start decently good for me and that's enough for now. This means I'll keep working on the hack but slowly (like you have noticed until now). Remember that I'm a newbie yet and have to learn how to work with Notepad++ (Hex editing is fun but takes a lot of time).

The download link has been enabled again and THERE'S NO ANY KIND OF *.GBC FILE into it. IPS patch is available. I noticed today I have to fix the screenshot (the server crashed down), it will be done as soon as possible.

That's all for now. Thanks for the support and all the love that this small and humble hack has received in the last 2 years. I wish you all a Happy New Year and all your dreams come true; keep working to make them happening.

Drake Seawood.

Are you sure you have edited out the mazes? since they are still there and currently in cerulean city :P
Made a new rom with the patch, and they are pretty much identical.

Years
Can you edit ROMs with Notepad++? Anyways, happy new year to you too!
If I'm not wrong (since I haven't started reading any tutorial), Notepad++ works on the game source, then it can be applied to the ROM.

Are you sure you have edited out the mazes? since they are still there and currently in cerulean city :P
Made a new rom with the patch, and they are pretty much identical.
I edited all the land route mazes. Cities are the same. I don't get the "maze" at Cerulean tho, since everybody can get to Charmander's giver and the GYM right off the bat.

Years
  • Seen Jul 3, 2019
I edited all the land route mazes. Cities are the same. I don't get the "maze" at Cerulean tho, since everybody can get to Charmander's giver and the GYM right off the bat.

Land route? As in, everything outside caves/dungeons?
Because mount moon still had mazes (the part where you get the moonstone for example)

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 22, 2024
Does anyone have the IPS Patch of the Final Version? I don't really want the GBC file, just the IPS. I'd appreciate it if someone could re upload it. :)

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 25, 2017
Hey!

This might be the best GEN 1 remake, yet I can't download it :(

Can you please reupload the download files, so I can play this :) also, can I still trigger the professor oak battle?

Years
Does anyone have the IPS Patch of the Final Version? I don't really want the GBC file, just the IPS. I'd appreciate it if someone could re upload it. :)
link rom update?
The link has been refreshed.
Hey!

This might be the best GEN 1 remake, yet I can't download it :(

Can you please reupload the download files, so I can play this :) also, can I still trigger the professor oak battle?
No, I removed the Prof. Oak data from the game. I don't know if the bug is still triggerable, though.

EDIT: Eventually, I'll refresh the ROM trailer and the screenshoots. Regards.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen yesterday
Aside from updating the screenshots and the trailer, are there any more updates or bug fixes to be done to this game?

Years
Aside from updating the screenshots and the trailer, are there any more updates or bug fixes to be done to this game?
Recently, someone noticed me about a couple of inconsistencies in some pokemon's learnset. I've fixed that so far.

If you mean bug fixes to battle mechanics, the answer is no. I have to figure out how to do so yet.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen yesterday
Recently, someone noticed me about a couple of inconsistencies in some pokemon's learnset. I've fixed that so far.

If you mean bug fixes to battle mechanics, the answer is no. I have to figure out how to do so yet.
Does this mean we can expect a new release soon?

Years
Does this mean we can expect a new release soon?
Probably, but not SOON at all. At least, I'm trying to decrease the level curve since the poll is very clear about it.

EDIT: Well, seems that some learnsets are messing aroung yet. I really don't know what's happening, maybe I did something wrong. PLEASE DON'T ASK FOR DOWNLOAD LINKS UNTIL I REUPLOAD THE GAME. Thanks.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Aug 25, 2018
Hey guys,

In the latest version, is it even POSSIBLE to get Magikarp? Or is it left out on purpose?

Years
Not sure if the new patch will have some pokemon moved from different areas but I'll put down what I've managed to dig up so far jeje. I dunno what version of the patch I'm using but here's what I found so far with my version of STRIKE! Yellow:

Spoiler:

I fixed my rom using a hex editor. This is what I did.

Learnset and Evolution Pointer Data:
Spoiler:

Learnset and Evolution Data: *Updated 10/05/2017
Spoiler:

Level 1 Moveset + Pokemon Base stats Data - Update 10/05/2017
Spoiler:

Hope you guys have as much fun playing as I did dissecting this game. I'd like to thank the authors of the Pokemon Yellow Disassembly on GitHub and Dylan Holmes for the help with this. Oh and Drake for making an amazing Rom Hack. :D.

n27fQd6.png
qxv87w1.png

Update: I created a patch, who knew it would be as easy as click, search, and click lol.

Feel free to use my notes to do whatever. Inside is a list of the changes I've made next to each pokemon and where that data can be found and manipulated if you go to that offset. Hopefully a tool can be made from this!

I don't mind creating a spreadsheet or something with pointer information if it helps. I have the time right now, I'll just finish what I'm doing and verifying wild pokemon encounters. The patch has the B/W EXP system also for more balanced playthroughs. I suggest sharking an EXP. ALL into your inventory once you have a party so you're not switching in and out. Watch out for Psyduck, he somehow learned Dragon Rage by some ungodly miracle making him of use in the first few minutes of play. I'm thinking there's some differences between the relative address and absolute addresses for the learnsets, but at least they will be more 'colorful'... lol.

My Notes - Word Pad document
Wild Pokemon Locations
VMV File of VS the Elite 4 - To be played within VBA-M SVN 1030 if you wanna see what the Elite 4 are like

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 27, 2023
Not sure if the new patch will have some pokemon moved from different areas but I'll put down what I've managed to dig up so far jeje. I dunno what version of the patch I'm using but here's what I found so far with my version of STRIKE! Yellow:

Spoiler:

I fixed my rom using a hex editor. This is what I did.

Learnset and Evolution Pointer Data:
Spoiler:

Learnset and Evolution Data: *Updated 10/05/2017
Spoiler:

Level 1 Moveset + Pokemon Base stats Data - Update 10/05/2017
Spoiler:

Hope you guys have as much fun playing as I did dissecting this game. I'd like to thank the authors of the Pokemon Yellow Disassembly on GitHub and Dylan Holmes for the help with this. Oh and Drake for making an amazing Rom Hack. :D.

n27fQd6.png
qxv87w1.png

Update: I created a patch, who knew it would be as easy as click, search, and click lol.

Feel free to use my notes to do whatever. Inside is a list of the changes I've made next to each pokemon and where that data can be found and manipulated if you go to that offset. Hopefully a tool can be made from this!

I don't mind creating a spreadsheet or something with pointer information if it helps. I have the time right now, I'll just finish what I'm doing and verifying wild pokemon encounters. The patch has the B/W EXP system also for more balanced playthroughs. I suggest sharking an EXP. ALL into your inventory once you have a party so you're not switching in and out. Watch out for Psyduck, he somehow learned Dragon Rage by some ungodly miracle making him of use in the first few minutes of play. I'm thinking there's some differences between the relative address and absolute addresses for the learnsets, but at least they will be more 'colorful'... lol.

My Notes - Word Pad document

IPS Patch 10/06/2017

This patch is strike yellow patch + your own edits?

Years
Right, the version of Strike Yellow I had on my desktop was incomplete or too buggy to play. Imagine running around with a lvl 30 pidgey and rattata trying to get through Nugget Bridge and not being able to get past Gary because the only moves they know are tackle and growl! Pikachu's moveset was working, but a solo Pikachu run is boring for me.

So I decided to take the time and fix it. I dunno what version of the patch it is, there was no documentation so I made my own and came here to post the finished product since the last post on here was from Drake saying that he's taken the DL link away and didn't know when it would be fixed. I didn't even bother checking since I was almost done lol.

My notes dictate what I changed and the offsets for that data where it can be manipulated. I did enhance the wild encounter levels from the patch so that we're not fighting lvl 3 Pokemon in an area with Trainers with teams around LVL 12-18. It's most notable where the changes were made as you get closer to Celadon City. All wild encounter levels were given a 50% increase, and although the tool I was using returned Slowbro as a 1% encounter at Route 4, I actually came across Slowpoke so I'm currently in the process of verifying Wild Encounters and level up sets to make sure they are working. Also, I do know that it is not in fact a 25% encounter rate for the highest rate, it is actually 20% and lower but I kinda don't wanna go and read off the data manually off the hex editor lol.

Eventually, I would really like to update Mewtwo's sprite. I can imagine how much work Drake went through to update it but if it's not a problem with him I'd like to update it to something more like this:

UKlH30O.png

aJ7BfrB.png

I could work on the images, but as for inserting it into the game I have no idea where to start lol. So I started working on this just because but apparently Paint won't let me grey scale these like I wanted to. Is there another program I should be using?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 27, 2023
Right, the version of Strike Yellow I had on my desktop was incomplete or too buggy to play. Imagine running around with a lvl 30 pidgey and rattata trying to get through Nugget Bridge and not being able to get past Gary because the only moves they know are tackle and growl! Pikachu's moveset was working, but a solo Pikachu run is boring for me.

So I decided to take the time and fix it. I dunno what version of the patch it is, there was no documentation so I made my own and came here to post the finished product since the last post on here was from Drake saying that he's taken the DL link away and didn't know when it would be fixed. I didn't even bother checking since I was almost done lol.

My notes dictate what I changed and the offsets for that data where it can be manipulated. I did enhance the wild encounter levels from the patch so that we're not fighting lvl 3 Pokemon in an area with Trainers with teams around LVL 12-18. It's most notable where the changes were made as you get closer to Celadon City. All wild encounter levels were given a 50% increase, and although the tool I was using returned Slowbro as a 1% encounter at Route 4, I actually came across Slowpoke so I'm currently in the process of verifying Wild Encounters and level up sets to make sure they are working. Also, I do know that it is not in fact a 25% encounter rate for the highest rate, it is actually 20% and lower but I kinda don't wanna go and read off the data manually off the hex editor lol.

Eventually, I would really like to update Mewtwo's sprite. I can imagine how much work Drake went through to update it but if it's not a problem with him I'd like to update it to something more like this:

UKlH30O.png

aJ7BfrB.png

I could work on the images, but as for inserting it into the game I have no idea where to start lol. So I started working on this just because but apparently Paint won't let me grey scale these like I wanted to. Is there another program I should be using?

Awesome man, I'll play through this soon and give you feedback been kind of hooked on sun and moon. I apprecaite your work, I love gen 1 hacks. If you could get that sprite in their or even add in a separate mewtwo that would be epic.

You know I can see this little project youre trying lead into a rom hack which would be awesome.

Years
Awesome man, I'll play through this soon and give you feedback been kind of hooked on sun and moon. I apprecaite your work, I love gen 1 hacks. If you could get that sprite in their or even add in a separate mewtwo that would be epic.

You know I can see this little project youre trying lead into a rom hack which would be awesome.

Haha, thank you! I doubt it, if anything I'd just add onto this rom hack. I'm not good enough with ASM, but I'm a pro with a hex editor lol.

Also in my playthrough I've noticed some moves changed, like Focus Energy no longer increases critical hit rate but now gives +1 Attack/ x1.50 Attack. I'll document that eventually. I actually got sidetracked into hacking some cheat codes for another hack here on the forums called Polished Crystal. While I was searching for the addresses I actually became interested in how that game works jaja. Right now I'm at Goldenrod City and loving the game. It's nice to take a break every now and then.

Back