• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Battle's of the Past

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2010
Actually, I realised a mistake when fixing the problem Rachael told me about. I added the barn after finishing the basic layout to make the farm bigger. I copied the door from the shop and forgot to remove the time restriction. It will not be in the next release. Try changing the time on your computer to before 8pm and the door will open. It is the one with the Miltank and Mareep next to it.
Ahh, that's probably the reason, I was playing at 1AM haha. It works now.

EDIT; I had an error. I wanted to deposit Ponyta into the Pokébag but after I clicked on the box it had an error message and the game shut down. I didn't copy what it said though.

Besides that it looks really original and I like the idea of pokémon running around instead of grass. It just kind of bothers me that it takes so loooong to go to a certain place. But maybe that problem is solved when you get the running shoes.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jul 19, 2017
It just kind of bothers me that it takes so loooong to go to a certain place. But maybe that problem is solved when you get the running shoes.

Ah, so you didn't make it to Indigo Plateau. If you did, I suggest you look a little harder. Why waste time with a storage shed? Hmm...

Second Coming of Jebus

pies be with you
Years
I like the idea of this, but these graphics wouldn't really feel like a pokemon game to me. I would play it if you had pokemon-like graphics though, but I'm quite picky.

InMooseWeTrust

Jack of All Trades
Years
Just downloaded and gave the demo a run.

I like it, but there are some things I would consider changing. At times what you have to do is vague and unclear, and you have some grammar errors. But this is a start. Your mapping needs a few adjustments, mostly on the interiors actually. Long stretched hallways aren't really necessary.

Thank you for the feedback. We're only two people and we started less than two months ago, so we're still having a lot of trouble putting things together. Hopefully, the next releases will be big improvements.

I like the idea of this, but these graphics wouldn't really feel like a pokemon game to me. I would play it if you had pokemon-like graphics though, but I'm quite picky.

Well, if you're one of those people who think that even the slightest deviation from the norm (like a change of style for the map graphics) is automatically bad and undesirable regardless of how it is used, then I don't think I want your support.

Years
Hmm, I just remembered something. I had an idea almost like this, it was based before PokeBalls and the Pokedex and all of the modern Pokemon conveniences (Poke Center etc). And the Pokedex was going to be like a Notepad and the Pokemon sprites were going to look like sketches in the Pokedex. I didn't go ahead with it, but maybe you could use my Pokedex idea. With the Pokemon sprites looking like sketches I mean. Cause I know your already using the "Pokepad" idea.

pkmn.master

Hobbyist Game Developer
Years
  • Age 28
  • USA
  • Seen Jun 7, 2022
I'm not being mean or anything,but I think you should take the advice of all the users wanting Pokemon graphics.It might be a great game,and the story sounds amazing,but it doesn't feel like we are playing a Pokemon game.Graphics are a main priority,just like story.Maybe you could try to make two different versions,one with Pokegraphics,and one with pre-imported graphics.Or,get a a script that will let the player change the tileset to a kyledove tileset.

Fangking Omega

Acanthite founder
Years
I'm not being mean or anything,but I think you should take the advice of all the users wanting Pokemon graphics.It might be a great game,and the story sounds amazing,but it doesn't feel like we are playing a Pokemon game.Graphics are a main priority,just like story.Maybe you could try to make two different versions,one with Pokegraphics,and one with pre-imported graphics.Or,get a a script that will let the player change the tileset to a kyledove tileset.

I'm not sure you've grasped that they want to differ from the norm... :S

Years
  • Age 31
  • UK
  • Seen Jul 11, 2023
Haha!

I'm liking this game. I've always thought those sort of tiles would suit Pokémon. The OW Pokémon don't clash with the graphics either, I'm very impressed. :)

InMooseWeTrust

Jack of All Trades
Years
Hmm, I just remembered something. I had an idea almost like this, it was based before PokeBalls and the Pokedex and all of the modern Pokemon conveniences (Poke Center etc). And the Pokedex was going to be like a Notepad and the Pokemon sprites were going to look like sketches in the Pokedex. I didn't go ahead with it, but maybe you could use my Pokedex idea. With the Pokemon sprites looking like sketches I mean. Cause I know your already using the "Pokepad" idea.

Sorry, but we don't want sketches as the Pokémon battler sprites because that would mean you battle pencil sketches. What we would like is 3rd generation sized battler sprites of 4th generation Pokémon.

*sigh*...
1. Because this game takes place so far back in time, we're trying to create the feel of a classical RPG while still retaining the qualities of a Pokémon game. I think fangame developers are too fixated on the graphics of the Version games to try different aesthetic and gameplay styles. Pokémon Ranger and Mystery Dungeon games turned the ideas of traditional Pokémon games on their heads. Is that a bad thing? Of course not! I actually had more fun with the Ranger and Mystery Dungeon games than I did with the Version games, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. There's no doubt that we're going to attract a different audience than most of the other fangames in this forum.
2. Two different graphics styles? That would be a colossal waste of labor and time. We're only two people (the staff will continue to stay relatively small into the future) and the game is pretty small in scope, so we don't want to create too much work for ourselves.
3. Why Kyledove tileset? The vast majority of game developers in this forum think that's the only acceptable visual style that can ever be used in a Pokémon game.

I'm not sure you've grasped that they want to differ from the norm... :S

Thank you.

Haha!

I'm liking this game. I've always thought those sort of tiles would suit Pokémon. The OW Pokémon don't clash with the graphics either, I'm very impressed. :)

Thank you for your support. This is exactly why we're using tweaked versions of Mystery Dungeon sprites.

By the way, in the future the wild Pokémon events will be more reasonable so that they don't disappear completely after you battle them once.

Misty4Life

~Paired with a bribed shipper~
Years
I wasn't sure if I should say anything(in case it's just my computer messing up on me), but I can't seem to open the file once I download it. I double click on the newly downloaded file, and a message asks me if I want to save or open it. If I hit open it, instead of opening it the same message pops up. No matter how many times I click it. If I save it again, the message goes away, but when I click on the new file the same message appears. Is there any way you can help me? Because I love the unique design of the game! This is the first game I've ever downloaded off of this website, and I can't wait to try it if I can figure out how to work it.

Vampire://Krimm

→ clocks everywhere →
Years
Hmm~

I find this to be a very interesting idea in particular. I'll admit I haven't played the demo, mainly because I'm exhausted and too tired to play through it right now XD But I read through the thread and it seems to be very unique. I think the idea could be a really great success if executed right.

The only complaint of mine would be the tiles. I'm not complaining that they're the RMXP default, I've actually played some of the best RMXP games (IMO xP) that use the default graphics, however I think that they don't work for the atmosphere that I'm getting from this game. Though I'm only offering my opinion, I think the basic Pokemon Tilesets but altered would work well. Like the same tree structure and whatnot, but I think more shading and details added into the tileset LIKE the RMXP with the same pallet to give it that rustic feeling.

Suggestions, Suggestions :x But in any case I love this idea! I really hope to see it go far~

Years
I mean if you can find a way to make the Pokemon sprites in the Pokedex read from a different set of sprites. What I mean is if you can figure out a way, make it so the Pokedex uses a different set of sprites then the battles.

InMooseWeTrust

Jack of All Trades
Years
Hmm~

I find this to be a very interesting idea in particular. I'll admit I haven't played the demo, mainly because I'm exhausted and too tired to play through it right now XD But I read through the thread and it seems to be very unique. I think the idea could be a really great success if executed right.

The only complaint of mine would be the tiles. I'm not complaining that they're the RMXP default, I've actually played some of the best RMXP games (IMO xP) that use the default graphics, however I think that they don't work for the atmosphere that I'm getting from this game. Though I'm only offering my opinion, I think the basic Pokemon Tilesets but altered would work well. Like the same tree structure and whatnot, but I think more shading and details added into the tileset LIKE the RMXP with the same pallet to give it that rustic feeling.

Suggestions, Suggestions :x But in any case I love this idea! I really hope to see it go far~

We're planning on doing a whole series of games, so maybe that's something to think about for the next game we make after we finish this one.

I mean if you can find a way to make the Pokemon sprites in the Pokedex read from a different set of sprites. What I mean is if you can figure out a way, make it so the Pokedex uses a different set of sprites then the battles.

That's not really high on our priorities list, but it is definitely something to think about.

Years
  • Seen Jul 19, 2017

A different look in the dex is something I have considered. I think I know how to do it too but haven't tested it. What I had planned to do was sepia coloured images for the dex entries. Sketches are a good idea too.

Vampire://Krimm said:

I understand that some people are unhappy with the tile choices. I am not that great at graphics (I designed the back sprite for the lead character and the battle sprite for the rival and they are bad :embarrass) so altering the tileset to a more rustic setting would take me a long time and would probably not look nowhere near as good as the default RMXP tilesets. At one point I did consider using Harvest Moon style tilesets but couldn't find enough resources to steal borrow.

Also, the tree stucture in official Pokemon games are boring. If anybody can post images of a real forest, that has been left to grow by it's own devices (no human influence), with trees in perfect rows, I will alter my maps.

pkmn.master said:

So far in this thread there are 3 posts about not liking the look of the graphics out of 25. It seems the majority of people who have posted so far are in favor of a bit of change. I will not be creating two sets of maps. I have a job and an offline life. Making one style of map takes long enough. I like Kyledove's work and the public tiles are fantastic. However, they are far too overused by developers here (as are the GBA tiles). Sorry that I want to be different but things change. InMooseWeTrust mentioned the graphics of Mystery Dungeon and Ranger games. What about Colosseum and Pokemon XD? They were a radical departure and they looked awesome.

Years
  • Seen Aug 7, 2009
I just found another glitch: when I entered the inn at Indigo Plateau, I found myself inside a house in Pallet Town. When I came out, I was in Pallet Town! It was a little irksome, because I was hoping to find those running shoes you hinted at.

If you're still looking for volunteers, I'd love to get involved whilst I'm not in uni. Frankly, I'm a bit of a Luddite, but I did manage to do a reasonable impersonation of SMW (or, at least, the basic mechanics of it) with Game Maker 7 last summer. If you'd like me to work on some sprites, let me know. I'm no artist, but I am a perfectionist!

Years
  • Seen Jul 19, 2017
I just found another glitch: when I entered the inn at Indigo Plateau, I found myself inside a house in Pallet Town. When I came out, I was in Pallet Town! It was a little irksome, because I was hoping to find those running shoes you hinted at.

I have no idea how that glitch happened. All the doors in Indigo Plateau redirected to that house. I remember checking that before I released the first version. It is fixed in version 1.2. If you download that, you will get a couple more events before the end of the demo. If you don't know, copy the save file called "Game.rxdata" into the new directory to keep your old save.

On another note, I have fully implemented a new look for the Pokedex including different graphics for the Pokemon. The way I had thought it would work was completely wrong. The actual solution was so easy (I may post how I did it later). Check out the images. You see a wild battle, Pokémon info screen have the normal sprite and the final image is the Poképad image.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Sep 27, 2021
Nice to see you around here again MOOSE! are you co-creator of this game aswell or just helping?

anywho I like the idea and unique nature of this. I actually agree with all the things krimm mentioned. Maybe find some or make some pokemon style tiles that look older. that would look better even if your going for a different look or feel. anyway good luck with this project.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back