• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How much are your parents involved?

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
Years
So, simple question, how much do your parents know about Pokemon? Did your childhood experience with Pokemon lead to your parents ever interacting with it? Did they watch a movie, play a game, battle you upon your request... etc?

As for me, oooooh yeeaaahh haha. As I grew up as a child, my parents (And mostly my mom) were like, my Pokemon slaves so to speak. My mom battled me time and time again (Mostly in Emerald), I made her play the TCG with me. My mom has seen every episode of Pokemon since the very beginning till somewhere near the end of the first Advanced season, multiple times. She's seen Pokemon 4 Ever about 20 times, at the least. She's seen Spell of the Unown like 50 times, same goes for Power of One, Jirachi Wish Maker, Destiny Deoxys, Mewtwo Strikes Back, and Heroes: Latias and Latios.

My mom knows so much about Pokemon it's not even funny. She's even memorized the name of every one of the first 251 Pokemon xD

That's not to mention my dad, who has also seen countless movies and episodes multiple times. Though I tend to feel that my mom actually enjoyed them sometimes xD Well, at least up until the point where she'd seen each one like 15 times lol.

infersaime

Come and get me
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
My parents are involved in pokemon well when I was younger.When I was sick I sometimes saw a pokemon movie and mostly my mom would watch it. My Dad only saw the Entei movie. And they used to buy me a lot of pokemon tcg cards because I collected them.

Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2014
When i was little they'd buy me games, cards, movies you name it but now all they say is and i quote "YOU'RE TOO OLD FOR POKEMON!!"

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Currently, my mom is trying to wean me from Pokemon, but in the past, she still supported my interest in it.

trapincher

Rocket Executive
Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2014
My parents never really liked it. They always thought I would "grow out of it" eventually. They would "go along" with me. All they knew about Pokemon were Pikachu and Ash. I did stop for a while (they were glad for that). I did get back into Pokemon later on and they complained about it constantly.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
They never really payed attention to it. And I am an Anime lover so they know it will be awhile before I grow out of it if ever. However they know a few things about pokemon. Also,my sister watched it some,she likes the Eeveelutions,Eevee and Pikachu. They use to hate me spending so much money on cards when I did,but sense I have stopped buying cards,they are starting to see how many kids by the cards sense my Mom works at walmart. And in most cases,it is a lot worst now. They are buying more than I ever did.

Sorry for getting off topic a little there.

Fuyuki~

Banned
Years
What parents don't know about Pokemon? They know the basics of Pokemon like Pikachu and some of the story behind the cartoon, but that's it. They never played Pokemon before.

Altomare

Purupuru!
Years
How should I put it...they don't really care. I bet the only pokemon they know is Pikachu...
Fortunately they don't try to remove my interest in it.
The last time they talked to me about pokemon, it was to control my spending, because I buy the Adventures manga every other week and the're a little expensive....

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I don't think my mom knows anything real about Pokemon. Once there was a thread "ask your parents their favorite Pokemon" and she remembered Mew from the first movie but that's about it. She knows all about my PC life though.

SamuJake

I beat Red when I was 8' bro.
Years
My parents never really liked it. They always thought I would "grow out of it" eventually. They would "go along" with me. All they knew about Pokemon were Pikachu and Ash. I did stop for a while (they were glad for that). I did get back into Pokemon later on and they complained about it constantly.

Your parents shouldn't really do that. Theres a lot of other things you could be doing instead that are hell of a lot worse.

My parents never really got involved with me and Pokemon, as a kid I use to mention it sometimes. But they never asked in depth questions about it. My mum knows Pikachu and Ash and the other 3 main starters, but other then that, no.

However they were a lot more involved with other hobbies I had as a kid like Yugioh and Beyblade haha.

Twilight Sky

» s t r a w b e r r y fields ♪
Years
  • Seen Aug 7, 2013
lol, my parents knowing anything about Pokemon. u_u What a joke.

I wish they were cool enough to know Pokemon stuff. It'd be embarrassing but awesome at the same time.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
My mom bought me cards, toys, movies, and Pokemon books. She knew that I really liked Pokemon. Althought she doesn't know the franchise that much lol. She knows I'm watching Pokemon tho, when she hears 'PIKACHU' she knows I'm watching it haha

Years
When I was younger my parents (my mom, moreso) would watch the show with me, buy me the cards and even took me to one or two of the movies. After I stopped watching the anime full time, they stopped caring about the series. They didn't really say anything about me playing the games or anything, though, but I don't think they minded either way.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
I would have loved if my parents were more involved, or at least my Mom. But I think they seen it as a kind of really childish thing and didn't quite get it. I think my Mom still knows I go to PC, I had to hide it for the longest time, now I don't really hide it but don't flaunt it in front of her.

I think it shows great support if your parents can get involved in any of your interests, especially something fun like Pokémon!

Years
My dad used to buy me all of the typical Pokémon stuff (movies, TCG cards, toys, and the games), but he never really understood what it was himself. He just knew that I liked Pokémon (or "Pokémans", as he would call it). As far as he's concerned, every Pokémon is named "Pikachu". He always really liked Bulbasaur, for some reason.

My dad did get more into Digimon when I was younger, though, but he even called them "Pokémans". Maybe he thought they were the same thing?

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
Not a lot. My dad complains that it's my only current interest. I've convinced him and my mom to play the TCG with me, but neither of them like it or will play it with me anymore. I think my dad battled me once, but yeah now he won't anymore.

Yellow Silver Nostalgia

Those Were The Days
Years
  • Seen Aug 20, 2014
At Christmas, I asked them to buy me the game, and on my birthday, they took me to see the movie, but unfortunately, that's it as far as interaction went.

Triston1zn

GYM LEADER
Years
Well, My parents are the reason I have a split personality lol.....I'm half surfer dude half nerd.

my mum actually got me started on pokemon when she bought me the games and the Tshirts and dvd's etc....my dad felt it was all rather...GAY, and decided to take me rock climbing and surfing and made me do manly things as often as possible......my mum bought me a cute Pikachu costume for halloween once and my dad had a frikin SPAZ attack....yeah

Back