• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: Pokemon Perfect Crystal (Updated 5th of April 2019) - Original Version

Years
  • Seen Sep 5, 2023
When Pokemon Crystal was released, it was the ultimate experience of classic Game Boy/Game Boy Color Pokemon. Now this classic can be played the way it always should have been!

The goal of this hack has been to make an idealized definitive version of Pokemon Crystal that has every Pokemon available to catch and to fix a number of glaring glitches that hampered the original game.

This is the original version, where Red has Level 100 Pokemon and encounter rates for some added Pokemon are extremely low.

Only minor changes have been made, see below for details:

Version 1.0 (28/01/2018):

• All 251 Pokemon catchable.
  • Pokemon that normally evolve with trades, evolve through the use of stones.
  • Stones and items that could only be obtained through Mystery Gift available at department stores.
  • The GS Ball and Celebi event can be triggered after Mount Silver has been unlocked.
  • Fixed a bunch of glitches such as the problems with some of Kurt's balls and several items.
  • Increased opponents levels to match HGSS (Except Red who has Level 100 Pokemon just for fun, he is supposed to be the best trainer in the world after all). This is mainly noticeable in late Johto and Kanto.
  • Made all Gym Leaders rematchable. Just talk to them again and they will ask for a rematch.
  • Removed the badge boosts and the extra chances the AI has to miss on status moves to create parity between the player and the AI.
  • Ho-Oh and Lugia have their signature moves when you encounter them.
  • Reuseable TM's.
  • Hold down B to run.
  • Restored Japanese sprites for the Beauty, Sage, Medium, female Swimmer and Fisherman.
  • Simplified the clock reset procedure on the intro screen. Simply hold down "Down", "B" and "Select". No need to enter in a password.

Update (29/01/2018):

• Restored the original Japanese sprite for Jynx.

Update (08/02/2018):

• Tiny adjustment to a single trainer's Pokemon levels that was missed.

Update (25/06/2018):

• The readme file has been updated with the secret locations for the legendary birds and Mew at the bottom of the document. (Keep scrolling)

Update (18/02/2019):

• Moved the 3 legendary birds to more logical locations around Johto and Kanto.

Update (24/02/2019):

• Fixed a bunch more glitches such as the Magikarp length bug, Light Ball bug and the Belly Drum glitch.

Update (01/03/2019):

• Adjusted the levels of the 3 legendary birds to have a more appropriate move set when you encounter them.
  • Made all but one of the unobtainable decorations unlock upon defeating the Elite 4.
  • Made the Gold Trophy unlock upon defeating Red.

Update (21/03/2019):

• Cleaned up the entrance to Cerulean Cave by extending the ledge on Route 4 over the water. This avoids a bug where your sprite disappears when you start surfing off the ledge.
  • Cleaned up the added dialogue by replacing instances of ". . ." with "…" to match the rest of the game.

Update (05/04/2019):

• Cleaned up some minor grammar mistakes in the dialogue.

The readme file includes a list of changed encounters and evolutions.

The attached IPS works with Pokemon - Crystal Version (UE) (V1.1) [C][!] MD5: 301899B8087289A6436B0A241FBBB474 and the patched rom should have a checksum of c448.

You can also download the hack here.

You can also access it on Github Here.

3840screenshot1.png
3840screenshot2.png
3840screenshot3.png

Encounters and Evolutions:

Spoiler:

Credits:

• The great work of the Pokemon Crystal Disassembly Project.
  • Crystal__ and Rangi For helping me work out how to delete the extra chances the AI has to miss on status moves.
  • Maniac379's Pokemon White Crystal provided the code for Cerulean Cave and the Original Japanese sprites.

Attachments

• 3840readme.txt
    2.9 KB · Views: 597
  • Pokemon Perfect Crystal.zip
    200.3 KB · Views: 1,280
Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Sep 5, 2023
how long is the current build?

The full game from New Bark Town to Red. Most of the changes I made were relatively minor so it is still mostly akin to normal Crystal except for trainer levels later in the game, the fact that all Pokemon are obtainable, a few glitches fixed and a few other minor things. I kind of see this as my personal ideal version of Pokemon Crystal.

Last edited:

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
not bad, surprised its a complete version already. Not often that happens.

It would be nice to have a expanded battle tower to be more like the battle fronteir but thats up to you

EDIT: Is there a phys/spec plit like gen 4? I dont see any indication of it and that worries me a bit due to a lot of pokemon becoming useless as a result.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Aug 20, 2021
Are any pokemon moved around and made more available? Like hondour/murkrow and the like not available in Johto?

Years
  • Seen Sep 5, 2023
EDIT: Is there a phys/spec plit like gen 4? I dont see any indication of it and that worries me a bit due to a lot of pokemon becoming useless as a result.

No, its the same as ordinary Crystal in this respect. I thought about it but decided to keep the moves the same as I remember back when I was a kid.

Are any pokemon moved around and made more available? Like hondour/murkrow and the like not available in Johto?

Houndour has been added to Route 36 and 37 to be encountered at night

Murkrow has been added to Route 38 to be encountered at night

Slugma has been added to Burned Tower B1F to be encountered during the day

Tendoman77

Formerly known as "Da Man"
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
Hmm, isn't this what Polished Crystal pretty much already is cept with far less of the new features and maps and such that hack will have? Unless its intended to stay mostly faithful to the original game outside the whole "251 hack" thing. Only curious is all.

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
Hmm, isn't this what Polished Crystal pretty much already is cept with far less of the new features and maps and such that hack will have? Unless its intended to stay mostly faithful to the original game outside the whole "251 hack" thing. Only curious is all.

yeah its ment to be more faithful to the original which makes a lot of sense in a way due to the recent re-release of crystal for the 3DS virtual console.

I will miss the spec/phys split however, and it'll hurt to miss out on sludge bomb on a venusaur.

Years
  • Seen Sep 5, 2023

Yea. Its definitely not trying to do the same thing as Polished Crystal. I guess you could say that I tried to make Vanilla Crystal a complete game without changing too much.

Tendoman77

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
Yea. Its definitely not trying to do the same thing as Polished Crystal. I guess you could say that I tried to make Vanilla Crystal a complete game without changing too much.

Alright that's understandable, might try this one day then since it sounds promising,

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Aug 14, 2021
Are there any new maps or features added in that were either removed or missing from the original Crystal?

Years
  • Seen Sep 5, 2023
Are there any new maps or features added in that were either removed or missing from the original Crystal?

Only Cerulean Cave, I couldn't bare putting Mewtwo anywhere else. It has a guard that disappears when you have all 8 Kanto badges and unlock Mount Silver just like in Gen 1.

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Aug 14, 2021
I'd recommend a few things:

- 251 Pokémon obtainable in game
- Restored maps from R/B/Y (Viridian Forest, Pewter Museum, Seafoam Islands, Safari Zone)
- Move Re-learner
- A more balanced difficulty (using HG/SS as a base for stats possibly, improving more mid to late game trainers in Johto and Kanto)
- Gym Leader rematch in Fighting Dojo in Saffron (battle any leader, any time of day, all day)
- Round 2 Pokémon League with levels matching or similar to HG/SS)

These are the features I would like to see in any Crystal hack. Good luck on your hack, I'm just suggesting things that are nice to have in these games. :)

Tendoman77

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
I'd recommend a few things:

- 251 Pokémon obtainable in game
- Restored maps from R/B/Y (Viridian Forest, Pewter Museum, Seafoam Islands, Safari Zone)
- Move Re-learner
- A more balanced difficulty (using HG/SS as a base for stats possibly, improving more mid to late game trainers in Johto and Kanto)
- Gym Leader rematch in Fighting Dojo in Saffron (battle any leader, any time of day, all day)
- Round 2 Pokémon League with levels matching or similar to HG/SS)

These are the features I would like to see in any Crystal hack. Good luck on your hack, I'm just suggesting things that are nice to have in these games. :)

Polished Crystal has most of them, this hack is fine the way it is.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 22, 2024
This is nice. Do you have the github? Would that be something you'd be willing to make it public?

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Sep 5, 2023
I'm interested, have you restored the original Pokécom Center and all of these sprites? https://iimarckus.org/i/changed-designs/

No to the Pokécom Center, without the old mobile phone functions, I didn't really see a point in restoring it.

The "Censored" ones, yes. The rest that were changed for the western release were fixing mistakes and are unchanged.

This is nice. Do you have the github? Would that be something you'd be willing to make it public?

I just downloaded the files onto my P.C. myself and worked from there. I'm not sure I even know how to put them online now. I am sure I could probably work it out.

Last edited:

Minato Riku

My Japanese Sweetheart
Years
@SuperEgz looks great matee, anyways how did you put RED's pokemon to Level 100!? can you tell the address HEX code if you don't mind!?

Years
  • Seen Sep 5, 2023
@SuperEgz looks great matee, anyways how did you put RED's pokemon to Level 100!? can you tell the address HEX code if you don't mind!?

I just edited the trainer file on the disassembly, This is what Red's code looks like:

Code:
RedGroup:
; ================================
; ================

; RED (1)
	db "RED@"
	db 3 ; moves

; party

db 100, PIKACHU, LIGHT_BALL
		db CHARM
		db QUICK_ATTACK
		db THUNDERBOLT