• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The beginning of pokemon games are so boring

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
You have a weak lv 5 starter and a bunch of tutorials and boring trainers with fodder pokemon to fight. The beginning always kills my interest in replaying a game

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
I guess after playing with pokemon so long and growing older I've become less patient ironically with replaying pokemon games.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen today
I'm playing X for the first time, and the beginning was still boring, despite never playing it.

I didn't care at all about the characters being introduced. I only wanted to start building my team.

Years
Yup, it is kinda boring with a few innovations here and there. I suppose that formula of taking it slow does help new generations of young, inexperienced connect each time. But yeah, the beginning of the game is usually a good time to do your homework, text a friend or make a sandwich. Things usually start to get intresting around your first gym battle.

I think the game that probably handles the the beginning in the most interesting way is Pokemon Black/ White. You get to have your first pokemon battle in your house and tear up the room. It's a straight shoot to town and as soon as you get there you stumble upon some intrigue that is important to the plot. The villain has been revealed, a political rally is going on and you meet the mysterious N, a telepathic figure who claims he can hear your pokemon's voice and then battles you. Underrated games Pokemon Black/ White.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
Nah, I disagree. I never find the beginning of a Pokemon game boring. You're staring a Pokemon journey, and getting a Pokemon, so I find it innovative. However... yeah, the unskippable tutorials are annoying. That never changes every single generation.

Maybe it's because I replay Pokemon games a lot? That could be why I don't find the beginnings boring!

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
It's unbearable the few times I have. I have to button mash A desperately for the first half hour just to start the damn game.

Last edited:

kitarei

☕ milk tea & 💻 code.
Years
I'm playing X for the first time, and the beginning was still boring, despite never playing it.

I didn't care at all about the characters being introduced. I only wanted to start building my team.

I recently picked up Y for the first time (I bought in on release but just NEVER got into it), and it's soooo freaking boring at the start. No wonder it's taken me so long to try and play it, lol.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 7, 2019
I think X/Y is at least better than Gen VII. It takes you a minimum of 15 minutes just to get your starter in Alola oh my GOD it's so boring.

Years
I can live with the slow start in Pokemon games, as long as it does a good job in building up the story. If it's just a bunch of needless tutorials though, it does bug me a bit. Like, thanks Professor Kukui for teaching me how to catch a Pokemon. I've just been trying to lasso them for the past 20 years.

Last edited:
Years
Really though, getting rid of the tutorials themselves would do wonders. Or at the very least, making them optional.

I think that's people main gripe more than anything else. I don't care if a Pokemon game has a slow start as long as that slow start is justified, and not by tutorials.

Back