• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ew! It's a girl.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 3, 2017
I have this unusual thing where if a Pokemon has a reference to a gender in its name (Such as Mr. Mime) and I have the option of getting the gender that does not match the name I will always go for that gender and then nickname it to match its current gender.
There aren't a lot of them but I have:
Slowsis
Ms. Mime
Seaqueen

HackChu

I need a haircut...
Years
I can't believe gender is something people care about. I don't have a preference since they mostly all look the same anyway. However when it comes to masculine Pokemon it is a bit weird to have a female version of it. And oddly at times it seems most of my pokemon are female. The only exception that I don't want a female with is Pikachu because I absolutely cannot stand its heart-shaped tail. I had to get lucky to catch a male version, and of course breeded them to get a male Pichu which is now a beloved powerful Raichu!

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
Years
I have this unusual thing where if a Pokemon has a reference to a gender in its name (Such as Mr. Mime) and I have the option of getting the gender that does not match the name I will always go for that gender and then nickname it to match its current gender.
There aren't a lot of them but I have:
Slowsis
Ms. Mime
Seaqueen

Haha, I love this! Now I want a Queendra.

Years
I always try to have 3 pokemon Female and 3 pokemon male in my team, I have no idea why or when I started this odd thing but now I feel its only 'fair' if I split it 50/50. If I have a genderless pokemon in my party then I throw the 50/50 idea out of the window and it's a free for all...

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
Years
I always try to have 3 pokemon Female and 3 pokemon male in my team, I have no idea why or when I started this odd thing but now I feel its only 'fair' if I split it 50/50. If I have a genderless pokemon in my party then I throw the 50/50 idea out of the window and it's a free for all...

That's what you'd call an equal opportunity Pokemon trainer.

isthatyoudan

doesn't work well with others...
Years
I don't care. I'll catch whatever comes my way first. The only effect it has on me is that I give my girls feminine nicknames and my guys masculine nicknames.
Remember though, some Pokémon are only one gender, like Frosslass and Mothim. Those ones are always the same gender. Weird.

AaronAbsol

AaronAbsol
Years
I used to always think gender affected a Pokémon's stats and performance in battle (with the exception of attract), so I never chose female Pokémon because I thought their stats were worse than those of the male gender.

Now it doesn't matter to me. Whether it looks like a masculine Pokémon or not, I just use it. This is especially if it's a rarer Pokémon, for example, like when I was searching for a Pikachu in Viridian Forest. It took a while, so when I found a female Pikachu, I just caught it. Plus, I don't normally nickname my Pokémon, so I never take that factor into consideration.

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
Years
For whatever reason I tend to like male Pokémon better, but that's probably because the Pokémon I use tend to make the most sense as males.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
Years
I used to always think gender affected a Pokémon's stats and performance in battle (with the exception of attract), so I never chose female Pokémon because I thought their stats were worse than those of the male gender.

Now it doesn't matter to me. Whether it looks like a masculine Pokémon or not, I just use it. This is especially if it's a rarer Pokémon, for example, like when I was searching for a Pikachu in Viridian Forest. It took a while, so when I found a female Pikachu, I just caught it. Plus, I don't normally nickname my Pokémon, so I never take that factor into consideration.

That actually was the case in Gen II. Gender was determined by attack IV's back then. Now it doesn't make a difference since the new data structure implemented in Gen III onward.

LilyAnn

All your base are belong to us
Years
Genders don't matter to me. I use a pokemon whether it's male or female. But somehow in my Y version my entire team ended up female. I don't know how this happened. xD I was a bit screwed since it was the team I use for online.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Mar 25, 2014
Unless it's a Pokémon that makes sense or looks like it should be a girl, I really don't like female Pokémon. All of my teams in all of my Pokémon games that I have now are all male. The gender of a Pokémon matters more to me than its nature, in all honesty. If I am hunting for a particular Pokémon that's hard to find, and I come across a female, I usually run away and keep looking. I guess I'm a bit of a Pokémon sexist.

Does the gender of a Pokémon matter to you as much as it does to me?

Abra has always come across as a male pokemon to me. Of course then again so do many other pokemon, like any pokemon from generation 1... I suppose it's because since those were times before any gender was put onto pokemon (except for nidorans) I self projected my own gender on the other pokemons.

From Laurentum

A Newbie in the Community
Years
I don't really mind the gender of the Pokemon unless if the Pokemon really looks feminine (like Jynx) or masculine (like Machomp) and if the gender affects the process of evolution. Most of the Pokemon in my team are coincidentally male though. I only have one female Pokemon in my team and that's Jynx.

Years
  • Seen Dec 6, 2014
Gender doesn't really matter to me unless I'm going to be putting them in one of my active teams. I just choose the gender on what I think looks best for that Pokemon's design.

大輔

Adventurer
Years
Eh, it depends on the situation. Like a female machamp makes me a little worried, but I really don't care. Their gender kind of helps shape their personality as a pokemon sometimes.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 7, 2018
I always like to have at least 1 or 2 strong independent women on my team who don't need no man.
They're good for attract pests.

imevil

Biggest Scyther Fan
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jun 5, 2016
I never care for gender. Unless I'm catching to specially bread, I might not even notice what gender they are.

BossBattle

Legend Hunter
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 31, 2013
I absolutely prefer the gender to be male whenever there is a possibility for it to be.The only situations where I wouldn't mind the Pokemon to be female is if their physical characteristics, to me, seem considerably feminine such as Jynx or Lopunny.

This is especially the case when I'm breeding my main team. Like this past weekend I have been Masuda Methoding up some shiny ShelmetsI have bred 3 so far. The first one was male, however it had too low of a Special Attack IV for competitive use so I had to box him and continue breeding. The 2nd and 3rd ones, to my great dismay, were females. As such, I didn't even check their IV's and immediately boxed em'.

Hoping to get my little buddy soon. And wishing good luck to all shiny hunters hunting for their perfect shiny.

Lost Lore

From the Shadows
Years
I have a preference for having an all-male team, with a few exceptions (like Altaria in Emerald and Infernape in Platinum, for example). If something looks "feminine" I'll sometimes insist on catching a female one, but usually I won't bother.

...Which is probably why I get more than a little peeved when people refer to things like Mawile and Mienshao (for example) as "she". Silly me, over-reacting like that~

Back