• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen A tale of three Johtos: the evolution of the Gen II maps over the development

A tale of three Johtos: the evolution of the Gen II maps

A tale of three Johtos: the evolution of the Gen II maps

You can’t make a game on your first try, and sometimes not even on your second. While developing Pokémon Gold and Silver, Game Freak went through several designs for Johto, which have now bee…

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
You can't make a game on your first try, and sometimes not even on your second. While developing Pokémon Gold and Silver, Game Freak went through several designs for Johto, which have now been leaked. Looking at how the world map was refined over the years tells us a lot about the evolution of the game as a whole.

PkmnTrainerElio

♥ Jung Hoseok, Kim Namjoon and Park Jimin ♥
Years
I'm glad they scrapped the forest before Mt. Silver, especially since the real-life location has garnered negative attention over the past twenty years.

Years
Wow that was a great read, thanks! Really interesting to see the changes in development for GS along the way, really wish we could have in-depth explanations for some of their original plans for the plot, towns etc. That surf route connecting Olivine to Goldenrod really interests me, as well as all the obnoxiously large towers haha.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
I'm glad they scrapped the forest before Mt. Silver, especially since the real-life location has garnered negative attention over the past twenty years.
Agreed. Seems a bit odd they even considered it at first... and even design wise it's just... off.
Wow that was a great read, thanks! Really interesting to see the changes in development for GS along the way, really wish we could have in-depth explanations for some of their original plans for the plot, towns etc. That surf route connecting Olivine to Goldenrod really interests me, as well as all the obnoxiously large towers haha.
Yeah, I also am interested to know more, such as how they really intended progression to go for travelling around Johto.

_pheebee

[I]Gosh! What's poppin'?[/i]
Years
I love seeing all these beta things.

And, I super enjoy seeing all the stages of Johto.
Often wonder how different GSC would be if in these regions.
While the newly discovered maps look more akin to modern day johto, the spaceworld johto is always an enigma I wish we could have played.

Back