• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you think you should be able to breed Legendary Pokémon?

Moltres Rider

Banned
Years
Should Legendary Pokémon have genders but still not be able to breed like Latias/Latios?

Latias and Latios are well known Legendary Pokémon for having a gender but you cannot breed them because they have no egg group... do you think all Legendary Pokémon should be the same way with a gender and no egg group? whether it will be at random or species specific, do you think they should have had genders to begin with with just no egg group so you cannot breed them? the original intention to not have a gender was so you could not breed them, you cannot breed Latias or Latios so.

Moltres Rider

Banned
Years
You cannot breed Legendary Pokémon. do you think you should have been able to breed them? and get breeding benefits from them such as moves or EVs? or just so you can trade one and keep one for yourself.

breeding Legendary Pokémon in my opinion should be possible, you could breed a legendary of one game e.g Pokémon Black trade it to another game e.g Pokémon White and have a Reshiram in Pokémon White and Pokémon Black without cheating

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Oct 25, 2013
No. In fact legendary pokèmons, even rare ones, are exceptional but in a way not really rare. If we are able to breed them they will lose significance and will ve just like any other pokèmons our there.
es them.

To me the best word for rare and legendary pokèmons are 'special' pokèmons. Shiny pokèmons are more passable as rare to me (rare not legendary)

Even when I started I prefered these so called legendary pokèmons to appear once and veeeeery random, meaning it can appear anywhere any time but only late game. This will make it very special and not everyone can have them boosting the ego and happiness of those who catch.

Last edited:
Years
Silver_Lugia_anime.png

Now 'aint that a cute lil' thing? Just look at it, awwww...

Years
Since you've got two threads both talking about legendary Pokemon and being able to breed them or not breed them, I think the discussion would be best suited in one thread.

I personally wouldn't mind if legendary Pokemon had the capability to breed, but I obviously understand that they don't want to have an unlimited number of legendary Pokemon available, or else you'd start seeing people with teams of 6 different Arceus or something.

MERGED.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
Reading through both posts both of them have the same grounds of 'breeding'. One simply asks whether legendaries should have genders so you can breed them and another is about whether you should be able to breed legendaries. The questions are close enough to be in the same thread imo. Otherwise people would be redundant in what they say in both threads.

I would be ok if Legendaries had genders. However, on the grounds of breeding them together not so much. Like what Brendino said if that was the case people would just breed legendaries and there would be so many around it'll be ridiculous. While there are a lot of legendaries the idea of them being only one of them in a game should stay how it is to at least try to keep the 'legendary' thing in mind.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
You can't breed legendary Pokémon in captivity. This sounds fine to me.

Legendary Pokémon can have genders or not. It doesn't bother me either way. They're no different to any other Pokémon in this regard (Magnemite is genderless, for example).

the original intention to not have a gender was so you could not breed them
Citation needed. The existence of Ditto means that the ability to breed is unrelated to having a gender.

Sirfetch’d

I don't mind not being able to breed legendary Pokemon. If we had the ability to breed them, they wouldn't be as special would they? We are given one per game for a reason and that is because of the fact that they are special Pokemon and it should remain that way. Obviously they can breed though as we have seen in the anime multiple times.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I'm fine with giving genders to legendaries, because every other Pokémon have one (well, almost). The only legendaries that shouldn't have genders are the ones that are truly meant to be genderless, such as Genesect. Genesect was once a real creature, but became extinct millions of years ago. With the help of technologies made by Team Rocket, this Pokémon was able to come back to life once again as a robot. Robots are mechanical, and machines don't have a gender. They're usually referred to as an "it."

As far as breeding goes—to be honest, I wouldn't like it at all if they allowed legendaries to breed. Legendary Pokémon are one-of-a-kind, and breeding simply takes that away from them. d: If they did enable us to breed with legendaries, then I'd like their eggs to hatch into Pokémon that are non-legendary.

Nymue

Draconic Neophyte
Years
I don't think there's much point having legendaries if you take away the only thing that really makes them special. They're meant to be on a completely different level than regular Pokemon, and that sense of being in a special category is part of their charm. It gives their storylines credibility. So no, I'm not interested in them being able to breed.

I really like them nongendered, too, since it just makes sense that gender would be pointless for them; gender doesn't signify anything useful or interesting outside of sexual characteristics and cultural associations, which I take issue with.

Last edited:

Decimosoma

Free to dream, free to smile
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 13, 2014
Legendaries have it's name for a reason. There is only one of them in each game. What if you could breed them? Then they wouldn't be called legendaries anymore and they wouldn't be special anymore. And breeding legendaries will also be a drag and stir up annoyance in online Battling.

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
Years
Genders for legendaries are perfectly alright, but not breeding. If one could breed legendaries, they wouldn't be special anymore would they? They'd be just like any ordinary Pokemon. Also, if they were breedable, one could breed a whole team of, for example, Arceus, attach different elemental plates to them and destroy all opposing challengers in competitive battlers. What would one gain from victory unworked for? Nothing? Exactly my point.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
It would be rather irrational, considering breeding itself is rather irrational in the games. Oh well, it's a digital fantasy world, so I'll give it the benefit of doubt. The main reason why such a thing should not be possible is that there cannot be two Arceus (or Arcei if you may) to breed among themselves, to give an example. You may counter this by saying that one of them may be of another egg group or Ditto. But back to the point, cross-breeding isn't natural. It's the general instinct of creatures (or to be more specific, creatures whom Pokémon are based on) to look for mates outside their own species. It IS possible in the real world, but it requires human intervention and is not quite the deal naturally.

As most of the above said, it will take pleasure out of the games and damage the aforementioned Pokémon's status of "legendary Pokémon".

I personally, however, feel that this should be possible only among legendaries themselves and not through outside means. I've made fanart of "baby legendary" Pokémon and thought of fan stories based on "legendary eggs" but I don't elaborate on the breeding part. So that side of me likes to theorize on multiple number of Pokémon of a legendary species and reproduction between them. Not a far-fetched idea by any amount, nope.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
I don't think legendary pokémon should have genders. At least not those who are meant to be one of a kind - they are placed in the world to fulfill a purpose, not to breed and evolve. Genders exist for the sake of reproduction :p At least physical genders. As such, there is no need for legendaries to have that, unless it's part of their thing as with Latias and Latios, where not many can argue against Latios being the more masculine in the pair.

But Reshiram and Zekrom could have been given genders just to reflect their yin-yang thing better. Their "thing" was ideals and truth though, not necessarily yin-yang. Maybe they should have made Reshiram female and Zekrom male just to go against the traditional genders given to the colors there. Still without an egg group though, so that they couldn't breed :] unless Ditto can breed without egg group? I don't really know how that works

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 6, 2013
I say nah. They wouldn't be legendaries in the first place! Everyone wanted a mew/mewto in the first gen is because practically no one had 'em :P If you saw 'em everywhere like zubats, that'd be annoying now would it? haha

Back