• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Gardenia Help

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jun 17, 2022
I'm at Gardenia right now and i wanna see if my team is good enough.

BRANCH: Grotle
Lv.21
Naughty Nature,
Overgrow Ability
67 HP, 48 Attack, 42 Defense, 31 Sp. Atk, 34 Sp. Def, 21 Speed.
Tackle, Withdraw, Absorb, Razor Leaf

PINKY: Shellos
Lv.19
Careful Nature,
Storm Drain Ability
58 HP, 27 Attack, 27 Defense, 27 Sp. Atk, 37 Sp. Def, 23 Speed.
Mud Bomb, Hidden Power, Harden, Water Pulse

NECESSITY: Bidoof
Lv.3
HM Slave Nature,
16 HP, 8 Attack, 7 Defense, 7 Sp. Atk, 7 Sp. Def, 6 Speed.
Tackle, Rock Smash

Am i ready for the battle? Any team suggestions? (Note: I will not remove Shellos or Grotle.)

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
I'm at Gardenia right now and i wanna see if my team is good enough.

BRANCH: Grotle
Lv.21
Naughty Nature,
Overgrow Ability
67 HP, 48 Attack, 42 Defense, 31 Sp. Atk, 34 Sp. Def, 21 Speed.
Tackle, Withdraw, Absorb, Razor Leaf

PINKY: Shellos
Lv.19
Careful Nature,
Storm Drain Ability
58 HP, 27 Attack, 27 Defense, 27 Sp. Atk, 37 Sp. Def, 23 Speed.
Mud Bomb, Hidden Power, Harden, Water Pulse

NECESSITY: Bidoof
Lv.3
HM Slave Nature,
16 HP, 8 Attack, 7 Defense, 7 Sp. Atk, 7 Sp. Def, 6 Speed.
Tackle, Rock Smash

Am i ready for the battle? Any team suggestions? (Note: I will not remove Shellos or Grotle.)

Um Gardenia is a Grass Type Trainer and you have a Grass type starter along with a Water type. Unless you got a Fire Type, Bug Type or a Flying Type in your back pocket, odds are you're not going to win as presently constructed.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
Yeah you're gonna have a rough time vs her if you go in like that, so you'll probably have to catch something if you wanna proceed.

I don't really remember the gist of what is available to one at that point in the game, but I know that Starly is obtainable by that point, and that would be good for you (it's also one of the better early game birds). Being Flying type, it has a type advantage vs the Eternia Gym, and will give you something you can Fly on later, given that's the one HM move Bidoof can't learn.

Ponyta is something that I think is possible to get by that point too, if a Fire type is more what you want. I think you can get Beautifly and Cascoon by now too, those might be worth it for the Gym at least.

MachoPony

Resident Brony
Years
Zubat seems perfect to take on Gardenia. by the time its ready to fight her itl know wing attack, might even be close to becoming golbat. and 4x resistance to grass (and resistant to roserade's poison sting) make it even better

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
Zubat seems perfect to take on Gardenia. by the time its ready to fight her itl know wing attack, might even be close to becoming golbat. and 4x resistance to grass (and resistant to roserade's poison sting) make it even better

Ah I totally forgot about this option. Zubat x 9000 due to the fact you'll eventually get Crobat and having resistance to Grass Types by being Flying AND Poison is actually the best Pokemon option around. Super Effective moves while resisting anything her Pokemon can dish out.

Years
Like the others suggested, your team is not really built for dealing with Grass-types, so it's best you get something that can easily beat them. Starly can easily be obtainable at this point, and being one of the better early-game birds it can do the job.

Otherwise, there's Ponyta directly east of Eterna City if you need that. Zubat are also available in cave areas, or the Wurmple line in Eterna Forest. Starly is probably the best of the bunch with Zubat a close second, but go with what suits your team.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jun 17, 2022
I beat her using that exact team. Now i need help with Fantina.
I have a Torterra Lv.33, Gastrodon Lv.31, Blissey Lv.24, Bronzor Lv.30, Bidoof Lv.5, and Starly Lv.3.

Last edited:

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
I beat her using that exact team. Now i need help with Fantina.
I have a Torterra Lv.33, Gastrodon Lv.31, Blissey Lv.24, Bronzor Lv.30, Bidoof Lv.5, and Starly Lv.3.

Fantina is Ghost so any Normal Type with Dark/Ghost Type moves will do the job admirably. Hence Blissey can be your go to option if she knows anything Super Effective on Ghost Types(like Shadow Ball).

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jun 17, 2022
Fantina is Ghost so any Normal Type with Dark/Ghost Type moves will do the job admirably. Hence Blissey can be your go to option if she knows anything Super Effective on Ghost Types(like Shadow Ball).

Sadly, BLISS doesn't know any Ghost/Dark moves... but BRANCH does.

Back